Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 9/22/2014 9:47:33 PM EDT
A while back I picked up a 1TB WD external drive to back up my other older WD 750MB drive.
I was going thru the directories to try and organize a bit and saw a bunch showed up as 'no files found"

Poked around , and while it looks like most of what shows as empty I may have moved elsewhere to consolidate, it odd that I left the folder, it still seems like I may be missing some.

I there any decent free/cheap software that could scan the directory and see if something is missing?

On the plus side, I found a stash I thought didn't get backed up of our 3 yr old when our laptops were stolen, so thats good

Thanks in advance!
Link Posted: 9/23/2014 12:46:21 AM EDT
[#1]
"Recuva" gets good reviews.  However, I don't know how well you can limit its scans when dealing with large hard drives.
Link Posted: 9/29/2014 12:10:58 PM EDT
[#2]
For the home user I would recommend PhotoRec. There are many tools that I use for recovery but most of the advanced tools are only available in Linux.

www.cgsecurity.org/wiki/PhotoRec_Step_By_Step

C|HFI
Computer Hacking Forensic Investigator
Link Posted: 9/29/2014 11:08:20 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
For the home user I would recommend PhotoRec. There are many tools that I use for recovery but most of the advanced tools are only available in Linux.

www.cgsecurity.org/wiki/PhotoRec_Step_By_Step

C|HFI
Computer Hacking Forensic Investigator
View Quote

I actually downloaded that a couple days ago.
36 hours to process a 750MB drive, but it seems like it worked. Now to sort thru everything it found.
Link Posted: 9/30/2014 6:46:53 PM EDT
[#4]
Agree with PhotoRec. Excellent piece of software.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top