Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 3/6/2015 4:28:21 PM EDT
And by referring to LT, I basically mean "high quality." Even if you disagree with that...

I've suffered deer season (archery & gun) with my 20-year-old loud heavy bulky camo parka long enough. Who makes good camo outerwear these days? So far I have

Sitka
Core4

Anyone else?
Link Posted: 3/6/2015 7:20:25 PM EDT
[#1]
Layer up with poly capilene and other quality base layers first then pick up some outerwear by companies that specialize in alpine gear like Marmot, Mountain Hardwear, Pati etc.  Picking up surplus military polartec silk underwear and waffle long underwear is a way to get great base layers without paying the $$$ they want at the outdoor box stores.  I hunt in some cold ass environments and don't own a single giant puffy set of overalls or coat. All about layers and no cotton.

ETA:  EE here is a great place to find surplus base layers.
Link Posted: 3/7/2015 1:00:41 AM EDT
[#2]
Don't know about core4, the stuff looks pretty nice when I checked out their website. Sitka is top notch no matter what season you hunt. People like Cabela's mt050. I wear cablea's wooltimate, I also like under armour hunting clothing.
Link Posted: 3/7/2015 4:34:22 AM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Layer up with poly capilene and other quality base layers first then pick up some outerwear by companies that specialize in alpine gear like Marmot, Mountain Hardwear, Pati etc.  Picking up surplus military polartec silk underwear and waffle long underwear is a way to get great base layers without paying the $$$ they want at the outdoor box stores.  I hunt in some cold ass environments and don't own a single giant puffy set of overalls or coat. All about layers and no cotton.

View Quote

Thanks for your response. Layering is MI deer hunting 101. My question is, who are the top-of-the-line manufacturers for coats/jackets/parkas when you've been out for 2 hours and its 15 degrees and you have 8 more hours to sit in the blind? If a Cabelas drone was to drop you gear, whose gear would it be?
Link Posted: 3/7/2015 12:38:09 PM EDT
[#4]
http://www.sitkagear.com

there's one.

I also use cabela's wool stuff and have been happy with the performance.

I am in minnesota and typically will spend all day out when we hunt.  No heating up in trucks or warming houses or anything.  As you know, layers, layers and the best socks money can buy are the tickets....lol
Link Posted: 3/7/2015 1:04:39 PM EDT
[#5]
15 years working out of doors everybody I knew wore Carharts.
Link Posted: 3/7/2015 2:18:19 PM EDT
[#6]
Rivers West (made in Seattle) has very quiet, tough, warm, and weather resistant gear that is very well made.  

I've worn it for 10 years hunting 3 seasons and the pants and jacket still looks new - and that's despite two trips back under their toughness guarantee where they fixed tears to make them look like new at no cost to me (I slipped down a mountain side on an elk hunt and tore a 6" rip on a branch which is invisible now, and a couple of years later tore a square hole on some old barbed wire hidden under the snow - both my fault, both covered no questions asked).  

Most of my buddies wear stuff from Cabelas, so I am a sample size of 1, but my experience has been nothing short of excellent.
Link Posted: 3/7/2015 9:13:50 PM EDT
[#7]
Thanks scrum. That's exactly the kind of suggestion I'm looking for.

Keep 'em coming...
Link Posted: 3/7/2015 9:19:36 PM EDT
[#8]
Sitka gear.
Link Posted: 3/8/2015 5:19:53 AM EDT
[#9]
Ya, the more I research it looks like the Sitka Incinerator is the jacket that fits the bill. It's surprising to me there are so few choices in this market. Now I just need to find a vendor willing to cut down the price.
Link Posted: 3/8/2015 3:51:39 PM EDT
[#10]
Sitka is good hear I use it personally, that said when I hunt in severe cold, Tajikistan, Mongolia...Canada, Sitka IMO is lacking.  My go to clothing in COLD weather is this.  http://kingofthemountain.com  It is expensive but it is the best money can buy.

Link Posted: 3/8/2015 4:04:27 PM EDT
[#11]
Subscribed to learn more.
Link Posted: 3/8/2015 11:19:02 PM EDT
[#12]
firstlite.com
Link Posted: 3/10/2015 6:54:50 AM EDT
[#13]
Sitka
Kiui
Kryptek
Link Posted: 3/11/2015 6:00:45 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
Sitka
Kiui
Kryptek
View Quote

I like that Kryptek Aegis jacket on paper....but it's nowhere to be found. Their CS says it will be summer before it's available.

Thanks though...
Link Posted: 3/11/2015 6:07:30 PM EDT
[#15]
I use Patagonia and ice breakers for layers. My outerwear is Sitka. Good stuff.
Link Posted: 5/28/2015 7:56:04 AM EDT
[#16]
Necro-bump

The Kryptek Aegis is still unavailable through kryptekstore.com
Link Posted: 5/28/2015 8:46:06 AM EDT
[#17]
I use the sitka 90% jacket and pants plus layers as necessary.  I generally don't like a thick jacket and would rather layer. I have their rain wear as well (cloudburst maybe?).

