Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 769
Link Posted: 12/26/2018 6:35:55 PM EDT
[#1]
I got my working sets done at 225 today on bench. Minor milestone I guess. I was more happier before I remmebered that I had 405 within my grasp this time last year I’m hoping 2019 is a little more productive.
Link Posted: 12/26/2018 8:30:59 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By 03RN:
Merry Christmas guys
https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/433221/KIMG1021_JPG-785869.JPG

Congrats RoG!!!
View Quote
I wish I started lifting younger.

Cute kid!
Link Posted: 12/26/2018 8:45:05 PM EDT
[#3]
Nice lift!  And just before the end of the year, great timing.  Go for 365 by the end of next year?

Did your shirt say 'Make squats great again'?
Link Posted: 12/26/2018 9:07:25 PM EDT
[#4]
Originally Posted By Cameronswmp9:
I hit a PR of 185 on bench today, and I'm happy as last time I was only getting 165. I did try first on the bench press machine deal (These deals) but wanted to try it on a barbell. I tried that first because I don't run a spotter, and they don't have safeties on the bench.

Still feel good about it, and it's on the way to 2 plates!
View Quote
Get safeties. Bench on real bench.
Link Posted: 12/26/2018 9:08:25 PM EDT
[#5]
Originally Posted By SCW:

Nice lift!  And just before the end of the year, great timing.  Go for 365 by the end of next year?

Did your shirt say 'Make squats great again'?
View Quote
It does. One of the Cola Warrior crossfit guys got me it.  
Link Posted: 12/27/2018 1:59:25 PM EDT
[#6]
Originally Posted By KaiK:

Get safeties. Bench on real bench.
View Quote
I did 200 on that thing (I fucking hate that thing) then hit the 185 on a real bench. Just didn't have the safeties on it, but I left the collars off and will roll if I have to!
Link Posted: 12/28/2018 5:43:07 PM EDT
[#7]
Should I buy myself a Rower? Is rowing icky for some cardio? I’m not moving enough. I can row and not leave the house.
Link Posted: 12/28/2018 5:49:48 PM EDT
[#8]
Originally Posted By CLICKBANGBANG:
Should I buy myself a Rower? Is rowing icky for some cardio? I’m not moving enough. I can row and not leave the house.
View Quote
That would work. I just put a vest on and walk.....or grab a kettlebell and do s suitcase carry, or both.
Link Posted: 12/28/2018 5:55:30 PM EDT
[#9]
Nice...3 wheels!
Link Posted: 12/28/2018 5:56:13 PM EDT
[#10]
Originally Posted By Cameronswmp9:
I hit a PR of 185 on bench today, and I'm happy as last time I was only getting 165. I did try first on the bench press machine deal (These deals) but wanted to try it on a barbell. I tried that first because I don't run a spotter, and they don't have safeties on the bench.

Still feel good about it, and it's on the way to 2 plates!
View Quote
Nice...congrats!
Link Posted: 12/29/2018 11:18:28 AM EDT
[#11]
View Quote
I don't spend enough time on the rowers available to me, but I sure like them.  I like that I can work my knee without much load and get it moving, I like that I can either bust my ass or just get a slow breather.  And it doesn't suck like running at all.
Link Posted: 12/29/2018 12:56:33 PM EDT
[#12]

I don't spend enough time on the rowers available to me, but I sure like them.  I like that I can work my knee without much load and get it moving, I like that I can either bust my ass or just get a slow breather.  And it doesn't suck like running at all.
View Quote
I friggin hate running. And I have to leave the farm if I'm going to cycle. Which it hard to do. When I'd ride, I'd go for 45-90 min to get a workout in. So I'd have to set up with the wife to be watching kids so I could take a chunk of time to go. And if there was a problem at the house, it was always when I was 12 miles away on my bike. With a rower, I can hop on and go for a bit without ever leaving. I could use it to do 10 min warm up before lifting, or put more time in to try and drop my muffin top. I'd like to try and see more ab this summer.
Link Posted: 12/29/2018 2:44:59 PM EDT
[#13]
Gratz on the 315 kaik!

