Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 4/28/2016 1:13:45 AM EDT
Looking for a new humidor for 200 cigars. I would like a modern nice humidor that is a plug and play. I don't want to mess with it to much. Recommendations?
Link Posted: 4/28/2016 1:17:19 AM EDT
[#1]
Forget the humidor

Buy a cooler and some humidity beads like these http://www.cigarbeads.com/ or these http://www.heartfeltindustries.com/products.asp?cat=65%25+Rh+Humidity+Beads

The cooler will hold more including full boxes, it'll be cheaper, and the beads don't require much attention.

Link Posted: 4/28/2016 2:21:29 AM EDT
[#2]
Forget the beads.

Go with Boveda packs...I've had far better luck with them than the beads.
Link Posted: 4/28/2016 2:22:15 AM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Forget the beads.

Go with Boveda packs...I've had far better luck with them than the beads.
View Quote

I've had HCM beads for 3+ yrs...only charged them once since

Link Posted: 4/28/2016 5:24:08 PM EDT
[#4]
I understand the wine cooler and how it could be attractive. I'm just not looking to put that much work into it. I was hoping to find a humidor I can take out of the box and use.
Link Posted: 4/28/2016 5:50:40 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
I understand the wine cooler and how it could be attractive. I'm just not looking to put that much work into it. I was hoping to find a humidor I can take out of the box and use.
View Quote

IMO, a traditional humidor is more work than a cooler, think igloo, not wine.
Link Posted: 4/28/2016 6:13:09 PM EDT
[#6]
I also use the HCM Beads. LOVE them!

Honestly, after having 3 traditional humidors, 2 coolers, & 1 wineador.....the wineador has been the easiest by far.

1. Order wine fridge
2. Order drawers from forrest or someone similar who will make them, and make them nice
3. Clean wine fridge and let air out once it arrives
4. Wipe down drawers with distilled water and put into wine fridge w/ a humidification device
5. Once stable add cigars
6. Enjoy

I do not believe I have had to add any water to my beads in the wineador since I got it started and stable. These beads give and take so it pretty much sits between 60*- 65* every time I look.

Or

NewAir CC-300 Cigar Cooler
Link Posted: 4/28/2016 10:15:33 PM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 4/29/2016 8:52:03 AM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 4/29/2016 8:53:32 AM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 4/29/2016 3:05:05 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

I agree....not much fluctuation due to seasons, EASY to setup...there is none....just make sure you add cigar boxes, trays or shelves to buffer humidity levels.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Coolers are so much easier to maintain than humidors.

I agree....not much fluctuation due to seasons, EASY to setup...there is none....just make sure you add cigar boxes, trays or shelves to buffer humidity levels.

pictures of what you're talking about? I think I understand. you're talking about a cooler, with beads in it?

scratch that reading is essential. I looked through the write up for a coolidor. thanks.
Link Posted: 5/3/2016 11:29:11 AM EDT
[#11]
Are these worth a damn?

When I upgrade its what I am currently leaning toward.
Link Posted: 5/3/2016 12:35:25 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Are these worth a damn?

http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/91PztkEZ7zL._SL1500_.jpg

View Quote

That looks nice. I'm leaning toward that now also.
Link Posted: 5/3/2016 12:45:50 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Are these worth a damn?

View Quote

Hell yeah, especially in Texas.
Link Posted: 5/3/2016 4:49:19 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Are these worth a damn?

Coolers are nice and easy and cheap, BUT, in a warm environment(any of the southern states), they just don't stay cool enough. I had a cooler and kept my house thermostat on 72-75 and I still got cigar beetles. Unless you have an area in your home that stays below 70, a cooler will really be no better than a humidor, except it holds more.

A wineador on the other hand, holds a lot and keeps the temperature where it needs to be.

Dr Joe Show - check out his videos on humidors and aging..........he has a very vast knowledge of information when it comes to cigars. Lots of good videos.

srob7001 Wineador Build - this is my build with lots of good info in the thread....if you are interested in more on this route.
Link Posted: 5/4/2016 9:27:31 PM EDT
[#15]
Just get a decent wine cooler and you will save the headaches...good storage, keeps better humidity then stick build and literally maintenance free.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top