I'm close to needing new and will get Kuiu or Sitka again. Kuiu seems to sell fast online and reviews are favorable.
Link Posted: 5/30/2015 11:42:34 PM EDT
[#18]
Lots of guys rave about these.

Heater Body Suit
Link Posted: 6/1/2015 11:25:41 AM EDT
[#19]
Link Posted: 6/1/2015 12:25:01 PM EDT
[#20]
Some other options along the lines of a Heater Body Suit:

IWOM

SJ Thermal Cloak

Along with the Heater Body suit ScottyPotty posted, these are all variations on the same theme for hunting wear when it's seriously cold.   Basically a piece of gear that let's you sit inside an insulated bivvy sack.  This is probably about as efficient as you can get with regards to retaining body heat while sitting still for extended periods of time.  

When you think about it, to effectively hunt in cold weather you often need to violate two of the cardinal rules for staying warm outside: (1) you try to move as little as possible for long periods of time and (2) you sit in an exposed, often elevated position.
Link Posted: 6/1/2015 12:35:51 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

View Quote

This is a great answer. Layers with no cotton. I was stationed in Alaska and these were always the first two layers I wore in uniform.

https://store.glennsarmysurplus.com/level-1-sand-silk-weight-sand-thermal-undergarments-p312.aspx

https://store.glennsarmysurplus.com/ecwcs-generation-iii-level-2-quilted-mid-weight-thermals-p384.aspx

Those combined with a soft shell layer will be good to go well below freezing. Good for about -10 if you're acclimated to the cold.

Link Posted: 6/1/2015 12:46:42 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
And by referring to LT, I basically mean "high quality." Even if you disagree with that...

I've suffered deer season (archery & gun) with my 20-year-old loud heavy bulky camo parka long enough. Who makes good camo outerwear these days? So far I have

Sitka
Core4

Anyone else?
View Quote

Krytek

Arcteryx/LEAF

Link Posted: 6/1/2015 1:36:37 PM EDT
[#23]
I like my Filson wool Double Mackinaw Cruiser.

Wool is quiet in the woods.  I use fleece for undergarments.  The coat does get ungodly heavy in the rain but it keeps me warm.

Link Posted: 6/6/2015 8:54:50 AM EDT
[#24]
Link Posted: 6/13/2015 1:38:50 PM EDT
[#25]
I purchased a Northern Outfitters system for a couple hunts in SK.  All day sits in non-insulated plywood box blinds with no heat source.  It was -46 F one morning and i stayed relatively comfortable all day.  Way overkill for MI deer hunting IMO, but you will not get cold.  Only wore one layer of poly under it and liner socks on my feet.  Walking more than 20 yards in it sucks...BAD.  I picked up the heater bodysuit on clearance from their site (discontinued camo pattern.)  I've played with it but have not used it in the woods yet.  Seems like the best system for stand hunting especially if you have any kind of  a walk in and out.  Best of all they'll take it back no questions asked if you do get cold.
Link Posted: 6/14/2015 11:31:28 AM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
Some other options along the lines of a Heater Body Suit:

IWOM

SJ Thermal Cloak

Along with the Heater Body suit ScottyPotty posted, these are all variations on the same theme for hunting wear when it's seriously cold.   Basically a piece of gear that let's you sit inside an insulated bivvy sack.  This is probably about as efficient as you can get with regards to retaining body heat while sitting still for extended periods of time.  

When you think about it, to effectively hunt in cold weather you often need to violate two of the cardinal rules for staying warm outside: (1) you try to move as little as possible for long periods of time and (2) you sit in an exposed, often elevated position.
View Quote

Ya, that Heater Body Suit (or similar) is probably the best solution for me. I'm hiking a climber 400 yards through thick hills & ridges. Typically wearing 1 or 2 layers for the hike out...by the time I've climbed the tree there's sweat dripping off my nose. It's a half hour of sitting and then start putting on more layers. When daily highs are in the 20s, well sometimes I talk myself out of hunting.

Thanks for all the suggestions...
Link Posted: 6/23/2015 5:45:28 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

View Quote

Also check out Sierra Trading Post. You can pick up some great deals on the brand mentioned, along with some deals on hunting gear.
Link Posted: 6/23/2015 5:55:20 PM EDT
[#28]
Sitka or Arc'Teryx
Link Posted: 6/24/2015 10:05:01 PM EDT
[#29]
Icebreaker and Kuiu make some good merino clothing.
Link Posted: 6/25/2015 2:05:54 PM EDT
[#30]
I usually wear either First Lite or Badlands outerwear with a base layer of merino wool. First Lite has some great gear. Their new Kanab 2 pants are about as versatile as they get and the Boundary Stormtight jacket and pants are the best outer/rainwear I have tried. I sell the stuff for a living and have tried just about everything and I keep coming back to First Lite and Badlands.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top