BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 35
Link Posted: 5/10/2016 3:29:16 PM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
That and going too low on his chest with the bar.

Basically he is using chest to start then switching to shoulders to finish.
View Quote

yep! That was just below nipples, gonna raise it up higher. I bet that will help alot.
Link Posted: 5/10/2016 3:49:44 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:

View Quote

I don't think we can say he is hitting too low, he very well may be though. At the bottom his forearms should be sticking out of the ground like flagpoles. The camera angle doesn't let us see if this is the case or not. If you try to hit higher on your chest than you should you can create other issues. Such as flaring the elbows at the bottom or the hands will be over the biceps(weak) rather than over the elbows(strong). You should row the bar into a strong position.

The reason I think his triceps are the weak point is because he is flaring the elbows so early to get his shoulders involved. The press should be initiated with triceps and some pecs. If you want to keep the triceps involved, keep the elbows in the tucked position. Completely unscrewing at the bottom is the big issue I am seeing. And truthfully, I think we need more video from after Solace's shoulder feels better and at light weight. Judging form off one's heaviest sets when fatigue is setting in is kind of like tilting with windmills or whatever. For instance, the first set had much more core tightness and less movement in the body below the chest. The second set had a fair amount of instability that I would normally be hopping on him about. This instability also taxes the shoulders since they must stabilize the weight.

I think the video I linked really does a good job showing a few different variations of good form. Here is another video, this is Alan Thrall on bar path. Hits many good points.

Link Posted: 5/10/2016 3:53:17 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:

yep! That was just below nipples, gonna raise it up higher. I bet that will help alot.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I would watch the other video I posted from Alan Thrall before you decide to hit higher. None of the examples I have provided show anyone touching the bar on their nipples. For me the bar hits under the pec completely. Hitting too high will cause issues.
Link Posted: 5/10/2016 4:04:29 PM EDT
[#4]
Okay, I have a minute to reply.
I mimicked thrall on the chest spot, it may or may not be right for me. I think it will be okay to experiment in incriments with it.
We all agree, Im flaring out too much.
If I go do a side shot real quick low weight to check bar path would that help you guys?
Link Posted: 5/10/2016 4:09:04 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

I don't think we can say he is hitting too low, he very well may be though. At the bottom his forearms should be sticking out of the ground like flagpoles. The camera angle doesn't let us see if this is the case or not. If you try to hit higher on your chest than you should you can create other issues. Such as flaring the elbows at the bottom or the hands will be over the biceps(weak) rather than over the elbows(strong). You should row the bar into a strong position.

The reason I think his triceps are the weak point is because he is flaring the elbows so early to get his shoulders involved. The press should be initiated with triceps and some pecs. If you want to keep the triceps involved, keep the elbows in the tucked position. Completely unscrewing at the bottom is the big issue I am seeing. And truthfully, I think we need more video from after Solace's shoulder feels better and at light weight. Judging form off one's heaviest sets when fatigue is setting in is kind of like tilting with windmills or whatever. For instance, the first set had much more core tightness and less movement in the body below the chest. The second set had a fair amount of instability that I would normally be hopping on him about. This instability also taxes the shoulders since they must stabilize the weight.

I think the video I linked really does a good job showing a few different variations of good form. Here is another video, this is Alan Thrall on bar path. Hits many good points.

http://youtu.be/wKhI-O4HI8M
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

http://youtu.be/wKhI-O4HI8M

I love that video. That's what I used to entirely change my bench press form.
Link Posted: 5/10/2016 4:09:24 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
I mimicked thrall on the chest spot, it may or may not be right for me. I think it will be okay to experiment in incriments with it.
If I go do a side shot real quick low weight to check bar path would that help you guys?
View Quote

Is your shoulder going to hurt?
Link Posted: 5/10/2016 4:15:36 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Meh, it'll be okay. I'll throw 15 on each side or something.
Link Posted: 5/10/2016 4:26:13 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Ok, keep it light. Less weight on the bar the better. So we can see more. Also, maybe throw your belt on. Keep you core stable and locked in. That way you can focus just on the press and take your shoulders out of it as much as possible.
Link Posted: 5/10/2016 4:38:30 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

