Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 174
Link Posted: 8/19/2016 6:41:10 PM EDT
[#1]
Quoted:
Well, crap.  I don't really have any viable upgrade paths to the Terrapin, or anything I can melt for the Explorer's package.  On top of that, for actual small-crew exploration, the DUR trounces the Terrapin in every regard except toughness.  I sort of thought Anvil was an odd manufacturer for an explorer, but looking at the stats on it, I think it's pretty obviously a support ship for a fleet...armored eyes and ears.

I had heard it was a freighter, which had me excited, but seeing what it really is...I really do love the look of the thing...I just don't see it serving as well in any capacity as the ships I have.  I might consider a cargo variant if they come out with one.
View Quote

Hull B and Freelancer Dur are melted and I have a Terrapin  Man I hate you guys for getting me into this lol  I'll unmelt the Freelancer once I have some spare cash though.

It comes down to personal use really.  Most of my stuff is (hopefully) going to be high value low volume stuff, be it ores, gems, Orion slave girls, etc.  So being able to just take a pounding and keep running is a good thing for me.  Especially with the oversized sensors on it.

But yeah, The DUR beats the snot out of it for cargo and exploring.
Link Posted: 8/19/2016 6:55:24 PM EDT
[#2]
Holly shit what an amazing presentation.
Link Posted: 8/19/2016 7:44:38 PM EDT
[#3]
Any reason to pick up another rover when I have an Aquila and a Carrack? Have two greycats also, but at $5 it's kinda tempting.
Link Posted: 8/19/2016 7:48:19 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

No, UEC (game money).  And yes, there will be many types of insurance, and hull insurance will cost more for bigger ships.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
So what happens when you die or your ship gets blown up? I don't wanna spend $300 on a ship just to have it get blown up in the first five minutes I'm playing the game and not be able to recover it somehow

Just like a car, you buy insurance.

If you pick up one of the concept sales, they come with lifetime hull insurance (LTI) that'll replace your ship in the same condition it was in the last time you passed through a gate.  Upgrade and cargo insurance are extra.

If you don't have LTI, regular insurance isn't supposed to be as big a deal as it is in, say, Eve.  CR says that his intent is to keep insurance costs in the realm of real life car insurance.
Even then ships come with something like six months of insurance.

Is the insurance in real money? And if it's like real life car insurance, I'm guessing insurance for a bigger ship is gonna cost more

No, UEC (game money).  And yes, there will be many types of insurance, and hull insurance will cost more for bigger ships.

Cost of the insurance will depend on the size of the ship and the zone(s) you'll be flying.  Get too far out into low sec and you'll find your high sec insurance rep won't really be buying that you didn't see it coming.  

Too far out into low sec/null sec, and you'll have to find a pirate insurer for your ships.  That's gonna cost more, but out there you'll (theoretically) be earning more, right?

Also, the number of times you've cashed in on the insurance will factor into the game.  Prang that aurora too many times and you'll start seeing long wait periods before replacement.  Eventually, they'll just decide you're a bad risk and tell you to go hump off.  Supposed to discourage lowlifes (goons) from purchasing cheap ramships, just smashing them into larger ships like missiles, and collecting insurance.

Oh, and larger, rarer ships will take longer to replace than smaller, cheaper, more common ones.  So it isn't a bad idea to have a cheap backup in the hanger in case your Merchantman gets blowed up.
Link Posted: 8/19/2016 7:50:00 PM EDT
[#5]
Well, at $195, no terrapin for me.  Nothing really in the sale that really makes me want to spend the money.  So sad.
Link Posted: 8/19/2016 7:59:44 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
Well, at $195, no terrapin for me.  Nothing really in the sale that really makes me want to spend the money.  So sad.
View Quote

They are saving the big stuff for citizencon in 2 weeks ish.
Link Posted: 8/19/2016 8:05:33 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I'm just hoping they get the CCD working so I can do a hanger rodeo and figure out where I stand regarding what I have v what I want.  Still have a couple of LTI placeholders I can use, but nowhere really to put them.
Link Posted: 8/19/2016 8:15:43 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

October 9.

Kharn
Link Posted: 8/19/2016 8:48:45 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
You can get a copy of the single and mmo game for around $60 these days.  When you get around to buying a copy of the game, just ask for advice here.  Don't want to say something now and have it change.

