Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page General » Pets
Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 3
Posted: 6/10/2011 8:11:19 AM EDT
So my wife's coworker is all like "I've got this Possum that my daughter brought home and I can't really take care of it. Do you guys want it?"

So I show up and this little guy is on a leash:

They claimed he was "18 weeks old" at first, but then the daughter who "adopted" him said "He was born in march. Or maybe April. I can't remember." So, NOT 18 weeks. We're still working on housetraining, but he's pretty good so far. Last night about every 2 or 3 hours he'd start whining in his crate, I'd take him out, he'd pee, and then go right back to sleep. I guess that's good?

Right now he is attempting to viciously murder his basketball squeaky toy. He's pretty motivated by his training treats, which is a good sign, and I still haven't heard him bark, which is also good.

Anyway, thought I'd introduce him.

Link Posted: 6/10/2011 8:22:26 AM EDT
[#1]
What a handsome little guy.

Best of luck with him.

Sounds like you're both doing just fine.
Link Posted: 6/10/2011 8:29:09 AM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:

Best of luck with him.

Well this is my "first" dog, I had one as a kid but I didn't really train it. Any advice arfcommers want to give will be welcome. Right now I'm all "Oh shit, is this normal? Am I doing this right?"

Last night he slept in his crate. His previous owner would have him sleep in her bed, and then in the morning he would have trouble "making it out" before he'd pee. So last night whenever he would whine, I'd put his collar on, take him outside, he'd pee, and then I'd put him back in his crate. He'd whine for another, oh, 45 seconds and then be quiet for about 3 hours until I had to do it again. Is that SOP? I figure since he's a puppy, he's gotta pee a lot. Hell, I get up in the middle of the night to pee. I don't want to instill any bad habits (like getting my ass up 4 times a night) but I also don't want him to piss in his crate.

Link Posted: 6/10/2011 12:57:09 PM EDT
[#3]
That's perfectly normal for a little guy that young. He's only got a bladder about te size of a golf ball right now and he doesnt have the muscle control to really hold it yet.  Sounds like he's doing fine. First thing I'd do is get him to the vet and get him all of his shots, trim his nails, and sign up for a puppy obedience class.  Cute little guy for sure!
Link Posted: 6/10/2011 1:07:02 PM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 6/10/2011 1:44:48 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:

First thing I'd do is get him to the vet and get him all of his shots, trim his nails, and sign up for a puppy obedience class.

Vet appointment is on Wednesday (earliest I could get) and he definitely needs his nails trimmed, and a class is in the pipe.

He mostly sleeps:

But this morning he figured out there was peanut butter in his kong and went apeshit over the thing.
Link Posted: 6/10/2011 3:45:22 PM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 6/10/2011 7:36:13 PM EDT
[#7]
Good looking pup.  Congratulations  
Link Posted: 6/10/2011 7:43:32 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

Quoted:

Best of luck with him.

Well this is my "first" dog, I had one as a kid but I didn't really train it. Any advice arfcommers want to give will be welcome. Right now I'm all "Oh shit, is this normal? Am I doing this right?"

Last night he slept in his crate. His previous owner would have him sleep in her bed, and then in the morning he would have trouble "making it out" before he'd pee. So last night whenever he would whine, I'd put his collar on, take him outside, he'd pee, and then I'd put him back in his crate. He'd whine for another, oh, 45 seconds and then be quiet for about 3 hours until I had to do it again. Is that SOP? I figure since he's a puppy, he's gotta pee a lot. Hell, I get up in the middle of the night to pee. I don't want to instill any bad habits (like getting my ass up 4 times a night) but I also don't want him to piss in his crate.

If this is your first dog since childhood, please consider getting him on premium food as a priority, if it is at all possible to swing (I know times are tough). Feeding premium will in the long run probably cost less due to fewer vet visits, and it will make him as smart and healthy as possible. The big box petsmart and petco stores can have decent food if you look really hard, but if you shop a premiium supplier, you're more likely to find excellect food more easily.  If you happen to be in NOVA, some good premium food stores (i'm sure there are many more) are Weber Pet Supermarket, and Wylie Wagg.  I think you are SO on target to want to do classes, to socialize him.  Good luck!  
Link Posted: 6/11/2011 12:09:36 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Good looking pup.  Congratulations  

+1
Link Posted: 6/11/2011 1:21:32 AM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:

Quoted:

First thing I'd do is get him to the vet and get him all of his shots, trim his nails, and sign up for a puppy obedience class.

