Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 11/12/2014 12:23:01 PM EDT
So grandmother passed away a few days ago and looking around the basement with my parents and siblings.  My sister found this pan under a cabinet and my dad said take it.  I'm planning on using the Subnet Skillet O' Truth method for refinishing the pan.  I've done a fair amount of interest and people seem to claim flax seed oil is best but I don't know if I can even find that anywhere around here.  I've included a link to Subnets thread and a couple pics of the pan before I do anything to it.  If anyone has any suggestions/advice let me know.  

Subnets Skillet O' Truth

Griswold #11 717A

I work a lot but as I have time I'll post updates on the pan and the process.
Link Posted: 11/12/2014 1:45:02 PM EDT
[#1]
Quoted:
but I don't know if I can even find that anywhere around here
View Quote

If you can't find it your aren't looking... my grocery store (a subsidiary of Kroger) has it, and just about every health food store on the planet should have it... it may be "organic" and cost more, but a small bottle lasts a LONG time for skillet seasoning...

BTW, nice looking skillet. I have a Favorite #12, those big skillets are pretty handy when you need the extra space...
Link Posted: 11/12/2014 2:11:24 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

If you can't find it your aren't looking... my grocery store (a subsidiary of Kroger) has it, and just about every health food store on the planet should have it... it may be "organic" and cost more, but a small bottle lasts a LONG time for skillet seasoning...

BTW, nice looking skillet. I have a Favorite #12, those big skillets are pretty handy when you need the extra space...
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I'll look around for some flaxseed oil at my grocery.  I read somewhere that it would be in a refrigerated section but I think it doesn't actually need refrigerated until opening?

Also I think the method I read of seasoning with Flaxseed was apply a small amount and coat the pan then basically wipe it off with towels till it looks dry?  Then in the over for an hour at 500....repeat about 6 times?

Which oil to use is the most confusing part of cast iron.  Lots of people around here say just cook bacon over and over.  Then you see people saying all kindsa different oils/lard/bacon grease.

It does sound like flaxseed oil is the best scientifically.  I screwed up the seasoning on my 12 inch lodge pan so I might refinish that one at the same time.
Link Posted: 11/12/2014 4:20:07 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:

I'll look around for some flaxseed oil at my grocery.  I read somewhere that it would be in a refrigerated section but I think it doesn't actually need refrigerated until opening?

Also I think the method I read of seasoning with Flaxseed was apply a small amount and coat the pan then basically wipe it off with towels till it looks dry?  Then in the over for an hour at 500....repeat about 6 times?

Which oil to use is the most confusing part of cast iron.  Lots of people around here say just cook bacon over and over.  Then you see people saying all kindsa different oils/lard/bacon grease.

Oh, and yes, wipe small amount of oil on, wipe it all off, heat it, then repeat it (several times).

It does sound like flaxseed oil is the best scientifically.  I screwed up the seasoning on my 12 inch lodge pan so I might refinish that one at the same time.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Oh, and yes, wipe small amount of oil on, wipe it all off, heat it, then repeat it (several times).

I think 500 is plenty high for flaxseed. The reason flaxseed is best is because it polymerizes at a much lower temperature. You can easily get away with 350 or 400 and have the same coating...

Yes, flaxseed oil was in the refrigerated health-foods section of my grocery store. If you can't find it there, certainly you can find a healthfood store...

Yes, wipe it on, wipe it all off, heat it, then repeat it (several times)... and I don't buy into all the bacon grease crap. Have you ever seen bacon grease polymerize? I haven't... You are after a polymerized (hardened layer) of oil. If you don't achieve that then you essentially just have an oiled/greased skillet, and that's not what "seasoning" is...
Link Posted: 11/13/2014 9:55:06 PM EDT
[#4]
Its a good method of re-seasoning cast iron. I'm still in the process of re-doing all of my cast iron after my house fire and this is the method I'm using.  

as far as the flax seed oil goes, I have no idea.  I'm using plain ol' vegetable oil since that's what I had on hand.
Link Posted: 11/13/2014 10:44:24 PM EDT
[#5]
this works

http://www.livestrong.com/article/101297-benefits-safflower-oil/

I do my stuff outside over bedded hardwood coals seasons well, no smell in the house.

you can tell my fried bologna skillets up top on the stack. they get worked HARD. handles are a little rusty from bare hands.
Link Posted: 11/14/2014 7:29:30 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
you can tell my fried bologna skillets up top on the stack. they get worked HARD. handles are a little rusty from bare hands.
View Quote

Do you not season the handles for some reason???

