Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 5
Posted: 8/2/2016 11:39:00 AM EDT
I let a friend stay with me for a few months to help her get on her feet and so she could see her kids. She started spiraling into depression a few weeks ago and decided to go on a binger when I left for work the other night. Thankfully she tried to walk her dog and she passed out in front of my house. She was unresponsive and had almost stopped breathing when rescue got there.

Anyway, it's been about 36 hours now and she is completely in denial, trying to come up with some theory that someone snuck into the house and held her down to shoot her up. She is completely out of her mind. Does it sound normal if you have been through this with someone you know? Or am i just dealing with her normal crazy at this point?

Link Posted: 8/2/2016 11:41:17 AM EDT
[#1]
Did you know about her previous IV drug use?
Link Posted: 8/2/2016 11:43:07 AM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
I let a friend stay with me for a few months to help her get on her feet and so she could see her kids. She started spiraling into depression a few weeks ago and decided to go on a binger when I left for work the other night. Thankfully she tried to walk her dog and she passed out in front of my house. She was unresponsive and had almost stopped breathing when rescue got there.

Anyway, it's been about 36 hours now and she is completely in denial, trying to come up with some theory that someone snuck into the house and held her down to shoot her up. She is completely out of her mind. Does it sound normal if you have been through this with someone you know? Or am i just dealing with her normal crazy at this point?

View Quote

Set expectations and follow through.

Make sure you understand your local eviction laws because I see that in your immediate future.
Link Posted: 8/2/2016 11:43:18 AM EDT
[#3]
I would tell her to go someplace else.
Until she accepts the fact that she is an addict I would not want her around.
There are plenty of places where she can get help.
Link Posted: 8/2/2016 11:43:31 AM EDT
[#4]
They lie constantly and make up incredible stories that they truly believe, not only that they think they are smart than everyone and will continue to lie and get high.
Link Posted: 8/2/2016 11:43:52 AM EDT
[#5]
I just got back from Florida after burying my 27 year old neice from this shit.

Dont trust her and get her the fuck out of your house and from anything you value untill shes proven sober.
Link Posted: 8/2/2016 11:44:33 AM EDT
[#6]
But does she put out?
Link Posted: 8/2/2016 11:45:08 AM EDT
[#7]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
They lie constantly and make up incredible stories that they truly believe, not only that they think they are smart than everyone and will continue to lie and get high.
View Quote

yep

One thing about druggies is that they are so fucking full of shit it's not even funny.
Link Posted: 8/2/2016 11:45:16 AM EDT
[#8]
Denial..?  Sounds like shes lying and thinks your dumb enough to buy it.  Pretty obvious that addicts will lie in order to use people.  

Needs a pro.  Ditch her.    
Link Posted: 8/2/2016 11:46:19 AM EDT
[#9]
We offered our home to our niece to get away from an abusive drug-addicted boyfriend. We showed her nothing but love and she spat in our face and ran away with her boyfriend as soon as she could. Drugs do nasty things to good people.
Link Posted: 8/2/2016 11:46:30 AM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:

They lie constantly and make up incredible stories that they truly believe, not only that they think they are smarter than everyone and will continue to lie and get high.
View Quote
They also think no one can tell they are high .

Link Posted: 8/2/2016 11:46:41 AM EDT
[#11]
Intervention doesn't work. Unless they really want to quit, they won't.
Link Posted: 8/2/2016 11:46:47 AM EDT
[#12]
Run before all your stuff is stolen.
Link Posted: 8/2/2016 11:47:17 AM EDT
[#13]
Get tested bro and lock up your guns everything
Link Posted: 8/2/2016 11:48:46 AM EDT
[#14]
You can't help addicts if they won't help themselves,... and all efforts to do so generally make the problem worse.
Link Posted: 8/2/2016 11:49:41 AM EDT
[#15]
Never trust an addict.

