Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Baofeng UV-5R information (Page 9 of 16)
Page / 16
Link Posted: 10/7/2014 4:20:13 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 10/10/2014 2:11:12 PM EDT
[#2]
I went to:  http://trac.chirp.danplanet.com/chirp_daily/LATEST/

There is a bunch of downloads on there.  Which do I download?  

I'm using a Macbook and trying to set up my Baofeng UV-5R.  I already went through the "set it and forget it" sequence on page 1.  I also have a programming cable with FTDI.  Make believe I'm a 5th grader and have no idea what I'm doing.
Link Posted: 10/10/2014 2:26:55 PM EDT
[Last Edit: jhlewis10] [#3]
Download the latest one, it is the one most up to date.

Oh sorry Macbook, I have no clue on that.
Link Posted: 10/10/2014 2:33:50 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Senorx] [#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By jhlewis10:
Download the latest one, it is the one most up to date.

Oh sorry Macbook, I have no clue on that.
View Quote

They all have a current date.

Link Posted: 10/10/2014 4:20:22 PM EDT
[#5]
http://trac.chirp.danplanet.com/chirp_daily/

Click the Latest folder.

Click the Installer exe and download.

Go back to the beginning of this thread and read.
Link Posted: 10/10/2014 4:55:21 PM EDT
[#6]
He's on a Mac.

Download the one ending .app.zip. When it downloads, double-click on it in the Finder to unzip it. Then drag the .app file into your Applications folder.
Link Posted: 10/10/2014 5:14:44 PM EDT
[#7]
Originally Posted By Dave_Markowitz:
He's on a Mac.

Download the one ending .app.zip. When it downloads, double-click on it in the Finder to unzip it. Then drag the .app file into your Applications folder.
View Quote

Done!  Thanks.  I'll start reading now.
Link Posted: 10/10/2014 6:10:56 PM EDT
[#8]
There are step by step instructions for using CHIRP, with screen shots, back near the beginning of this thread.
Link Posted: 10/10/2014 10:40:26 PM EDT
[#9]

Originally Posted By Forest:

BTW UV-82s now have a AAA battery pack!!!  I already ordered one to try out.

UV-82 AAA battery adapter on Amazon

If it's built like the Baofeng AA battery pack for the 5R series I'll be very happy.
View Quote
Well done!!

Ordering now! I wonder how long 6 AAAs last in the -82?
Link Posted: 10/11/2014 4:24:58 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Senorx] [#10]
Originally Posted By Senorx:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
He's on a Mac.

I have the CHIRP widget in my applications, but it won't open when I click on it.  I'm lost again.

EDIT:  Just figured out I need to install a "driver" for CHIRP to work. My cable came with a small disk that won't fit in my MacBook. Back to square one.
Link Posted: 10/11/2014 10:56:36 PM EDT
[#11]
Link Posted: 10/12/2014 1:36:16 AM EDT
[#12]
Remember only run 6 if they are rechargeable.  Others 5 Alkaline or lithium
View Quote

YES!  Overvoltage will cause the UV-5R to shut down.

6 x 1.3 volts (charged NiCds) = 7.8 volts

5 x 1.5 volts (alkalines)  =  7.5 volts

Link Posted: 10/12/2014 9:12:35 AM EDT
[#13]

I have the CHIRP widget in my applications, but it won't open when I click on it.  I'm lost again.

EDIT:  Just figured out I need to install a "driver" for CHIRP to work. My cable came with a small disk that won't fit in my MacBook. Back to square one.
View All Quotes

He's on a Mac.

Go here, read this: http://chirp.danplanet.com/projects/chirp/wiki/MacOS_Tips

There is information at that link on how to install the USB driver in Mac OS X.

Link Posted: 10/12/2014 3:30:15 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Forest] [#14]
Link Posted: 10/13/2014 2:49:12 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Rivnut] [#15]
Has anyone found a good MOLLE pouch for the UV5R?  I'm not crazy about the maxpedition offering.  Would like to find a pouch that allowed the use of a speaker mic.  Also one that would allow either the standard or extended battery to be used.
Link Posted: 10/13/2014 6:15:45 AM EDT
[#16]

View All Quotes

He's on a Mac.

