Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 174
Link Posted: 8/23/2016 5:41:18 PM EDT
[#1]
Just use the Starfarer as a very expensive bomber.  I figure entire tanks of starship fuel would make a hell of a big boom.
Link Posted: 8/23/2016 10:28:58 PM EDT
[#2]
Ho-lee shit the 3.0 demo looked sick!! I'm totally getting the game now

I think I'll convince my brother to build a PC and we can split the money to buy a constellation andromeda
Link Posted: 8/23/2016 10:38:02 PM EDT
[#3]
Do it.  And use this code, STAR-DT9D-WFGR, not North Polar's.  He's gotten too many referrals already.  
Link Posted: 8/23/2016 10:45:50 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Do it.  And use this code, STAR-DT9D-WFGR, not North Polar's.  He's gotten too many referrals already.  
View Quote

I need one more to get a greycat. I'm half tempted to create a new account to get it
Link Posted: 8/23/2016 10:46:40 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
I need one more to get a greycat. I'm half tempted to create a new account to get it
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Just one more and I get......the Badger repeater.  

Link Posted: 8/23/2016 11:11:24 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Your first referral netted you a Sabre.  Pretty sure you can sniff disdainfully at a little Greycat.  
Link Posted: 8/23/2016 11:22:33 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:

Your first referral netted you a Sabre.  Pretty sure you can sniff disdainfully at a little Greycat.  
View Quote

Touche.

Link Posted: 8/24/2016 2:49:39 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
View Quote

Or use this one, STAR-WVNV-B2FD    I only need 2 more for the Greycat.  After that, I don't really care.

The thing that really bugs me is the number of guys I got into the game pre-referral program.  One of them has dropped nearly $3k on the game!  If I were to get credit for all of the guys I talked into this addiction, I'd have at least a Gladius in the hanger
Link Posted: 8/24/2016 11:18:26 AM EDT
[#9]
But do these referral codes get me anything?
Link Posted: 8/24/2016 11:21:34 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
View Quote

Yep, gets you fair chunk of starting cash when the game goes live.
Link Posted: 8/24/2016 11:25:55 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Awesome!

On a side note...
1. should I go ahead and create an account with RSI to join the titular 87th, even if I don't have the game yet?
2. Which package should I get? I'm gonna spend like $1000 on this game, I can tell already. But I'm trying to decide between the Exploration Starter Pack, the UEE exploration pack, and the exploration mega pack. Any suggestions?
Link Posted: 8/24/2016 4:44:14 PM EDT
[#12]
I don't have a single paying referral yet.  
STAR-QF39-H4NP

Kharn

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 8/24/2016 4:44:59 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

Awesome!

On a side note...
1. should I go ahead and create an account with RSI to join the titular 87th, even if I don't have the game yet?
2. Which package should I get? I'm gonna spend like $1000 on this game, I can tell already. But I'm trying to decide between the Exploration Starter Pack, the UEE exploration pack, and the exploration mega pack. Any suggestions?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Awesome!

On a side note...
What are you interested in? Combat,  logistics, piracy?

Kharn

Link Posted: 8/24/2016 7:08:52 PM EDT
[#14]
Terrapin Q&A part 1: https://robertsspaceindustries.com/comm-link//15477-Anvil-Terrapin-Q-A-Part-1
Some highlights:

How does the Terrapin compare to the Freelancer DUR?

The Terrapin is tough as boots. It’s designed to be able to handle any eventuality in the dark unknown of space. From a military perspective it’s also extremely usable as a recon ship. Able to survey fleet movements and sustain a lot of direct fire if discovered, the Terrapin’s secondary use is a way to insert or rescue people from combat zones is also highly appealing.

What will the travel range be like on a Terrapin?

Very long. The Terrapin packs much bigger Hydrogen and Quantum Fuel tanks to increase its operational range. It’s designed to stay out in the verse for as long as possible.

Can the Terrapin as envisioned in the concept sale, carry any cargo? If so, how much (in SCU)?

No, there is no ‘official’ cargo capacity for the Terrapin.
I will say, though, that players can put down cargo wherever they choose, allowing salvage to be dropped in the rear if they can find the space for it, but that loose cargo and salvage will not be as safe and those inside dedicated cargo holds on other ships. Transporting loose cargo is done at a pilot’s own risk and is not recommended.

What do you envision will attach to the utility hardpoints beyond scanning devices? Mining lasers? Salvage claw? Additional weapons?

