Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 7/28/2014 1:22:57 PM EDT
Looks like I'll be needing to get some cards.

Don't I have to sign up on some website to log contacts?
Link Posted: 7/28/2014 1:27:34 PM EDT
[#1]
I could stand to be informed on this as well. I made a few at the house just to send out a few. I got a handwritten note from my first contact so I made one to send back to him and that's about all I know as well.  I've had contact with a few of the special stations I would like to get a card from so....
Link Posted: 7/28/2014 1:46:42 PM EDT
[#2]
Get started signing up for logbook of the world as that will take some time to complete.
Download a logging program of some sort as well.
I'll edit this post in a bit when I have a keyboard and am not on my iPad. Will add some info that is hopefully useful.  
Link Posted: 7/28/2014 1:54:20 PM EDT
[#3]
So far I've been keeping my log via paper and on the net on QRZ. I go there to look up a callsign and enter a contact while I'm there. But I definetly need something local instead of relying on it being on a website.
Link Posted: 7/28/2014 4:49:47 PM EDT
[#5]
I log with an Excell sheet.  Info logged includes contact's call sign, date, time on / time off in UTC (aka GMT, Zulu), freq, band, power used by my station, mode (PSK31, SSB, etc), a comments blank, name of contact (first), US state or country, grid square, and how QSL... card, eQSL, or via QSL manager (from QRZ info).

Look up your contact's info as needed via QRZ.com.

Have some cards printed.  Meanwhile, send contacts you have now anything you can write info on, a 3x5 index card, anything.  Make a note in your log and later when you have real QSL cards send them a new on.

http://www.w4mpy.com/

http://universal-radio.com/catalog/hamacc/1116.html

There are others, and I'm sure other Arfcommers will chime in with places to get QSL cards.  I designed my own and a local printer prints them for me.

Again, it is nice to have a comment section so that you can put a little note, "Field Day contact" or "Jamboree on the Air".  Perhaps, "Enjoyed our discussion of stereo gear, learned a lot, thanks!"

I use eQSL http://www.eqsl.cc/qslcard/Index.cfm but if I possibly can, I mail a real card, and do eQSL in addition.  If not able to mail a real card, eQSL is a good substitute.  I made an effort to make my eQSL card look just like my real card.  The recipient downloads the card as a pdf.

Logbook of the World, aka LOTW, well, I am not an award chaser so I just don't care.  Others do.  LOTW, I'm just not impressed and have other things to do with my time.

But I DO QSL!  I urge you to do the same even if handwritten on a piece of cardboard you tore off the shipping box of your new tuner.

Link Posted: 7/28/2014 5:05:15 PM EDT
[#6]
I have an MS Word template for printing on card stock or pre-perfed post card stock if anyone wants a copy.  Just change the background picture and station data.
Link Posted: 7/28/2014 5:13:41 PM EDT
[#7]
I get my paper QSL cards here: www.w4mpy.com

On my QRZ.com web page, I have a note stating that I QSL via SASE or ARRL bureau.

ARRL outgoing bureau: http://www.arrl.org/outgoing-qsl-service
ARRL incoming bureau: http://www.arrl.org/incoming-qsl-service
Link Posted: 7/28/2014 5:14:07 PM EDT
[#8]
I log everything on eqsl livetime.  Then send paper qsl cards.  Then once every few weeks i send my eqsl log to lotw.  That way i cover all bases.  Very simple.
Link Posted: 7/28/2014 6:02:03 PM EDT
[#9]
I log by scribbling down contact info in a notebook that stays @ my desk...  I had some QSL cards printed up by designing my own post cards using online templates @ vista print...  Much cheaper and nicer then ordering QSL cards specifically.  I got 500 cards for super cheap, watch for sales.  YMMV
Link Posted: 7/28/2014 6:27:43 PM EDT
[#10]
Here's the way the card system works.

First of all, postage is not cheap anymore. Back in the 50s and 60s it was about 3 to 5 cents to send a post card. Things have changed.

