Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 11/14/2014 5:09:59 PM EDT
So let's say you apply for a job somewhere in a corporate flight department.  The application is done through the company website via one of those very common job applying programs, where you upload your resume etc etc etc and have to answer their questions about PIC time and type ratings etc.

But, you also happen to have the name and email address of the chief pilot/Director of Operations/whatever.

What say the (aviation forum) hive mind on sending an email directly to the decision maker?

Pros?  Cons?
Link Posted: 11/14/2014 5:24:30 PM EDT
[#1]
Well I've never had occasion to do it but my gut would say...contact el hefe.

At the very least, you have the opportunity to set yourself apart from the stack of resumes that came through regular channels. At the very least, you will have established yourself as proactive and interested.

Just be obsequious in the email...that's shooting yourself in the foot.
Link Posted: 11/14/2014 9:39:53 PM EDT
[#2]
DO IT...TODAY
Link Posted: 11/14/2014 9:46:14 PM EDT
[#3]
If you do it, make damn sure it's well worded, grammatically correct, and relevant. Any message in written form is an opportunity to help yourself or hurt yourself. Do everything possible to make it the former rather than the latter. Nothing casual here.
Link Posted: 11/14/2014 10:00:15 PM EDT
[#4]
In the old days we would intercept and temporarily detain the chief pilot at his local bar and after sufficiently inebriating him obtain incriminating photos of hisownself having sex with two goats and a pair of identical twin black twin sisters from the Detroit so as to guarantee employment. Later he would be thankful and want to do it again.

No guts, no glory
Link Posted: 11/15/2014 12:35:22 AM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 11/15/2014 10:24:52 AM EDT
[#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Spend the money to buy a stamp.

View Quote

This.

Email gets screened by secretaries and admin assistants, personally addressed letters do not.

maker sure your resume and stuff is in the electronic system though.
Link Posted: 11/15/2014 4:39:42 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

This.

Email gets screened by secretaries and admin assistants, personally addressed letters do not.

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

This.

Oh that's a good point.

Thanks!

ETA===>  the applying/hiring process in the corporate world is entirely different from the airline world, in my experience anyway.
Link Posted: 11/18/2014 3:39:48 AM EDT
[#8]
Sorry I'm late to the thread.   The answer is Yes.  Contact him.  It is difficult to be too forward.

You have to go a little out of your comfort zone.

He's going to hire someone he knows.    You need to make sure he knows you.
Link Posted: 11/18/2014 11:23:50 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

View Quote

I'd say FedEx it overnight. Whenever you get an overnight FedEx envelope, people say "what's this?" and enjoy pulling that little strip to open it. I wouldn't send it certified mail since they usually contain bad news.

I read a book a long time ago when I was a 19 year old unemployed college graduate called "What Color is Your Parachute?" I guess there's an updated version of it now; there's nothing earth shattering it, but it contains the statistics of how job seekers look for work and how companies do their hiring. http://www.amazon.com/What-Color-Your-Parachute-2015/dp/1607745550/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1416324138&sr=8-1&keywords=what+color+is+your+parachute&pebp=1416324142424

Link Posted: 11/18/2014 10:29:25 PM EDT
[#10]
I've done just that, sent my resume with a personal note. The next day I received a call from the principle asking me to fly to his lacation to meet ASAP.
Link Posted: 11/24/2014 10:08:43 PM EDT
[#11]
Well, sent emails to the chief pilot and director of aviation.

I chose to go the email route for time.....  it's a holiday week and I didn't finish my HS-125 recurrent until this past weekend (and didn't finish my SMS class until late Friday) so I used those as things to contact them about.

I considered FedExing letters next day but with this week being what it is I felt email is something these 2 probably have access to 24/7.

Anyway, thanks for the advice guys.
Link Posted: 11/24/2014 10:45:43 PM EDT
[#12]
Is this for that railroad company flight department?

If so, then absolutely call the guy/gal. My son the railroad engineer says that railroaders admire a go get'em attitude.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top