Ok, keep it light. Less weight on the bar the better. So we can see more. Also, maybe throw your belt on. Keep you core stable and locked in. That way you can focus just on the press and take your shoulders out of it as much as possible.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Okay, I'll see what I can do. Here in a bit.
Link Posted: 5/10/2016 4:48:17 PM EDT
[#10]
Ha! Just found this one on my phone from the other day.
Link Posted: 5/10/2016 4:51:57 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I'll keep an eye out. I'm about to shut it down for the evening but will check on my phone. I am benching tonight too, trying to get in the zone. I haven't benched heavy in over a month I think. Focused on increasing my squat and kept pulling deads near my max for the last 4 or 6 weeks. So I am mentally a little burnt out on those. So I fine tuned my bench form last night a bit. Not sure if I want to go for doubles and triples at 3 plates or make a run of singles past that. Less than 4 hours to figure it out... haha.
Link Posted: 5/10/2016 5:01:15 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

It looked lower than that. Just blow nipples is right.
Link Posted: 5/10/2016 5:07:03 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I know it looks low when I watch too, I promise it's not. I hit the same place every single time.
Link Posted: 5/10/2016 5:08:15 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Only one way to be sure, pop off your shirt and shoot some video.
Link Posted: 5/10/2016 5:13:29 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Now you're talking.
Link Posted: 5/10/2016 5:17:05 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I didnt think this thread would come to this...

Link Posted: 5/10/2016 5:17:34 PM EDT
[#17]
seriously, see the side view I posted above?
Link Posted: 5/10/2016 5:32:25 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
seriously, see the side view I posted above?
View Quote

So you aren't going to re-film topless? haha

Overall, I think it isn't bad. Really. One thing I would really like to see is more bar control. The bar has some extra movement and that is hard on the shoulders. You lost some core tightness towards the end. I think your top and bottom points are pretty good, the plate was blocking at the bottom a bit though. I would practice at lower weight control the bar and focus on 1) row the bar into your body 2) pause 3) press. The descent on your press seemed a little rushed and the transition to the press was kind of hasty. Don't go too slow, that'll jack it up too. haha.
Link Posted: 5/11/2016 8:38:18 AM EDT
[#19]
Totally off topic from bench. I've had a ton of problems with my knees lately. They pop when bending at the knee, like someone's knuckles do but when I'm standing and say walking at the store then stand in line they get tight like it needs to pop. If I turn my knees a certain way or sometimes just walking normally will make them pop very loud. It did this last night and I've been hurting ever since. I can barely walk right now on it. This has never happened before.

I feel like I've got no cartilage in there anymore. It hurts to straighten my leg, but if I bend it 90 there is a soft spot that feels very bruised in there. I'm not blaming squats or deads or anything in fact sometimes it helps the pain. I've been considering knee sleeves to help with this or do you think it would make a difference.
I swear I'll be 35 this month and I'm falling apart.

Pretty sure it's an enflamed patellar tendon.
Link Posted: 5/11/2016 10:10:13 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
Totally off topic from bench. I've had a ton of problems with my knees lately. They pop when bending at the knee, like someone's knuckles do but when I'm standing and say walking at the store then stand in line they get tight like it needs to pop. If I turn my knees a certain way or sometimes just walking normally will make them pop very loud. It did this last night and I've been hurting ever since. I can barely walk right now on it. This has never happened before.

I feel like I've got no cartilage in there anymore. It hurts to straighten my leg, but if I bend it 90 there is a soft spot that feels very bruised in there. I'm not blaming squats or deads or anything in fact sometimes it helps the pain. I've been considering knee sleeves to help with this or do you think it would make a difference.

View Quote

Yes the sleeves help. Get good ones.

People say that fish oil helps. I've been using it and I pop less.
Link Posted: 5/11/2016 10:28:30 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I was looking at Rehband, heard they were good. Ive eyeballed fish oil, may pick some up.
This is like a bone snap sound, its getting worse too. I can at least walk now. gonna try and push through it, doubt I workout today. May as well let the shoulder heal and the knee.
Down to 1 kiddo today so gotta make the best of my time. thanks for your help.
Link Posted: 5/11/2016 10:39:40 AM EDT
[#22]
I found your squat form check video from about a month ago(not sure if you have a newer one, its the one with your youtube channel intro and whatnot). You had noticed then you were fighting with your knees to keep the proper track. How is that coming? As you know, if your knees aren't tracking correctly it'll make them hurt and can lead to problems. Maybe do some hip mobility and strengthening stuff.