Vet appointment is on Wednesday (earliest I could get) and he definitely needs his nails trimmed, and a class is in the pipe.    

He mostly sleeps:

But this morning he figured out there was peanut butter in his kong and went apeshit over the thing.

LOL, the little guys will tend to do that. They'll go a million miles an hour for a little while then crash, out cold, for a little while. Soon as they wake up they're ready to do it all over again.

Link Posted: 6/11/2011 5:55:48 PM EDT
[#11]
Good looking dog
Link Posted: 6/12/2011 8:38:38 AM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:

If this is your first dog since childhood, please consider getting him on premium food as a priority, if it is at all possible

He's on Blue Buffalo lamb flavored puppy food.

Link Posted: 6/12/2011 1:14:55 PM EDT
[#13]
undoc rot?  
Link Posted: 6/13/2011 11:13:02 AM EDT
[#14]
Awwwwwe, ittle puppy

Rotty?
Link Posted: 6/13/2011 11:54:33 PM EDT
[#15]
Looks like a little Doberpup to me.
Link Posted: 6/14/2011 1:09:03 PM EDT
[#16]
Nice dag.

Link Posted: 6/14/2011 3:44:47 PM EDT
[#17]
That guy looks like he is going to be a lifelong buddy who will always be at your side
Link Posted: 6/30/2011 8:44:34 AM EDT
[#18]
Update, if anyone cares.

I think we're almost through teething, which has been...a trying experience. He at one point wanted to put everything in his mouth. Toys, furniture, water bowl, rocks, snails, us. You name it, he wanted to bite it. We got him a HD tire toy and a teething bone which stopped most of it. Frozen washcloth went a long way too. Hasn't really destroyed anything.

When he's outside walking, EVERYTHING fucking smells interesting. It's difficult to take him for a walk, because we have to stop for every pile of bird shit, every pebble, every blade of grass. Sometimes he gets it out of his system and the just trots along right beside us, leash nice and loose. I give him treats for that but damn if it can't be annoying.

He had an encounter with a snapping turtle when my wife took him for a walk the other day. There apparently is a fist-sized or so snapping turtle that lives in the drainage ditches or something in our neighborhood. Well he saw it and barked his little lungs out while trying to go after it. The turtle, (true to snapping turtle fashion) wasn't having any of THAT bullshit and decided to stand his ground. She eventually got him (the dog) in the house, but I thought it was an entertaining story.

He'd probably "sleep" through the night, but I pretty regularly wake up around 1:30, so I just take his ass out "just in case". I think in a week or so I'll stop doing that. He's been pretty good with the house training. He has a "i've gotta go" bark that we recognize when he remembers to use it. We did have one pretty serious accident involving him, some foam-consistency dogshit, and my basement carpet, but I'm not sure it was his fault, I think he ate something outside that didn't agree with him. (Birdshit? Snail? Ebola covered rock? Pick one.)

Anyway, he's really cute, and a huge snugglebug. It's been hard to keep him off the furniture, but really only when we're on it also. Mrs. Therex doesn't help in this situation. *sigh* She's a pushover. It's quite clear who our hypothetical children will go to when they want something. "But he's so CUTE" Yes dear, I know it and *so does he*.

Link Posted: 6/30/2011 1:42:59 PM EDT
[#19]
Good looking pup!  Sounds like you're doing just fine.  He'll grow out of the smelling everything eventually.  Don't be afraid to just pull him along and keep him from smelling everything.  They'll learn when they have time and when not to smell.
Link Posted: 6/30/2011 1:46:39 PM EDT
[#20]
great looking pup.
Link Posted: 6/30/2011 9:03:43 PM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:

When he's outside walking, EVERYTHING fucking smells interesting. It's difficult to take him for a walk, because we have to stop for every pile of bird shit, every pebble, every blade of grass. Sometimes he gets it out of his system and the just trots along right beside us, leash nice and loose. I give him treats for that but damn if it can't be annoying.

Duh he is a puppy.

More pics.

Link Posted: 7/4/2011 8:15:34 PM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:

Duh he is a puppy.

More pics.

Who am I to argue?

My wife turns his ears inside out to annoy me sometimes, I think...

