Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 12/2/2010 4:08:43 PM EDT
I find this to be a gray area of tipping because the restaurant didn't have to wait on you. Yet, the expectation of a tip is still there. I spoke to a server at Chili's once who said that he still deserves a tip for preparing the food "to go", which basically means putting it into styrofoam boxes and into a bag with plasticware.

FWIW, I have lately started tipping a dollar or two just for kicks when I pick up my order. I'm traveling on business so it's not coming out of my pocket anyway.
Link Posted: 12/2/2010 4:10:39 PM EDT
[#1]
I tip $1 plus the amount of change to round up to the next dollar.
Bill is $10.60, I tip $12
Link Posted: 12/2/2010 4:11:22 PM EDT
[#2]
No. Actually have never heard of it till now.
Link Posted: 12/2/2010 4:12:54 PM EDT
[#3]
I gave a pizza delivery lady like a 40-50 dollar tip one time. The order was like 30 dollars and I got locked out. I had to call a buddy to come and let  me in, I didn't have my cell and she let me use her phone. I was about into half a bottle of vodka and countless beers which may have helped the fact that I gave her such a large tip but at the time I just wanted to be let inside and didn't like the prospect of sitting outside all fucking night, when they passed out.
Link Posted: 12/2/2010 4:13:42 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:

I gave a pizza delivery lady like a 40-50 dollar tip one time. The order was like 30 dollars and I got locked out. I had to call a buddy to come and let  me in, I didn't have my cell and she let me use her phone. I was about into half a bottle of vodka and countless beers which may have helped the fact that I gave her such a large tip but at the time I just wanted to be let inside and didn't like the prospect of sitting outside all fucking night, when they passed out.

Thanks for the story, but it's not the same situation.
Link Posted: 12/2/2010 4:15:46 PM EDT
[#5]
No. I tip for good service.  No service was provided.
Link Posted: 12/2/2010 4:20:37 PM EDT
[#6]
I pick up NO
I have it delivered YES
Link Posted: 12/2/2010 4:21:44 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

Quoted:

Thanks for the story, but it's not the same situation.

Perfect situation to use the CSB image, but you blew it
Link Posted: 12/2/2010 4:24:05 PM EDT
[#8]
If I go to that restaurant often, yes. It makes me a little more confident they won't fuck with my food the next time...
Link Posted: 12/2/2010 4:24:58 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
I pick up NO
I have it delivered YES

Link Posted: 12/2/2010 4:29:09 PM EDT
[#10]
i tip our delivery guys around $5

the other week i ordered some large pizzas on a friday night, i was told it would take about an hour, it was here in 20 minutes. tipping helps.

picking up food, or ordering at a fast food restaurant, i don't tip.... that's ridiculous
Link Posted: 12/2/2010 4:30:11 PM EDT
[#11]
I tip deliveries, but if Im picking it up myself, I paid for the food, and thats enough.
Link Posted: 12/2/2010 4:30:16 PM EDT
[#12]
I only tip if they deliver it on time, with the correct stuff, and no bad attitude.

ETA: Almost never.

Link Posted: 12/2/2010 4:33:33 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
I only tip if they deliver it on time, with the correct stuff, and no bad attitude.

ETA: Almost never.

Wonder why?

Link Posted: 12/2/2010 4:34:03 PM EDT
[#14]
Link Posted: 12/2/2010 4:35:00 PM EDT
[#15]
I only tip when I either get delivery or if I actually sit down at a restaurant.
Link Posted: 12/2/2010 4:38:21 PM EDT
[#16]
Not for pick up but I will for delivery.
Link Posted: 12/2/2010 4:45:02 PM EDT
[#17]
How large are her breasts, and did she let you look down her cleavage?  
Link Posted: 12/2/2010 4:45:49 PM EDT
[#18]
Yes, about $1. They are usually waiters so they are still making $4 an hour or so.
Link Posted: 12/2/2010 6:58:10 PM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:

Yes, about $1. They are usually waiters so they are still making $4 an hour or so.

So it's your responsibility to make sure they make minimum wage? I cannot understand the mentality of people who willingly take jobs that pay less than minimum wage and complain when someone doesn't tip.