Mine has been going the opposite direction.  47 has been a rough year, energy levels have seemed to tank.  Probably stress related.
Link Posted: 12/29/2018 2:56:50 PM EDT
[Last Edit: KaiK] [#14]
Originally Posted By SoonerBorn:
Gratz on the 315 kaik!

Mine has been going the opposite direction.  47 has been a rough year, energy levels have seemed to tank.  Probably stress related.
View Quote
Thanks.

That sucks. Sounds like you need something to remove your stress.

Have you tried lifting weights?
Link Posted: 1/1/2019 12:33:17 AM EDT
[#15]
Happy New Year you filthy animals!

Got my last workout of 2018 in. Chest, shoulder, tris day! I'm trying out a new rep range that reduces time and reps, but really kills and leaves killer pumps in muscle. I'm liking this idea a lot. I'll keep playing with it and see how it goes. It's called "Dog Crap." At this point, I can't help but build muscle. Not even half natty.

DOG CRAP TRAINING | Build A Bigger Back In HALF The Time! (Ft. Alberto Nuñez)
Link Posted: 1/2/2019 12:44:52 AM EDT
[#16]
Moving from 3x5 to 5/3/1 for 2019, lets see how it goes, may need to start using a belt for the heavy singles:

Starting from:
250 lbs
26% BF
Squat - 395
Bench - 265
Deadlift - 465
Press - 195
Row - 245
Link Posted: 1/2/2019 11:19:48 AM EDT
[#17]
Happy New Years!

Congrats on the 3 plate bench @KaiK ! That is a well deserved lift man, you definitely put the time and effort it. Even though you did get sidetracked a lot by "cutting" and other general weirdness. I am happy you stopped being weak though.

My parents are moving out here(from CA) to be near my kids so I drove my mom out this last week. Made the drive in 4 days on the I40 despite New Mexico getting a blizzard. The amount of trucks on their sides was incredible. The desert was amazing with the snow. Now that my mom is living with us until they sell/buy I will have some time to spend getting back after things. Maybe I remember how to lift?
Link Posted: 1/2/2019 1:39:28 PM EDT
[#18]
Originally Posted By Guido2006:
Moving from 3x5 to 5/3/1 for 2019, lets see how it goes, may need to start using a belt for the heavy singles:

Starting from:
250 lbs
26% BF
Squat - 395
Bench - 265
Deadlift - 465
Press - 195
Row - 245
View Quote
You're definitely ready. Get ready for the gains!
Link Posted: 1/2/2019 1:40:46 PM EDT
[#19]
Originally Posted By AnvilUSMC:
Happy New Years!

Congrats on the 3 plate bench @KaiK ! That is a well deserved lift man, you definitely put the time and effort it. Even though you did get sidetracked a lot by "cutting" and other general weirdness. I am happy you stopped being weak though.

My parents are moving out here(from CA) to be near my kids so I drove my mom out this last week. Made the drive in 4 days on the I40 despite New Mexico getting a blizzard. The amount of trucks on their sides was incredible. The desert was amazing with the snow. Now that my mom is living with us until they sell/buy I will have some time to spend getting back after things. Maybe I remember how to lift?
View Quote
You're back on the Gain Train. It's good for your kids to have their grandparents nearby.
Link Posted: 1/2/2019 5:33:11 PM EDT
[#20]
Originally Posted By AnvilUSMC:
Happy New Years!

View Quote
Thanks man.
Link Posted: 1/2/2019 9:57:15 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 03RN] [#21]
Good week. Exercised 5 days in a row. I haven't done that in a while.