They just unveiled the Terrapin freighter.  Hate to say it, but my Hull B is probably getting melted for one.  Possibly two depending on cost.  

https://scontent-sea1-1.xx.fbcdn.net/t31.0-8/13988111_1136947206347300_4185070377833844092_o.jpg
View Quote

Looks cool.  I may have to melt my Hull B, too
Link Posted: 8/19/2016 11:29:32 PM EDT
[#10]
I haven't really played much in months, but my 3 yr old loves the game.  Tonight, as I browsed through ships, he comes up and says something.  I missed it, and asked what he said.  He gets this sort of embarrassed look on his face, and he says:

Click To View Spoiler

Little dude got a hug the size of the world, lol.

Spoiler probably doesn't work, I'm drunk.

ETA:  Fuck me, it worked.
Link Posted: 8/20/2016 8:57:05 AM EDT
[#11]
Link Posted: 8/20/2016 10:21:00 AM EDT
[#12]
Link Posted: 8/20/2016 12:27:50 PM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:
I thought almost everything I owned had LTI but I just went through the list and most doesn't.

Hornet Ghost        LTI (my first pledge digital colonel)

Freelancer MIS     6 mo

Cutlass Blue         6 mo

Redeemer             LTI

Super Hornet        24 mo

Gladiator                6 mo

Vangard                  LTI

Hull C                      LTI

Reliant                    LTI

Retaliator               LTI

Sabre                      LTI

Dragonfly YJ          LTI

I seem to recall for awhile they wanted to do away with LTI then I guess they weren't making enough money so they brought it back. There are a couple ships in that list that I don't give a crap about and a couple that I would like to get LTI on them (the Limited ones). Any way to do that?
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

I'm just hoping they get the CCD working so I can do a hanger rodeo and figure out where I stand regarding what I have v what I want.  Still have a couple of LTI placeholders I can use, but nowhere really to put them.

I thought almost everything I owned had LTI but I just went through the list and most doesn't.

Hornet Ghost        LTI (my first pledge digital colonel)

Freelancer MIS     6 mo

Cutlass Blue         6 mo

Redeemer             LTI

Super Hornet        24 mo

Gladiator                6 mo

Vangard                  LTI

Hull C                      LTI

Reliant                    LTI

Retaliator               LTI

Sabre                      LTI

Dragonfly YJ          LTI

I seem to recall for awhile they wanted to do away with LTI then I guess they weren't making enough money so they brought it back. There are a couple ships in that list that I don't give a crap about and a couple that I would like to get LTI on them (the Limited ones). Any way to do that?
Melt, buy cheaper ship that has LTI, CCU back to ship you want LTI on.  But only if its still for sale.
Link Posted: 8/20/2016 12:41:13 PM EDT
[#14]
Sooo....

I bought that exploration pack with the carrack, terrapin, and the dragon fly. It's a pretty good deal you basically get $90 off or so, it cut the terrapin price about in half.

I also have that ground vehicle pack in my cart. I think I'm sick and need to attend a ship buyers addiction course.
Link Posted: 8/20/2016 12:43:38 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
Sooo....

I bought that exploration pack with the carrack, terrapin, and the dragon fly. It's a pretty good deal you basically get $90 off or so, it cut the terrapin price about in half.

I also have that ground vehicle pack in my cart. I think I'm sick and need to attend a ship buyers addiction course.
View Quote

Welcome to the spending too much money on a game club.
Link Posted: 8/20/2016 12:46:18 PM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Sooo....

We would have meetings, but I can't afford gas money.  

Link Posted: 8/20/2016 1:02:32 PM EDT
[#17]
Link Posted: 8/20/2016 1:05:58 PM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:

Sooo....

View Quote
Carrack comes with a rover, but you can never have too many golf carts heh. I know you can't melt the individual greycats, but seeing as how the rover pack is purchased with money and not UEC you should be able to melt if another sale comes up and you're looking for fodder.

Link Posted: 8/20/2016 1:09:47 PM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:

So I just added an upgrade to an F7a to my stable.

can I apply it to my ghost on my digital colonel, if so will I keep the LTI?

Or should I ccu my reliant with LTI to a hornet then apply the f7a upgrade?
View Quote
You can upgrade the individual ships in the package and it will keep LTI. They'll let you upgrade, but not melt individual ships in the packages for some reason.