The utility mount fits equipment, rather than anything offensive, something we’re going to be seeing more of as further support and non-combat ships are revealed. The Terrapin’s Radar Dish and Scanning Array will enhance the range and capabilities of the installed Radar and Scanner, making it far more capable than one without but as utility gear is revealed, the usefulness of an armored utility platform like the Terrapin will grow.
Link Posted: 8/24/2016 7:30:04 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

Kharn

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Awesome!

On a side note...

Kharn

Probably armed transportation of cargo/personnel and lots of exploration, with a hefty bit of ground combat if I can help it. Hence why I'm looking at exploration ships and not strictly cargo/fighter types.
Link Posted: 8/24/2016 8:11:07 PM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:

I'm gonna spend like $1000 on this game, I can tell already.

Any suggestions?
View Quote
I have one.

Make sure your PC is up to snuff. No reason to spend a decent chunk on digital spaceships if you will only be getting 10fps....

Link Posted: 8/24/2016 8:17:15 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
I have one.

Make sure your PC is up to snuff. No reason to spend a decent chunk on digital spaceships if you will only be getting 10fps....  
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I'm gonna spend like $1000 on this game, I can tell already.

Any suggestions?
I have one.

FPS is capped at 30 right now anyhow due to netcode.  3.0 has the new code though.

Kinda disappointed since the terrapin was supposed to have cargo space.  The FAQ says none other than misc crap you can put in wherever it fits.
Link Posted: 8/24/2016 8:38:49 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

Probably armed transportation of cargo/personnel and lots of exploration, with a hefty bit of ground combat if I can help it. Hence why I'm looking at exploration ships and not strictly cargo/fighter types.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Awesome!

On a side note...

Kharn

What about the Constellation Aquila (buy $275 Andromeda package plus $50 Andromeda-to-Aquila upgrade)?
It's set up for exploration, it has the Ursa rover (the tank from the 3.0 demo, which costs $50 on its own) and P-52 snub fighter, 4-5 person crew, good cargo, decently armed.

Or the Exploration Starter Pack at $195, a luxury single seat fighter, a space motorcycle, and a 2-3 person exploration freighter.

I wouldn't get a Carrack until you know you're going to love the game.

But, honestly, as someone with over $1k in, I'm beginning to worry I'm in too deep and won't have a chance to use all of my ships or have anything fun left to earn when the game goes live.

Kharn
Link Posted: 8/24/2016 9:14:42 PM EDT
[#19]
Woo.  With a little luck I'll be getting a Mustang Omega since I was a retard that gave one to a buddy and CCU'd the other.  Waiting on CIG to approve it since multiple Never Settle packages make your account goofy for some reason.
Link Posted: 8/24/2016 9:21:18 PM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:
What about the Constellation Aquila (buy $275 Andromeda package plus $50 Andromeda-to-Aquila upgrade)?

It's set up for exploration, it has the Ursa rover (the tank from the 3.0 demo, which costs $50 on its own) and P-52 snub fighter, 4-5 person crew, good cargo, decently armed.

Or the Exploration Starter Pack at $195, a luxury single seat fighter, a space motorcycle, and a 2-3 person exploration freighter.

But, honestly, as someone with over $1k in, I'm beginning to worry I'm in too deep and won't have a chance to use all of my ships or have anything fun left to earn when the game goes live.

Kharn
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Awesome!

On a side note...

Kharn

Kharn

I'll be loaning out a lot of my ships to the org, or if personal rentals become a thing might do that too. I went with the Explorer mega pack, but only because I already had a Carrack, Aquila, and Freelancer DUR(package). Melted all those for the mega pack and got all 3 back plus a Terrapin, 315p, Dragonfly, and additional $15 worth of starting UEC all for an additional $130. I lost my Carrack model and poster and a couple of digital items (map, soundtrack, etc), but a very good deal overall IMO.

For someone just starting out, if you already know you will be spending that kinda money towards the game, buy the mega pack. Actually, buy the mega pack wait 24 hours, melt said pack, buy the $495 pack, wait 24 hours, melt said pack, repeat till Sunday. Make sure on Sunday you have the pack you think you want to hold on to so you don't have to waste an unmelt token. During the citizencon sale (Oct) and anniversary sale (Nov) there will be even more packs available and also some ships that are limited release. At that point you have a couple of options. You can either a)melt the mega explorer pack for another one (if you find one you like better/saves more money) or b) upgrade the ships in the mega pack you don't want to the limited release ones. The good thing about this is that since your pack has LTI, any ship within that pack that you upgrade for another will also have LTI.

If you melt a pack and 3 months later you decide you want it back, you can buy it back (unmelt) for the original price you paid for it even if that pack has increased in price in the meantime. Let me know if you have any questions.