And accepted a new job that will cut my commute from over an hour each way to under 30 minutes and no more overnights. I think I might be on track motivation wise to be more consistent with my lifting. That commute was really draining.
Link Posted: 1/2/2019 10:00:49 PM EDT
[#22]

And accepted a new job that will cut my commute from over an hour each way to under 30 minutes and no more overnights. I think I might be on track motivation wise to be more consistent with my lifting. That commute was really draining.
View Quote
Impressive - given the new "mini-me" you acquired recently!
Link Posted: 1/2/2019 10:51:21 PM EDT
[#23]
I went to the gym tonight, there were NO resolutioners

The gym owner is making everyone that signs up from 12/20 to 1/10 pre pay for three months..... seems to be working well at weeding out the riff raff.
Link Posted: 1/3/2019 10:46:05 AM EDT
[#24]
I'm on my last week of the first cycle of Boring But Big.

I've never done 531 before, those 1+ sets are pretty rad. The 5x10 work is rough too, might have to adjust percentages a bit.
Link Posted: 1/4/2019 1:20:27 PM EDT
[#25]
My knee is bipolar.  Either it hurts like hell and I can't squat, or it doesn't hurt at all and I can squat great.  No middle ground, and I'm struggling to find what it is that makes it hurt.  Today I got 10 reps at 45lbs.

At least my strength is maintaining well as I lose weight.  I'm down to 220 now, trying to slowly lose fat without losing any muscle and get to about 200-205 by mid summer or so.

@AnvilUSMC glad to see you posting again, you and the rest of your VA/WVA buddies have been pretty quiet around here lately.  I hope LawyerUp is doing well, haven't heard from him in a while other than the occasional coffee delivery.
Link Posted: 1/4/2019 1:56:57 PM EDT
[#26]

View Quote
I’m trying to get in 5 per week now. After missing so much from coaching little league and that vasectomy that almost killed me, I'm liking the extra time in my gym.

I think I might buy a rower to use. And I'm still liking the dog crap method. I'll keep it long term for some lifts.

I'm an hour plus commute every day now. I'll be on these couple of jobs for another week.  
Link Posted: 1/4/2019 6:11:50 PM EDT
[#27]
My knee is bipolar.  Either it hurts like hell and I can't squat, or it doesn't hurt at all and I can squat great.  No middle ground, and I'm struggling to find what it is that makes it hurt.  Today I got 10 reps at 45lbs.

At least my strength is maintaining well as I lose weight.  I'm down to 220 now, trying to slowly lose fat without losing any muscle and get to about 200-205 by mid summer or so.

@AnvilUSMC glad to see you posting again, you and the rest of your VA/WVA buddies have been pretty quiet around here lately.  I hope LawyerUp is doing well, haven't heard from him in a while other than the occasional coffee delivery.
View Quote
Thanks man. I am glad to see you haven't given up on the knee and are making some good progress. I've just been full of excuses not to lift for the past number of months so I don't have a whole lot to post about unfortunately.

I was thinking of @LawyerUp too. I haven't ordered any coffee in awhile and have been on a bit of a kick making cappuccinos lately. Need some good beans to add some more style!
Link Posted: 1/5/2019 1:13:32 AM EDT
[#28]
Don't you hate it when you have a long post written, then accidentally hit the back button...
Link Posted: 1/5/2019 1:16:11 AM EDT
[#29]
Congratz to the boys with new babies, new wives and new PRs

Had several Stella's tonight...rehearsal dinner.  Getting married tomorrow!
Link Posted: 1/5/2019 1:20:54 AM EDT
[#30]
Attachment Attached File

Little Charlotte is 15 months...damn time flys!
Link Posted: 1/5/2019 1:31:27 AM EDT
[#31]

View Quote
I’m trying to hit 200 lbs and 15% BF by mid summer too... I won’t make it this year. Not even close. But maybe next.
Link Posted: 1/5/2019 7:01:46 AM EDT
[#32]
Originally Posted By Flashover343:

View Quote
Congratulations!
Link Posted: 1/5/2019 11:44:49 AM EDT
[#33]

View Quote
Congrats on the marriage!  Sorry about the Stella’s
Link Posted: 1/7/2019 10:48:46 AM EDT
[#34]

View Quote
Congrats!
Link Posted: 1/7/2019 10:51:56 AM EDT
[#35]

Congrats on the marriage!  Sorry about the Stella’s
View Quote
You mean you don't like skunked beers?
Link Posted: 1/7/2019 11:08:51 AM EDT
[#36]
Congrats guys, with marriage and kids! Luckily I am set there!

