BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 769
Link Posted: 1/12/2019 11:27:08 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Cameronswmp9] [#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By sitdwnandhngon:
They feel incredibly natural for me as long as I have lifting shoes on.

The hard part for me is the wrist mobility for the clean grip.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By thormx538:
Anyone else find front squats to be one of the most exhausting things out there? I was doing 4x8 the other night at like 70% of my back squat and I'm still sore today. Core, upper back, traps, quads, everything.

This is me. The front rack feels really weird, and the cross hold doesn't feel stable. Im pushing more towards the rack, going light to get more used to it. I have been doing them in a landmine just to keep doing them.

ETA: somewhat of a double tap, didn't take at first but did later? Weird.
Link Posted: 1/12/2019 3:58:03 PM EDT
[#2]

View All Quotes
Anyone else find front squats to be one of the most exhausting things out there? I was doing 4x8 the other night at like 70% of my back squat and I'm still sore today. Core, upper back, traps, quads, everything.

I'm the same. The front rack feels off, and trying to do them with the arms crossed hold feels horrible. I've been doing them with landmines just to get them in, but trying to get better in the front rack position.

With that, I also wouldn't mind adding some oly lifts, but that's going to be down the road
Link Posted: 1/12/2019 5:26:37 PM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 1/12/2019 5:48:29 PM EDT
[#4]
View Quote
I like them. The bar fits in my shoulder groove perfect.
Link Posted: 1/12/2019 5:50:25 PM EDT
[#5]
Originally Posted By CLICKBANGBANG:
Hopefully he said the right name when he was at the alter with her.
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By 03RN:

Congrats man! How was it?
Hopefully he said the right name when he was at the alter with her.
It's been a week, maybe he didn't make it
Link Posted: 1/12/2019 5:53:22 PM EDT
[#6]
Been a lot more consistent these last 2 weeks. I made it to the gym twice per week plus 3 good workouts at home each week.

I pulled 455x5 with no sweat, then 475 for an easy single. Felt really good but didn't feel like pushing must past that.
Link Posted: 1/15/2019 9:34:44 PM EDT
[#7]
Broke thread
Link Posted: 1/15/2019 9:55:21 PM EDT
[#8]
Been a lot more consistent these last 2 weeks. I made it to the gym twice per week plus 3 good workouts at home each week.

I pulled 455x5 with no sweat, then 475 for an easy single. Felt really good but didn't feel like pushing must past that.
View Quote
I can’t wait for the day that I’m talking about anything over 400 being easy.
Link Posted: 1/15/2019 11:40:53 PM EDT
[#9]
Originally Posted By grady:
View All Quotes

You can get there if it's a priority. Eat, sleep, lift.
Link Posted: 1/16/2019 4:13:35 PM EDT
[#10]

View Quote
I'm on diet. I couldn't get 3 at 470 the other day.
Link Posted: 1/16/2019 5:12:01 PM EDT
[#11]
View All Quotes

I'm with you. Lifting on a cut sucks, but I am really not liking deload weeks.

Next cycle I am going to go for 3 plate deadlift
Link Posted: 1/16/2019 8:28:38 PM EDT
[#12]
I surprised myself today and got 455 once. I don’t think I had much more in me though. Also squatted 375 which is a PR for me. I can’t wear a belt right now so it was a good confidence booster that my back held up and felt strong. I may see 4 plates again after all.

I like deadlift day.
Link Posted: 1/18/2019 8:05:18 PM EDT
[#13]
Link Posted: 1/18/2019 8:23:16 PM EDT
[#14]
How do you guys do deload weeks?

I followed the book and did 40/50/60% and I fucking hate it. Luckily its almost over. Running the FSL Beginners, so I am wondering if doing the 5's "Im not doing jack shit" just for less volume would also count as a deload?
Link Posted: 1/18/2019 8:43:54 PM EDT
[#15]
Back up to a 2x bodyweight squat for the first time since April I think. Just hit 370 @ 184lb
Link Posted: 1/18/2019 8:45:34 PM EDT
[#16]
Back up to a 2x bodyweight squat for the first time since April I think. Just hit 370 @ 184lb
View Quote
Good job.