I have started using knee sleeves with the "protect yourself before you wreck yourself" mentality. I like the support they offer, but if you have an actual issue and you are using the sleeves to mask the pain you may just cause yourself a real injury. Pain is typically your body's way of trying to get your attention that you are doing something it doesn't like. So it is best to figure out and fix the cause of the issue rather than treating the symptoms and letting the problem get worse.

With that said, sometimes we do just get sore and need to let out bodies recover.
Link Posted: 5/11/2016 11:44:48 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
I found your squat form check video from about a month ago(not sure if you have a newer one, its the one with your youtube channel intro and whatnot). You had noticed then you were fighting with your knees to keep the proper track. How is that coming? As you know, if your knees aren't tracking correctly it'll make them hurt and can lead to problems. Maybe do some hip mobility and strengthening stuff.

I have started using knee sleeves with the "protect yourself before you wreck yourself" mentality. I like the support they offer, but if you have an actual issue and you are using the sleeves to mask the pain you may just cause yourself a real injury. Pain is typically your body's way of trying to get your attention that you are doing something it doesn't like. So it is best to figure out and fix the cause of the issue rather than treating the symptoms and letting the problem get worse.

With that said, sometimes we do just get sore and need to let out bodies recover.
View Quote

I think squat form is good, i havent double checked knee tracking but ive slowed down just a bit on squats trying to focus on bench a bit. this knee stuff is kind of a seperate issue altogether and I'm just thinking I could keep squats and deads from effecting it too much. It's kind of like that hangup in your neck you get and you just have to pop it. And the more you do it the more you have to do it. I've never had it act this bad though, I was fine until I had to run my daughter to her mother's house and it popped real hard and it sucked since then.

Link Posted: 5/12/2016 12:59:37 PM EDT
[#24]
Experimenting with fitocracy app. I can build my own routines, similar to SL.
I want to keep all my SL stuff but like I tried before would like to add some stuff to target some weak areas.
Spcifically, chest, shoulders, arms and back.
You guys mentioned barbell bench, barbell flys, incline bench, pushups and dips. Anything else I should consider?
Shrugs? I wish I could do pulldowns, I really liked those...

Shoulder and knee feel good today, should be ready to rock tomorrow.
Link Posted: 5/12/2016 1:10:04 PM EDT
[#25]
Did you cancel your membership at the gym since you got your equipment at home?
Link Posted: 5/12/2016 1:28:23 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
Did you cancel your membership at the gym since you got your equipment at home?
View Quote

No, but probably won't be getting back there.
Wife just started her nurse prac program so I have even less time than before.

Edit: I have a lat pulldown section that went to an old workout bench that I threw out. (It was rusted and the seat rotted) it's just square tubing handle on one end and a place to add weight on the other. Just can't figure out how I could set it up...
Link Posted: 5/12/2016 2:03:19 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
I want to keep all my SL stuff but like I tried before would like to add some stuff to target some weak areas.
You guys mentioned barbell bench, barbell flys, incline bench, pushups and dips. Anything else I should consider?

View Quote

I think for accessories you meant dumbbell instead of barbell. And yes those are all good. Other than the rack and barbell what stuff do you have at home? Bent over rows, either barbell or dumbbell, are great for the back. You can do a variety of deltoid raises and over head press motions for the shoulders, don't forget about Arnold presses. You can try pullovers.
Link Posted: 5/12/2016 2:58:42 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

I think for accessories you meant dumbbell instead of barbell. And yes those are all good. Other than the rack and barbell what stuff do you have at home? Bent over rows, either barbell or dumbbell, are great for the back. You can do a variety of deltoid raises and over head press motions for the shoulders, don't forget about Arnold presses. You can try pullovers.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Yeah I did whoops, typing on phone and not paying attention. I have a pair of 25 lbs dumbells and another that takes plates. Not sure what size plates I have but I'm sure enough to get some work in with.
I'll check out the link.
Link Posted: 5/12/2016 3:42:09 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

Yeah I did whoops, typing on phone and not paying attention. I have a pair of 25 lbs dumbells and another that takes plates. Not sure what size plates I have but I'm sure enough to get some work in with.
I'll check out the link.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I'll check out the link.

