Page / 35
Link Posted: 4/16/2016 9:09:41 PM EDT
[#1]
Looks good!
Link Posted: 4/16/2016 10:46:10 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

4. The bar knurling sticks to my shirt during squats, not sure about it.
Get this though, arms did not fall asleep once. My only guess is the gym bars are all bent and somehow that is causing it. /shrug.
View Quote

I like the bar grabbing at me.  I go looking for the bar with the most aggressive knurling for squats.  Some guys do them shirtless with chalk on the shoulders and a smooth bar.

Nice rack, similar to the one I got.  I really prefer the half rack.  Actually I'd prefer stands, but for the sake of the kids I got the half rack and they've had to use the arms quite a bit, so it's been a good thing.

Link Posted: 4/17/2016 6:55:18 AM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:

I like the bar grabbing at me.  I go looking for the bar with the most aggressive knurling for squats.  Some guys do them shirtless with chalk on the shoulders and a smooth bar.

Nice rack, similar to the one I got.  I really prefer the half rack.  Actually I'd prefer stands, but for the sake of the kids I got the half rack and they've had to use the arms quite a bit, so it's been a good thing.

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

4. The bar knurling sticks to my shirt during squats, not sure about it.
Get this though, arms did not fall asleep once. My only guess is the gym bars are all bent and somehow that is causing it. /shrug.

It doesn't feel aggressive at all to my hands, actually smooth. It liked that particular shirt though. It feels real sturdy which was surprising. I figured it would have some wobble to it maybe.
Link Posted: 4/17/2016 6:57:38 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
Looks good!
View Quote

Thanks. I'll have another pic or two today, I moved it to another spot. It breaks down really fast by taking that lower center section out. Going to get a deadlift area setup and figure out about ohp.
I've got surround sound to setup and I'm going to make an area for protein shakes and supplements to go and free up some kitchen space.
Link Posted: 4/17/2016 7:55:35 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

Thanks. I'll have another pic or two today, I moved it to another spot. It breaks down really fast by taking that lower center section out. Going to get a deadlift area setup and figure out about ohp.
I've got surround sound to setup and I'm going to make an area for protein shakes and supplements to go and free up some kitchen space.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Looks good!

Awesome. My stuff is in my single car garage. I have mats set up in a 6x12 space. So I'm constantly scooting my rack around depending on the lift. I'm thinking about adding a 4 foot wide piece of plywood to make more of a dedicated deadlift platform spot. I have some spring cleaning stuff to do in the garage though. I'd like a mini fridge/supp station. I also need to get a proper speaker set up. Right now I'm just using a small single speaker portable Bose that my MIL gave my wife. It has no balls.

I also need to modify my rack to add pins in the base for bands. And then get the 200lb adjustable dumbbell set from Titan fitness. So much too buy and do. Haha
Link Posted: 4/17/2016 7:57:30 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

Awesome. My stuff is in my single car garage. I have mats set up in a 6x12 space. So I'm constantly scooting my rack around depending on the lift. I'm thinking about adding a 4 foot wide piece of plywood to make more of a dedicated deadlift platform spot. I have some spring cleaning stuff to do in the garage though. I'd like a mini fridge/supp station. I also need to get a proper speaker set up. Right now I'm just using a small single speaker portable Bose that my MIL gave my wife. It has no balls.

I also need to modify my rack to add pins in the base for bands. And then get the 200lb adjustable dumbbell set from Titan fitness. So much too buy and do. Haha
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Looks good!

Yeah it never ends. The rest of the basement is literally just full. Some of its going out the door today. Hope to get my drums setup too.
Link Posted: 4/17/2016 8:14:36 AM EDT
[#7]
Luckily I have my guitar stuff set up in the guest room. Albeit I kind of down sized and got rid of my halfstack quite awhile ago. Still have enough amplification to kill the rest of my hearing if I so decide to. Haha.

