Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 7/30/2015 10:00:13 AM EDT
I need to get some new outer cold gear for late season, nice warm coat and pants. I'd been looking for a while and checking out reviews for different jackets and pants and all seem well and good. I was prepared to spend $300 for a jacket and maybe 200-300 for some bibs. However, I saw a commercial on one of the hunting channels for the Heater Body Suit. At first I was like hmm what's that, as they didn't show what it looked like. Just had someone breaking into another hunters cabin to steal their Heater Body Suit ( I will now refer to it as HBS for here on out). I didn't know what it was, the name intrigued me because I had also been looking at some Milwaukee sweatshirts that are heated so I thought it might be something similar. I looked it up and immediately started to dog on it in my head. Like "really, who would buy that", "That's Stupid, seriously a sleeping bag with legs", "who's going to pack that thing out to the stand".... Then I started researching it and started to sing a different tune. Nothing but good reviews everywhere, most were from several years ago, but over all no negative feedback, unless it was someone who owned a competitors similar product, or didn't have one at all but we're making fun of it like I originally did.

With that being said, I'm seriously considering picking one up!

Does anyone have one, or have any hands on experience with one? I know $360 seems like a lot but compared to 500-600 for a new coat and pants/bib it's almost half the cost. The new one even comes with an electronic scent eliminator.

https://heaterbodysuit.com

Link Posted: 7/30/2015 3:08:16 PM EDT
[#1]
I use one, 4 years now. I don't leave home without it if its 40 or below.

You can wear less gear/cloths walking to your stand so you don't get all hot and sweaty

Only cons are the price and staying awake when your in it.
Link Posted: 7/30/2015 4:52:08 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I use one, 4 years now. I don't leave home without it if its 40 or below.

You can wear less gear/cloths walking to your stand so you don't get all hot and sweaty

Only cons are the price and staying awake when your in it.
View Quote

Yeah, but unless you cheap out on cold gear, it's overall less expensive then a nice hunting jacket and bibs.

Can you tell me a little about your experience, what about when you climb down from the stand when you make a kill. Do you get really cold while field dressing or what? How long does it take to warm back up once you get in it.

So it's worth it?
Link Posted: 7/30/2015 6:20:20 PM EDT
[#3]
Everything outside feels cold after your all toasty in the suit.

It don't take long to warm back up, if you don't get yourself all sweaty.

If you get all damp from sweat, you can still get cold.

I sit for long periods of time, and it really helps.

I love it, would buy it again in a second.

When I use the HBS - I wear a under armour long sleeve , Scentlok Full Season paints and jacket. When it gets colder I add a hooded sweatshirt and long underwear bottoms.  
Only once did I wear carhartt bibs. It was like 10 below out.
Link Posted: 7/30/2015 6:42:55 PM EDT
[#4]
I would guess it weighs about 7 lbs.
I pull it up into my stand with a rope when I pull up my backpack. I sit a few minutes to cool down if needed.
I make sure I'm harnessed in before putting it on. Takes a few times to feel comfortable doing it.
I bought mine when Heater Body Suit was running an "early order sale" what ever that is.     I paid 345.25 tax and shipping included.
Link Posted: 7/30/2015 9:58:28 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
I would guess it weighs about 7 lbs.
I pull it up into my stand with a rope when I pull up my backpack. I sit a few minutes to cool down if needed.
I make sure I'm harnessed in before putting it on. Takes a few times to feel comfortable doing it.
I bought mine when Heater Body Suit was running an "early order sale" what ever that is.     I paid 345.25 tax and shipping included.
View Quote

Thank you sir, I'm pretty sure I'm going to pick one up!

Last season I was Soooo cold, was wearing a arctic carhartt but with like 4 or 5 layers. I felt like the marshmallow man hiking through the woods, I felt and looked like the kid from a Christmas Story. LoL
Link Posted: 7/30/2015 10:24:05 PM EDT
[#6]
Where in Iowa do you hunt/live?    I grew up in Davenport.  Hunted public land for years on the Wapsipinicon River.
The last 6 or 7 years I lived there hunted private land near Atlantic.
My brother now owns 46 acres of land  in Washington Iowa. (non res. deer tags are crazy $$$)
Used to snow goose hunt in SW Iowa near Riverton/Shenandoah Iowa
I do miss the place.
Link Posted: 7/30/2015 10:39:01 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Where in Iowa do you hunt/live?    I grew up in Davenport.  Hunted public land for years on the Wapsipinicon River.
The last 6 or 7 years I lived there hunted private land near Atlantic.
My brother now owns 46 acres of land  in Washington Iowa. (non res. deer tags are crazy $$$)
Used to snow goose hunt in SW Iowa near Riverton/Shenandoah Iowa
I do miss the place.
View Quote

Live in central, I usually hunt a little western and southern Iowa. I had some private land that I was told I could hunt, but it ended up falling through. So my hunting buddy and a few others in our group usually hunt public land.
Link Posted: 7/31/2015 9:26:41 AM EDT
[#8]
Check out this thread for some discussion on cold weather gear: http://www.ar15.com/forums/t_10_23/679925_What_is_the_Larue_Tactical_of_cold_weather_hunting_outerwear_.html

ETA: Some other options along the lines of a Heater Body Suit:

IWOM

SJ Thermal Cloak

Along with the Heater Body suit ScottyPotty posted, these are all variations on the same theme for hunting wear when it's seriously cold.   Basically a piece of gear that let's you sit inside an insulated bivvy sack.  This is probably about as efficient as you can get with regards to retaining body heat while sitting still for extended periods of time.  

When you think about it, to effectively hunt in cold weather you often need to violate two of the cardinal rules for staying warm outside: (1) you try to move as little as possible for long periods of time and (2) you sit in an exposed, often elevated position.
Link Posted: 7/31/2015 5:53:39 PM EDT
[#9]
Love my Heater Body Suit.
Link Posted: 7/31/2015 9:43:16 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Check out this thread for some discussion on cold weather gear: http://www.ar15.com/forums/t_10_23/679925_What_is_the_Larue_Tactical_of_cold_weather_hunting_outerwear_.html

ETA: Some other options along the lines of a Heater Body Suit:

IWOM

SJ Thermal Cloak

Along with the Heater Body suit ScottyPotty posted, these are all variations on the same theme for hunting wear when it's seriously cold.   Basically a piece of gear that let's you sit inside an insulated bivvy sack.  This is probably about as efficient as you can get with regards to retaining body heat while sitting still for extended periods of time.  

When you think about it, to effectively hunt in cold weather you often need to violate two of the cardinal rules for staying warm outside: (1) you try to move as little as possible for long periods of time and (2) you sit in an exposed, often elevated position.
View Quote

Thanks, I've looked into a couple of those and yh IWOM is my 2nd choice. However I think the HBS will be it.

Does anyone else have any experience with the HBS?
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top