Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 5/22/2017 12:16:01 PM EDT
Might sound silly, but what would all say is a respectable weight? Talking about seated dumbbell presses, say 6-8 reps.
Link Posted: 5/22/2017 12:50:53 PM EDT
[#1]
I have no idea what would be a respectable weight for seated dumbbell press. I can barely manage a seated barbell press of 40 lbs.
Link Posted: 5/22/2017 1:15:48 PM EDT
[#2]
bodyweight for press is pretty good imho. I can't do that much but i'm weak.
Link Posted: 5/22/2017 1:41:09 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
View Quote
So if you weigh 250lbs you should be able to press 125lb dumbbells?
Link Posted: 5/22/2017 1:45:11 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
6-8 reps of that is 'way past "respectable" in my book.
Link Posted: 5/22/2017 1:57:36 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

View Quote
Kind of what I was thinking. Most of the stronger guys I see in the gym are using between 60-100lb dumbbells for shoulder, incline, and flat presses. With the higher weight being used for flat bench.
Link Posted: 5/22/2017 2:06:00 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
Kind of what I was thinking. Most of the stronger guys I see in the gym are using between 60-100lb dumbbells for shoulder, incline, and flat presses. With the higher weight being used for flat bench.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Hell, strict shoulder pressing 60# 6-8 times is respectable IMO.  By the way, you can't equate the weight of dumbbells w/ the same weight on a barbell.  Dumbbells are harder.
Link Posted: 5/22/2017 2:11:03 PM EDT
[#7]
First of all do them standing or you're cheating yourself. Second, check out shoulder rehab workouts on BodyBuilding.com before you go too heavy, there are a few small muscles that you need to strengthen before you can handle heavy weight. Also, it will help your max bench.  Whats respectable only matters to you and only you, so log all workouts.
Link Posted: 5/22/2017 2:11:25 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

Hell, strict shoulder pressing 60# 6-8 times is respectable IMO.  By the way, you can't equate the weight of dumbbells w/ the same weight on a barbell.  Dumbbells are harder.
View Quote
Again, kind of what I was thinking. Using dumbbells engages all those secondary muscles, true?
Link Posted: 5/22/2017 2:16:19 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
First of all do them standing or you're cheating yourself. Second, check out shoulder rehab workouts on BodyBuilding.com before you go too heavy, there are a few small muscles that you need to strengthen before you can handle heavy weight. Also, it will help your max bench.  Whats respectable only matters to you and only you, so log all workouts.
View Quote
How so? I would think sitting with your back against the seat would help keep proper form. Maybe I'm wrong.
Link Posted: 5/22/2017 2:22:52 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Yeah but that's an experienced opinion based on reality dude, this is GD.
On a forum where the average height is 6ft4, the average bench 350 for 10 without even a belt, and all their $80,000 vehicles were paid off in cash?
A mere 200lb overhead press of any sort is quite simply pedestrian.

I have a ton of shitty lifts and I'm a shitty athlete, but it's my favorite lift.
250lbs for 2 is my best
(I'm 225)
Standing overhead

That lift is hard, and easy to hurt yourself on imho.
for me, 90s are spicy on that lift.

125lb dumbells, 6 to 8 reps? That would be a wild thing to see.
Unheard of no, but heck the "would captian back-achne over there pass a piss test? What supplement do you think he's taking to get his skin all nice and thin like that" question(s) would float around.

Quoted:
100% This, IMHO.  Be real fuckin warmed up before you start going heavy on shoulder sets.
Stretch out your core a bit too, you'll need those to work when the heavy stuff gets over your head.
Since doing that I haven't had major or minor "gym ouchie" from my favorite lift.
As much as I enjoy going heavy, the lift seems to reward good form and activation of all the muscles, as well as volume of training - more than chasing a number.
I say that as someone who did chase numbers.
Link Posted: 5/22/2017 2:23:44 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
How so? I would think sitting with your back against the seat would help keep proper form. Maybe I'm wrong.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Standing is more difficult because you don't have a stable surface bracing you.  When standing, you make your own brace using your core, your glutes, your upper back muscles.  That makes it generally more beneficial.  But sitting is also sometimes good because you can load on more weight and put a little more pressure on your shoulders.

You can also sit on the floor and press, which is even more difficult.  But that's an entirely different thing.
Link Posted: 5/22/2017 2:34:13 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

Standing is more difficult because you don't have a stable surface bracing you.  When standing, you make your own brace using your core, your glutes, your upper back muscles.  That makes it generally more beneficial.  But sitting is also sometimes good because you can load on more weight and put a little more pressure on your shoulders.

You can also sit on the floor and press, which is even more difficult.  But that's an entirely different thing.
View Quote
Makes sense.
Link Posted: 5/22/2017 3:28:34 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Again, kind of what I was thinking. Using dumbbells engages all those secondary muscles, true?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Not necessarily on a strict dumbbell press.  I agree that dumbbell presses are harder than with a barbell, but they still don't always target the entire deltoid.

Try an Arnold press instead.  If done properly, they will engage all three heads of the delts.
Link Posted: 5/22/2017 3:34:39 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
Not necessarily on a strict dumbbell press.  I agree that dumbbell presses are harder than with a barbell, but they still don't always target the entire deltoid.