His best "handsome boy" pose:

So he had a couple firsts today. #1: First trip to Wal-Mart. Yes, I brought my dog to walmart. He's a service dog. He keeps me from verbally assaulting morons in the store. That makes him a, what, diplomat dog? Anyway, the greeter was all "Is he a seeing eye dog?" Which is kind of a stupid question. A: he's still clearly a puppy. B: you see any blind people holding his leash? No? Just me? Huh. Weird. Anyway, I told the guy he was a service dog, and he was like "what kind?" and I said "No kind, he's just a puppy getting his socialization training." Old fart didn't like it, but he let me go in anyway. Once in the store, nobody cared. (cue all the "You should obey the rules" people.)

#2: His first trip to the shooting range. He didn't like it very much, but he didn't bark up a storm or anything, and he didn't cower, he just wanted to GTFO. I figure he'll get used to it. Or he won't. Whatever. In related news, my USP45 Expert is the softest shooting .45 I think I've ever had the pleasure of pulling the trigger on.

Also, he loves NIGHT SNACKS:

Seriously, he ate probably a dozen beetles that were screwing in my yard after the rain last night. And of course, the infamous snails. As soon as I figure out he's chewing on one, I take it out and toss it in the yard. I've yet to have him crack the shell on one, but I figure the first time he does will be the last. Or, maybe he'll love to eat snails.

Link Posted: 7/5/2011 12:02:49 AM EDT
[#23]
Give him treats while shooting.  It'll help distill the shots are a good thing.  Then there are some that don't get used to it.  Some people recommend shooting a 22 while feeding and graduate up to louder things.
Link Posted: 7/5/2011 12:41:04 AM EDT
[#24]
Do umm.. how much hear loss do dogs get when they are around gun fire.. same as or worse than people?

Link Posted: 7/9/2011 4:29:57 AM EDT
[#25]
Awesome dog!
Link Posted: 7/9/2011 12:03:53 PM EDT
[#26]
Took him to the vet yesterday for his second round of shots. In a month, he's gained 8 lbs to be 30.8. He's a big hit with everyone he meets, they all love him. The downside to that is that he thinks everybody is there to pet him. Always. "Oh, you're a person, here, let me make it easier to love on me."

He's much better about pulling his leash, but he likes to chew on myself and mrs. rex.

Also, whenever he goes out to pee, he sometimes decides just to lay down in the grass, and it's really hard to get him back inside. :-p
Link Posted: 7/11/2011 1:56:32 PM EDT
[#27]
Rotty's are the best friends a man can have.  Good looking pup enjoy him....
Link Posted: 8/11/2011 9:23:51 AM EDT
[#28]

He's got one puppytooth left, and it's loose.

He's also a little bitey still. Sometimes it's fine, but he wants to greet you with his mouth, which I'm trying to break him of. It's only really with us, though. He doesn't try to chew on anyone else.

But he's really cute, so I guess we will keep him.

Link Posted: 8/11/2011 3:52:17 PM EDT
[#29]
OP, it is seriously easy to get a service dog certification if he has a good temperment.  i worked at a shelter for a while and i know plenty of people  who have service dogs for their anxiety.
Link Posted: 8/15/2011 2:08:28 AM EDT
[#30]
Great looking dog!

Try freezing some carrots and wet rope toys for him to gnaw on to help soothe his teeth, it helped my pup not eat all of my shoes and electrical cords.

Sadly I found this out after he chewed the cork out of a 16yo bottle of scotch
Link Posted: 8/16/2011 8:49:11 AM EDT
[#31]
Funny story last night. Our house has a little deck, and the dog likes to go out there and "survey his lands". He likes to take a toy while he does it. So last night, tire in his mouth, he scratches at the door, and we let him out. About 15 minutes later, he wants in. My wife opens the door, and in he trots, tireless.

Mrs. Therex: Diesel, where is your tire?

Diesel: *sits and barks* (What?)

Mrs. Therex: Diesel, go get your tire.,

Diesel: *bark!* (Mom, I don't wanna. You get it.)

He looks at me at this point, and I just look away, back at my book.

Mrs. Therex: Go. Get. Your. Tire. (Pointing out towards the deck)

Diesel:*bark!* (No habla englais, senorita.)

Mrs. Therex: Diesel, go get your tire.

Diesel: *ass wags, and barks* (But mooooooooom)

Mrs. Therex: Now. Go get your tire.

Diesel: Chuffs and starts walking

So the dog trots out onto the deck, picks up the tire, and stops just short of the (still open) door. Where he promptly drops his tire just outside the door, comes back inside, and lays down on his bed.