I never got to 2xs. I was really close though.
Link Posted: 1/18/2019 9:10:07 PM EDT
[#17]
My slingshot came in too, just finished up with it after my normal bench sets. It's pretty awesome, seems to allow my shoulder to stay in position like you were saying.
Link Posted: 1/18/2019 9:20:48 PM EDT
[#18]
Originally Posted By Cameronswmp9:

I followed the book and did 40/50/60% and I fucking hate it. Luckily its almost over. Running the FSL Beginners, so I am wondering if doing the 5's "Im not doing jack shit" just for less volume would also count as a deload?
View Quote
Do the program. If it's deload, deload and do the program. Stick to the program. When the program says to lift big weight, do that. When it says to lift jack shit, then do that. Whether you fucking hate it or fucking love it, do the program. The program can be done before or after fucking. As long as the fucking doesn't limit you from doing the program as the program is programed. Get the program done. The program doesn't care if it's day or night or before or after work, as long as you are doing it. Just do the program.
Link Posted: 1/18/2019 10:03:41 PM EDT
[#19]
My slingshot came in too, just finished up with it after my normal bench sets. It's pretty awesome, seems to allow my shoulder to stay in position like you were saying.
View Quote
Yeah it takes some stress off the joint.
Link Posted: 1/19/2019 1:35:46 AM EDT
[#20]
View Quote
Rounded back like an angry cat.  I give you’re wife three days to live with sloppy lifts like that....

GD is so dumb.  Still nice lifts.  My wife is at a 200lb 1RM, well below what your wife has there. Good lifting.
Link Posted: 1/19/2019 7:54:20 AM EDT
[#21]
Originally Posted By SCW:
Rounded back like an angry cat.  I give you’re wife three days to live with sloppy lifts like that....

GD is so dumb.  Still nice lifts.  My wife is at a 200lb 1RM, well below what your wife has there. Good lifting.
View All Quotes

Thanks

I'm not worried about GD. The haters are typically the ones who can't lift shit. I think everyone who I recognize as lifters in that thread thought the form was fine.

Maybe not perfect form but neither do I on heavy doubles.
Link Posted: 1/19/2019 9:43:17 AM EDT
[#22]
Do the program. If it's deload, deload and do the program. Stick to the program. When the program says to lift big weight, do that. When it says to lift jack shit, then do that. Whether you fucking hate it or fucking love it, do the program. The program can be done before or after fucking. As long as the fucking doesn't limit you from doing the program as the program is programed. Get the program done. The program doesn't care if it's day or night or before or after work, as long as you are doing it. Just do the program.
View All Quotes

You are right, I think I'm just bitching about it. I'm done with the deload week today, so Monday back to normal programming.
Link Posted: 1/19/2019 9:48:40 AM EDT
[#23]
Pulled 475x4, was easy. Even after 455x5
Link Posted: 1/19/2019 10:13:54 AM EDT
[#24]
View All Quotes

It seems like all the books are different though. The first book has deload weeks every 4th week, then they further apart in later versions.
Link Posted: 1/19/2019 11:19:27 AM EDT
[#25]
There’s a version called Karl’s method that moves a bit quicker. It’s more like 5/1. I never did the deload week. Seems like vacations and work travel deload me often enough.
Link Posted: 1/19/2019 2:06:17 PM EDT
[Last Edit: RolandofGilead] [#26]

View Quote
If I didn't feel like hammered dog shit I would skip the deload week. I did this fairly often.

Wendler even mentions this in the book somewhere IIRC he says if you feel good and aren't regressing or stalling, then go ahead and skip. I usually didn't skip two in a row though.