You need cards, envelopes stamps and a shitload of ones.

Stateside, Puerto Rico and US possessions rule of thumb: Your card and an SASE. If it is a Special event I generally send a buck to help them out.

DX: Your card, SAE and money for postage. This is fair. Round UP when sending dollars. $1.01= $2.

Postage generally runs $1-3 but there are exceptions. IIRC Iran is about $13 or more.

Paper DX QSL adds up fast. My rule of thumb is that a DX crd runs about $5 when it is all over and done with. Truth is that's a bit inflated, though. You add the card (a quarter) the stamp to get it there ($1.20) three bucks postage and when you add the envelopes it hits close to a five dollar bill.

Pro tip: Go to a Hallmark store and ask them for envelopes and they'll give you a shitload fo free! Get 2 different sized envelopes so they nest.

Pro tip: Some overseas QSL cards do NOT fit into the small personal letter sized envelopes we use here in the states. go with an envelope at least 4x6.

Pro tip: It often costs the DX station to have US dollars changes so don't scrimp.

Pro tip: Think for a second. You are NOT going to get 100% return. (I run 90 to 95% on returns) Plan on it. You are mailing to places with questionable mail service. The mailman in places delivers the mail with a goat and gets paid by what he can steal. Jamaica has a real problem. I got Jamaica confirmed by Canadians on vacation after a couple tries with Jamaicans.

Pro tip. Check the QRZ page of the DX operator and do as he says. IF HE WILL ACCEPT PAYPAL DO THAT! It may be a buck more because PayPal takes their bite but it insures he gets his money. It's worth it because sending cash is risky.

Pro tip: Go to the operators QRZ page and email him first. He may have a change of address etc that isn't on his QRZ page.

Pro tip: Every 6 months write your QSL bureau and send them a bunch of SASEs and ask them to send you what they have for you. You have to ask. Generally they have something for you.

Pro tip: Don't email the DX station for 4 months and ask them where your QSL card is. Things often take time. I had an Italian ham tell me it took her 45 days to get my card. Mail service in the other part of the planet runs between better than ours to outright dismal.

I like paper. It's expensive but I like it.

LoTW is the way to go if you want to work for awards.

Pro tip: Bookmark this.

Link Posted: 7/28/2014 6:39:21 PM EDT
[#11]
OP: IM me your call sign and in a few days I'll send you a sample of a DX QSL request free for nothin' along with a genuine QSl card from a Special Event I ran from Camp Perry.

ACT NOW!!!

Operators are standing by!!!
Link Posted: 7/28/2014 7:51:04 PM EDT
[#12]
What more be said, All these suggestions are good.  LOTW is an excellent option and will make things pertty easy, there is also a support group that you can sign up on and they will help you.  Actually I made my own qsl card and had been taking it to staples for them tp print on heavy paper but I will look into vista print myself.  You can also join the ARRL and use the buero to send your dx cards, it takes forever but is very economical.  Good luck.
Link Posted: 7/28/2014 8:10:24 PM EDT
[#13]
Thanks for the info!  I'm also needing some more basic guidance. Like an I expected to send a QSL card anytime I talk with someone? Only contests, or foreign stations?
Link Posted: 7/28/2014 8:47:30 PM EDT
[#14]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Thanks for the info!  I'm also needing some more basic guidance. Like an I expected to send a QSL card anytime I talk with someone? Only contests, or foreign stations?
View Quote

I don't send a card to everyone I contact, only those that are special or of special interest to me.  I do, however, send a card to anyone who sends me one.

ETA- all ARFHAMs I contact get a card.
Link Posted: 7/28/2014 9:14:32 PM EDT
[#15]
If you have made contact with a ham once already, you don't need to send him another QSL card.

Someone you made a contact with on a net, maybe or maybe not.  I often do as a "Hey, OM, nice to meet you!" kinda thing.
Link Posted: 7/29/2014 4:05:27 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
View Quote

The rule of thumb here is you only send them to someone you either want or need a card from and return ALL requests for QSL that are accompanied with the wherewithal to return the request. IE SASE, SAE and postage.