Link Posted: 8/20/2016 1:19:52 PM EDT
[#20]
Link Posted: 8/20/2016 4:40:19 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
You can upgrade the individual ships in the package and it will keep LTI. They'll let you upgrade, but not melt individual ships in the packages for some reason.  
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
So I just added an upgrade to an F7a to my stable.
can I apply it to my ghost on my digital colonel, if so will I keep the LTI?
Or should I ccu my reliant with LTI to a hornet then apply the f7a upgrade?

Package ships are discounted...they probably just don't want to fuck with how to discount each ship, and the echoes of that discount all the way through the game.
Link Posted: 8/20/2016 5:42:50 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
Sooo....

View Quote

Won't work.  Ship buying, like EBR disease, is a virus, and there ain't no cure for virii.
Link Posted: 8/20/2016 6:30:04 PM EDT
[#23]
I promised myself that when I bought in with a freelancer quite a while ago, that I would not spend any money on upgrading or other ships till the game came out, where I would earn my way to whatever fleet I wanted to build. It gets harder and hard with every demo and concept that rolls out.
Seeing the dragonfly park right inside a freelaner just made my whole day, being a freelancer owner.

This is the demo I will show everyone, and I have already gotten 2 more people to get sucked in.
Link Posted: 8/20/2016 10:06:53 PM EDT
[#24]
Link Posted: 8/20/2016 10:21:13 PM EDT
[#25]
I imagine CIG is going to slap the guy hard with a takedown notice, but I'd buy one of these if I had the cash.  Link was from reddit.  Second image is something from in game that they posted and I thought was funny.

https://www.etsy.com/shop/Eltonbrand

Link Posted: 8/21/2016 12:17:25 AM EDT
[#26]
Link Posted: 8/21/2016 1:59:40 AM EDT
[#27]
Screenshots from the 3.0 demo taken in 4k

Link Posted: 8/21/2016 1:21:06 PM EDT
[#28]
Some interesting info:

0:15: In-game prices for ships and length of play required? Ship price disparity will increase but not geometric like in the real world (pistol vs Cessna vs Gulfstream vs aircraft carrier), an org would earn a capital ship. Bigger ships will have bigger paying jobs, but big ships will have significant upkeep costs. Working on earnings balancing now. Earning pro

4:50: PVP slider? Universe still 90% AI, so a large amount of interaction will be AI, some areas monitored vs un-monitored. PVP can occur in monitored areas with repercussions, un-monitored areas will be a free-for-all. Still have some level of the slider for interdiction encounters.

6:50: VOIP? "Wait for CitizenCon"

7:15: 2.6 won't have Sataball, Star Marine level will be improved vs what we previously saw

7:45: CR doesn't know which system will be next after Stanton, but probably those within jump range of Stanton.

8:30: CR prefers a HOTAS, M&KB for FPS, gamepad for demos. No room for HOTAS on the desks during 3.0 demo so they used gamepad and M&KB

9:50: If CR were a regular backer, he would be a explorer or pirate.
View Quote

Kharn
Link Posted: 8/21/2016 8:25:03 PM EDT
[#29]

Damn that's beautiful.

Link Posted: 8/21/2016 9:29:56 PM EDT
[#30]
Notes from CR's interview after the show (from reddit) bolding by me.

They ran the demo presentation close to 22 (perhaps closer to 30) times to various parties at the con. Two crashes happened and one hard hang.
Unlike a lot of other games, including those with PG'ed planets, there is no specific draw distance. In 3.0 the curvature of the planet is the horizon.
Plans for Citcon are to show off "the next level" of the PG tech. Vegetation, water, oceans. A "Crysis style" planet.
The checkpoint on the way to Delamar is a QD beacon that also provides your EDL assisted "flight tunnels".
The 40 stations quoted at the demo are not all planned for 3.0. We'll see more duplication and modularity of the existing stations to build it out. They are working on a modular set for stations at the moment.
The tech allows for IRL scales but is being reduced for gameplay reasons. We're looking at a 1/10th scale of distance between planets. Planets are 1/4th scale in size.
40 minutes to cross Stanton.

Emphasis on ship maintenance for large haulers making long trips. Coming with items 2.0
Jobwell is coming in 3.0 along with more hand-crafted missions and those provided by actual characters.
Some elements of the PG'ed mission system coming in 3.0.
The last day of the shoot at Imaginarium was for the PU, not SQ42. Another shoot planned for PU mission content later in the year.
Lots of work still to do on facial capture. Eyes, hair, skin specifically.
Work on live facial capture (!). The plan is to release news reports in-game as quickly after the events as possible.
The plan is for player driven events to be reported on to create a more dynamic, living game.
Items 2.0 inlcudes ageing, wear and tear.
Player characters are supposed to age as well (?)