Oh, don't forget to get some chalk if you haven't picked any up yet. It's pretty motivating walking up to the bar for some heavy deadlifts in a big cloud of chalk.
Link Posted: 4/17/2016 11:45:15 AM EDT
[#8]
I got alot done today and hope to get a few more things done.
Dad needs his car fixed (blower motor out again), wife wants to get a few things done outside for the girls so they can play. I still need to finish wiring up some speakers and pick up the rest of my mess.
Lots of good stuff coming in the mail tomorrow, creatine and stuff like that. But we have 3 dr appointments in one day tomorrow.
On top of all that I've lost my voice and daughter #2 has a similar problem. (Allergies).
Oh, looks like ohp will work out okay afterall.
Link Posted: 4/18/2016 4:07:05 PM EDT
[#9]
Uber fast update, muscle pharm orange pineapple whatever preworkout tastes freaking awesome. Like pincacolada without the coconut. Instant kick in tingles too. Really like it.
Gonna go back flip down the driveway and get daughter off bus now...
Link Posted: 4/18/2016 8:11:33 PM EDT
[#10]
Home gym is best gym. Totally digging this setup.
Back to 200 on squat, under parallel, no probs.
Surround sound is making it awesome too.
Link Posted: 4/19/2016 2:25:15 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Uber fast update, muscle pharm orange pineapple whatever preworkout tastes freaking awesome. Like pincacolada without the coconut. Instant kick in tingles too. Really like it.
View Quote

vid or didn't happen
Link Posted: 4/19/2016 3:09:46 PM EDT
[#12]
Here is a pic, just need to add a "look here stupid" sign to the bottom so I won't forget during squats. you can see the ceiling as to what I was working with. Surround sound is awesome, still have a few speakers I'd like to hook up. Gotta get my supplement shelf setup too and my drums! Not enough time in the day...
Bench press tomorrow, gonna test that bench I have and make up my mind one way or another on it.
Flavorless creatine and bcaa's may have been a mistake.
Link Posted: 4/19/2016 3:14:41 PM EDT
[#13]
Mix your BCAAs with some of the preworkout and drink it while you workout. I sometimes like to drink preworkout while working out. Keep the energy pegged. haha. Then toss the creatine in with your postworkout shake.Or just chug it. Whatever.
Link Posted: 4/19/2016 3:20:07 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
Mix your BCAAs with some of the preworkout and drink it while you workout. I sometimes like to drink preworkout while working out. Keep the energy pegged. haha. Then toss the creatine in with your postworkout shake.Or just chug it. Whatever.
View Quote

Yep. Basically what I'm trying to do. Working on several scoops of creatine for a few days to get going.
Link Posted: 4/19/2016 6:26:52 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

vid or didn't happen
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

vid or didn't happen

Link Posted: 4/20/2016 12:01:22 PM EDT
[#16]
Came across this article and thought you might find it interesting.

Article

It talks about linear progress, its limitations, how to push through that, etc. I thought it was a good read.
Link Posted: 4/20/2016 1:56:39 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
Came across this article and thought you might find it interesting.

Article

It talks about linear progress, its limitations, how to push through that, etc. I thought it was a good read.
View Quote

This makes absolute sense to me.
Week 1:  5 x 3 @ 200lbs
Week 2:  5 x 4 @ 200lbs
Week 3:  5 x 5 @ 200lbs
Week 4:  5 x 3 @ 210lbs
Week 5:  5 x 4 @ 210lbs
Week 6:  5 x 5 @ 210lbs

"This means using a certain weight longer, taking more time to stimulate all the gains you can with a certain weight before adding more and more."

this is more or less what I was trying to convey when I was talking about this deload. Spend some time in a weight range that is a challenge and really ensure I get all the muscle gains from that weight range. I wanted to get form down, low as possible to maximize exposure and allow for muscle growth to take hold that way the deck was stacked to my favor, I could get all the prior gains, the form practice with all the CNS. The only thing different I was adding was some isolation stuff to double saturate those muscle groups.

I did the same thing in drumming, lets say I wanted to do 6 bars of 16th note double kick @ 160bpm but I could only get 1 bar cleanly.
I would turn it down to 155 bpm and see if I could get 6 bars, if so I would set it to 158 and go for 6 bars, if I got 3 then I would do 2 sets of 3 until I could do 4 bars then add 2 then 5 bars and add 1 until it was 6 bars.
bump it up to 160 and go again. in a short time 160 would become easy as your body learned how to make it happen and what you were trying to get done.
Link Posted: 4/20/2016 2:07:46 PM EDT
[#18]
Put the kids to bed, hit the rack and tried to get to it.
Daughter number 2 would not sleep, I could see her on the monitor. I got squats and bench done, had to pause for a while on rows, ill go back and do them here in a bit.
took bcaa's with the preworkout and creatine with afterworkout protein shake worked out great, Trying to up my water intake too. Ive got a few tweeks still with the rack but nothing major, stuff like marking spots on the floor so I can put the bench in the same spot each time and finding the right peg holes for everything so I can just set it and go without having to test first.

