Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 3
Posted: 11/4/2010 2:32:54 PM EDT

What's the value of a song? Jammie Thomas-Rasset has spent the last few
years in court debating that question. The Minnesota mother of four is
being penalized for illegally downloading 24 songs on the peer-to-peer
file-sharing network Kazaa in 2006, but how much she owes the record
labels has been in question. The jury in her third trial has just ruled
that Thomas-Rasset should pay Capitol Records $1.5 million....................

Full story here: http://new.music.yahoo.com/blogs/amplifier/148/minnesota-mom-hit-with-15-million-fine-for-downloading-24-songs/

Link Posted: 11/4/2010 2:33:51 PM EDT
[#1]
This is so stupid.  If I go down and steal two cd's I don't get fined 1.5 million.
Link Posted: 11/4/2010 2:34:24 PM EDT
[#2]
That ought to teach her.

I guess she goes to Bankruptcy Court next.
Link Posted: 11/4/2010 2:34:26 PM EDT
[#3]
Oh well. It sucks when you violate copyright law and get caught.
Link Posted: 11/4/2010 2:34:46 PM EDT
[#4]
I don't like thieves, but that is pretty ridiculous.
Link Posted: 11/4/2010 2:36:03 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

The thieves in this situation are the lawyers.
Link Posted: 11/4/2010 2:36:39 PM EDT
[#6]
It's funny how many of the "artists" that are all anti-piracy are liberals.
Link Posted: 11/4/2010 2:36:41 PM EDT
[#7]
post in support of illegal activities
Link Posted: 11/4/2010 2:37:14 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

We're all criminals of something or the other.
Link Posted: 11/4/2010 2:39:37 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Quoted:

+1.

F the RIAA and the record companies.  I don't fileshare music but I refuse to buy their s**t anymore either, knowing that I'm just paying for more of this abuse of my fellow citizens.

Quoted:
Quoted:

Very true.

This is at most the equivalent of a speeding ticket.  The excessive beyond any comprehension penalties is what has destroyed any sense of moral authority that the record companies and their appointed representatives might have had on this issue.
Link Posted: 11/4/2010 2:40:29 PM EDT
[#10]
If I'm not mistaken, her first judgment was reasonable.  That is of course after she decided not to pay the $1,000(or whatever they were asking) and decided to take it to court.
Link Posted: 11/4/2010 2:41:11 PM EDT
[#11]
I used to like Metalica until they lead the charge on file sharing. Now I change the station if they're on. They could give a rat's ass, but I feel better.
Link Posted: 11/4/2010 2:41:24 PM EDT
[#12]
it should be illegal for the people that ride with me in my truck to hear the music that I'm listening to since they didn't pay for it....that's as idiotic as this fine, I got it...she broke the law but wtf
Link Posted: 11/4/2010 2:42:37 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

+1.

F the RIAA and the record companies.  I don't fileshare music but I refuse to buy their s**t anymore either, knowing that I'm just paying for more of this abuse of my fellow citizens.

Say she pays it.

How much of that 1.5 million winds up going into the .govs pocket as taxes?
Link Posted: 11/4/2010 2:44:02 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
That ought to teach her.

My boss was telling me about an investigative report the other day where they looked into what happens after a settlement.  Something like 80% of the people never saw a dime.   Part of me was very happy about that and part of me wasn't as I want to sue California when they send me an IOU on taxes they collected on income I didn't have.

Link Posted: 11/4/2010 2:44:35 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
I used to like Metalica until they lead the charge on file sharing. Now I change the station if they're on. They could give a rat's ass, but I feel better.

I used to buy all their shit until they did what they did - since the Napster debacle I haven't bought a thing.
Link Posted: 11/4/2010 2:44:51 PM EDT
[#16]
RICHARD MARX???? WTF!!!!
Link Posted: 11/4/2010 2:44:53 PM EDT
[#17]
When they started doing this is when I quit buying cds.  ((shrugs))  Used to buy up to a dozen a month.
Link Posted: 11/4/2010 2:45:57 PM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Absolutely.  Why is the website owner not responsible?

