Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 12
Posted: 6/9/2012 5:05:21 PM EDT
Between all the gear, types of diving, locations, and experiences, I'd think it would be a fairly active forum.

Maybe call it  The Dive Locker?
Link Posted: 6/9/2012 5:12:04 PM EDT
[#1]

We've got a lot of divers on this board, from the recreationals to the pros.

I think it'd do well.

Edit: I've been requested to create a poll to gauge interest, see here:

http://www.ar15.com/forums/t_1_2/1631523_You_divers_want_a_diver_forum_right__READ_HERE_.html
Link Posted: 6/9/2012 5:17:48 PM EDT
[#2]
I'd be down for this.  Going to take a discover scuba class soon.  Already paid for it, just need to find the time now.
Link Posted: 6/9/2012 5:43:10 PM EDT
[#3]
I'm into snorkeling, trying to add spearfishing and possibly get scuba certified, but I'd rather see those threads staying in the outdoors section. I'm not big on having so many sub forums tho...
Link Posted: 6/9/2012 5:52:05 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
I'm into snorkeling, trying to add spearfishing and possibly get scuba certified, but I'd rather see those threads staying in the outdoors section. I'm not big on having so many sub forums tho...

A dedicated scuba forum could have a stickied "SCUBA FOR NOOBS" thread and a stickied "SCUBA PICS" thread.  Plus all the noobs every summer asking questions.  It'd be a good forum IMO.

Link Posted: 6/9/2012 6:16:08 PM EDT
[#5]
Would be good, has ben a few years though, since I have been wet.
Link Posted: 6/19/2012 3:49:53 PM EDT
[#6]
I'd like to see a scuba forum.  Just started my Open Water class last week!
Link Posted: 7/8/2012 6:16:02 PM EDT
[#7]
sounds like a good idea
Link Posted: 7/10/2012 11:34:16 PM EDT
[#8]
Retired professional diver checking in.  Now just dive for fun

CD
Link Posted: 7/11/2012 5:08:34 PM EDT
[#9]
Recreational diver, checking in.
Link Posted: 7/16/2012 8:04:03 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Recreational diver, checking in.

Me too!
Link Posted: 7/16/2012 8:46:52 PM EDT
[#11]
Former Dive Instructor and Combat Swimmer Ran a Dive operation for a few years and State Police SCUBA team for 6 years.
Now only dive for fun when the conditions are good.
Link Posted: 7/17/2012 11:47:32 PM EDT
[#12]
newly minted OW diver checking in ....... and bumping the thread
Link Posted: 7/18/2012 12:19:12 AM EDT
[#13]
AYE!
Link Posted: 7/18/2012 12:31:04 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
Former Dive Instructor and Combat Swimmer Ran a Dive operation for a few years and State Police SCUBA team for 6 years.

Sir, you are one of at least three Former 18C's who are active posters here (just in case you werent aware). I imagine its a fairly small community which is why I bring it up.

Link Posted: 7/18/2012 7:32:56 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Sir, you are one of at least three Former 18C's who are active posters here (just in case you werent aware). I imagine its a fairly small community which is why I bring it up.

My first 12 yrs was as a 18CW7.

CD

Link Posted: 7/18/2012 6:53:06 PM EDT
[#16]
Have my last pool class tomorrow then my OW check-out next weekend!  Lovin' every minute of it so far !
Link Posted: 7/21/2012 9:40:26 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
Have my last pool class tomorrow then my OW check-out next weekend!  Lovin' every minute of it so far !

plan your dive and dive your plan. have fun its great.
Link Posted: 7/27/2012 6:53:05 PM EDT
[#18]
This sounds like a great idea to me.  Excited to see some Combat Divers in the group.  IMO you are the most badass soldiers of all.
Link Posted: 7/27/2012 7:19:29 PM EDT
[#19]
In; haven't been scuba diving in years.
Link Posted: 7/28/2012 11:43:01 AM EDT
[#20]
I'm all for it, I'd even help moderate it.