I work my skillets hard too (almost daily for my 2 most used skillets) and I've NEVER had a handle rust on me...I even leave them out overnight when camping and no rust...
Link Posted: 11/14/2014 11:35:44 AM EDT
[#7]
OOppps
Link Posted: 11/14/2014 7:16:43 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

I work my skillets hard too (almost daily for my 2 most used skillets) and I've NEVER had a handle rust on me...I even leave them out overnight when camping and no rust...
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

bare hand salts hurt them. handles go 1st. on my stuff as long as the skillet bed is good...........I let it roll.
Link Posted: 11/14/2014 7:25:18 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Its a good method of re-seasoning cast iron. I'm still in the process of re-doing all of my cast iron after my house fire and this is the method I'm using.  

as far as the flax seed oil goes, I have no idea.  I'm using plain ol' vegetable oil since that's what I had on hand.
View Quote

use what ya got. strip them and put them to the heat ain't no big deal. keep her at 340 or so. this ain't rockect science flash point on oil is all....
Link Posted: 11/15/2014 1:12:22 PM EDT
[#10]
Puritan products, I think has it, at least got it (flaxseed oil) by mail, and they're the current adverising stuff.

Flax seed oil, clean pan first, if rusty, heavy duty oven cleaner followed by vibrating rotary sander and emery cloth will greatly improve inside surface, smoother the better.

I'm using flax seed oil on to bare metal, 45-60 minutes at 425 degrees.  let cool and swipe with copper pan cleaning sponge between coats.  Color will darken after several coats.

good cooking fat for final.

pan a nice griswold.  The round rim is a smoke rim, which held most of the bottom of the pan just off the surface of a hot cook stove (wood fired, or coal) sometimes taking off the stove lid and exposure to direct flame radiance...  Be patient.

You could just use crisco.   Don't use dish soap
Link Posted: 11/15/2014 9:28:49 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Puritan products, I think has it, at least got it (flaxseed oil) by mail, and they're the current adverising stuff.

Flax seed oil, clean pan first, if rusty, heavy duty oven cleaner followed by vibrating rotary sander and emery cloth will greatly improve inside surface, smoother the better.

I'm using flax seed oil on to bare metal, 45-60 minutes at 425 degrees.  let cool and swipe with copper pan cleaning sponge between coats.  Color will darken after several coats.

good cooking fat for final.

pan a nice griswold.  The round rim is a smoke rim, which held most of the bottom of the pan just off the surface of a hot cook stove (wood fired, or coal) sometimes taking off the stove lid and exposure to direct flame radiance...  Be patient.

You could just use crisco.   Don't use dish soap
View Quote

that about covers it.
Link Posted: 11/15/2014 9:57:54 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
bare hand salts hurt them. handles go 1st. on my stuff as long as the skillet bed is good...........I let it roll.
View Quote

Wow! How long have you been using them without a re-seasoning? I've been using mine weekly for several years and I don't have any rust problems...
Link Posted: 11/16/2014 3:27:40 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

Wow! How long have you been using them without a re-seasoning? I've been using mine weekly for several years and I don't have any rust problems...
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

about 3 years, I'll do some more in the fire ring out back. I re-season the whole skillet hand salt with some folk I try to use pot holders or towells. my beds are good

maybe my hands put out more body salt that little bologna skillet get's worked hard.
lookin at Lodge enhanced cast? baby skillet.
http://www.lodgemfg.com/heat-enhanced-iron
Link Posted: 11/18/2014 9:14:48 PM EDT
[#14]
Flaxseed oil goes rancid fairly quickly.  It does not last very long even if refrigerated.
Link Posted: 3/13/2015 9:07:10 AM EDT
[#15]
So I ran them through the ovens self clean cycle and am currently on coat 4/6 of flaxseed oil.  So far it looks great!  I'll post pics later today.
Link Posted: 3/13/2015 5:28:27 PM EDT
[#16]
Cisco Vegetable Shortening here. Wipe it down, turn  it upside down and bake it at 350-400 for an hr or two. You want it upside down so it doesn't pool and make thick areas of the coating. It will give you the nice gloss black shine that lasts.