My dog is a smartass.

Link Posted: 9/14/2011 9:11:43 PM EDT
[#32]
Well last week he lost his balls. He doesn't seem to miss them, though, so that's good.

He's 46 lbs, and he's been doing "ok" in puppy class. It's only his second week, and we didn't work with him much after the first week due to his surgery.

Anyway, no new pictures, but maybe I'll take some for you guys this weekend. Also, my gopro should be here tomorrow, and I'm going to try to fab a rig for his Kong harness, so we can get some Diesel Eye View of whatever he thinks is interesting.
Link Posted: 9/14/2011 9:16:58 PM EDT
[#33]
Good looking pooch.
Link Posted: 9/16/2011 8:25:50 AM EDT
[#34]
Missy @ 10 WEEKS old
(Aug 2010)
http://i3.photobucket.com/albums/y99/PdxMotoXer/th_100_1354.jpg

Missy @ 12 months old (Aug 2011
http://i3.photobucket.com/albums/y99/PdxMotoXer/th_100_0404.jpg

this is my second pup (both lost puppy teeth at 4-5 months old if that helps you with age of yours)

Remember they are a VERY smart breed and NEVER spank or hit them.. just a raised mean tone of voice will hurt their feelings
and they will behave. if not... a water bottle with a stern "NO" works 100% of the time and keeps aggression away.
and plenty of treats when they do good things.  

They will always NEED you and unlike real kids the older they get the more they will love and need you.
very pretty pup you got there.

Being your "first" pup/dog i would say yes on training for both of you. (make sure and pass what you learn on to wife and kids)
a good class will teach you how to teach the pup.
Link Posted: 9/18/2011 7:36:17 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

Quoted:

Duh he is a puppy.

More pics.

Who am I to argue?  
My wife turns his ears inside out to annoy me sometimes, I think...
His best "handsome boy" pose:

So he had a couple firsts today. #1: First trip to Wal-Mart. Yes, I brought my dog to walmart. He's a service dog. He keeps me from verbally assaulting morons in the store. That makes him a, what, diplomat dog? Anyway, the greeter was all "Is he a seeing eye dog?" Which is kind of a stupid question. A: he's still clearly a puppy. B: you see any blind people holding his leash? No? Just me? Huh. Weird. Anyway, I told the guy he was a service dog, and he was like "what kind?" and I said "No kind, he's just a puppy getting his socialization training." Old fart didn't like it, but he let me go in anyway. Once in the store, nobody cared. (cue all the "You should obey the rules" people.)

#2: His first trip to the shooting range. He didn't like it very much, but he didn't bark up a storm or anything, and he didn't cower, he just wanted to GTFO. I figure he'll get used to it. Or he won't. Whatever. In related news, my USP45 Expert is the softest shooting .45 I think I've ever had the pleasure of pulling the trigger on.

Also, he loves NIGHT SNACKS:

Seriously, he ate probably a dozen beetles that were screwing in my yard after the rain last night. And of course, the infamous snails. As soon as I figure out he's chewing on one, I take it out and toss it in the yard. I've yet to have him crack the shell on one, but I figure the first time he does will be the last. Or, maybe he'll love to eat snails.

I doubt it on the snails... my dog loves the crunch he gets from those little bastards... I'll be sitting on the porch and a crunch look around, and there's my brittany spaniel, eating him some escargo.
Link Posted: 9/18/2011 10:00:32 PM EDT
[#36]

Quoted:

Do umm.. how much hear loss do dogs get when they are around gun fire.. same as or worse than people?  

Dogs have VERY sensitive hearing.

Unless it is a hunting dog (and Dobies aren't), I wouldn't take him to the range unless you want the dog to go deaf.
Link Posted: 10/19/2011 9:36:44 PM EDT
[#37]
Narrowly escaped being a two dog household.

Mrs. Therex was taking Diesel D. for a walk, and on the way, this little girl showed up:

No collar, no adult teeth, ribs showing and flea ridden. :( But she had soft fur and trimmed nails. I walked her around the neighborhood, nobody had ever seen her before. She had excellent leash manners, sitting on her little butt every time I stopped. She also played pretty well with my Diesel, but she liked to bite on his face and hang on, and he's too manly to yelp to make her quit. Anyway, it would make is little face swell until he looked like this:

Anyway, she was super cute, so I took her to get her shots and dewormer, plus an anti-tapeworm med, as she had 'em, and how. I had her re-homed with a coworker in a day, and while I was glad to see her go (can't do two puppies), she was really supercute:

Link Posted: 10/23/2011 1:32:43 PM EDT
[#38]
I've always felt that dogs can instantly pick out someone who is kind to dogs and they gravitate towards them.

