BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 7/29/2014 7:06:41 PM EDT
Anyone remember this thread?

http://www.ar15.com/forums/t_10_22/672481_Plan_coming_together.html

Well, my plan came together.  I can't believe I've been fooling around on this since February.  

Sold the 718 go kit last month to a new ham.  He said he was looking for a nice used 718.  

I told him, "I have one for sale."

He stated, "I'm going to mount it in some sort of case since I travel a lot due to my job."

I said, "Don't bother."

"Why?"

"It's already set up like that."

I gave him a price he could not refuse.

I tossed in a portable OCFD.

I sold him a Rohn 40' pushup pole with no rust for $50.00.

He left with a very big smile on his face.

I had enough money to finish the project and then some.

Photos later tonight after I get them uploaded to my photobucket acct.

UPDATE!  

See my post on page 2 regarding International Lighthouse & Lightship Weekend.  This rig was used to make nearly 500 contacts
despite all of the Lighthouse stations wall-to-wall on the bands.
Link Posted: 7/29/2014 11:15:46 PM EDT
[#1]
I had some Delrin rod that I cut up, squared up the ends on a mini-lathe, to use for supports and feet of an aluminum mounting tray for all the gear.

Three of these posts have rubber feet, and the other three are all Delrin.  They are 3" tall.

Here are the rubber feet I used, packaged by Peavy, but there are other sellers of the same item.

The three plain supports are screwed to the bottom of an SKB 2217-8 case.  This case measures internally 22" x 17" x 8".  This
case was chosen to accomodate the length of the Icom IC-7200, and have plenty of room in back for key, coax, USB, other plugs
and connections.

A piece of aluminum, 1/8" thick, and 21.5" x 16.5", corners rounded a bit, is placed in the case so that the front edge of the aluminum
rests on the front lip of the case.  This allowed me to find the position of three supports in the back of the case.  I used screws through
the bottom of the case that thread up into holes bored in the Delrin supports.

Three more of the rubber feet will be screwed to the rear edge of the aluminum sheet, and the three supports with rubber feet will be
attached to the bottom of the aluminum near the front.  In this way the aluminum sheet will rest more or less level in the case.
Link Posted: 7/29/2014 11:30:21 PM EDT
[#2]
LDG IT-100 Auto Tuner is mounted to the cover of the Samlex SEC-1223bbm Power Supply with 6-32 screws and
nuts.  Holes were carefully drilled through the bottom of the tuner, and into the cover of the power supply.  The nuts
do not touch the circuit board.  Green Locktite (290) was put on the threads of the screws to prevent the nuts from
backing off.  Green Locktite is "service removable" and is thin so that it wicks into threads of assembled fasteners.  
Commonly used for this in electronics.  If you do this do not overtighten and distort the cases.  Just snug is good.

These brackets were screwed to the sides of the cover of the Samlex SEC-1223bbm Power Supply.  They were purchased
from Powerwerx.

http://www.powerwerx.com/power-supplies/mounting-bracket-kit-powerwerx-desktop-power-supply-ss-30dv.html

The screws were left slightly loose, the brackets pulled down all the way.   Then the Power supply case was assembled,
the tuner / power supply assembly placed flat on the table top.  The brackets were positioned, and the cover carefully removed
to tighten the brackets to the power supply cover.  Hardware is 10-24 stainless screws with locking nuts.  Before this was
all done it was checked for clearance between the nuts and components inside the power supply.  All good.

Now the tuner and power supply are one solid unit ready to mount.

Link Posted: 7/29/2014 11:39:25 PM EDT
[#3]
Component positions determined and marked with Sharpie pen.  Holes drilled.  Brackets attached with 10-24
stainless screws and locknuts.

The edges of the aluminum mounting tray were gone over with a file to remove any burrs or sharp edges.  As holes
were drilled for the mounting brackets, the flash was ground away with a stone on a Dremel tool.

The IC-7200 was mounted with the Icom MB-118 mounting bracket turned upside down.

Good clearance in back.

Link Posted: 7/29/2014 11:54:14 PM EDT
[#4]
So, what happened to those other supports with the rubber feet?  This kit can be operated in the SKB case, or
the entire radio mounting tray lifted out, placed on a desk or table, and operated out of the case.  The 3" long
Delrin supports with rubber feet lift the front, while three rubber feet screwed directly to the rear edge of the
aluminum mounting tray rest on the table for good viewing angle.  A key, notepad, or other items can be
slid under the mounting tray out of the way.

Also, good view of Icom mounting bracket.  Blue Locktite (removable) was put on the screws into the radio.