Try an Arnold press instead.  If done properly, they will engage all three heads of the delts.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I second that.  Arnold presses are the only DB presses I do.  I like to do them standing.  With a tank top.
Link Posted: 5/22/2017 6:29:55 PM EDT
[#15]
Today's workout routine, I'm training a friend of mine. We do the same routine but he does lighter weight. Started with back, I won't explain that since we're talking shoulders which I followed up with after. Three sets of Arnold presses seated, 35, 55 and then 65 lbs. dumbells, three sets of barbell raises on an incline bench, 50, 70 and then 90 lbs. side deltoid barbell raise each shoulder independently. 40, 30, 25 and then 20 lbs. Rear deltoids on the pec deck machine, alternating with rope pulls for the final sets.
Link Posted: 5/22/2017 7:00:02 PM EDT
[#16]
Today for me was chest/shoulders/traps. Be gentle, I've only been lifting for a few months. All were 3 sets 6-8 reps per set:

Bench 135 155 155
ISO incline press 90 each arm(one of those machines you can do chest on one side and lat pull downs on the other)
Incline dumbbell press 50 60 65
ISO shoulder press 140(its at an incline but I lay against the seat with my stomach instead of my back. Doesn't hurt my shoulders that way)
Seated dumbbell press 55
Front raises with a 25lb weight but go all the way up to hit my lower traps as well
Shrugs on smith machine 185
Dumbbell shrugs 65
Pulldowns 120
Link Posted: 5/22/2017 8:00:08 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Using dumbbells doesn't fix your wrists into a single position, so it's easier on the elbows and shoulders when they can move naturally as your press.

As far as weight, no idea. If you can BB press your body weight I would say you are doing just fine.

I can't OHP my bodyweight, hopefully some day.
Link Posted: 5/22/2017 8:01:43 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

View Quote
I wish I could do them standing, the ceilings in the basement are too low.

I do them seated on the flat bench, unracking is annoying like that.
Link Posted: 5/23/2017 11:10:41 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

I wish I could do them standing, the ceilings in the basement are too low.

I do them seated on the flat bench, unracking is annoying like that.
View Quote
Since its an O/H press and you likely wont be going above 200 I have a suggestion.  I purchased a cheap 1" bar to go along with my 1" plates which I leave outside on a platform I made.  This way I can practice my clean&jerk  with lighter weight (focusing on form) and simply transition to OH press.  The best part is when you go for max reps you can simply throw the bar down.
Link Posted: 5/23/2017 11:16:22 AM EDT
[#20]
Link Posted: 5/23/2017 11:17:56 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
Today for me was chest/shoulders/traps. Be gentle, I've only been lifting for a few months. All were 3 sets 6-8 reps per set:

Bench 135 155 155
ISO incline press 90 each arm(one of those machines you can do chest on one side and lat pull downs on the other)
Incline dumbbell press 50 60 65
ISO shoulder press 140(its at an incline but I lay against the seat with my stomach instead of my back. Doesn't hurt my shoulders that way)
Seated dumbbell press 55
Front raises with a 25lb weight but go all the way up to hit my lower traps as well
Shrugs on smith machine 185
Dumbbell shrugs 65
Pulldowns 120
View Quote
How do you like shrugs on the smith machine?

I've been using a hex bar for them and enjoy it over a straight bar.

Also, don't worry about your lift numbers, we have all been there, keep progressing!
Link Posted: 5/23/2017 12:13:36 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
How do you like shrugs on the smith machine?

I've been using a hex bar for them and enjoy it over a straight bar.

Also, don't worry about your lift numbers, we have all been there, keep progressing!
View Quote
I like them. I've been looking at the videos from athlean-x on YouTube. He posts some really good stuff.
Link Posted: 5/24/2017 7:25:21 AM EDT
[#23]
Yesterday, I pressed (standing, strict overhead press with a barbell) 200 x 7, which ties a PR.  BW = 200.  I finished with a set of 155 x 17 which is a 3 rep PR.

I seriously doubt I could press 7 reps with 100# dumbbells.  I'm not sure I could even get 1 rep with DBs.  The closest I own are 95# dumbbells so I will try it in the near future.  Getting the DBs into the rack position would be difficult.  

I've done 70# DB presses for 3 x 10 at a hotel before, with the last set for 12 AMRAP.  Getting close to a 75# DB press for 17 reps seems like an outside chance, if I am really fresh.  I own 75# dumbbells but not 80#.  I'll give this a try in the near future too, just to experiment.
Link Posted: 5/24/2017 7:53:52 AM EDT
[#24]
Scrolling through YouTube yesterday I ran across a video of James Harrison lifting. He was doing standing presses with 95-100lb dumbbells. If I can get up to seated presses with 75lb I think I'm doing alright
Link Posted: 5/24/2017 10:21:49 AM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
Scrolling through YouTube yesterday I ran across a video of James Harrison lifting. He was doing standing presses with 95-100lb dumbbells. If I can get up to seated presses with 75lb I think I'm doing alright
View Quote
There's a video of him grabbing 135 on a longass bar, and I think he did like 10 reps - like with his left hand
Link Posted: 5/24/2017 10:23:52 AM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

There's a video of him grabbing 135 on a longass bar, and I think he did like 10 reps - like with his left hand
View Quote
Yeah dude is a beast.
Link Posted: 5/31/2017 9:54:57 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
Makes sense.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Makes sense.
I do them standing on one leg. Serious try it builds a ton of
Little muscles all the way to your toes. Note: I am performance training not body building
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top