I think that is what happened here. Glad to hear you were able to get that dog into a new home.
Link Posted: 10/26/2011 5:50:35 PM EDT
[#39]
Moar pics of dog.

He's turning into quite the handsome pup:

He's also very snuggly. He was on the couch with us the other day, sleeping with his head at my hip. Then his chin was on my leg, then his head on my leg and the next thing I know I have a dog in my lap. But real sneakylike.

Here he is snuggling with "The Treat Giver":

I say that, but he's gotta earn every treat he gets. Even if it's just as simple as a sit, or a 'get on your bed', he doesn't get treats for the hell of it. I got complimented on his behavior by the dog groomer today when he got his nails did. That made me feel good, because sometimes at home I feel like the worst dogparent on earth.

I got a brandy new pair of polarized Oakley Gascans as a hard-earned treat to myself, laid them on the table the day I got them home, and went to go get them 5 minutes later...missing. The dog had them! I nearly committed canicide right there, but they were unharmed. He was more interested in the soft, toylike HDO bag, but he got a firm "bad dog!" just the same. He knew he wasn't supposed to have them too, the little shithead.

All that aside, he's a pretty good dog most of the time. He sometimes knows the different names for his toys (bone vs kong) and I swear, I know dogs are colorblind, but he has an affinity for red and black things...which just happen to be the two colors of ALL his toys. Red socks? His. Blue socks? He could give a shit. He's also super cute, but hard to get a picture of because he wants to know what you have in your hand:

Link Posted: 11/3/2011 9:30:54 AM EDT
[#40]
Had to give the dog a bath today:

Link Posted: 11/3/2011 10:01:50 AM EDT
[#41]
I know you said you didn't want two pups, but a second dog really helps with their behavior.

It's obvious that Diesel found a good home...might be time to entertain taking another unwanted pup.
Link Posted: 11/3/2011 10:11:22 AM EDT
[#42]
THANK YOU for rescuing a Rotten one in need of a good home!  Diesel looks to be shaping up into an awesome companion.
Link Posted: 12/1/2011 9:22:15 PM EDT
[#43]

Dog is my co-pilot.
Link Posted: 12/1/2011 11:08:07 PM EDT
[#44]
Looks like you have a great buddy there
Link Posted: 1/7/2012 2:34:30 PM EDT
[#45]
My dad "doesn't like dogs" and hated the idea of us getting a dog.

So here's the dog snuggling with my dad in the truck:

lol.

Now, speaking of, how do you guys secure your dogs in your vehicles? I had a small accident in my Jeep the other day, and the dog wasn't really buckled in, kind of scared him. But we haven't found anything that he's comfortable enough with to actually use. Thoughts?

Link Posted: 1/7/2012 9:58:31 PM EDT
[#46]
nice pup! my lab just rides so i would also like to hear some ideas for when they ride.
Link Posted: 1/11/2012 2:56:08 AM EDT
[#47]
Good lookin dog you got there. Here are a couple options for doggy "seatbelts"

LINK 1

LINK 2

LINK 3
Link Posted: 1/11/2012 3:17:21 AM EDT
[#48]
sorry, didn't. realize this thread had many updates...  good looking dog you got there
Link Posted: 1/11/2012 2:00:24 PM EDT
[#49]

Quoted:

Had to give the dog a bath today:

Link Posted: 1/11/2012 4:23:25 PM EDT
[#50]
everyone is pointing you in the right directions so far

as far as nails go.... go to walmart and pick up those 20 dollar cheapy cordless dremels with the sandpaper tip... and turn it on low... let him get use to it being on around him... then slowly start touching part of it to his foot while it's running (not the actual sand paper bit) so he gets use to the vibration.... then start slowly grinding his nails.

this is better for him as it'll get them closer to the quick without any bleeding or real pain, keeps them nice and rounded without any sharp edges too.

I do this to my pit/lab mix. the first few times were slow and he didn't really like it but now he puts up with it just fine... lays on his back till i'm done then he knows it's treat time!!

edit: lol looks like he's already grown up into quite the dag! and you have groomers do his nails. so nvm! lol
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 3
Page General » Pets
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top