Three more rubber feet were added in the back of the case to hold the mounting tray down onto the three
supports facing up.  The feet on the back edge of the mounting tray were staggered to not interfere with
either the Delrin supports or the rubber feet at the back of the case.

Link Posted: 7/29/2014 11:56:42 PM EDT
[#5]
this looks pretty badass, my friend.  

ETA: on having a sweet setup here
Link Posted: 7/29/2014 11:59:33 PM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 7/30/2014 12:18:52 AM EDT
[#7]
10 ga Zip Cord was used for power wiring.  

The Anderson Powerpole hanging out not doing anything is for connection from the Samlex 1223bbm
to the battery.

This Samlex SEC-1223bbm has a battery backup module.  This will allow operation from 120 vac, but if
a battery is connected to the supply's battery terminals, when AC power is interrupted the power supply
will automatically switch to the battery.  I've tried it, the radio didn't blink.  When AC is restored, the
supply will charge the battery, and when fully charged, maintain the battery at the proper "float" level like
a Battery Tender.

From the power supply's load terminals, 10 ga zip continues on to a Powerpole distribution block.

I bought it from Powerwerx.com.  It is made by Jo-Comm, their PS-6AA.

http://www.powerwerx.com/powerpole-power-distribution/ps-6aa-inline-6-way.html

I simply drilled some 1/4" holes in the mounting tray and attached the Powerpole Block with zip ties.  
Note that I used Powerpole retainers on the connectors in and out of the power block.

Power continues on from the power block to a 4-pin Molex power connector into the back of the IC-7200
transceiver.  Also made from 10 ga zip, and it has blade type fuse holders on both positive and negative
leads.  The 20 amp fuses (yellow) that came with the fuse holders were replaced with 30 amp (green)
fuses that are correct for this radio.

The tuner control cable from transceiver to tuner was too short.  I found the the correct male and female
Molex connectors in a kit at a local electronics shop.  I made a jumper to make up the length.

I had found pkgs of Molex 1490PRT, which contain 2 plugs 03-09-2041, 2 recepticals 03-091041, and 10 pc
each male and female .093" pins.  These mate up to the LDG tuner's cable and the socket on the back of the
IC-7200 (and other Icoms).

Link Posted: 7/30/2014 12:31:11 AM EDT
[#8]
I love these threads...  couldn't you post a couple of pics though?

:)

but seriously...  I'm looking at pelican cases to carry my gear in, not necessarily to use as an operating platform though.  Until I get the go-box bug, I'll just use them for protected hauling.  But my questions is about the foam...  Should I put the radio in the foam?  Should I invest in some large static bags and then put it in the foam?

These go boxes are built to be hauled around.  What do you do to add a little shock protection for when it gets dropped?
Link Posted: 7/30/2014 12:33:39 AM EDT
[#9]
Tuner cable from Icom IC-7200 transceiver to LDG IT-100 Auto Tuner routed neatly out of the way.

AC power cord for the Samlex SEC-1223bbm plugged in and stored between radio and supply.

Coax jumper from IC-7200's antenna socket to the IT-100's transmitter socket.  This jumper is
made from good quality RG-8X using Amphenol silver plated PL-259s.

Underneath the mounting tray is room for manuals, and I have a couple of zipper bags for spare
fuses, coax barrel connectors (SO-239 to SO-239), other asst items.  Microphone will go in a
padded bag in front of the power supply / tuner assembly on top of the tray.  Also, some fold-up
headphones (Skullcandy).  

Some pieces of gray foam were glued into the lid of the SKB 2217-8 over the transceiver and
tuner to hold that down firmly when the case is closed.  The foam was cut with an electric carving
knife.  Adhesive used was E6000.

OK, guys, that's it!  I'm done!

I tested it on the air tonight.  No hum, RF in the audio, etc.  Ready for "Hurricane Season"!

Link Posted: 7/30/2014 12:45:00 AM EDT
[#10]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

28 photos not enough?  More?  You want MORE???

but seriously...  I'm looking at pelican cases to carry my gear in, not necessarily to use as an operating platform though.

Look also at SKB and Seahorse Cases.  Seahorse are about 60% of the price of Pelican.  SKB is about the same price as Pelican, but
they have slightly different sizes, and this one suited my purposes better than anything from Pelican.  It was not a quality issue with
Pelican, but not being able to get a size I needed.

Until I get the go-box bug, I'll just use them for protected hauling.  But my questions is about the foam...  Should I put the radio in the foam?  Should I invest in some large static bags and then put it in the foam?

Yes, just buy your case with foam.  Let me suggest you mark your cutouts on the bottom of the foam (so ink marks don't show on top) and do
the actual cutting with an electric carving knife.