Link Posted: 12/2/2010 7:05:05 PM EDT
[#20]
I hate tipping or being coerced to tip outside of a sit down resturaunt. My biggest pet peeve is the debit card machines that print out the reciept with a spot for a tip on it. Then you look like a major douche because you have to write zero in the spot and hand it back. Last night we went to the new chinese take out place with that exact scenario. It's like Panda Express, where they dish up the food cafeteria style and you pay. I wrote a buck in that spot out of guilt, but it pissed me off. The hole in the wall mexican place I usually get lunch from is the same way. No I don't want to tip you for handing me my 3 dollar burrito.
Link Posted: 12/2/2010 7:38:12 PM EDT
[#21]
for those who do not tip... do you cross out the tip line?
Link Posted: 12/2/2010 7:38:48 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
I pick up NO
I have it delivered YES

Link Posted: 12/2/2010 8:34:51 PM EDT
[#23]
Pick up..no
delivery-yes
Link Posted: 12/2/2010 8:52:23 PM EDT
[#24]
If it's a restaurant I will be back to or frequent I always leave a tip.  If it's a one-off, or I'm out of town, etc, I usually will also tip if I find the cashier to be pleasant.

Those folks work for peanuts whether you're dining in or out.

And in the instances where I'm a repeat customer or a place I frequent, my generosity and kindness ALWAYS pays off...whether it's ensuring my food is cooked to perfection, or my drinks are poured strong, or there's an unusually long line and I'm noticed and served faster, tipping does return dividends, but mostly it's because those jobs suck.

I will NOT, however, tip just because there's a jar, or if the cashier/server is rude/cold/disengaged.  

Link Posted: 12/2/2010 8:58:26 PM EDT
[#25]
If I pick up my food, I don't even think of tipping. I do give at least 20% for being waited on.
Link Posted: 12/2/2010 9:00:32 PM EDT
[#26]
Do you tip a bartender?  Pouring a jack and coke or popping open a beer takes less effort than stopping to answer your call, taking your order, putting it in the system, then walking to the back to get your food, checking it to make sure it is right, running your card, etc.  

Front of the house works for tips.  If you don't want to tip for pickup go to a drive through.  Just because they don't fill yer coke up 5 times doesn't mean they aren't serving you.  They are ignoring their bar or table customers who DO tip to service your takeout order.  Restaurant != fast food.

That is assuming good service of course.  When I worked in restaurants 15 years ago 10% was the norm on pickups.
Link Posted: 12/2/2010 9:02:53 PM EDT
[#27]

Quoted:

for those who do not tip... do you cross out the tip line?

Haha!  Yes, I cross it out.  Don't want them taking any liberties, ya know?

I don't feel bad about it.  

Link Posted: 12/2/2010 9:05:33 PM EDT
[#28]
If I have to into a place to pick up food then not only no, but hell no.  If you deliver, you get a tip.  If you wait on my table and are not bad at it, you get a tip.  Tipping for takeout is boarding on the line of tipping at the McDonalds register because the fry guy threw your fries into the cardboard sleeve.
Link Posted: 12/2/2010 9:10:21 PM EDT
[#29]
Nope I don't tip for to go orders.
Link Posted: 12/2/2010 9:14:10 PM EDT
[#30]
I tip the driver for delivery,
Link Posted: 12/2/2010 9:14:56 PM EDT
[#31]

Quoted:

Do you tip a bartender? Pouring a jack and coke or popping open a beer takes less effort than stopping to answer your call, taking your order, putting it in the system, then walking to the back to get your food, checking it to make sure it is right, running your card, etc.

Front of the house works for tips. If you don't want to tip for pickup go to a drive through. Just because they don't fill yer coke up 5 times doesn't mean they aren't serving you. They are ignoring their bar or table customers who DO tip to service your takeout order. Restaurant != fast food.

That is assuming good service of course. When I worked in restaurants 15 years ago 10% was the norm on pickups.

I was an order taker/pizza maker at Domino's and Papa Johns during my time in college, I didn't get tips. I don't see why I should tip someone else doing that exact same job just because they work at a real pizza joint.
Link Posted: 12/2/2010 9:16:59 PM EDT
[#32]
Write a Zero and total our at the bottom
Link Posted: 12/2/2010 9:17:59 PM EDT
[#33]
Hell no.

What service am I tipping for?

No waitress/waiter/server or delivery person = no tip
Link Posted: 12/2/2010 9:19:44 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

Quoted:
Do you tip a bartender? Pouring a jack and coke or popping open a beer takes less effort than stopping to answer your call, taking your order, putting it in the system, then walking to the back to get your food, checking it to make sure it is right, running your card, etc.