Right on. That'll get you started. I need to get this set for home.
Link Posted: 5/12/2016 4:56:38 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I'll check out the link.

Nice, but a case of ammo weighs about the same for the same price.

Link Posted: 5/13/2016 5:04:32 PM EDT
[#31]
good workout today. Not alot to report.

here is a video for close grip bench. I upped the weight a tad, its not super heavy since its an aux workout I added recently but maybe you guys can get an idea of bar path from it.
I tried something new on driving shoulders into the bench and getting that arch. Felt okay, not bad. I tried to make sure the elbows were staying in some. Ill bust out the gopro next time and do a ceiling shot and see that part better.

now lets talk more about aux exercises. Should I add them to SL 3 days a week or throw them in one day on the weekend?
My SL workouts are getting longer and longer to complete so adding them onto those days might be iffy.
Tagging them onto the weekend might not be enough to be effective.
If I removed some of the Aux off SL itself and subbed in some of the others i might be able to squeeze it all in. What do you guys think?
Link Posted: 5/13/2016 6:18:49 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

here is a video for close grip bench. I upped the weight a tad, its not super heavy since its an aux workout I added recently but maybe you guys can get an idea of bar path from it.
I tried something new on driving shoulders into the bench and getting that arch. Felt okay, not bad. I tried to make sure the elbows were staying in some. Ill bust out the gopro next time and do a ceiling shot and see that part better.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z_1NPjEsHG0

now lets talk more about aux exercises. Should I add them to SL 3 days a week or throw them in one day on the weekend?
My SL workouts are getting longer and longer to complete so adding them onto those days might be iffy.
If I removed some of the Aux off SL itself and subbed in some of the others i might be able to squeeze it all in. What do you guys think?
View Quote

That looks way better. Stop looking at the bar though. It's down there I promise.
Link Posted: 5/13/2016 7:21:42 PM EDT
[#33]
Looking good! Next thing to work on is stability / core tightness. You have a fair amount of wobble which ends up taxing the shoulders. But seriously, looking good.
Link Posted: 5/13/2016 9:38:52 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
Looking good! Next thing to work on is stability / core tightness. You have a fair amount of wobble which ends up taxing the shoulders. But seriously, looking good.
View Quote

Agree. I wasn't feeling centered on the bench it made alot of wobble happen. Part if me thinks I should work on just holding the weighted bar in place some
Glad it looks better. Kinda looking forward to trying bench wed.
Link Posted: 5/16/2016 8:37:06 AM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

View Quote

I shot this for you last Friday so we can compare bar paths, setups and what not.  This was my top set @ 195 and was hoping to hit around 8...PR'd at 10

Couple things I noticed about myself (never shot a full side view bench before)...
-didn't realize my feet were THAT far back
-or that far splayed out
-either my back arch is wicked...or my belly is just that big

For you, Solace, I think you could raise your bar hooks up a notch...unracking shouldn't involve that much of an elbow bend, it will tax you when you get heavier.
Link Posted: 5/16/2016 11:52:55 AM EDT
[#36]
Welp, guess I messed the shoulder up again.
I was working on keeping those elbows nice and tight but somethings off today and I've just felt a bit light headed all day. SL had me at 125, it felt heavy which is strange. Went for 2nd set heard a grind and pop in that shoulder and i stopped. I gate this because it's hurting my progress because I'm having to repair a shoulder and I'm not getting any reps in.
I'm going to try one more set with less weight and see what I get.

95lbs lol it still hurt but not bad, I may just need to practice this elbows "tucked" a bit.