Link Posted: 8/25/2016 7:40:50 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

Kharn
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Kharn

Yeah this is where my dilemma comes in. I want the aquila, because I feel like it will be optimal for the group size i'm gonna want to play with, but that Carrack looks sexy as hell. and the UEE pack comes with lifetime insurance.
Decisions, decisions...

I might just buy the UEE pack and then the aquila separately.
Oh well, it's not like I have to make any decisions right now. The earliest I'm going to be able to build my PC and get the game is february-ish, so 3.0 should be out by that time and I should have done enough research to formulate a well-educated decision.
Link Posted: 8/25/2016 10:39:34 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

Yeah this is where my dilemma comes in. I want the aquila, because I feel like it will be optimal for the group size i'm gonna want to play with, but that Carrack looks sexy as hell. and the UEE pack comes with lifetime insurance.
Decisions, decisions...

Oh well, it's not like I have to make any decisions right now. The earliest I'm going to be able to build my PC and get the game is february-ish, so 3.0 should be out by that time and I should have done enough research to formulate a well-educated decision.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Kharn

Decisions, decisions...

I'd personally agree that there is no rush. Keep in mind that if you buy a ship for say $100, and you see one for $200 you can upgrade the $100 one to the $200 and just pay the difference. The game as it is right now is very forgiving for buyer's remorse as there is always a way to trade down/up for something you'd want. I'd start with the cheaper option until you're positive though.
Link Posted: 8/25/2016 11:06:14 AM EDT
[#23]
When is the new patcher coming? Sucks having to download those huge patches every time there's an update.
Link Posted: 8/25/2016 11:42:20 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

I'd personally agree that there is no rush. Keep in mind that if you buy a ship for say $100, and you see one for $200 you can upgrade the $100 one to the $200 and just pay the difference. The game as it is right now is very forgiving for buyer's remorse as there is always a way to trade down/up for something you'd want. I'd start with the cheaper option until you're positive though.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Kharn

Decisions, decisions...

Thanks for that info. I'll probably take your advice and start off with a lower pack or the aquila and then upgrade later if I like what I see.
Link Posted: 8/25/2016 3:53:55 PM EDT
[#25]
Any plans on what we are going to do with the frigates we have and when?  Like most people I'd be happy doing anything even if its turning a wrench in an engine room.

Also whats the plan for rules on being in more other orgs?  I plan on having one for my irl friends.  Is that going to be a problem?
Link Posted: 8/25/2016 4:05:47 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
Any plans on what we are going to do with the frigates we have and when?  Like most people I'd be happy doing anything even if its turning a wrench in an engine room.

Also whats the plan for rules on being in more other orgs?  I plan on having one for my irl friends.  Is that going to be a problem?
View Quote

No big plans yet.  Sort of depends on content, so not a big point in planning much right now, unless it's to establish some sort of pecking order for cooperative efforts to upgrade the big ships.  But nothing substantial discussed yet.

No restrictions on associate orgs.
Link Posted: 8/25/2016 4:24:14 PM EDT
[#27]
They are chasing a frame rate bug, that's the only major thing holding the patch back.  On the same server some folks will have 4-5 fps, while others will be at the 30 max.  They dropped the 2.5.0L patch yesterday for PTU and they are hopeful to get it out soon (tm)
Link Posted: 8/25/2016 5:47:57 PM EDT
[#28]
2.5 PTU is live!  Only somewhere between 1 hr 30 min and 5 hours left to download.
Link Posted: 8/25/2016 6:02:14 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
2.5 PTU is live!  Only somewhere between 1 hr 30 min and 5 hours left to download.
View Quote

Yeah, that's the usual.  They are using a private torrent service to run patch distribution so the numbers fluctuate a lot.
Link Posted: 8/25/2016 7:27:57 PM EDT
[#30]
Important Notices:

Exit Seat is now “Hold F” on keyboard and “Hold Y” on gamepad.
This includes beds, seats and chairs.
We will be wiping the persistence database with this patch from 2.4.1 to 2.5.0. All aUEC progress and item purchases will be reset.

Full patch notes at the link.
https://robertsspaceindustries.com/comm-link//15490-Star-Citizen-Alpha-250

The Argo is up for sale for 4 days.  If anyone wants a LTI Reliant, this is the item to CCU it from.
$35 for Cargo, $40 for personnel, $70 for both.

https://robertsspaceindustries.com/comm-link/transmission/15453-Argo-MPUV
Link Posted: 8/25/2016 7:45:47 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
View Quote

12 mb/s for me. Downloaded it in 40 minutes. About to fire it up and try it out. Haven't updated since 2.3 went live.
Link Posted: 8/25/2016 8:39:39 PM EDT
[#32]
Just melted one of what I was surprised to see was three P72s in the hanger and one of the upgrade place holders I'd picked up over the years and picked up an Argo Cargo.