The mocap rig owned by CIG is in the UK. It was used to shoot the 3.0 stuff in the demo but at Imaginarium. The plan is to get this set up in the LA studio with smaller mocap sets at each studio as well. They might keep using professional sets in Ealing for the larger scale shoots.
SQ42 Ch.2 planned for about two years after Ch.1 comes out.
Link Posted: 8/22/2016 12:53:06 AM EDT
[#31]
New Gladius, Hornet, and Gladiator HUDS

Link Posted: 8/22/2016 2:29:50 AM EDT
[#32]

That was simply mind blowing and the most amazing technical feat I've ever seen in video game history. Sure there are other games that have similar basic concepts (No Man's Sky and Kerbal Space Program come to mind), but their level of sophistication and detail are insignificant when compared to what they showcased in that demo.
It'll be out by the end of the year too according to CR!

Link Posted: 8/22/2016 11:06:47 AM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

That was simply mind blowing and the most amazing technical feat I've ever seen in video game history. Sure there are other games that have similar basic concepts (No Man's Sky and Kerbal Space Program come to mind), but their level of sophistication and detail are insignificant when compared to what they showcased in that demo.

View All Quotes
Quoted:

True next gen gaming.
Link Posted: 8/23/2016 3:09:40 AM EDT
[#34]
Was on the reddit today there was a post about an article about the demo.  They said not to read the comments and someone posted why.  It was because their were a bunch of people who though the whole demo was fake.  Pre rendered, not live game play, cgi movie, no procedural generation just random cry engine terrain map etc.  

Some people are just beyond help.  I bet you that when this game gets released some people will still claim it isn't real.

I wonder what derp and excuses they will come up with after citizen con?

Link Posted: 8/23/2016 11:48:39 AM EDT
[#35]
Link Posted: 8/23/2016 11:50:45 AM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:

Well it probably wasn't procedurally generated
; that isn't what it is used for.
Second I am sure they took great steps to have the demo go off as well as possible. That is to say I doubt very much you could grab last nights build and a couple buddies and reproduce what they did there.
I am pretty confident the parts are all there or in process to do that so what they presented isn't a con job any more than a car dealer washing a car before they put it on the lot.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Was on the reddit today their was a post about an article about the demo.  They said not to read the comments and someone posted why.  It was because their were a bunch of people who though the whole demo was fake.  Pre rendered, not live game play, cgi movie, no procedural generation just random cry engine terrain map etc.  

Some people are just beyond help.  I bet you that when this game gets released some people will still claim it isn't real.

Second I am sure they took great steps to have the demo go off as well as possible. That is to say I doubt very much you could grab last nights build and a couple buddies and reproduce what they did there.
I am pretty confident the parts are all there or in process to do that so what they presented isn't a con job any more than a car dealer washing a car before they put it on the lot.

Yes it was.  We wouldn't even have planetary landings if they hadn't figured that out.
Link Posted: 8/23/2016 11:52:43 AM EDT
[#37]
Link Posted: 8/23/2016 11:58:13 AM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:

I think you may have a misunderstand of what procedural generation is.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Was on the reddit today their was a post about an article about the demo.  They said not to read the comments and someone posted why.  It was because their were a bunch of people who though the whole demo was fake.  Pre rendered, not live game play, cgi movie, no procedural generation just random cry engine terrain map etc.  

Yes it was.  We wouldn't even have planetary landings if they hadn't figured that out.

I know exactly what procedural generation is.
Link Posted: 8/23/2016 12:34:43 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Keep in mind NMS was procedurally generated and there was all sorts of shit in their tech demos you'll never see happen in-game. Paramaters can always be manipulated for the algorithm and what not.

Personally, I'm sure they worked some extra magic, but hey, they're selling a product. CIG is pretty good about not straight up lying like certain devs, so based off how they've been delivering so far, I don't see how people can get to EA/Ubi levels of skepticism.
Link Posted: 8/23/2016 1:20:20 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:

Keep in mind NMS was procedurally generated and there was all sorts of shit in their tech demos you'll never see happen in-game. Paramaters can always be manipulated for the algorithm and what not.