Just make sure you put a layer of foil on the bottom rack so the drippings don't burn on the bottom of your oven. Also do it on a nice day so you can have the windows open so you don't smoke your self out. You could also do it on your grill if it will fit.
Link Posted: 3/14/2015 9:32:30 AM EDT
[#17]
Coat with Crisco and put the pan upside down on a turkey fryer.  Heat until it turns black, then repeat.  Don't overheat the pan.

Then...For me, cooking cornbread seems to be the best for keeping/making a nice finish.
Link Posted: 3/20/2015 11:38:04 AM EDT
[#18]
OP, that pan is already in pretty damn good shape.  I would remove that surface rust with a green scrub pad and water and re-season it top and bottom.
Link Posted: 3/26/2015 11:09:44 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
OP, that pan is already in pretty damn good shape.  I would remove that surface rust with a green scrub pad and water and re-season it top and bottom.
View Quote

This.

There's no need to take power tools and oven cleaner to any cast iron... ever. Clean off the surface rust with a steel scrub pad and season the pan with crisco vegetable oil.

No need to over think it with flaxseed oil and other stupid b.s.

Link Posted: 3/26/2015 11:15:13 PM EDT
[#20]
I just nabbed a nice old Griswold skillet at the local Goodwill about 3 weeks ago.

Was in pristine seasoned conditioned when I got it. Just a good cleaning and quick re-season with some oil and another old timer in my cupboard.

I think I have around half dozen of them. Maybe $80 total investment ( all thrift store finds ).
Link Posted: 3/27/2015 9:45:45 AM EDT
[#21]
Here is a pic of what the pans looked like after the ovens self clean cycle was done.  From there I basically washed them with soap and water and started seasoning them with the flax seed oil method.  

Here is what they look like after seasoning.  It's kinda hard to get a pic that shows how nice they look.  I've cooked a bunch of eggs on both and they're both very non-stick.  There is a small place on the griswold that sticks a bit because of scratches on the actual iron surface.

Link Posted: 3/27/2015 12:22:17 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
Here is a pic of what the pans looked like after the ovens self clean cycle was done.  From there I basically washed them with soap and water and started seasoning them with the flax seed oil method.  
http://i61.tinypic.com/2lwkt2r.jpg

Here is what they look like after seasoning.  It's kinda hard to get a pic that shows how nice they look.  I've cooked a bunch of eggs on both and they're both very non-stick.  There is a small place on the griswold that sticks a bit because of scratches on the actual iron surface.
http://i61.tinypic.com/mts2lx.jpg

http://i59.tinypic.com/2zpi03l.jpg
View Quote

Great looking skillets !
Link Posted: 3/27/2015 3:30:53 PM EDT
[#23]
goddamn.  those look incredible.  solid work on the restoration.
Link Posted: 5/4/2015 2:10:20 AM EDT
[#24]
Got home from night shift and decided to cook a few eggs.  The old Griswold eggs no longer stick to at all and will just slide around the pan (without any utensils).  I thought about trying to flip one but didn't want to make a mess.
Link Posted: 5/10/2015 4:22:11 AM EDT
[#25]
I always break in my pans with a slab / package of bacon. It's a win win
Link Posted: 5/10/2015 4:50:00 AM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

This.

There's no need to take power tools and oven cleaner to any cast iron... ever. Clean off the surface rust with a steel scrub pad and season the pan with crisco vegetable oil.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

This.