Hopefully, if I need to reclaim that P72 for LTI application, the unmelts will still be a thing.
Link Posted: 8/25/2016 9:02:16 PM EDT
[#33]
So I haven't updated since 2.1. They've changed the key bindings enough that I spent most of my admittedly short play session trying to figure out getting my speed up and why I couldn't get the quantum drive to fire after I had selected a destination.

Also, it ran like shit. Frame rate stuttering, locking up for a few seconds, etc. I tried using the console to turn off the motion blur and that helped a little, but I wouldn't even attempt a dog fight with how it is currently running for me.
Link Posted: 8/25/2016 9:41:27 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
So I haven't updated since 2.1. They've changed the key bindings enough that I spent most of my admittedly short play session trying to figure out getting my speed up and why I couldn't get the quantum drive to fire after I had selected a destination.

Also, it ran like shit. Frame rate stuttering, locking up for a few seconds, etc. I tried using the console to turn off the motion blur and that helped a little, but I wouldn't even attempt a dog fight with how it is currently running for me.
View Quote

I don't know if I just got lucky but three different game sessions and I was averaging between 35-40 fps, according to precision x anyway.
Link Posted: 8/25/2016 10:31:39 PM EDT
[#35]
I'll be honest, I'm kind of disappointed in the Reliant.  The main guns are just so...weak.  I love the field of view from the cockpit, but as a whole the ship feels like a solid 'meh.'
Link Posted: 8/25/2016 10:53:51 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
I'll be honest, I'm kind of disappointed in the Reliant.  The main guns are just so...weak.  I love the field of view from the cockpit, but as a whole the ship feels like a solid 'meh.'
View Quote

If anyone expected that thing to be a cannon, they get what they deserve.  One of the most fragile looking ships in the game.  I recommend upgrading engines, rear shields and escape pod before anything else.
Link Posted: 8/25/2016 11:46:24 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:

If anyone expected that thing to be a cannon, they get what they deserve.  One of the most fragile looking ships in the game.  I recommend upgrading engines, rear shields and escape pod before anything else.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I've personally never been a fan of that ship.  I just can't wrap my simple head around why the spinny mechanic is worth while for...anything.
Link Posted: 8/26/2016 12:07:54 AM EDT
[#38]
I was more curious than anything. Now that I'm 100% it's going in the melt bin.
Link Posted: 8/26/2016 12:30:19 AM EDT
[#39]
I want an Argo, but I really don't feel like spending $35 on one. It's a pretty neat little ship and reminds me of the "puddle jumper" from Stargate: Atlantis. There's nothing that came previously that I don't already have that I want to CCU to with LTI either. I want a Caterpillar but I don't want to spend $200+ more on the game.
Quoted:
I've personally never been a fan of that ship.  I just can't wrap my
simple head around why the spinny mechanic is worth while
for...anything.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I'll be honest, I'm kind of disappointed in the Reliant.  The main guns
are just so...weak.  I love the field of view from the cockpit, but as a
whole the ship feels like a solid 'meh.'

If anyone expected that thing to be a cannon, they get what they
deserve.  One of the most fragile looking ships in the game.  I
recommend upgrading engines, rear shields and escape pod before anything
else.

I've personally never been a fan of that ship.  I just can't wrap my
simple head around why the spinny mechanic is worth while
for...anything.
People like stupid gimmicks for ships. They want
vertically oriented ships, they wanted asymmetrical ships, they want
stupid looking "alien" ships. Why? I dunno. Somehow because these
pointless attributes make the ship different from a traditional and
practical design, it's instantly more betterer in their eyes.

Link Posted: 8/26/2016 12:44:25 AM EDT
[#40]
The militia one might be good we'll have to wait and see.
Link Posted: 8/26/2016 4:31:47 AM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
I want an Argo, but I really don't feel like spending $35 on one. It's a pretty neat little ship and reminds me of the "puddle jumper" from Stargate: Atlantis. There's nothing that came previously that I don't already have that I want to CCU to with LTI either. I want a Caterpillar but I don't want to spend $200+ more on the game.

People like stupid gimmicks for ships. They want vertically oriented ships, they wanted asymmetrical ships, they want stupid looking "alien" ships. Why? I dunno. Somehow because these pointless attributes make the ship different from a traditional and practical design, it's instantly more betterer in their eyes.