210 on squats starting to feel heavy again... Still shooting for depth and good form though. Strength is there just need endurance.
Link Posted: 4/22/2016 4:44:55 PM EDT
[#19]
220 sucked today but I got all my reps. 5th set was best because I said "No, your getting these in, EXPLOSIVE!"
Ive got to get a rhythm on overhead press.
Added close grip bench and bicep curls, did an extra set of bicep because I felt like chasing a pump a little.
Ive got to adjust my deadlift, it deloaded the hell out of my and Its set at 5 lbs, needs to be 10.

230 on squats monday, 245 has been my wall. Gonna go for it though and see if I can just make it happen and fight on past.

I took 2 scoops of Assault preworkout, could still feel it long after. I really like it. I actually felt like "okay its time to workout now."
Overall good day, gonna try and rest this weekend and get ready for monday.

Any thoughts on working on form with pretty light weight on days off? Need to get some muscle memory down on a few things but dont want to interfere with recovery too much either.
Link Posted: 4/25/2016 9:05:53 AM EDT
[#20]
I picked up a PVC pipe cut to about the length of a barbell.  I use that to stretch and to work on form.  It helps a lot and is cheap!
Link Posted: 4/25/2016 3:07:11 PM EDT
[#21]
Just killed 230 on squat. Very happy.
Yelling loudly on way up helps.
Link Posted: 4/25/2016 6:51:27 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
View Quote

lol. Good job man. Have you started using a belt yet? I forget if you've talked about it.
Link Posted: 4/25/2016 7:01:15 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

lol. Good job man. Have you started using a belt yet? I forget if you've talked about it.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

yeah, usually just use it on work set.
Link Posted: 4/25/2016 7:06:57 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Then stop yelling and brace against the damn thing!!!! It should feel like your abs are going to bust your belt to pieces! Unless I'm doing it wrong... But if you lose air you lose tightness. Also, have you heard of nose tork?
Link Posted: 4/25/2016 7:14:17 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

Then stop yelling and brace against the damn thing!!!! It should feel like your abs are going to bust your belt to pieces! Unless I'm doing it wrong... But if you lose air you lose tightness. Also, have you heard of nose tork?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I yell/exhale on the way up which is allowed lol
Link Posted: 4/25/2016 7:18:02 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Nuh uh. Your head should be so red it turns purple. Haha. But seriously I've popped a blood vessel in my eye before. lol
Link Posted: 4/25/2016 8:27:25 PM EDT
[#27]
hhmmm seems like a 9mmvs.45 argument from what I can tell.
bodybuilding.com post
I was just doing it 3/4 of the way up. It seemed to help my pace alot, not nearly as light headed and my rest/recovery times were really good. maybe 1.5 minutes between sets.
Either way I got through it and I set up 2 other exercises paused bench and push ups. I may throw in skullcrushers but ill have to practice them first. I dont like trying to learn during a workout.
I think i have it set to do some form of bench each day now. Paused and close grip and that will really give me some practice. will probably add some form of chinups as well.
I think I got my days backwards, it was deadlift monday and friday but not its just wed. Think it will make a difference or should i swap days again?
Link Posted: 4/27/2016 5:27:09 PM EDT
[#28]
240, freaking heavy. Not pretty but successfull.
Between that and deadlift im beat.

im digging a version of bench press each day, lots of easy practice on form for now at least.
Deadlift felt good today.

Link Posted: 4/29/2016 3:59:01 PM EDT
[#29]
How's the bench press coming? Get any good chest pumps?
Link Posted: 4/29/2016 6:42:19 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
How's the bench press coming? Get any good chest pumps?
View Quote

250 squats going down like the titanic, going to hit my first personal goal in a few, 2 more sets to go.