If you want to get Lodge's nasty factory "seasoning" off you need a sander, if you want to get their rough as hell pan smooth enough to season and be somewhat nonstick, a little time with a flap wheel is well spent.  On old cast iron, you're right.
Link Posted: 5/10/2015 10:05:02 AM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

If you want to get Lodge's nasty factory "seasoning" off you need a sander, if you want to get their rough as hell pan smooth enough to season and be somewhat nonstick, a little time with a flap wheel is well spent.  On old cast iron, you're right.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

This.

On the old cast iron pan I refinished I kinda wish I had done something to reduce the imperfections on the inside of the pan.  There is one big line/knife mark and several dings inside that probably could have been fixed/reduced.
Link Posted: 5/10/2015 11:44:13 AM EDT
[#28]

Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Nice score!

Flax seed oil is otherwise known as linseed oil. All you will be doing by baking it with linseed oil is building up a layer of varnish on the pan. This can prevent rust, but it will chip and flake off the cooking surface, usually quickly.

That's fine if you want a varnished pan but you can get it just as slick and non-stick by simply cooking greasy shit in the pan and oiling it after each use.

Link Posted: 5/12/2015 3:12:31 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
Nice score!

Flax seed oil is otherwise known as linseed oil. All you will be doing by baking it with linseed oil is building up a layer of varnish on the pan. This can prevent rust, but it will chip and flake off the cooking surface, usually quickly.

That's fine if you want a varnished pan but you can get it just as slick and non-stick by simply cooking greasy shit in the pan and oiling it after each use.  
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Nice score!

I did both......none of the "varnish" has chipped off after cooking about a dozen things so I'm inclined to believe you're wrong.
Link Posted: 5/12/2015 5:28:11 PM EDT
[#30]

Quoted:
I did both......none of the "varnish" has chipped off after cooking about a dozen things so I'm inclined to believe you're wrong.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Nice score!

Turn up the heat, and you'll burn most of it off.

Believe whatever you like, but I did what you are doing 20 years ago and have learned plenty in the meantime.

Keep at it, and you will learn, too.
Link Posted: 5/12/2015 10:19:38 PM EDT
[#31]
I've had both the pans I refinished on high heat multiple times and no issues.....Maybe you did yours wrong?
Link Posted: 5/12/2015 11:11:53 PM EDT
[#32]
define high heat.
Link Posted: 5/12/2015 11:35:21 PM EDT
[#33]

Quoted:

I've had both the pans I refinished on high heat multiple times and no issues.....Maybe you did yours wrong?
View Quote
You've had them to 500+ degrees for searing a steak?

LOL!

No! I mean real 500+ degrees, as measured with an IR thermometer. Where the surface of the iron is 500+ degrees. Your oil paint will be breaking down and flaking like a motherfucjker. Look up the melt/burn-off point of oil paint/linseed-oil varnish.

You noobs need to actually USE your cast iron like cast iron was meant to be used.

Yes, if you baby it, the oil-paint/varnished finish on your princess pans will last.

Really use them. And then get back to me in 20 years.  

Link Posted: 5/12/2015 11:54:03 PM EDT
[#34]
I have a large 15" or so cast pan. Used for camp cooking. But on a huge bed of coals, let it get hot and throw a couple fillets in. Clean with water, wipe out, heated to dry, wipe down with Crisco or bacon grease. Easy to take care of.
Link Posted: 7/21/2015 9:51:26 AM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

LOL!

No! I mean real 500+ degrees, as measured with an IR thermometer. Where the surface of the iron is 500+ degrees. Your oil paint will be breaking down and flaking like a motherfucjker. Look up the melt/burn-off point of oil paint/linseed-oil varnish.

You noobs need to actually USE your cast iron like cast iron was meant to be used.

Yes, if you baby it, the oil-paint/varnished finish on your princess pans will last.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

LOL!

Some updates.
I've had them both on high heat to sear steaks multiple times now and even deglazed in them....The finish is fine and hasn't burt/melted off at all.

The lodge seems to be more non-stick than the old wagner and I can slide an egg around in the lodge without using a spatula.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top