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I've personally never been a fan of that ship.  I just can't wrap my simple head around why the spinny mechanic is worth while for...anything.
People like stupid gimmicks for ships. They want vertically oriented ships, they wanted asymmetrical ships, they want stupid looking "alien" ships. Why? I dunno. Somehow because these pointless attributes make the ship different from a traditional and practical design, it's instantly more betterer in their eyes.

I picked up one of the Reliants when they first went up.  Don't care whether the guns are any good.  Didn't purchase it as a fighter.  It's a smallish freight hauler as far as I'm concerned.  Looks cool, has room, is different than the other ships.  No particular reason I need all of my ships to look the same or follow the same form factor.

Same reason I just melted one of the P72s I had sitting around taking up room in my hanger to purchase a Cargo Argo.  No cash outlay, I was only using the P72 as LTI-bearing CCU fodder anyway, and now I've got a nice little delivery van for local runs

I never could understand people who have whole garages/hangers/gun safes filled with nearly identical shit that you have to be an expert to tell apart.  Give me variety.  I guess that's that there individuality you hear tell about, huh?

ETA: Also, if you ever want to borrow the Cat, I can cut you a sweet fellow-guildy lease deal
Link Posted: 8/26/2016 1:15:02 PM EDT
[#42]
So what's the consensus for 2.5? Good stuff?
Link Posted: 8/26/2016 1:26:15 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:
So what's the consensus for 2.5? Good stuff?
View Quote

Since my computer is technically way under spec, I need to do a fresh boot but it runs pretty damn smoothly.  I haven't had much time to put into it though, since I've been trying to find some disk idle issues that are slowing my computer way down after an hour of surfing.
Link Posted: 8/26/2016 4:46:23 PM EDT
[#44]
Couple of things in order:

Vanguard Hoplite teaser.  I'll admit I'll probably end up with one eventually.
I know ejection seats compress your spine, but this is ridiculous...
Elite Dangerous is feeling the pressure of the 2.5 release and going after Chris directly.

Link Posted: 8/26/2016 6:39:33 PM EDT
[#45]

Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Rule of cool.

Link Posted: 8/26/2016 6:43:11 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:
Rule of cool.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Rule of cool.

Pretty much.  I had already planned on melting / CCU tokening it when I bought one.  But I figured I'd try it first.
Link Posted: 8/26/2016 8:13:07 PM EDT
[#47]
Is that hoplite like a troop transport or something?
Link Posted: 8/26/2016 9:16:15 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Isn't it a starter ship?  It seems okay for what it is.

Quoted:

https://robertsspaceindustries.com/media/yxoj1e80y686jr/source/Van_drop_a.jpg

I'm not thrilled with the current Vanguard Warden.  I'm probably going to melt the Sentinel and Harbinger BUKs I have, and I may CCU the Warden in to something else (I have an Armada Pack, so I can't melt it outright).

....I'm actually starting to lean away from the combat/mercenary focus I initially had: CCUing combat ships for cargo and exploration ships - though I'm not sure if I'll keep the Terrapin or not.
Link Posted: 8/27/2016 8:12:25 AM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:
Is that hoplite like a troop transport or something?
View Quote

Yes. It's a 4th variant of the Vanguard they made for SQ42.
Link Posted: 8/27/2016 1:09:25 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:

I'm not thrilled with the current Vanguard Warden.  I'm probably going to melt the Sentinel and Harbinger BUKs I have, and I may CCU the Warden in to something else (I have an Armada Pack, so I can't melt it outright).

....I'm actually starting to lean away from the combat/mercenary focus I initially had: CCUing combat ships for cargo and exploration ships - though I'm not sure if I'll keep the Terrapin or not.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Quoted:

https://robertsspaceindustries.com/media/yxoj1e80y686jr/source/Van_drop_a.jpg

I love the Warden, I just want to let the game settle down a bit before I really start locking in my controls and changing my ship configs, then either figure out how to really use gimbaled weapons or just lock them.  I've got all 3 variants, so it ain't going anywhere, too versatile for me.

I never intended to be combat focused, but enough of you are that I want to be able to support combat operations.  The 2 main orgs I really plan on supporting are this one and GHG, a cargo-oriented org.  Just depends on when members are active, and what aligns best with my interests and hours.

The Armada pack, with the exception of the Idris, is actually a GREAT package if you want some versatility.  Some of the ships just work as-is, the Gemini for instance...but the other ships are all well positioned price-wise to CCU into a range of industry ships.  That's certainly how I did it, and I think I have a very well-rounded fleet now that will allow me to do just about anything.
Page / 174
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top