225x5 deadlifts today on the +1 set, hitting 225 on squats on the same +1 set Wednesday.

Deadlifts are a rep PR, squats I have done them but didn't feel good about them at 225. I did a single last week and felt great about it.
Link Posted: 1/8/2019 8:40:11 PM EDT
[#37]

View Quote
Congrats man! How was it?
Link Posted: 1/8/2019 9:12:58 PM EDT
[#38]

Congrats man! How was it?
View Quote
Hopefully he said the right name when he was at the alter with her.
Link Posted: 1/10/2019 12:48:19 PM EDT
[#39]
So my wife is now doing nutritional coaching for a few people in the area and she starts by sitting down with them and doing an assessment of how dedicated they are so she know where to start.

The lowest level, or starting level for most people, is to simply pay attention for a while to what you're actually eating, then focusing on only eating till you're not hungry and not eating till you're a 7/10 hungry.

So that's what I've been doing, waiting till I'm 7/10 hungry and only eating till I'm not hungry.  No consideration of carbs or protein, no restrictions on any type of food, just moderation.

I'm down several pounds, finally below 220 today and still doing really well on lifts when I actually lift.  I just don't have the patience to weigh all my food and know exactly what I'm eating every day, but this seems to work for me.  Now I need to stay off the phone and get to the gym more regularly and I'll be doing even better.
Link Posted: 1/10/2019 9:10:28 PM EDT
[#40]
So my wife is now doing nutritional coaching for a few people in the area and she starts by sitting down with them and doing an assessment of how dedicated they are so she know where to start.

The lowest level, or starting level for most people, is to simply pay attention for a while to what you're actually eating, then focusing on only eating till you're not hungry and not eating till you're a 7/10 hungry.

So that's what I've been doing, waiting till I'm 7/10 hungry and only eating till I'm not hungry.  No consideration of carbs or protein, no restrictions on any type of food, just moderation.

I'm down several pounds, finally below 220 today and still doing really well on lifts when I actually lift.  I just don't have the patience to weigh all my food and know exactly what I'm eating every day, but this seems to work for me.  Now I need to stay off the phone and get to the gym more regularly and I'll be doing even better.
View Quote
I think that's the best way to improve your diet. Start small and make gradual changes. It's no wonder people fail to maintain a diet when they completely overhaul it overnight
Link Posted: 1/11/2019 7:26:41 AM EDT
[#41]
Deadlifts today 235x5 which is a PR, and getting ready for FSLs I was goofing around a little bit and tried and got a 275 pull.

Wiped me out for OHP though
Link Posted: 1/11/2019 10:02:49 AM EDT
[#42]
Anyone else find front squats to be one of the most exhausting things out there? I was doing 4x8 the other night at like 70% of my back squat and I'm still sore today. Core, upper back, traps, quads, everything.
Link Posted: 1/11/2019 7:44:31 PM EDT
[#43]
Originally Posted By thormx538:
Anyone else find front squats to be one of the most exhausting things out there? I was doing 4x8 the other night at like 70% of my back squat and I'm still sore today. Core, upper back, traps, quads, everything.
View Quote
I tried them once years ago and they felt weird and my knees hated it. But I do remember feeling like I got run over afterwords. That was back when I thought heavy 20 rep squats were fun I should try to figure out how to do them I guess.
Link Posted: 1/11/2019 9:08:12 PM EDT
[Last Edit: grady] [#44]
View Quote
I gave up on all squats years ago because of the stress on my knees.

Then I learned about low bar back squats and was amazed at how much they helped my knees because of how they load the hips instead of the quads. They’ve made me a squat worshipper, even though I still suck at them.