Front of the house works for tips. If you don't want to tip for pickup go to a drive through. Just because they don't fill yer coke up 5 times doesn't mean they aren't serving you. They are ignoring their bar or table customers who DO tip to service your takeout order. Restaurant != fast food.

That is assuming good service of course. When I worked in restaurants 15 years ago 10% was the norm on pickups.

I was an order taker/pizza maker at Domino's and Papa Johns during my time in college, I didn't get tips. I don't see why I should tip someone else doing that exact same job just because they work at a real pizza joint.

Did you make at least minimum wage?  Dominos and Papas are not restaurants.  The order taker/pizza makers do not work for tips.  Drivers do yet everyone says they tip them.  Analogy fail.

Link Posted: 12/2/2010 9:21:33 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
No. I tip for good service.  No service was provided.

Not entirely true.  The server who got your order together is often times also serving other customers.  That means your stuff sits while they deal with tipping customers.  If you don't tip, you are a lower priority than they are.  Regardless, they are providing a service.  Packaging and cooking (they may tip out the cooks) as well as ringing you up is service whether you like it or not.  If you become a regular at a place you should tip for carry out, unless you want your food sitting there for an extra 5 minutes.  It doesn't take much either.  A couple bucks is good.
Link Posted: 12/2/2010 9:26:48 PM EDT
[#36]
I got OutBack to go once, the spots reserved for to go parking were taken. I had to park in the back of the lot, walk in. I waited 20 minutes for an order that I was told was ready. The girl handed me the bag, I paid and walked out. My friend gave me a look between and and said I was fucked up for not tipping her. I asked why shoudl I tip,they did nothing that was good customer service. His argument that it was customary to tip the order taker/giver.

I tip the pizza delivery person very well( good tips lead to faster deliveries ). And I'll tip the waiter/waitress based on how well their service was( 10-15%).
Link Posted: 12/2/2010 9:28:02 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:

Quoted:

So it's your responsibility to make sure they make minimum wage? I cannot understand the mentality of people who willingly take jobs that pay less than minimum wage and complain when someone doesn't tip.  

They take a job for under minimum wage because people tip.  Tipping is one of the few really free market aspects of our economy.  It is assumed that a certain level of service results in a certain amount say 10-20%.  Then better or worse service earns more or less money.  Too bad more jobs didn't work that way.
Link Posted: 12/2/2010 9:28:13 PM EDT
[#38]
Just to be clear, no I don't tip at a Subway unless something extraordinary happens or if I went there multiple times per week.  No tips picking up a pizza from Dominos.  Walking up to a bar in a restaurant for takeout does warrant a tip.  If the person serving you works for tips, you should tip them or go elsewhere.
Link Posted: 12/2/2010 9:29:45 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
I got OutBack to go once, the spots reserved for to go parking were taken. I had to park in the back of the lot, walk in. I waited 20 minutes for an order that I was told was ready. The girl handed me the bag, I paid and walked out. My friend gave me a look between and and said I was fucked up for not tipping her. I asked why shoudl I tip,they did nothing that was good customer service. His argument that it was customary to tip the order taker/giver.

I tip the pizza delivery person very well( good tips lead to faster deliveries ). And I'll tip the waiter/waitress based on how well their service was( 10-15%).

I have no problem with that, and I tip well.  Shitty service doesn't deserve a tip.
Link Posted: 12/2/2010 9:30:20 PM EDT
[#40]
I tip whenever it's remotely appropriate because it brightens up someone's day.

Link Posted: 12/2/2010 9:32:42 PM EDT
[#41]
i dont feel the need to tip because society says i have too.
the people at mcdonalds serve you food but you dont
tip them.

––
Link Posted: 12/2/2010 9:34:50 PM EDT
[#42]

Quoted:

I find this to be a gray area of tipping because the restaurant didn't have to wait on you. Yet, the expectation of a tip is still there. I spoke to a server at Chili's once who said that he still deserves a tip for preparing the food "to go", which basically means putting it into styrofoam boxes and into a bag with plasticware.

FWIW, I have lately started tipping a dollar or two just for kicks when I pick up my order. I'm traveling on business so it's not coming out of my pocket anyway.