Bench weight is 140 today, going to be 50/50.
Form is good
Link Posted: 4/29/2016 7:37:16 PM EDT
[#31]
Bench got me.
5, 4, 4, 3, 3 reps.
Left arm drops way faster unless I go ultra slow.
Link Posted: 4/29/2016 10:44:38 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
Bench got me.
5, 4, 4, 3, 3 reps.
Left arm drops way faster unless I go ultra slow.
View Quote

Your right arm is doing the work. Do a few sets of dumbell bench press as an accessory. It will train the left arm not to dump the weight.
Link Posted: 5/3/2016 2:30:05 PM EDT
[#33]
BAH. yesterday kinda sucked. I was in a huge hurry with everything and just skipped squats almost entirely and skipped the extra exercises. Wife was going out of town and I had to pull a driveshaft on my truck.
Either way, what I did get done felt good. I feel like I have a good form down for OHP now and it felt good.
I think im going to practice deadlift some more, even though I didnt fail I feel like my form is different each time or there are just little things im not doing.
Trying to stay motivated and not burn out!
drums are 50% setup now too.
Link Posted: 5/3/2016 11:01:45 PM EDT
[#34]
Did she take the kids? Or are you stuck alone with all of them? Haha. How has you energy been since incorporating more work?
Link Posted: 5/4/2016 7:59:55 AM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
Did she take the kids? Or are you stuck alone with all of them? Haha. How has you energy been since incorporating more work?
View Quote

I was stuck with'em.
Energy is good. I like doing the extra stuff honestly. would like to add some other things in there but I need to improve on stuff like bench and OHP.
Link Posted: 5/4/2016 8:18:12 AM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:

I was stuck with'em.
Energy is good. I like doing the extra stuff honestly. would like to add some other things in there but I need to improve on stuff like bench and OHP.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I was stuck with'em.

Are you doing any dumbbell press or any sort of flys? Both can be really good accessories for developing the pecs. Get a good stretch and contraction in the muscles. Building your arm strength, biceps and triceps, will also be beneficial for both. Triceps are important in both lifts.
Link Posted: 5/4/2016 8:57:56 AM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:

Are you doing any dumbbell press or any sort of flys? Both can be really good accessories for developing the pecs. Get a good stretch and contraction in the muscles. Building your arm strength, biceps and triceps, will also be beneficial for both. Triceps are important in both lifts.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I was stuck with'em.

ive been considering something like those.
Link Posted: 5/5/2016 9:14:30 AM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I was stuck with'em.

DB presses are great if you have balance issues with Bench
Link Posted: 5/6/2016 10:21:56 AM EDT
[#39]
I worked on bench press last night, just wanted to get some more reps in and slow down etc.
I dont recall what weight I did but it was 4x8 and it felt really good. I actually am sore this morning from it some in my traps.
I think if I slow way down that helps my control. I could tell if I was off because one side would hit the safety bar if I was rushing it.
Ive been really trying to use leg drive but honestly I cant tell that it hurts or helps me, I feel like if my arms were just stronger it would all be fine.
I know that both parts would be ideal.
Bar path looks good though.

Link Posted: 5/10/2016 11:04:36 AM EDT
[#40]
Stuck on 140 bench press. My sets usually go like this
5 5 4 3 2 (reps)
SL wants me to deload and do incremental weight. Im going to double check some things on elbows.
Some say keep them tight against your sides, others say 45 degree.
I feel like I have moved stuff off of my triceps and onto my shoulders, my right shoulder is def injured today, very sore/painful. So somethings off...

Here is some very short video footage, see what you guys think.
I could not get a good side view, plates were in the way.

EDIT: now that I watch this again, those elbows are flared way out on the push up. Probably most of my issue huh?

you guys ever used an app called fitocracy? (I think i spelled it right)
Its supposed to let you build your own workout routine or something. I thought about looking into it for the exercises you guys were mentioning. (otherwise ill never keep it straight)

Link Posted: 5/10/2016 12:11:50 PM EDT
[#41]
Yeah, your elbows look like they are flaring early. The elbow position seems pretty good at the bottom. Another thing, if you watch the last few reps you can really see how you sort of screw your right arm and load up your right shoulder hard(I could tell this was the shoulder you hurt just by watching). It looks like you loose a bunch of stability doing this.

How are your triceps? Gaining strength? I would look at getting some bench dips in as accessory work possibly. If your shoulders hurt because of bench press it may be a stability issue, or just that they have to take the load due to poor form/strength issues. I think your form is overall pretty good(especially when you are fresh), bar path looks right, etc. So I am kind of thinking your triceps may be a bit weak, hence the tendency to flare your elbows to engage the shoulders, which causes you to lose tension and add more stress to the shoulders. Anyway, that is why I am thinking you may need to focus on your triceps.