Link Posted: 8/2/2016 11:51:12 AM EDT
[#16]
Haha...I'm good on the  ther advice. I'm just looking as to how long it takes to get over the cocaine heroin and narcan cocktail.
Link Posted: 8/2/2016 11:52:20 AM EDT
[#17]
Eject. Seriously
Link Posted: 8/2/2016 11:52:52 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
They lie constantly and make up incredible stories that they truly believe, not only that they think they are smarter than everyone and will continue to lie and get high.

Link Posted: 8/2/2016 11:53:03 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
You can't help addicts if they won't help themselves,... and all efforts to do so generally make the problem worse.
View Quote

As an addict, this is the correct answer.

She's not a person anymore, she's a machine. Her sole purpose for the foreseeable future will be to get high. It's unlikely she will have the compunction to concern herself with how that affects you.

Tell her she has to go. Tell her she's welcome to come back when she has a 30 day key tag and a new perspective BUT, until then, she's got to go.

Nothing personal, just about keeping crazy at arm's length.

ANYTHING, you do to help her will ONLY exacerbate the issue.
Link Posted: 8/2/2016 11:53:10 AM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:

View Quote
This. You only end up making headaches for yourself.

Link Posted: 8/2/2016 11:54:20 AM EDT
[#21]
My sister is that way.  She's 36 now and I I've given up hope that she will ever change.  

She lies to everyone about everything.  My mom sued her for custody of her 3 kids and she rarely even visits them.  

It makes me sick to see her come around with her same old poor pitiful shit and continue to con my parents out of money.  

They should have cut her off years ago.  When you try to help an addict all you are is an enabler.
Link Posted: 8/2/2016 11:55:00 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Not universally, sometimes you make your own headaches AND get the added bonus of making the addict worse through your well intended "help."
Link Posted: 8/2/2016 11:56:19 AM EDT
[#23]
She is fixing to steal everything you own. What she can't steal she will sell where it sits. This includes your house and car. She will put your name on loan applications for credit reference. Collection agencies will be calling you forever. There is no way you can imagine what doper's will do to continue their life style.

I know a woman that tried to sell her neighbor's horse standing in the field.
Link Posted: 8/2/2016 11:58:28 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
Haha...I'm good on the  ther advice. I'm just looking as to how long it takes to get over the cocaine heroin and narcan cocktail.
View Quote

It all depends on her...

Link Posted: 8/2/2016 11:58:45 AM EDT
[#25]
Ex was an addict.

Run quickly my friend!
Link Posted: 8/2/2016 11:59:06 AM EDT
[#26]
They won't recover until they have professional assistance.

My wife works in the field as a substance use disorder counselor.  I have had brothers, cousins, close friends, and other close family deal with excessive drug use, not a single one of them recovered until they accepted they had a problem and went through professional treatment with the intent to get better.  If she wants to get over it, the conversation you should be having is not whether someone forced her to do drugs, but is whether or not she has had enough and wants to put her life back together.

Link Posted: 8/2/2016 12:02:18 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
View Quote

Dude, if they slammed her with narcan, then the she was "over" the high at that instant.  What you really need to do is explain why you haven't moved every item she owns (and maybe a few others just to be safe,) onto the front lawn and changed the locks.

You're tapping that, aren't you?
Link Posted: 8/2/2016 12:02:40 PM EDT
[#28]
Helpful tip, addicts usually pawn the stolen stuff at many different locations.  If you want to recover your stuff, you will have to search around for it.  Good luck.  Oh and if it helps, they only got $100 for your $2000 tv and half of the $100 went to the "friend" that drove them there.  Cash for Gold places melt the jewelry pretty quickly so act fast.
Link Posted: 8/2/2016 12:02:56 PM EDT
[#29]

Quoted:

View Quote

All of this.  Plus their level of lies and deceit will know no bounds.  They will lie straight to their parents, steal their parents pain medicine, and then blame another family member for it.  When someone screws over their own parents to get a high there really isn't much you can do.