These go boxes are built to be hauled around.  What do you do to add a little shock protection for when it gets dropped?

Nothing.  I just don't drop it.  I'm not throwing this off the back of a deuce-and-a-half.  Just wanted to keep off the rain and provide some protection
for bumping into stuff.  When that Icom mobile mounting bracket is screwed under the dash what shock protection does it get?  Same thing.  It'll
be OK.
Link Posted: 7/30/2014 5:36:51 AM EDT
[#11]
Looks good!!!!
Link Posted: 7/30/2014 7:33:42 AM EDT
[#12]
Very nice work! Me like!
Link Posted: 7/30/2014 8:11:15 AM EDT
[#13]
tactical carry box for the tactical carry handle rig............will link this in EMCOMM Thread a little later today!  Nice Job Jupiter
Link Posted: 7/30/2014 9:40:20 AM EDT
[#14]
That is awesome!
Link Posted: 7/30/2014 9:45:17 AM EDT
[#15]
Very NICE!!

Great looking Go box Jupiter7200, I expect it to be tested next Field day with a report!
Link Posted: 7/30/2014 9:52:34 AM EDT
[#16]
Friggin awesome.
Link Posted: 7/30/2014 10:14:43 AM EDT
[#17]
Very cool!
Link Posted: 7/30/2014 10:26:58 AM EDT
[#18]
Very Nice!!  A real clean design.  The tactical handles are more than for just looks. They can be used to pull the whole assembly out of the box.

Are you planning on doing anything more for radio and tuner grounding?
Link Posted: 7/30/2014 10:38:40 AM EDT
[#19]
Exceptional

Due to 3D printing pricing I've had to rethink my VHF/UHF event box (and emcomm) and began designing around a Pelican 1450.  Pics soon and these examples help greatly.

Wrench in your gears, courtesy of Skibane's emcomm box thread http://www.mcmaster.com/#vibration-damping-sandwich-mounts/=t297k8
Link Posted: 7/30/2014 10:44:10 AM EDT
[#20]
Very nice! Well planned and executed!

I've worked a lot of hams on CW who were using the 7200 and they seem very pleased with it. I was surprised at how affordable it is.
Link Posted: 7/30/2014 10:51:30 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
Very Nice!!  A real clean design.  The tactical handles are more than for just looks. They can be used to pull the whole assembly out of the box.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Yes, and provide protection to the knobs and buttons from bumps, or any objects floating around in the case.

Are you planning on doing anything more for radio and tuner grounding?

No.  They are all solidly connected to each other through the chassis, mounting brackets, and the aluminum mounting tray.  

Tested last night on a net.  No RF/audio problems, no ground loop hum, good signal.   Though it was a little down from my Jupiter operating
through an 800 watt amp, audio was clear and easy to understand, as reported by a number of other operators on the net.
Link Posted: 7/30/2014 10:53:25 AM EDT
[#22]
Guys, thanks for all the kind comments.

This HF Go Kit is now ready for Lighthouse and Lightship Weekend on August 16-17.

Be there or be square.
Link Posted: 7/30/2014 10:54:55 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
Wrench in your gears, courtesy of Skibane's emcomm box thread http://www.mcmaster.com/#vibration-damping-sandwich-mounts/=t297k8
View Quote

I've built and used a similar kit in the past using an IC-718 and didn't have any problems.  I am familiar with those types of
vibration isolators, and in fact, have them on instrumentation at work.
Link Posted: 7/30/2014 11:11:54 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

I've built and used a similar kit in the past using an IC-718 and didn't have any problems.  I am familiar with those types of
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Great  Now tell me; how much do they flex/move?

It looks like you might have room in there for at least one 18/22ah battery, just 3 inches in thickness (like this: http://upgi.com/Themes/leanandgreen/images/UPG/ProductDownloads/40696.pdf)

Did you screw into the case or all the way through?
Link Posted: 7/30/2014 5:45:04 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:

What, the electronics at work?  Quite a bit, from the three diesel engines running damn near max HP.  That needs the vibration isolation.  
This kit doesn't.

It looks like you might have room in there for at least one 18/22ah battery, just 3 inches in thickness (like this: http://upgi.com/Themes/leanandgreen/images/UPG/ProductDownloads/40696.pdf)

I have a 55 ah AGM battery, to be used also with solar panels for recharging.  I wouldn't want to carry the case around with built in batteries.

Did you screw into the case or all the way through?

Screws for the supports and rubber feet run through the case, and have 1" dia fender washers on the outside of the case under the screw heads.  