Edit: About what you said of being unsure about where to put your elbows. Alan Thrall's how to bench video is pretty good at covering form for newer lifters. The reason why you will hear something resembling elbows touching your sides would be people misunderstanding the elbows in cue. Once your triceps and lats develop and get bigger, you will be able to use that contact as leverage in the press. So unless you can rest your triceps on your lats, 45*s should do nicely unless your body demands different.
Link Posted: 5/10/2016 12:40:17 PM EDT
[#42]
Put you feet flat on the ground. Push with your feet hard so you can feel the pressure where your back is touching the bench. This will help you a little.

Your bar path is all fucked up. You start to drive it towards your head then you push strait up. It needs to be a strait line. This line doesn't have to be vertical it just needs to be strait. It looks like what is causing this is your going too low on your chest almost to your belly. Fixing this will help a lot.

And yes try to keep your elbows in.
Link Posted: 5/10/2016 12:45:38 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:
Yeah, your elbows look like they are flaring early. The elbow position seems pretty good at the bottom. Another thing, if you watch the last few reps you can really see how you sort of screw your right arm and load up your right shoulder hard(I could tell this was the shoulder you hurt just by watching). It looks like you loose a bunch of stability doing this.

How are your triceps? Gaining strength? I would look at getting some bench dips in as accessory work possibly. If your shoulders hurt because of bench press it may be a stability issue, or just that they have to take the load due to poor form/strength issues. I think your form is overall pretty good(especially when you are fresh), bar path looks right, etc. So I am kind of thinking your triceps may be a bit weak, hence the tendency to flare your elbows to engage the shoulders, which causes you to lose tension and add more stress to the shoulders. Anyway, that is why I am thinking you may need to focus on your triceps.

Edit: About what you said of being unsure about where to put your elbows. Alan Thrall's how to bench video is pretty good at covering form for newer lifters. The reason why you will hear something resembling elbows touching your sides would be people misunderstanding the elbows in cue. Once your triceps and lats develop and get bigger, you will be able to use that contact as leverage in the press. So unless you can rest your triceps on your lats, 45*s should do nicely unless your body demands different.
View Quote

I agree, I was completely loading up that right shoulder to get the reps. The right shoulder has been making alot of noise during the bench lately...  I think I have arms correct at the bottom but on the way up they fail, I know the one fellow made a band that brings your arms together during bench and Im not saying I need that  but I think thats most of my issue and causing the loadup on the shoulders.
Stability has gotten better as I keep experimenting with weight and bench press variations but its still could be improved.
You might be right about triceps, I personally feel they are fairly strong, I have little issue with dips or pushups but who knows. Ill work on them more though, no issue with that. :D
I think my current form needs a tweak or two and then ill see what I can get to. Just need to add a few things to my mental checklist.

I watched tons of Alan Thralls stuff and thats where I came up with putting my arms where they are now as opposed to that guillotine press I was doing before. Maybe this will sound weird and I might be completely wrong, but should this bench press form mimic military pushups in a way? Its funny how my brain works, I have to visualize things then translate it to movement later. I was only visualizing the top and bottom and not the push back up. Ill let the shoulder heal up and see if I can keep those elbows in a bit more.
Link Posted: 5/10/2016 12:54:19 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:
Put you feet flat on the ground. Push with your feet hard so you can feel the pressure where your back is touching the bench. This will help you a little.

Your bar path is all fucked up. You start to drive it towards your head then you push strait up. It needs to be a strait line. This line doesn't have to be vertical it just needs to be strait. It looks like what is causing this is your going too low on your chest almost to your belly. Fixing this will help a lot.

View Quote

Yeah I have been working on different feet positions and placement, cant tell a difference between them. Something will click sooner or later.

Ill try and hit higher on the chest, been considering it before.
Link Posted: 5/10/2016 1:27:57 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:

Yeah I have been working on different feet positions and placement, cant tell a difference between them. Something will click sooner or later.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Also stop watching the bar go down. When the bar is balanced at the top pick a spot on the ceiling where the bar touches it. Continue looking at the spot bring bar down then drive it up to that spot. Don't think about how to get to that spot just drive to it.
Link Posted: 5/10/2016 2:13:07 PM EDT
[#46]
I re-watched the video to see if I could notice what KaiK saw that he didn't like with your bar path. I think the reason the bar isn't traveling straight from the bottom to the top was due to your elbow flare, it happens at the same time. From the camera angles I couldn't really identify anything I would call wrong with where the bar is at the top and bottom so much as possible personal preferences and then fatigue at the end. At the bottom, your forearms should be sticking straight out of the ground, vertical from all angles. Then if you need to adjust that position at all due to your personal body mechanics adjust from there. At the top, your arms should be perpendicular to the ground again.

