Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 12/3/2010 6:49:38 AM EDT
[#1]
Quoted:
I only tip if they deliver it on time, with the correct stuff, and no bad attitude.

ETA: Almost never.

Has it ever occurred to you that the reason you don't get good service is because you have shown yourself not appreciate the service you've been given in the past?

If your experience with ALL delivery services has been sub-par it may be necessary to point out that the only constant in the equation is you.
Link Posted: 12/3/2010 6:54:57 AM EDT
[#2]
I do. On some of the places, they do car side, so the person runs it out to your car. FWIW, the people working on the car side and to go don't get as much as the kitchen staff, but they also make more then a normal server. Usually around $5-$6 an hour. So they do depend on tips to make normal min wages.
Link Posted: 12/3/2010 7:02:20 AM EDT
[#3]
If I'm getting food to go from a fast food place, then no I don't tip.  If I'm ordering take out from a sit down restaurant, then yes I usually tip a few dollars when I pick it up.
Link Posted: 12/3/2010 7:05:38 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
Yes, because I'm not a fucking douchebag.  Our to-go people are paid $2.13 an hour, just like servers.  They probably spend almost as much time on an order as I do waiting on a table.  Time on the phone, time entering the order, time going back and forth with the kitchen guys to get everything they need, time making little containers of every retarded condiment the customer can think of, time boxing all the shit up, and lastly...bringing it out the car, even when it's raining, sleeting etc.  

If I don't want to tip, I seek out places that don't put a tip line on their to-go food orders, like Pei Wei.  Maybe you guys should do the same, or keep being jackasses.

This applies to sit-down restaurants, not fast food and such.  I'm talking Chili's, Saltgrass, Fridays, that kind of place.

To echo another poster...why is it the customers job to make up for the fact that the restaurant can't pay their employee's a decent wage.  This is why I hardly ever go to a place where I have to be waited on.  First you get food that is overpriced for what you get and then you are expected to make up the crappy pay a server gets with a tip.  I had a gift card for the Olive Garden.  The wife and I went there for diner.  I'll be honest, I've gotten food  just as good at Fazoli's for half the price...and I'm not expected to throw an extra 15% on top of the unreasonable bill to pay for the short-fall.  
Link Posted: 12/3/2010 7:08:00 AM EDT
[#5]
why the fuck should you they price the food you pay gas to go pick it up what are you tipping for ? some dumb bitch to swipe your CC then steal you CC info yea that'll work

So far 20% of arfcommers are dipshits
Link Posted: 12/3/2010 7:08:28 AM EDT
[#6]
No.  Heck I get take out and eat in the back of the parking lot to avoid the tip - and people

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 12/3/2010 7:09:43 AM EDT
[#7]
I do, but only the change in coins.  If the bucket is within reach.

I do not tip at drive thru for anything.
Link Posted: 12/3/2010 7:10:17 AM EDT
[#8]
No, it's just like going to the drive through.
Link Posted: 12/3/2010 7:15:12 AM EDT
[#9]
I do at Buffalo Wild Wings because our local one always goes through the entire order to make sure everything is there and correct. Now I get free ranch which you normally only get one if you eat in but the same guy is always there and just asks how many I need.
Link Posted: 12/3/2010 7:15:35 AM EDT
[#10]
that would be like tipping at drive through
Link Posted: 12/3/2010 7:18:00 AM EDT
[#11]
Yes, sometimes. As others have said if it's a place I frequent it helps to get on their good side and a buck here and there isn't hurting me any. However I better be greeted with a smile and treated well if they expect that tip. I can't stand employees that don't care.

There's a chick that makes smoothies by the gym I go to and I wonder if she's caught on yet that she gets a tip when she smiles and greets customers, and doesn't get a tip when she doesn't.

Link Posted: 12/3/2010 7:28:06 AM EDT
[#12]
A lot of Arfcommers won't tip if it is delivered to their front door - 10 miles from the restaurant.
Link Posted: 12/3/2010 7:40:40 AM EDT
[#13]
Yes.
Link Posted: 12/3/2010 7:41:29 AM EDT
[#14]
I tip at the dunkin donuts I go to daily.  I get amazing service.  If I'm picking up a bag of package food from a take out place I go to sporadically, then there's no need to tip.  Might as well start tipping the baggers at grocery stores.
Link Posted: 12/3/2010 7:46:42 AM EDT
[#15]
do you tip the teller at your bank? or the cashier at the grocery store? or best buy?
hell no.
they do not provide a service, they are doing their job.
waiting tables can be done very well or very poorly. ringing food out at a register can be done or done slowly. that has no bearing on my enjoyment of the food or if i run out of a beverage.
Link Posted: 12/3/2010 7:48:59 AM EDT
[#16]
On a to-go or pick up order? Never. On a delivery? Always.
Link Posted: 12/3/2010 7:49:24 AM EDT
[#17]
I don't tip the Coke machine when I buy a can, why would I tip a pick up order?  No service, no tip.
Link Posted: 12/3/2010 7:58:50 AM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:

Yes, about $1. They are usually waiters so they are still making $4 an hour or so.

Bullshit.

Here in WA they make minimum wage (the highest in the country) + tips.

I know multiple servers who easily clear $20-$30 a hour on average.
Link Posted: 12/3/2010 8:49:07 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
I don't tip the Coke machine when I buy a can, why would I tip a pick up order?  No service, no tip.

A lot of places share tips with the kitchen, who did work to prepare your food whether it goes out on plates or in styrofoam. Plus someone had to put it in the take out boxes and bag it up. That's all service. I'm not saying you should leave 20%, but it wouldn't kill you to leave a buck or two.
Link Posted: 12/4/2010 7:07:27 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
for those who do not tip... do you cross out the tip line?

If I do tip, it's in cash.
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top