Honestly the best thing for them is to hit rock bottom, some get the wake up call and bounce back but some don't.  Sometimes it takes law enforcement getting involved and threatening them with years in prison for their behavior before the person starts to realize and admit they have a problem.  If it gets to that point, then having friends and family there to help and support them is critical. Friends and family need to help them get treatment, take them to appointments, help them pay those bills and the bills for the medication.  Until they hit bottom and see the light, helping is really just enabling them.

Link Posted: 8/2/2016 12:05:13 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
View Quote

^ Basically my experience to a tee.

" How did you get the blue powder that looks like a crushed up pill in your nose" ..

Response:

"Well you see I was eating some blue candy and I choked  and it went up my nose"

They cant be trusted and the only way they will get sober is if they want to . No amount of pushing them will help, it has to come from them.  

Link Posted: 8/2/2016 12:07:18 PM EDT
[#31]
My sister is a drug addict and a thief who cleaned out my mothers bank account and stole her identity. EJECT. Cut all ties. I haven't spoken to my sister in nearly 10 years. In fact the last time I did talk to her I told her I didn't care if she ended up in a ditch somewhere I would t go to her rescue. I also told her to her face that I had no sister and that she was dead to me.
Link Posted: 8/2/2016 12:11:45 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
View Quote

If she's been using for awhile, * which she probably has* the physical symptoms of withdrawal are over in 3-5 days. PAWS can last for months. I did not gain this insite from reading a book.
Link Posted: 8/2/2016 12:12:44 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
View Quote

And they will bring their problems home to you.

A gun owner having an addict staying at their house = Bad juju.

I had to turn my back on and cut ties with one of my closest friends when he got wrapped up with meth. Not just the drug, the whole disgusting, shady fucking scene that goes along with it. The final straw was me being tailed home by somebody, either an undercover cop/DEA guy or a doper associate of his.
It was one of the more difficult decisions that I have ever had to make but I have no regrets about it.
Link Posted: 8/2/2016 12:13:43 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
View Quote

Yep. my wife has completely cut one of her sisters out of our life because of smack.
Link Posted: 8/2/2016 12:16:59 PM EDT
[#35]

Quoted:

View Quote

You will be lucky if all you get out of this is a steak knife in your chest while you're sleeping on the couch, when her junky buddy shows up to steal your shit to collect on her debt. Because she's either paying in sex, or you're going to get rolled.

There is nothing to "get over". She is terminal. There is nothing left in her head to rationalize with.

But pussy is da shit, am'I right? Enjoy the hepatitis and AIDS. Banging an IV drug user. LOL!
Link Posted: 8/2/2016 12:20:57 PM EDT
[#36]
Pics not loading..
Link Posted: 8/2/2016 12:21:14 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
View Quote

+1
Link Posted: 8/2/2016 12:23:37 PM EDT
[#38]
Get her out.

The very first thing they teach you in al-anon is to set boundaries and be firm with them.  Drug users become master manipulators as their dependence continues to create more and more interpersonal issues.  Don't be manipulated.  Don't give her sympathy and don't respond to her anger when she doesn't get your sympathy. Just throw her the fuck out, wipe your hands, and move on.
Link Posted: 8/2/2016 12:34:08 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
Never trust an addict.

View Quote

Help, maybe. Trust, never.
Link Posted: 8/2/2016 12:35:02 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
I just got back from Florida after burying my 27 year old neice from this shit.

Dont trust her and get her the fuck out of your house and from anything you value untill shes proven sober.
View Quote

Especially before she starts bringing her "friends" around.
Link Posted: 8/2/2016 12:35:08 PM EDT
[#41]
My brother is a methheadjunkiecrackheadalcoholicdopehead. He will take any substance if it will get him high. I have had to run him off a few times from my father' s place. He would get drunkstonedhigh all day and get violent. He was beating up on my dad but I can't prove it and my dad won't say. I finally got him criminally trespassed and he got run out of Smithville by the cops and his parole officer.