Yes, I know, and it's been commented, "Oh, No!!!  drilling through the case you've voided the warranty!!!"  

So what?  It's my case.  
Link Posted: 7/31/2014 4:31:16 PM EDT
[#26]
isnt it supposed to be Orange???
Link Posted: 7/31/2014 5:57:56 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
isnt it supposed to be Orange???
View Quote

No, this is the "Stealth" model.  

[grumbleunderbreath]smart@$$kids[/grumbleunderbreath]
Link Posted: 7/31/2014 8:13:15 PM EDT
[#28]
[gunshowdealer] a special stealth black [/gunshowdealer]

heard it with my own ears
Link Posted: 8/1/2014 9:34:14 AM EDT
[#29]
It's beautiful!  Well done, sir.

Even though I love the 7200, why use it for a portable rather than a smaller, lighter rig?
Link Posted: 8/1/2014 9:42:01 AM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
Yes, I know, and it's been commented, "Oh, No!!!  drilling through the case you've voided the warranty!!!"  

So what?  It's my case.  
View Quote

lol. Have you ever sent one back under warranty? They don't make it easy. Honestly, it's probably easier to just buy a new one. They change the latches and handles so often you're liable to get one that's totally different from the rest of the herd.
Link Posted: 8/1/2014 9:45:31 AM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

Even though I love the 7200, why use it for a portable rather than a smaller, lighter rig?
View Quote

Triple conversion receiver.  

Lots of really hip filtering.

Ruggedly built and Tactical Handles.

Built in USB for digital - no separate digital interface and all the cables, just USB.

We have two other IC-7200s in the club shack, so most of the active members will become familiar with this model.

Other members like the shack rigs, and are acquiring IC-7200s, too, so using a 7200 for portable / emergency / Field Day is a natural for us.

I've used IC-718s in the past, and while a nice radio, I feel the 7200 will serve me better for just a few bucks more.

I've also used both the Yaesu FT-897 and FT-857, and found the menu system bizarre.  My first rig was a FT-897, and after a year and a half
of "getting used to it" I didn't.  I always had to have the manual open beside me in case I accidentally bumped a button or something and had
to find my way back.  I never did get the first 2m repeater programmed.  The programming details are not all together, but scattered around
in the poorly written manual.  I'm DONE with that series of radios.

I wanted a full 100 w rig, so that nixed the KX-3.  With possible emergency use that is no time to fool around with QRP.

That's about it.

Link Posted: 8/1/2014 9:45:57 AM EDT
[#32]

Quoted:

View Quote
It is built tough, and it has much, much better performance than the smaller more portable rigs.

For a bit more weight, you get better performance.

Link Posted: 8/1/2014 9:55:09 AM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

Built in USB for digital - no separate digital interface and all the cables, just USB.

We have two other IC-7200s in the club shack, so most of the active members will become familiar with this model.

Other members like the shack rigs, and are acquiring IC-7200s, too, so using a 7200 for portable / emergency / Field Day is a natural for us.

I've used IC-718s in the past, and while a nice radio, I feel the 7200 will serve me better for just a few bucks more.

I've also used both the Yaesu FT-897 and FT-857, and found the menu system bizarre.  My first rig was a FT-897, and after a year and a half
of "getting used to it" I didn't.  I always had to have the manual open beside me in case I accidentally bumped a button or something and had
to find my way back.  I never did get the first 2m repeater programmed.  The programming details are not all together, but scattered around

I wanted a full 100 w rig, so that nixed the KX-3.  With possible emergency use that is no time to fool around with QRP.

That's about it.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

That's about it.

Well, other than that . . .
Link Posted: 8/1/2014 10:30:59 AM EDT
[#34]
Would be nice if it also did V/U.

I was sizing components in CAD last night and the 703+ and V8000 might both fit, stacked, in the 1450

1450 and frame delivery on Monday.  It's yellow
Link Posted: 8/1/2014 12:29:08 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
Would be nice if it also did V/U.
View Quote

Along the Gulf Coast a hurricane is a regional event, not local.  There is need to get out of the area.  Repeaters are often down.  Those without
tower / antenna damage soon run out of fuel IF there is a generator for backup power (unless fired by natural gas).  Like cell phones, repeaters
can not be counted on during those times.

Anyone you can reach with a VHF or UHF rig is in the same condition you are in.  

What is really needed is a way to get out of the region, across the state, or to other states entirely.  Thus, HF for this purpose.  We (club) do
have separate VHF rigs (there is little to no 440 activity here) for local communications.  Local comms is not the purpose of this Go Kit.

Link Posted: 8/1/2014 12:50:09 PM EDT
[#36]
Jupiter, that is an awesome rig setup.