Personally, I'm sure they worked some extra magic, but hey, they're selling a product. CIG is pretty good about not straight up lying like certain devs, so based off how they've been delivering so far, I don't see how people can get to EA/Ubi levels of skepticism.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I honestly don't see what's causing you to doubt the nature of the terrain.  If you're referring to the structures, no, those are custom built and placed, we've always known they would be.  But the terrain itself is pretty typical of procedurally generated terrain.  The only thing that really made it glorious was the view on approach.  Procedurally-generated trees...now those, I've read, are a big challenge.  But a planet?  It's a sphere with a roughed up surface.
Link Posted: 8/23/2016 1:40:08 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
I honestly don't see what's causing you to doubt the nature of the terrain.  If you're referring to the structures, no, those are custom built and placed, we've always known they would be.  But the terrain itself is pretty typical of procedurally generated terrain.  The only thing that really made it glorious was the view on approach.  Procedurally-generated trees...now those, I've read, are a big challenge.  But a planet?  It's a sphere with a roughed up surface.
View Quote

"Pity," said Slartibartfast, "that was one of mine. Won an award you know. Lovely crinkly edges. I was most upset to hear about its destruction."
Link Posted: 8/23/2016 2:04:25 PM EDT
[#42]
Link Posted: 8/23/2016 4:02:11 PM EDT
[#43]

View Quote
I saw the a little while ago.

One of the things that amazes me the most recently with SC is that we are getting something WAAAAY before the game is released that I and probably all of of expected FAR FAR after the game is released.  We were told it was coming down the line after release and now they have it in its first iteration and we will have it too in a couple of months.

Link Posted: 8/23/2016 4:05:07 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:

One of the things that amazes me the most recently with SC is that we are getting something WAAAAY before the game is released that I and probably all of of expected FAR FAR after the game is released.  We were told it was coming down the line after release and now they have it in its first iteration and we will have it too in a couple of months.

View All Quotes
Quoted:

I'd attribute that to some expectation management along the way.  I'm sure he wanted it, but at first it seemed like it was going to be a pretty big job to make it happen, but along the way they figured out it was just as easy as building cut scenes for the landings.
Link Posted: 8/23/2016 4:11:39 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:

Well it probably wasn't procedurally generated; that isn't what it is used for.

I don't think it is unreasonable to be skeptical; many tech companies have faked demos in the past.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Well it probably wasn't procedurally generated; that isn't what it is used for.

I don't think it is unreasonable to be skeptical; many tech companies have faked demos in the past.

It was stated they did it a few times and there are still bugs and it crashed to say this was on rails is quite disingenuous.
Link Posted: 8/23/2016 4:17:24 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:

The only thing that really shocked me were the ground vehicles and atmospheric flight.  Atmospheric flight wasn't even really a thought until procedural planets became a real possibility, and that didn't happen until fairly recently, so that came together incredibly quick.  Otherwise, though, the progression of content has been pretty much what I expected.

Ground vehicles shocked me because they're almost trivial, unless procedural planets are solid enough for gameplay.  Why would you spend hours on those if there are ships to be worked on?  So to me it's a good sign that we're going to start seeing real content, and that the infrastructure stuff is solid.  Once that is in place, and CR can unleash the nerds on pure content....OMFG will people be spooging.
Link Posted: 8/23/2016 4:23:09 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:

The only thing that really shocked me were the ground vehicles and atmospheric flight.  Atmospheric flight wasn't even really a thought until procedural planets became a real possibility, and that didn't happen until fairly recently, so that came together incredibly quick.  Otherwise, though, the progression of content has been pretty much what I expected.

Ground vehicles shocked me because they're almost trivial, unless procedural planets are solid enough for gameplay.  Why would you spend hours on those if there are ships to be worked on?  So to me it's a good sign that we're going to start seeing real content, and that the infrastructure stuff is solid.  Once that is in place, and CR can unleash the nerds on pure content....OMFG will people be spooging.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Using a starfarer for a troop transport dropping off marines then providing CAS
Link Posted: 8/23/2016 4:25:04 PM EDT
[#48]

Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

For real.  I am expecting to ruin a pair of shorts watching the citizen con presentation.  If that's gonna make what we just saw not look good its gonna be CRAZY.

Link Posted: 8/23/2016 4:32:48 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Only if you want the Starfarer to be known as Hiroshima when the fuel tanks explode...

Kharn
Link Posted: 8/23/2016 5:30:30 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:

Only if you want the Starfarer to be known as Hiroshima when the fuel tanks explode...

Kharn
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Kharn

Take those off and put a troop transport on the end
Page / 174
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top