I check into the YLISSB net just about every morning over coffee and you can bet your ass I'd be broke now if I had to return every QSL.

Let's say you're working for a basic WAS award. You need ONE from every state. You don't need 352 North Carolinas.

Incidentally look at the back of the cards you get. PSE box means they want one from you, THK box meant they have yours.
Link Posted: 7/29/2014 5:41:59 AM EDT
[#17]
Nets, yes, you'd be broke in a hurry, but when a new ham joins one of our nets, and I speak to him directly, "Welcome to ham radio," or "Welcome to the ____ net!" I certainly send a card.
Link Posted: 7/29/2014 6:20:50 AM EDT
[#18]
Ima hafta figger that out once I get back.  From here, I QSL 100%, paper, eqsl, QRZ & LOTW (once I figure out how to load as T6EC). Once I get back, I'm not sure, probably request only. I'm not looking for awards, but I know many are.
Link Posted: 7/29/2014 6:38:57 AM EDT
[#19]
I've been on HF for less than a year now. I have a card from every state & 10 from some states. I pick & choose where I send them now. I do enjoy the special events & certificate/cards from them. For example the 13 Colonies that just took place had 13 states + 2 special calls. That's 15 cards out with a SASE which = 30 stamps & 30 envelopes. So keep the cost in mind. Never thought I would enjoy the card part as much as I do. Some of the DX cards I've gathered are prized possessions.

There are a few people I contact that send a card for EVERY contact. A few from the USA & even a couple DX stations that send a card for each contact! I ALWAYS answer. I've send out about 50 cards in January via the bureau, but haven't received any in return yet.

You for sure want to sign up for LoTW, & might as well sign up on eQSL because so many DX stations only use eQSL.

My QSL policy is if you send me one, you WILL get one in return, no $ or SASE required. That may change someday, but I'm sticking to it for now.
Link Posted: 7/29/2014 7:58:39 AM EDT
[#20]
Let's start with logging. You can do paper or by computer. I prefer computer using the logbook function of Ham Radio Deluxe. Still use the free version. Back up the logbook file to a thumb drive and print out the QSOs monthly to dead trees which is kept in a binder in the shack. There are a pile of other programs for logging. Pick one.

QSLs. Electronic, direct, and bureau are the three broad categories.

Electronic can include eQSL, LoTW, QRZ.com, ClubLog and I'm sure others. The only one that really matters is LoTW. Yes, it's a pain in the ass to set up but for the effort it will save you a ton of money. In addition with LoTW you can use the QSLs to apply for WAS, WAC, and DXCC through the ARRL. None of the others can do that. Myself I also upload to ClubLog but that is streamline getting cards from DXpeditions and other DX. Not necessary now but something to look at down the road. I upload to eQSL just to shut up the EU hams. Otherwise I wouldn't bother with it.

Direct is the method that has been in use since Hiram Percy Maxim was a young guy sending sparks into the ether with Old Betsy. I send you a card, you send me one back confirming the contact. Doesn't matter whether you have a custom printed color card, print it out at home, or hand write it. They all count. I have cards made by KB3IFH.

Pic is right in that you figure $5 for a DX card. One way to help curb the postage costs is through the bureau. Big problem here is time. Figure on an 18 month turnaround minimum. I do so few bureau cards that I only send them in once a year. My last batch of cards I got through the bureau had QSOs from 2011. You get the idea. Nonetheless do find out who the incoming bureau service is for your call area and send them some envelopes.

In the beginning you will be chasing WAC and WAS and getting a foundation for DXCC. Unless you have a big trust fund the protocol is to send for a card only when the contact interests you. Say a new state in WAS. New continent in WAC. New country in DXCC. Sometimes just an interesting contact. My card from the USS Missouri is an example. As said before you don't need 352 North Carolinas nor do you need 173 Italy's. State on a new band? Yeah, go there. CA on 20m for the 200th time. Nope.