Link Posted: 8/1/2014 1:01:53 PM EDT
[#37]
Thank you, guys!  

I call it the "Arfcomm special".

Any day now there will be a total of six IC-7200s with LDG IT-100 tuners (and most with Samlex supplies) in our
club.  There are three new tech guys (they do radio/radar/electronics work for a living) studying for exams now,
and these guys will all likely pass Tech AND General, and most likely Extra in one test session.  They are all
planning on getting IC-7200s, too.
Link Posted: 8/1/2014 1:05:23 PM EDT
[#38]
One of the club guys runs a 7200 mobile in his Ram dually.

Plus tuner and V/U rig.

No more center console, just a comm setup

What's your antenna plan?

(I should have clarified that it would be nice if the 7200 also did V/U)
Link Posted: 8/1/2014 2:54:58 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
What's your antenna plan?
View Quote

I have this mast system:

http://goverticalusa.com/featured/antenna-tripod-29ft-aluminum-portable-tower-mast-kit.html

Which is erected easily and quickly like this:

http://www.arrl.org/files/file/QST%20Binaries/Jun2011/QS0611Dixon.mp4

I've made a hanger for up top with a pulley so I can hoist the balun of an OCFD.  

The conduit used slip fits on the end of the mil surplus aluminum mast pieces.  The all-thread rod is 3/8" x 8".

I can also use this same mast for a simple dipole, or for a nice portable antenna I found on Hamuniverse.  Hank and a few
others have built this and operated it with success.  My copy works well, too.

http://www.hamuniverse.com/ae5jufielddayantenna.html
Link Posted: 8/1/2014 3:35:12 PM EDT
[#40]
When you run your OCFD, what do you do about interaction between coax feed and the aluminum mast? Are you using rf beads on feedline?
Link Posted: 8/1/2014 4:34:47 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
When you run your OCFD, what do you do about interaction between coax feed and the aluminum mast? Are you using rf beads on feedline?
View Quote

10 ferrite beads on the coax up by the feedpoint, that is, just below the balun.

No interaction with the aluminum mast.  The beads are to help keep current off the shield.

Edit:  The beads are FairRite RCT-2.
Link Posted: 8/1/2014 5:21:31 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:

10 ferrite beads on the coax up by the feedpoint, that is, just below the balun.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Link Posted: 8/2/2014 12:59:06 AM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:

1450 and frame delivery on Monday.  It's yellow
View Quote

Oh, sorry.  Yellow... they must have been out of all the other colors so you got yellow as a last resort.  

My condolences.

OH!!! NOW I GET IT!!!

Black is the "stealth version".

Yellow is the "marine version".  Obviously you are going to take this sailing.
Link Posted: 8/2/2014 9:20:14 AM EDT
[#44]
I thought yellow was the new obumma supporter color.
Link Posted: 8/2/2014 9:25:33 AM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:
I thought yellow was the new obumma supporter color.
View Quote

Oh snap!

Link Posted: 8/17/2014 11:40:17 PM EDT
[#46]
An update.  

This rig got wrung out over the weekend used by my club for International Lighthouse and Lightship Weekend.  They made nearly 500
contacts, with contacts from the Gulf coast all over the USA, down to Honduras, and as far as the Virgin Islands and Spain.

And that was with all the other Lighthouse stations wall-to-wall across the bands.

OK, it works.

Link Posted: 10/12/2014 11:16:21 PM EDT
[#47]
I'll be building another identical kit over the next few weeks for a fellow ham, and another for one of his friends.

Have all in hand but the radios and mounting brackets.  They have to deliver those to me.

When I bought the aluminum sheet for the mounting tray for the first in this configuration I had several more
aluminum sheets cut.  When I got the holes all marked, before drilling I stacked the aluminum and drilled
all the holes at the same time, so they are identical.

Looking back, I can't think of anything I could have done better, or should have done differently.  I had lots of
things changed in my mind to this configuration from my previous kit with Icom 718.  So, this current portable
kit is already all of the changes to what I should have done the first time.

Another lesson learned, when doing things like this, always think of, how can I do this more simply?  More
simple is more better!  KISS!

~ Jup
Link Posted: 10/30/2014 12:26:15 PM EDT
[#48]
Tag to keep out of archive.
Link Posted: 10/30/2014 8:49:46 PM EDT
[#49]
Have you posted a thread of the Icom 718 go kit build? Thanks
Link Posted: 10/30/2014 8:52:05 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:
Have you posted a thread of the Icom 718 go kit build? Thanks
View Quote

No, I did that some time ago.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top