He showed up at my mom's. He was doing ok for a bit until he got his dozenth DUI last month. He is sitting in jail in Post Texas on a $15,000 bond. My mom refused to bail him out, my dad told him to fuck off. I told my parents to tell him to call me the next time he calls around asking for his bail money. He got some shitty public defender and hopefully he gets the book thrown at him. Mom said he was looking at 20 years, at least. There were a few other charges she wouldn't tell me.

I am glad he is in jail. He's been nothing but a dead beat abuser and druggie. I had to run him off at gunpoint from my father's place last year or year before.
Link Posted: 8/2/2016 12:36:05 PM EDT
[#42]
I don't deal with anyone who does drugs. I keep them out of my life. Not my problem.
Link Posted: 8/2/2016 12:38:18 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:
But does she put out?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
But does she put out?

Quoted:

You're tapping that, aren't you?

Depending on these answers you aren't going to do a thing about it, are you?
Link Posted: 8/2/2016 12:47:50 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:

She's not a person anymore, she's a machine. Her sole purpose for the foreseeable future will be to get high. It's unlikely she will have the compunction to concern herself with how that affects you.

Tell her she has to go. Tell her she's welcome to come back when she has a 30 day key tag and a new perspective BUT, until then, she's got to go.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Yup.

Nobody was telling me when I was ready.  I had to make the decision, and good thing I did before it was too late.

I don't care how much you want to help this friend OP, you're not helping her until she's ready or dead.  It's best you let her know you're cutting all ties with her until she comes back clean.  Even then, I still wouldn't trust her for quite some time.

As for the rooms...  Wow, what a fucking nightmare mess THOSE were.  I hated the hypocrites and look-at-me types, and that's coming from a guy that went by choice.  An individual needs to go with the idea that they're there to help themselves, because no matter the program, they're going to run into those that just want to lie, manipulate, cheat, etc.  Recovery isn't fun, but it's better than the alternative.
Link Posted: 8/2/2016 12:53:48 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Yup.
Link Posted: 8/2/2016 12:54:39 PM EDT
[#46]
What the hell is wrong with you?  You need to get this person out of your LIFE let alone your house.  Believe me, she is only your friend until preserving the friendship gets in the way of her drugs.  She will have junkie friends come over while you're gone, take any interesting meds from your bathroom, take money she "finds" and eventually steal all your stuff and disappear or worse.

Eject, right fucking now.
Link Posted: 8/2/2016 1:48:18 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:
View Quote

And then do their level best to try and make you believe these elaborate lies. They get very good at it, but most people really want to believe the lies, so that doesn't make it any easier. Denial is a hell of a thing.

ETA: You need to boot her, as it is, you're currently enabling her. She has likely been getting high the whole time and just took a hot dose this time. Things will likely vanish soon, if they haven't already.

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 8/2/2016 1:54:39 PM EDT
[#48]
Save yourself a lot of trouble and just kick her out now.
Link Posted: 8/2/2016 1:58:57 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Never trust an addict.

The ONLY help a layman should be offering an addict is a ride to rehab.

That's it. Nothing else.

Period.

Anything more is just a gateway to enabling, if it isn't enabling outright.
Link Posted: 8/2/2016 2:03:37 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:

As for the rooms...  Wow, what a fucking nightmare mess THOSE were.  I hated the hypocrites and look-at-me types, and that's coming from a guy that went by choice.  An individual needs to go with the idea that they're there to help themselves, because no matter the program, they're going to run into those that just want to lie, manipulate, cheat, etc.  Recovery isn't fun, but it's better than the alternative.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

That's a whole different discussion, for a different thread. The rooms help some people, they hurt others, for some they are a relatively safe way to pass time and for a small minority they become their own addiction. I've been clean for decades, I still spend time in the rooms, giving back, in my own selfish way.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 5
Top Top