ETA- in the 2nd edition one he says not to deload if you're training 2 times a week, that's what I was remember. IMO if it's optional or discouraged if you're training 2 times a week, then you should "listen to your body" if you're lifting 3-4 times a week. I skipped them often and was fine. YMMV.
Link Posted: 1/19/2019 9:14:15 PM EDT
[#27]
I put a knee sleeve on almost 2 hours before I got to the gym today and it felt pretty good for squats.

PR actually, or close to it anyway.  Felt good.  425x3

Link Posted: 1/19/2019 9:18:44 PM EDT
[#28]
I put a knee sleeve on almost 2 hours before I got to the gym today and it felt pretty good for squats.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LrIchxld618
View Quote
How's your knee?

Have you tried with the bar lower?
Link Posted: 1/19/2019 9:19:58 PM EDT
[#29]

View Quote
Damn! Grinders! Nice going.

That's a orm of 450 lbs. You'll have to check the math. I'm not an engineer.
Link Posted: 1/19/2019 9:30:58 PM EDT
[#30]

Damn! Grinders! Nice going.

That's a orm of 450 lbs. You'll have to check the math. I'm not an engineer.
View Quote
My app says a 1RM said it's 468, but either way it's pretty good for me.
Link Posted: 1/22/2019 3:20:19 PM EDT
[#31]
Originally Posted By AnvilUSMC:
Thanks man. I am glad to see you haven't given up on the knee and are making some good progress. I've just been full of excuses not to lift for the past number of months so I don't have a whole lot to post about unfortunately.

I was thinking of @LawyerUp too. I haven't ordered any coffee in awhile and have been on a bit of a kick making cappuccinos lately. Need some good beans to add some more style!
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By AnvilUSMC:
My knee is bipolar.  Either it hurts like hell and I can't squat, or it doesn't hurt at all and I can squat great.  No middle ground, and I'm struggling to find what it is that makes it hurt.  Today I got 10 reps at 45lbs.

At least my strength is maintaining well as I lose weight.  I'm down to 220 now, trying to slowly lose fat without losing any muscle and get to about 200-205 by mid summer or so.

@AnvilUSMC glad to see you posting again, you and the rest of your VA/WVA buddies have been pretty quiet around here lately.  I hope LawyerUp is doing well, haven't heard from him in a while other than the occasional coffee delivery.
Thanks man. I am glad to see you haven't given up on the knee and are making some good progress. I've just been full of excuses not to lift for the past number of months so I don't have a whole lot to post about unfortunately.

I was thinking of @LawyerUp too. I haven't ordered any coffee in awhile and have been on a bit of a kick making cappuccinos lately. Need some good beans to add some more style!
Hey man, I've been busy and haven't made coffee in a while.... Finally picked up a steel log again the other day and it felt good.
Link Posted: 1/22/2019 7:24:18 PM EDT
[#32]

My app says a 1RM said it's 468, but either way it's pretty good for me.
View Quote
I’ve found different apps and calculators can throw slightly different numbers. I’m just glad my wife isn’t stronger than you.

I did a chest/ shoulder/ tri workout with my brother yesterday. He said he doesn’t like me anymore today.
Link Posted: 1/22/2019 7:25:18 PM EDT
[#33]
Originally Posted By LawyerUp:

Hey man, I've been busy and haven't made coffee in a while.... Finally picked up a steel log again the other day and it felt good.
View Quote
The Lawyer's back!  Or at least he stopped in for a single post.  How are you feeling?
Link Posted: 1/22/2019 7:26:36 PM EDT
[#34]

I’ve found different apps and calculators can throw slightly different numbers. I’m just glad my wife isn’t stronger than you.

