Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page General » Pets
Site Notices
Posted: 8/21/2016 12:13:05 PM EDT
I was helping out a friend who was down on her luck. Known her since before I got my current dog, 115 lb GSD mix. He is probably the best trained dog in my neighborhood because I constantly play and work with him since I got him at about 9 weeks. He had a few accidents, I used to bring him to work and leave him in the office so he wouldn't be home for a solid 13 hours. But he generally was pretty easy to house break and train. I didn't use a crate but I used to tie him to the futon so that he could not do anything but lay on it while I was out. But anyway, she likes him but when she started staying with me she would complain now and then that he is too big. Wanted to share the couch with her, occasionally step on her feet, drop too much hair... blah blah blah. Then she would say that she missed her boston. That dog pissed in her house (not fixed), couldn't hold it long enough for her to make it home...freaking eyes pointed in two different directions and is completely useless if you are worried about people getting into the house while you are sleeping (which that thought terrifies her)..

So anyway, she wanted her boston back from her mom and there was no way I was bringing that dog into my house not being fixed. I thought it would be okay for her to get a puppy so she sure as shit, went out and dropped $1400 on a french bulldog. Now you think a puppy would be easy to deal with and like.. Wrong... This puppy mill dog is disgusting. Damn thing is 5 months old now, can't hold it all night still and won't hold it even in his little cage. Little shit will crap his cage and then eat it, then he gets sick. Not to mention he had inbreeding issues it looks like...his eyes go in two directions too, one is ob-long or something (genetic), might have hip displasia and constantly has blood in his feces for unknown reasons. She is a pretty shity dog owner too from what I have seen. Works all night and goes out all night when she is off and doesn't have her kids. So far haven't heard her talk about getting him fixed, no flea medicine yet. She has her own place now, is picking him up this week and I can't wait. She is going to have him and her boston both in her apartment. I don't think it is going to work out for her the way she is thinking, she is going to need a dog walker at the least.

Whatever, just ranting I guess but it has been a reminder of how useless I find small dogs to be. Yeah yeah, I know some are cool but most suck...and bad dog owners only add to the problem.
Link Posted: 8/21/2016 6:19:48 PM EDT
[#1]
I guess I'm not seeing what all this has to do with the size of the dog.
Link Posted: 8/21/2016 6:47:46 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
View Quote

This

But small dogs are kind of useless except companionship, and burglar deterrent since small dogs yap like crazy.

I have a boston terrier with cushing's disease which can't hold urine at all. My rug cleaning company said all the small dogs lose their ability to hold it when they age.
I have a pug dog with a bad/pinched spine, her rear right leg give out on her sometimes when walking and she doesn't poop outside, she even poops in her crate which I make all dogs sleep in overnight.
Link Posted: 8/22/2016 5:30:10 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
View Quote

It has nothing to do with the size of the dog and everything to do with how the dog has been bred and trained. Small dogs have traditionally been bred for companionship and possibly some types of hunting and herding, but were never meant to be personal protection dogs or anything that requires an animal of substantial size. That doesn't make them useless, just purpose bred.
Link Posted: 8/22/2016 6:11:21 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:

This

But small dogs are kind of useless except companionship, and burglar deterrent since small dogs yap like crazy.

I have a boston terrier with cushing's disease which can't hold urine at all. My rug cleaning company said all the small dogs lose their ability to hold it when they age.

I have a pug dog with a bad/pinched spine, her rear right leg give out on her sometimes when walking and she doesn't poop outside, she even poops in her crate which I make all dogs sleep in overnight.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

This

Small dogs useless?

Ever see a GSD go down into a fox den?  Nope.
Link Posted: 8/22/2016 11:36:44 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

It has nothing to do with the size of the dog and everything to do with how the dog has been bred and trained. Small dogs have traditionally been bred for companionship and possibly some types of hunting and herding, but were never meant to be personal protection dogs or anything that requires an animal of substantial size. That doesn't make them useless, just purpose bred.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I am a firm believer that there is a great bit of truth behind the 'Top 10' or whatever list of smartest dog breeds.

Those breeds are going to learn faster at ALL ages.

Link Posted: 8/22/2016 11:51:45 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
I was helping out a friend who was down on her luck. Known her since before I got my current dog, 115 lb GSD mix. He is probably the best trained dog in my neighborhood because I constantly play and work with him since I got him at about 9 weeks. He had a few accidents, I used to bring him to work and leave him in the office so he wouldn't be home for a solid 13 hours. But he generally was pretty easy to house break and train. I didn't use a crate but I used to tie him to the futon so that he could not do anything but lay on it while I was out. But anyway, she likes him but when she started staying with me she would complain now and then that he is too big. Wanted to share the couch with her, occasionally step on her feet, drop too much hair... blah blah blah. Then she would say that she missed her boston. That dog pissed in her house (not fixed), couldn't hold it long enough for her to make it home...freaking eyes pointed in two different directions and is completely useless if you are worried about people getting into the house while you are sleeping (which that thought terrifies her)..

So anyway, she wanted her boston back from her mom and there was no way I was bringing that dog into my house not being fixed. I thought it would be okay for her to get a puppy so she sure as shit, went out and dropped $1400 on a french bulldog. Now you think a puppy would be easy to deal with and like.. Wrong... This puppy mill dog is disgusting. Damn thing is 5 months old now, can't hold it all night still and won't hold it even in his little cage. Little shit will crap his cage and then eat it, then he gets sick. Not to mention he had inbreeding issues it looks like...his eyes go in two directions too, one is ob-long or something (genetic), might have hip displasia and constantly has blood in his feces for unknown reasons. She is a pretty shity dog owner too from what I have seen. Works all night and goes out all night when she is off and doesn't have her kids. So far haven't heard her talk about getting him fixed, no flea medicine yet. She has her own place now, is picking him up this week and I can't wait. She is going to have him and her boston both in her apartment. I don't think it is going to work out for her the way she is thinking, she is going to need a dog walker at the least.

Whatever, just ranting I guess but it has been a reminder of how useless I find small dogs to be. Yeah yeah, I know some are cool but most suck...and bad dog owners only add to the problem.
View Quote

Junkie?
http://www.ar15.com/forums/t_1_5/1894862_People_that_have_dealt_with_drug_using_family_or_friends___update_page_3_.html

ETA...
Page General » Pets
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top