For me, if I have my forearms straight out of the ground at the bottom and press in a straight line, at the top my arms will be angled down a bit. This is very triceps dominant and doesn't engage my pecs as great as it should. So if I go from that strong bottom position to the strong top position(straight up from the ground) the bar does have a little extra travel to it but it is a much stronger press for me. I see some of that in your press. Is it right for you?  Not if you can't do it without shoulder issues. But I think your shoulder issues are separate from that.

Something I did see is that you may want to grip the bar slightly closer. At the bottom your forearms were angled slightly out. I'm not too worried about it, but you may want to try it. I didn't say anything before but I think you are dropping the bar a little quick and going straight into the press a little violently. Row the bar into your chest, pause, then press. The timing might be a contributing factor to the shoulder flare.

Try working on your form with just the bar(I even did this yesterday) and pay attention to what muscles you are engaging. Row the bar into your chest, pause, then press. Take some video so we can see if the changes are good or not. I'd wait a little bit for the shoulder to feel better.

Link Posted: 5/10/2016 2:33:48 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:
I re-watched the video to see if I could notice what KaiK saw that he didn't like with your bar path. I think the reason the bar isn't traveling straight from the bottom to the top was due to your elbow flare, it happens at the same time. From the camera angles I couldn't really identify anything I would call wrong with where the bar is at the top and bottom so much as possible personal preferences and then fatigue at the end. At the bottom, your forearms should be sticking straight out of the ground, vertical from all angles. Then if you need to adjust that position at all due to your personal body mechanics adjust from there. At the top, your arms should be perpendicular to the ground again.

For me, if I have my forearms straight out of the ground at the bottom and press in a straight line, at the top my arms will be angled down a bit. This is very triceps dominant and doesn't engage my pecs as great as it should. So if I go from that strong bottom position to the strong top position(straight up from the ground) the bar does have a little extra travel to it but it is a much stronger press for me. I see some of that in your press. Is it right for you?  Not if you can't do it without shoulder issues. But I think your shoulder issues are separate from that.

Something I did see is that you may want to grip the bar slightly closer. At the bottom your forearms were angled slightly out. I'm not too worried about it, but you may want to try it. I didn't say anything before but I think you are dropping the bar a little quick and going straight into the press a little violently. Row the bar into your chest, pause, then press. The timing might be a contributing factor to the shoulder flare.

Try working on your form with just the bar(I even did this yesterday) and pay attention to what muscles you are engaging. Row the bar into your chest, pause, then press. Take some video so we can see if the changes are good or not. I'd wait a little bit for the shoulder to feel better.

http://youtu.be/hZPYTIPb2To
View Quote

I watched a little of video. It's really long. But this is what I am seeing. Top is what he is doing; bottom is how it should look.
Link Posted: 5/10/2016 2:46:56 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:

I watched a little of video. It's really long. But this is what I am seeing. Top is what he is doing; bottom is how it should look.
<a href="http://s111.photobucket.com/user/kaik78/media/20160510_132335_zpsdojgo0ma.jpg.html" target="_blank">http://i111.photobucket.com/albums/n125/kaik78/20160510_132335_zpsdojgo0ma.jpg</a>
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

http://youtu.be/hZPYTIPb2To

<a href="http://s111.photobucket.com/user/kaik78/media/20160510_132335_zpsdojgo0ma.jpg.html" target="_blank">http://i111.photobucket.com/albums/n125/kaik78/20160510_132335_zpsdojgo0ma.jpg</a>

Agreed. Good eye. I didn't see it at first because I was watching the elbows to intently. I typed too many many words. So video. I think his kink is cause by the elbow flare.
Link Posted: 5/10/2016 2:57:38 PM EDT
[#49]
That and going too low on his chest with the bar.

Basically he is using chest to start then switching to shoulders to finish.
Link Posted: 5/10/2016 3:28:20 PM EDT
[#50]
Watching video, I saw another one of theirs on bench but not that one.
Grip I could probably stand to mess around further with it.
Coil up- I suck at this and was trying to find a way to do it better yesterday. Ill try what he did, it made sense.
"Im contracting my lats the whole time." - I wish I had lats.
4:59 They are referring to flaring out the elbows, correct? That looks exactly like what I am doing wrong.
Ill watch the rest here in a bit.
Page / 35
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top