Link Posted: 11/4/2010 2:48:20 PM EDT
[#19]
I'm confused, who is the thief?

I mean some lady stole 30.00 bucks worth of CDs and the CD company is awarded 1.5 million? That is what, life in prison if you don't have the cash?
Link Posted: 11/4/2010 2:48:46 PM EDT
[#20]
Just wait until Congressmen who have been bought by the recording/copyright people make even more barbaric penalties in law for file sharing.

I mean some lady stole 30.00 bucks worth of CDs and the CD company is awarded 1.5 million? That is what, life in prison if you don't have the cash?

They're never going to see a dime. Essentially they're forcing her into bankruptcy over something more minor than shop lifting.
Link Posted: 11/4/2010 2:49:38 PM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:

That ought to teach her.

Link Posted: 11/4/2010 2:50:58 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

+1.

Say she pays it.

My guess would be almost none.  Almost all the money goes into the RIAA where they will use it to pay business expenses of more of these asinine lawsuits.
Link Posted: 11/4/2010 2:51:45 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
When they started doing this is when I quit buying cds.  ((shrugs))  Used to buy up to a dozen a month.

Buy em used at a pawn shop and rip em.
Link Posted: 11/4/2010 2:51:58 PM EDT
[#24]
no, but you get arrested and get your butthole widen by Bubba
Link Posted: 11/4/2010 2:52:08 PM EDT
[#25]
If she was hot, she wouldn't have gotten a second "please pay us" letter.
Link Posted: 11/4/2010 2:53:11 PM EDT
[#26]
From now on I only by music on old vinyl.
Link Posted: 11/4/2010 2:53:16 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

+1.

Say she pays it.

My guess would be almost none.  Almost all the money goes into the RIAA where they will use it to pay business expenses of more of these asinine lawsuits.

So the RIAA operates like Fred Phelps and the Westboro scum?
Link Posted: 11/4/2010 2:54:14 PM EDT
[#28]
I thought the RIAA burned down the file sharers, not the downloaders.

There have to be far bigger, more cash supplied fish in the sea.
Link Posted: 11/4/2010 2:54:57 PM EDT
[#29]
She got charged that for downloading?  I understand the big fines for uploading songs a little better, but I still think it's ridiculous. But seriously, if I download a 99 cent song for free, I should be charged 99 cents.

I'm just going to stick with tape recording songs off the radio like I used to.
Link Posted: 11/4/2010 2:55:29 PM EDT
[#30]
Link Posted: 11/4/2010 2:58:13 PM EDT
[#31]
Meh, she looks like a woman of means
Link Posted: 11/4/2010 3:00:15 PM EDT
[#32]
She looks like she could just laugh at them and tell them good fucking luck with that.
Link Posted: 11/4/2010 3:00:16 PM EDT
[#33]
That's $62,500.00 per song. Damn, I need to become a song writer.
Link Posted: 11/4/2010 3:01:17 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
It's funny how many of the "artists" that are all anti-piracy are liberals.

Liberals have never been known to be charitable with their own money. Now, other people's money is a different story.
Link Posted: 11/4/2010 3:03:39 PM EDT
[#35]
$1.5 is fucking laughable.  Is she gonna pay it?  Could she ever pay it?

It's a fucking farce.

I hate thieves, but let's keep this in the realm of reality.  Steal $10.00 worth of music, then pay a $100.00 fine.  Give the musician and the publishers their ten dollars plus costs and damages, give the the investigators and lawyers their share, and throw a bone to some .gov agency and be done with it.

This way the system gets money to go for the violators and the violators get a chance to consider the risks outside of fucking fantasy land judgments.

Buncha' slack-jawed ritards, I tells ya'.