Edit edit, worked up from 95lbs back to 125. Shoulder meh doesn't feel great but got my 3rd set. I can't be sure but I wonder if I had the wrong weights on there or something.
Trying to keep core tight, helps a ton. Lets go for it.
Link Posted: 5/16/2016 12:05:58 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:

I shot this for you last Friday so we can compare bar paths, setups and what not.  This was my top set @ 195 and was hoping to hit around 8...PR'd at 10
http://youtu.be/5Hi28VPDAI8

Couple things I noticed about myself (never shot a full side view bench before)...
-or that far splayed out

For you, Solace, I think you could raise your bar hooks up a notch...unracking shouldn't involve that much of an elbow bend, it will tax you when you get heavier.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

http://youtu.be/5Hi28VPDAI8

-or that far splayed out

Thanks a ton for the video. I messed with hook placement, I had it low incase I couldn't get a rep I could still possibly rack it. The hooks have a crazy lip on them and it's hard to get on there sometimes. I raised it one though and it feels good unracking. I'll have to remember it's not as low and not drop weight on my face though lol
Link Posted: 5/16/2016 12:06:41 PM EDT
[#38]
I notice my shoulders are way up at the top position could this be half my problem?
Link Posted: 5/16/2016 12:18:48 PM EDT
[#39]
Got through it at work weight, I think the chain clicked on the last set and I figured it out. Time will tell. Shoulder hurts but whatever.
Link Posted: 5/16/2016 12:53:16 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
I notice my shoulders are way up at the top position could this be half my problem?
View Quote

Yes.
Link Posted: 5/16/2016 5:27:19 PM EDT
[#41]
If you watch my path and compare it to yours i see the difference as mine is closer to the green path, and yours is more like the red path.

The red path tends to jack shoulders up, because the more the bar stays distal to the shoulder on the way up, the longer the moment arm gets.

Watch my last rep...as I fatigue the bar drifts distal and I have to struggle to get it back inline.
Link Posted: 5/16/2016 6:01:28 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
If you watch my path and compare it to yours i see the difference as mine is closer to the green path, and yours is more like the red path.

http://strengtheory.com/wp-content/uploads/2016/03/12873406_10153480941573779_1677012379_o-2.jpg

The red path tends to jack shoulders up, because the more the bar stays distal to the shoulder on the way up, the longer the moment arm gets.

Watch my last rep...as I fatigue the bar drifts distal and I have to struggle to get it back inline.
View Quote

I think you are exactly right. I think I am going to tinker with a touch higher on my chest. I feel like I might be going a tad too low and having to use shoulders to pull it back to me.
I may drop weight real big on bench and focus on form with a challenging weight and get it down. Im just hurting myself trying to press it wrong.
Link Posted: 5/16/2016 6:51:12 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:

http://strengtheory.com/wp-content/uploads/2016/03/12873406_10153480941573779_1677012379_o-2.jpg

View Quote

Yours looked better than that before you got tired.
Link Posted: 5/17/2016 5:52:20 PM EDT
[#44]
Here is my video. I lost focus on 3rd rep and really fucked it up.

Link Posted: 5/17/2016 6:32:30 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:

https://youtu.be/zlmo0uV64eI
View Quote

nice. more protein next time.
Link Posted: 5/17/2016 6:37:27 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

For sure.

I would have easily had 4 if not for that. I did 240 after that.
Link Posted: 5/17/2016 7:09:18 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:

For sure.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

For sure.

Nice.
Can't wait to get past my BP hangup. Very frustrating.
Link Posted: 5/18/2016 2:32:22 PM EDT
[#48]
Ive been messing with this Fitocracy app, it has been a complete pain but It makes it easy to build a routine (sort of).
What I came up with was 6 exercises to help target weak points and maybe supplement some gains, while continuing Stronglifts.

Arnold Press
Concentration Curl
One arm dumbell row

Incline dumbbell bench press
Hammer Curl
lying tricep extension (skullcrusher)

I was thinking I could put split these up between other days or throw them in on the weekend.
List look good or no?

oh, shoulder is still hurting, skip bench and do whatever else or just rest?
Link Posted: 5/19/2016 10:45:38 AM EDT
[#49]
good vid.

Link Posted: 5/19/2016 7:10:57 PM EDT
[#50]
Eyeballing Smolov for bench press.

Did a "homebrew" workout today using an app called JEFIT. It went really smooth and felt good. Planning on doing this on tues and thursday's.

dumbell lat raise
dumbell upright row
dumbell hammer curl
barbell shrug
bent over two arm row
skullcrushers
dumbell fly
one arm row
wide arm pull ups.
3x8 on everything.
Page / 35
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top