NAUI Instructor
Link Posted: 7/28/2012 3:31:32 PM EDT
[#21]
getting my open water certification at the beginning of august! would love to participate
Link Posted: 7/29/2012 11:59:57 PM EDT
[#22]
Ya I am def all for this...def would have more action then the math and science section
Link Posted: 7/30/2012 12:11:02 AM EDT
[#23]
I think it would be an excellent addition!
Link Posted: 7/30/2012 12:15:45 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
I think it would be an excellent addition!

this. I'd help out in any way I can, though I'm still a pretty newish diver, only having gotten OW less than 2 years ago and not having a lot of dives yet.
Link Posted: 7/30/2012 12:19:19 AM EDT
[#25]
Open Water diver here. I have only been certified for a little over a year and don't get to dive nearly as much as I would like. I'd be in for a forum or sub.
Link Posted: 7/30/2012 12:24:42 AM EDT
[#26]

Open water here
Link Posted: 7/30/2012 11:11:58 AM EDT
[#27]
Finished my OW Certification dives  on Sunday.  

Had a great time at Gilboa Quarry in OH.   But man the water was cold below 30 ft.
Link Posted: 7/30/2012 11:49:27 AM EDT
[#28]
I was thinking about this just the other day.

Advanced Open Water diver checking in here.  Sign me up!
Link Posted: 7/30/2012 12:23:02 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

Had a great time at Gilboa Quarry in OH.   But man the water was cold below 30 ft.

I did my certification dives there too! It is a bit brisk in the fall.
Link Posted: 8/5/2012 11:07:58 PM EDT
[#30]
Adv OW + Spear Fisher checking in
Link Posted: 8/10/2012 12:02:27 AM EDT
[#31]
Word.
Link Posted: 8/10/2012 6:42:45 AM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
I'm all for it, I'd even help moderate it.

NAUI Instructor

Same!

I've actually been thinking a lot about this the last couple of days (dont laugh I was diving at the time). Usually when the idea for a new forum here comes up I almost always think its a bad idea. take some of teh GD forums: books, cooking, sports, movies. I love to read, I read bubbas blog on cooking when I can, I love sports and love movies. I just think all of those topics are big enough that I wish they would of stayed mixed up in GD for all of us to learn about. Thats how I get mo smarter. Im always looking for my next book to read, but I almost never go into the book forum because of hte lack of traffic and all that.

Diving is different for a bunch of reasons. first of all, there is and has always been a very strong diver presence on Arfcom. Diving falls into that group of sports and hobbies that many of us however you wanna characterize us tend to be interested in, so theres tons of people here already.

Second. as others have already pointed out, we have some real no bullshit dive experts on board. diving is second maybe only to ssupposed BUD/s Grads when it comes to bullshitters. I would love to have a place where some of these guys would chime in from time to time on stuff they used to do for a living or are still interested in, and I'm sure they would as well.

Third. the competition. no matter what kind of diving you do, or where you do it, I think we can mostly agree that there is really only one board on the internet that has grown over time to the point where its not only become massive, but has always pretty much wiped out all the smaller lesser quality boards out of existence. The place im talking about of course is scubaboard.com. The problem with SB.com  isn't that it is badly run, or that it has bad members, or an out of control COC, it has aboslutely none of those problems. SB is a fantastic website full of thousands upon thousands of great knowledgable members, good site staff, easy to use forum, and enough information stuffed in it to literally last you till you drop dead.

the problem that I think exists with SB is really the product of its success. Its so massive and has so many forums that for a brand new freshly qualified open water diver, even just hunting down specfiically the 'Im a brand new diver and blank' tacked thrads they have, its still like trying to drink water from a firehose.

I spent about 90 miuntes there last night just looking through all the brand new diver threads and info, its just impossible to find stuff without a ton of effort with the amount of info they keep up there.  SB is a very big site, 210,000 members to Arfcoms approx 310,000. Imagine if Arfcom was a site that strictly dealt with a single topic, say 310000 people here to only talk about AR's. Forget it.

the nice thing about a scuba forum here, especially for new divers is that they can toss out questions themselves, along with the usaual banter between the more expereienced dive bunch about the usual but the new guys can have the questions answered for them instead of the other way around. Plus a lot of us already know each other, at least from here and the other parts of the site. Which brings me to the the next to last point.

Safety. This is really the most legitimate reason to break a single topic away from GD in my opinion. diving, like shooting has the potential for danger, especially if you out there getting your info from some retard on GD who refuses to believe that Daltons law is real or some other crazy shit that only they could argue about. It would be better served for everyone if the riff raff of GD was segregated when talking about diving and diving related gear/science/physiology etc.