Link Posted: 11/4/2010 3:04:38 PM EDT
[#36]

Quoted:

Quoted:

+1

Link Posted: 11/4/2010 3:13:35 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
Quoted:

If you say so. Just don't get caught.

Link Posted: 11/4/2010 3:15:25 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
8th Amendment violation?

I've thought about that, does it apply to civil judgements though? I would think that it does but I don't know about case law on the matter.
Link Posted: 11/4/2010 3:19:35 PM EDT
[#39]
Yea that will show her.

Cost of songs + Court costs + whatever the fine is for petty theft.

Link Posted: 11/4/2010 3:27:40 PM EDT
[#40]
Link Posted: 11/4/2010 3:34:43 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Then repawn them!
Link Posted: 11/4/2010 3:36:50 PM EDT
[#42]
My feelings on this are sort of mixed.

On one hand, I support copyright as necessary to help provide incentives for artists and content creators to produce work for the public.

On the other hand, I have pretty much no sympathy for the recording industry because of how they clung to an outdated business model for years and failed to take early steps to mitigate piracy.  They had to be dragged kicking and screaming into the 21st century.
Link Posted: 11/4/2010 3:45:01 PM EDT
[#43]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Always.  The only "winners" in the courtroom.

ETA - Morally bankrupt scum, and I have a few too.  Hate them all, even the "friendlies".

Link Posted: 11/4/2010 3:48:01 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Then repawn them!

You joke about it, I know some people who do that with CD's & DVD's. Even some PS2 & PS3 games, rip the music off of them and give em back to their kids.  Parents are listening to them on their MP3's.
Link Posted: 11/4/2010 3:51:16 PM EDT
[#45]
Link Posted: 11/4/2010 3:53:07 PM EDT
[#46]

WTF.

Declare bankruptcy. lol
Link Posted: 11/4/2010 3:55:59 PM EDT
[#47]
Link Posted: 11/4/2010 3:58:38 PM EDT
[#48]
Sounds like she got caught in one of those "Sue everyone we can, maybe some will pay" nets.
Link Posted: 11/4/2010 4:30:22 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:

Quoted:
That ought to teach her.

Might not be able to discharge it in bankruptcy. It might be considered an intentional act and not subject to being discharged in bankruptcy. It looks like this has actually been litigated a couple of times in bankruptcy court but I don't really want to spend the time right now looking all of that up.  

A couple of educated guesses from skimming a few articles on this. It sounds like there was plenty of evidence beyond the IP address that she did do the downloading, despite this blogger acting like that's in doubt. If a jury believed her to be a lying sack of shit, that sometimes goes a long way towards explaining why someone got whacked with a big judgment, just a guess.

The judgment was reduced to $ 54,000 and the RIAA offered to settle for $ 25,000, which I bet is far less than their attorneys fees for the first two trials. She "almost immediatly" rejected that offer and dragged them into trial number three, lost FOR THE THIRD TIME and instead of owing $ 25k has a $ 1.5 million dollar judgment against her. http://news.cnet.com/8301-1023_3-20021735-93.html

So even though she had been beaten twice and could have gotten out of this for agreeing to pay $ 25k she demanded another trial and now owes $ 1.5 million.

If not every day, weekly we see people post here about stealing songs, television shows and movies. 'Oh I don't like the riaa so I steal it" or 'Oh I would not have paid anyway" etc. The odds are certainly in favor of the thieves but you can download this stuff for chump change off I Tunes and not risk taking a bullet to the head. Take your chances and don't bitch if you lose, I guess.

Regardless, 25k or 1.5 million is an utterly absurd penalty for what amounts to something more minor than shoplifting. Now if she were selling pirated works for profit? Then it might be justifiable. Also, the way copyright/patents work today is arguably contrary to the intentions of the founding fathers anyway.
Link Posted: 11/4/2010 4:39:50 PM EDT
[#50]
Sucks that she had to be the one to test the law.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 3
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top