Using the Chili's server argument, I should also be expected to tip at McDonalds. After all, the put the food into a box and bag with a straw and napkins.

At a sitdown restaurant where they're bringing menus, filling drinks, etc., tipping is customary. If I'm picking up the food, no tip.

Why don't I just tip the person behind the counter at 7-11  when they place my Pepsi and snickers bar in a bag too. That Chili's server is living in dreamland.

Link Posted: 12/2/2010 11:08:50 PM EDT
[#43]
to go at an eat in restaraunt, yes.  its actually a lot more involved than youd imagine, and can get very busy.  These people are paid to run the cash register or some other job and have to sqeeze in time to get your food ready.  They do everything a waiter does except get drinks(unless you get some to go).  The only difference is they bring it to your car and not your table.  That said they get paid more too, I usually tip $1-$2 unless its a huge order, then i add more.  Its not a 15-20% thing like eat-in.

Quoted:

Quoted:

because non-tippers are freeloaders.  You paid for food, not service.  People who dont pay for service once rarely get it again.  Then complain that thier drinks dont get refilled or the server spent too much time at other tables(who tip).  Boo hoo, It aint unicef.
Link Posted: 12/2/2010 11:17:57 PM EDT
[#44]
Yes, because I'm not a fucking douchebag.  Our to-go people are paid $2.13 an hour, just like servers.  They probably spend almost as much time on an order as I do waiting on a table.  Time on the phone, time entering the order, time going back and forth with the kitchen guys to get everything they need, time making little containers of every retarded condiment the customer can think of, time boxing all the shit up, and lastly...bringing it out the car, even when it's raining, sleeting etc.  

If I don't want to tip, I seek out places that don't put a tip line on their to-go food orders, like Pei Wei.  Maybe you guys should do the same, or keep being jackasses.

This applies to sit-down restaurants, not fast food and such.  I'm talking Chili's, Saltgrass, Fridays, that kind of place.
Link Posted: 12/2/2010 11:18:51 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:

Quoted:

Using the Chili's server argument, I should also be expected to tip at McDonalds. After all, the put the food into a box and bag with a straw and napkins.

At a sitdown restaurant where they're bringing menus, filling drinks, etc., tipping is customary. If I'm picking up the food, no tip.

Why don't I just tip the person behind the counter at 7-11  when they place my Pepsi and snickers bar in a bag too. That Chili's server is living in dreamland.

a lot more work goes into your food in those instances.  One is throwing stuff into a bag, the other is preparing all your shit, then putting it into a bag.  Just letting you know so that if you start getting shitty food, you know why.
Link Posted: 12/2/2010 11:25:58 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:
Quoted:

I have no problem with that, and I tip well.  Shitty service doesn't deserve a tip.

Stonerriflefan should have spoken to the manager with his complaint, they need to know about bad service when it occurs.  Don't JUST not tip, escalate the issue so it can be fixed for others in the future.

Edit: Just noticed the 10% bit.  That'd better be for questionable service, because the only people who tip 10% for good service are white trash, and other forms of trash.
Link Posted: 12/3/2010 6:42:58 AM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Stonerriflefan should have spoken to the manager with his complaint, they need to know about bad service when it occurs.  Don't JUST not tip, escalate the issue so it can be fixed for others in the future.

Edit: Just noticed the 10% bit.  That'd better be for questionable service, because the only people who tip 10% for good service are white trash, and other forms of trash.

So what is the standard for tipping? Since I've been single the last couple years the only time I eat out is with a friend and his wife or I'll take my parents out to breakfast or dinner once in a while.  Last time I went out it was Applebees and it was three people the bill was $53 and we left a $10 and change for a tip. Little more than 15% tip if my math is correct.
Only time I leave 10% or less is when the food server is just plain horrible and I will complain to the manager or hostess. The only time I feel that 20% or more is warranted is when you have a large party of people like 5 or more.
Link Posted: 12/3/2010 6:44:27 AM EDT
[#48]
Link Posted: 12/3/2010 6:46:30 AM EDT
[#49]
If it's a big order, or they bring it out to the car, then yes I would tip a few bucks (half of what I might for delivery) I tip the pizza counter guy a few bucks sometimes because when I get pizza with certain friends we get some weird stuff.

Link Posted: 12/3/2010 6:48:29 AM EDT
[#50]
Yes.....usually a dollar or so.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Top Top