I did a chest/ shoulder/ tri workout with my brother yesterday. He said he doesn’t like me anymore today.
View Quote
When I squatted 425x3 I also did a bunch of OHP, four days later I'm still sore.  I'm really fortunate that I have a very active imagination when it comes to excuses for not getting to the gym.  Last week I was kidnapped by aliens.  They fed me tacos.
Link Posted: 1/22/2019 7:47:57 PM EDT
[#35]

View Quote
NICE GRIND!
Link Posted: 1/22/2019 7:49:27 PM EDT
[#36]
Pulled 475x4, was easy. Even after 455x5
View Quote
Strong.
Link Posted: 1/22/2019 7:53:57 PM EDT
[#37]
Originally Posted By nyalaman:

NICE GRIND!
View Quote
thanks, it looks like a grind but I'm really slow on my 135lb squats too.  I just never know which squat will cause the knee to hurt so I'm slow-slow-slow.  It's dumb, I need to get over it.
Link Posted: 1/22/2019 7:57:59 PM EDT
[#38]

thanks, it looks like a grind but I'm really slow on my 135lb squats too.  I just never know which squat will cause the knee to hurt so I'm slow-slow-slow.  It's dumb, I need to get over it.
View Quote
It's deceiving. It looks like your 1 rep max on the 1st rep was 426. And then you just kept going. Nice. Lol
Link Posted: 1/22/2019 8:17:36 PM EDT
[#39]
Originally Posted By nyalaman:

Strong.
View Quote
Thanks. Feeling good

View Quote
I feel like that sometimes. The first rep is the hardest.
Link Posted: 1/23/2019 7:09:48 PM EDT
[#40]
So I’ve been working on this for almost 10 years now:

Seems like every time I get close my fucked up back would get in the way. Then spending most of last year in the hospital was a setback too.
Link Posted: 1/23/2019 7:28:38 PM EDT
[#41]
Originally Posted By BASE:
https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/196570/25055F37-3308-4BB6-AE45-EEA225DED223-819013.jpg
Seems like every time I get close my fucked up back would get in the way. Then spending most of last year in the hospital was a setback too.
View Quote
Outstanding!

Link Posted: 1/23/2019 7:32:01 PM EDT
[#42]
https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/196570/25055F37-3308-4BB6-AE45-EEA225DED223-819013.jpg
View Quote
Congrats? 4 plates is a great milestone!
Link Posted: 1/23/2019 7:40:03 PM EDT
[#43]
View Quote
4 Plates is awesome!! Congrats!
Link Posted: 1/23/2019 7:58:07 PM EDT
[#44]
View Quote
Congrats!  Is that heel up over there?  Time for some lifting shoes maybe?
Link Posted: 1/23/2019 8:00:12 PM EDT
[#45]
View All Quotes
Heel’s down.

Looks like he’s got the same Do-Wins I’ve got.
Link Posted: 1/23/2019 8:21:35 PM EDT
[#46]
Heel’s down.

View All Quotes
Heel’s down.

Hopefully that's just the black sole. Those things have 3/4" lift in the heel, and I think my scrawny ankle would snap before it came up.

It was an ugly one but it made it below parallel and ended up back on the j-hooks so I'm calling it good enough. Today was deadlift day, I wasn't planning on squatting heavy but I couldn't stand wondering any longer.

Mrs BASE isn't nearly as impressed as I am. On to 5 plates I guess. Surely that will impress her...
Link Posted: 1/23/2019 8:46:13 PM EDT
[#47]
Awesome. 4 plates is a great accomplishment.
Link Posted: 1/23/2019 9:31:05 PM EDT
[#48]
View Quote
Noce!!
Link Posted: 1/23/2019 9:31:46 PM EDT
[#49]

Heel’s down.

View Quote
I hate lifting shoes so much.
Link Posted: 1/23/2019 9:34:06 PM EDT
[Last Edit: grady] [#50]
Originally Posted By KaiK:

I hate lifting shoes so much.
View Quote
They’ve been a huge help for me with squats.

On deadlifts, they get my hips too high and my back position at the beginning is too flat. So, I go barefoot for deads.
Page / 769
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top