And perhaps finally and of course the best reason. Diving like shooting offers so many areas in which two people can disagree and fight over it makes 9 vs 45 look like its taking place at a diplomatic summit.

so those are my reasons, just felt like putting them out there.
Link Posted: 8/11/2012 4:50:22 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
[Third. the competition. no matter what kind of diving you do, or where you do it, I think we can mostly agree that there is really only one board on the internet that has grown over time to the point where its not only become massive, but has always pretty much wiped out all the smaller lesser quality boards out of existence. The place im talking about of course is scubaboard.com. The problem with SB.com  isn't that it is badly run, or that it has bad members, or an out of control COC, it has aboslutely none of those problems. SB is a fantastic website full of thousands upon thousands of great knowledgable members, good site staff, easy to use forum, and enough information stuffed in it to literally last you till you drop dead.

If you're open water diving.  There are others that are not geared to that crowd.
Link Posted: 8/13/2012 4:37:50 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
Quoted:
[Third. the competition. no matter what kind of diving you do, or where you do it, I think we can mostly agree

If you're open water diving.  There are others that are not geared to that crowd.

fair enough, I assume your referrign to tecdivers, decostop DIR etc?
Link Posted: 8/15/2012 9:23:18 PM EDT
[#35]
How many people need to post in this thread to get this done.  Im very into this idea.  I think itd be awesome.
Link Posted: 8/20/2012 9:06:16 PM EDT
[#36]
I'm in.
Link Posted: 8/22/2012 12:50:34 AM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
Quoted:
[Third. the competition. no matter what kind of diving you do, or where you do it, I think we can mostly agree that there is really only one board on the internet that has grown over time to the point where its not only become massive, but has always pretty much wiped out all the smaller lesser quality boards out of existence. The place im talking about of course is scubaboard.com. The problem with SB.com  isn't that it is badly run, or that it has bad members, or an out of control COC, it has aboslutely none of those problems. SB is a fantastic website full of thousands upon thousands of great knowledgable members, good site staff, easy to use forum, and enough information stuffed in it to literally last you till you drop dead.

That's what get's me excited about the possibility of a dive forum here! I can only imagine the different disciplines in divers found on this board.
Link Posted: 8/23/2012 11:05:45 PM EDT
[#38]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

That's what get's me excited about the possibility of a dive forum here! I can only imagine the different disciplines in divers found on this board.

So I spoke to the man in charge last week about getting this forum going. We need to turn this into the official thread for a new forum (OP edit) and start getting more people in here to express their interest, then we can talk to GB about working his arfcom magic.

Link Posted: 8/23/2012 11:15:21 PM EDT
[#39]
I'm in.

Padi advanced openwater since 1981.
Link Posted: 8/28/2012 12:26:59 AM EDT
[#40]
Open Water certified by SSI since last year.
- PM
Link Posted: 9/2/2012 7:40:53 PM EDT
[#41]
Rec diver myself, and I deal with too many of those damn commercial divers at work
Link Posted: 9/3/2012 11:35:19 AM EDT
[#42]
Link Posted: 9/3/2012 11:38:06 AM EDT
[#43]
AOW for over 15 years now.  Lets get wet!
Link Posted: 9/3/2012 11:46:13 AM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:

congrats!

Link Posted: 9/3/2012 11:47:35 AM EDT
[#45]
Ya, I think we do need this one.
Link Posted: 9/3/2012 11:53:27 AM EDT
[#46]
Count me in.
Link Posted: 9/3/2012 11:58:15 AM EDT
[#47]
checking in...
Link Posted: 9/3/2012 1:01:14 PM EDT
[#48]
OW, AOW, Cavern through Full cave, Advanced deco procedures, Nitrox, Advanced Nitrox, Helitrox, HOG service tech, advanced gas blender, VIP and O2 service tech, blah, blah, blah.

I love diving, especially cave diving.

As far as dive forums go, I spend most of my time on Cave Divers Forum.

Link Posted: 9/3/2012 4:52:09 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:
OW, AOW, Cavern through Full cave, Advanced deco procedures, Nitrox, Advanced Nitrox, Helitrox, HOG service tech, advanced gas blender, VIP and O2 service tech, blah, blah, blah.

I love diving, especially cave diving.

As far as dive forums go, I spend most of my time on Cave Divers Forum.

Awesome. I got into SCUBA because I wanted to get into cave diving. Haven't been diving in about 3 years and hadn't been caving in about 5 years.. until this weekend! Did a very easy though very wet cave on Saturday and I have a SCUBA refresher course this weekend
Link Posted: 9/4/2012 2:12:46 AM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:
Im a certified diver just starting to get into underwater photography. I would love a diving forum to share my pics and experiences.

I'd love to see 'em!

Lets get this going!
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 12
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top