Now that I’ve somewhat built up my lower half and I’m more aware of how movements affect different joints, I might try front squats again...cautiously.
Link Posted: 1/11/2019 9:48:00 PM EDT
[#45]
I love front squats! I'm super quad dominant though so...
Link Posted: 1/11/2019 10:03:46 PM EDT
[Last Edit: CLICKBANGBANG] [#46]

View Quote
My wife is doing a crazy detox... and told me she might eat less meat. Why the hell anyone would want to eat less meat?

My wife told me I look bigger because I'm looking bigger. I usually couldn't buy a compliment from her, but it's getting obvious to the point where she needed to say something. Should I tell her it's all the meat I eat? I think I've dropped a few % bf and gained a few lbs of muscle. Doing a three days of workout, one day of rest. So I'm almost doing each workout twice a week. Push. Legs. Pull. Rest. So I'm getting one day off one week, then two days off the next week. Working out 5-6 days a week for just a short time is showing quickly. Trying to get up to 200 lbs. 15% BF. 6 months to do it.
Link Posted: 1/11/2019 10:56:09 PM EDT
[#47]

My wife is doing a crazy detox... and told me she might eat less meat. Why the hell anyone would want to eat less meat?

My wife told me I look bigger because I'm looking bigger. I usually couldn't buy a compliment from her, but it's getting obvious to the point where she needed to say something. Should I tell her it's all the meat I eat? I think I've dropped a few % bf and gained a few lbs of muscle. Doing a three days of workout, one day of rest. So I'm almost doing each workout twice a week. Push. Legs. Pull. Rest. So I'm getting one day off one week, then two days off the next week. Working out 5-6 days a week for just a short time is showing quickly. Trying to get up to 200 lbs. 15% BF. 6 months to do it.
View Quote
From what you were telling me the other day, I'd be pretty worried about the concentration-camp intake your wife sounds like she's getting.  Do you know how much she eats in a day?

I hope your back holds up long enough to get strong and stay healthy, what do you do for legs?  Extensions?  I didn't think you can squat.
Link Posted: 1/12/2019 12:24:03 AM EDT
[Last Edit: CLICKBANGBANG] [#48]
From what you were telling me the other day, I'd be pretty worried about the concentration-camp intake your wife sounds like she's getting.  Do you know how much she eats in a day?

I hope your back holds up long enough to get strong and stay healthy, what do you do for legs?  Extensions?  I didn't think you can squat.
View Quote
I'm not sure on a calorie count. She just finished her detox today. I'm going to starting tracking her intake. I'm not real happy about her eating decisions lately.

What? You think I'm a bitch and am going to skip leg day for the rest of my life? I'm still doing something. But no, I'll never hit a 315 lowbar again.

Legs is hypertrophy. Nothing heavy. Higher reps. Under a min rest. Bodyweight squats. Light Goblet squats. I can do front squats with really low weight without problems. So a few sets of those. Then a band kick back that isolates the glute and hams because the front squat is quad driven. Bulgarian split squats. Go do 4 sets of 15. Calf raises a few sets of 20. Then I'll do reads at 135 for sets of 10-20 just to blast the rest of my cns that's left. Legs was yesterday. Chest today. I'm using the dog crap method for everything that it feels affective on. I really like it.
Link Posted: 1/12/2019 9:43:21 AM EDT
[#49]
View Quote
They feel incredibly natural for me as long as I have lifting shoes on.

The hard part for me is the wrist mobility for the clean grip.
Link Posted: 1/12/2019 9:54:31 AM EDT
[#50]
My wife came home the other day and proudly announced she was going back to calorie counting to lose 20 lbs.

After our first kid she did it for awhile with my help and was looking great....then we had another one on the way and hit the rewind button.

Anyway, I haven't been pressuring her or anything, just waiting for her to make the call. Last night was day 3 or 4 and I asked what she had left for calories so I could serve her supper (I can calculate the whole meal as I'm making it and portion it out based on what she is allowed)

She only had 230 left, so her rations were meager..... she had to go to bed hungry.

I told her that's what happens when you have a moment of weakness mid day, better to be a little hungry in the morning and go to bed full.

She'll do fine, once we got into the groove of it last time it went smooth, she only stopped when we found out she was pregnant again.
Page / 769
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top