Follow Pics process on getting the cards out and back.
Link Posted: 7/29/2014 8:14:13 AM EDT
[#21]
One thing I like to suggest is getting a digital photo frame.  You can load the QSL's you get from EQSL right to it, and scan the paper cards you get, then load them up.  It makes a great way to display your QSL cards in the shack with minimal space.  Just have it scroll through them.
Link Posted: 7/29/2014 8:26:34 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
One thing I like to suggest is getting a digital photo frame.  You can load the QSL's you get from EQSL right to it, and scan the paper cards you get, then load them up.  It makes a great way to display your QSL cards in the shack with minimal space.  Just have it scroll through them.
View Quote

I scan them, and use them as a screen saver.
Link Posted: 7/29/2014 9:24:24 AM EDT
[#23]
I used to resist technology and used a paper log for a long time.  Well, I started using an electronic log 2 years ago and it is great.  You can upload it to QRZ, LOTW, whatever.  Plus it is backed up forever.  Lots of free or pay programs out there.  Plus, for something like JT65, I can click a few buttons and it auto logs for me.  Click a few more buttons and see someones QRZ page.

For QSLs, I don't send them out much anymore as I am not chasing grids or countries at the present time.  I used to chase grids and would send SASEs.  Check peoples QRZ page cause sometimes they will list their QSL policy.   I do like actual cards though and will send a card back whether someone sends me SASE or not.  I think it's part of the ham spirit.  Plus, I don't get all that many anyways.  Maybe 20 a year.  I also put on my QRZ page, 100% QSL, no SASE required but appreciated.

You can get cards for not too much money.  I ordered my last batch in 2004 from some dude in Russia.  They were in color and cheap.  I left the address and details line blank, since I knew i'd me moving a lot.  I just print off address, grid, etc lables and attach them to the card.  Still have about 1/3 left and have been through 4 moves.
LOTW and EQSL have lessened the number of cards being exchanged, but to me, it is still neat to receive an actual card.
Link Posted: 7/29/2014 9:27:55 AM EDT
[#24]
One thing about making your cards.

Design them to be as politically/ religiously inoffensive as possible.

DX means you are working with people of all races, religions, etc and  race, religion and politics have NO place in ham radio (IMO) . You don't want to send some bishop in Rome a picture of a bunch of nudies or a black in Africa a picture of a KKK barbecue.

Most of YOU guys have a card from me listing my QTH as 'Bumfuck, Egypt' but that card is for stateside dissemination only. The other card I send overseas has "Who knows where?" as my QTH.

There is a time and a place for everything and religion and politics have little place in ham radio when dealing with people overseas. It should serve to pull us together, and not apart. We shoud try and be Ambassadors of Goodwill.

(Except for when Itally-Zooloo keeps jumping in on a split and ruining it. Then it's OK to give him a 5x9 just to get rid of him. After all, he's proved he's an asshole and a lousy ambassador)
Link Posted: 7/29/2014 4:28:24 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
View Quote

Most ops out there are in one of 3 camps:

1.  No strong opinion and may only pursue cards from a new entity but will respond to any cards they receive.  
2.  Wants paper cards because they like them, and see QSLing as a hobby within a hobby.   They might actively send cards, or they may offer to send cards for free.
3.  Some curmudgeons see paper cards as a burden and want nothing to do with them.

The easiest way to tell (if they don't tell you during their QSO) is to look them up on QRZ.com.  Those that feel strongly about the issue will typically put it in their bio information.  Things like "I love paper QSLs, no SASE needed!" to "NO PAPER CARDS" will let you know where they stand on the issue.  If they don't specify, click the "details" tab and it will list their preferred methods of QSL (Mail, eQSL, LOTW)

At any rate, I went some time before I received any cards and that was only after I posted that fact here.  Now I QSL quite a bit and try to get one from every state/country, all ARFHAMS, and anyone that falls into category #2 above.  

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top