I'm using CHIRP on a mac, and when I received the radio, I threw the driver disk in the trash. I don't recall installing a driver for the programming cable. If you have issues programming the radio, verify you have a good quality cable, as my first one off Amazon was a POS. I had to buy another one (which was a few dollars more) to make it all work.

Link Posted: 10/13/2014 9:29:31 AM EDT
[#17]
Originally Posted By BadLuther:
I'm using CHIRP on a mac, and when I received the radio, I threw the driver disk in the trash. I don't recall installing a driver for the programming cable. If you have issues programming the radio, verify you have a good quality cable, as my first one off Amazon was a POS. I had to buy another one (which was a few dollars more) to make it all work.  
View All Quotes
He's on a Mac.

To clarify, the radio does NOT have a driver, nor require one.  The CABLE does.  What driver depends entirely on the cable, nothing else.

Many of the cheap cables use a COUNTERFEIT Prolific chip.  The later drivers detect the fake chip and do not work with it.  The earlier
v. 3.2.0.0 driver will work with the fake chip.  Go to the Miklor site, as outlined near the beginning of this thread, to find the correct driver.

Plug in your cable, look in Device Manager, and see how it identifies the chip in the cable.
Link Posted: 10/13/2014 12:05:48 PM EDT
[#18]
Originally Posted By Jupiter7200:

To clarify, the radio does NOT have a driver, nor require one.  The CABLE does.  What driver depends entirely on the cable, nothing else.

Many of the cheap cables use a COUNTERFEIT Prolific chip.  The later drivers detect the fake chip and do not work with it.  The earlier
v. 3.2.0.0 driver will work with the fake chip.  Go to the Miklor site, as outlined near the beginning of this thread, to find the correct driver.

Plug in your cable, look in Device Manager, and see how it identifies the chip in the cable.
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By Jupiter7200:
He's on a Mac.

this is the most important fact.
I bet a "cheap" cable will work, with a proper driver.

you'll have to take control of the device manager and the way it handles drivers, to make it work, but it will work.
I got the cheapest one I could find on ebay, after READING the info/warnings to the fact, I was up and running without a problem on win8.1 (x64)
Link Posted: 10/13/2014 2:23:27 PM EDT
[Last Edit: PowerPointRanger] [#19]
Originally Posted By Rivnut:
A good MOLLE pouch for the UV5R? ... a pouch that allowed the use of a speaker mic. .... allow either the standard or extended battery to be used.
View Quote

Blue Force Gear Ten-Speed M4 pouch - it's basically just elastic sewn up properly. All the flexibility of mic/no mic standard/extended battery you could desire. The HSGI Taco might be worth looking into, but I'm uncertain if the kydex would press on the PTT too hard and key up... which would obviously be bad.

From Vuurwapen Blog, use of Ten-Speed for a radio, although a larger one - note the fit.

Link Posted: 10/16/2014 10:13:15 PM EDT
[#20]
Tagged.

Just ordered a UV-5R.
Link Posted: 10/19/2014 1:53:46 PM EDT
[#21]
Brand new UV-82 owner here.  

Just reading through the thread.  Thanks for all of the info guys.
Link Posted: 10/20/2014 11:41:11 AM EDT
[#22]
I just got my UV-5R in on Friday and got to play with it over the weekend a little bit.

I can tune in to the NOAA frequency, and picked up a few local HAM conversations, but I cannot figure out how to tune in the local FM radio channels.

I searched online, but could not find any info.

How do I listen to music on local FM radio with my UV-5R?

Link Posted: 10/20/2014 12:07:54 PM EDT
[#23]
Link Posted: 10/20/2014 12:13:21 PM EDT
[#24]
Link Posted: 10/20/2014 2:12:47 PM EDT
[#25]

You'll want to read this Improved UV-5R Manual

But it should be the orange button on the side of the radio IIRC just a tap will do.  Hold it too long and that damn alarm goes off.
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By HermanSnerd:
I just got my UV-5R in on Friday and got to play with it over the weekend a little bit.

I can tune in to the NOAA frequency, and picked up a few local HAM conversations, but I cannot figure out how to tune in the local FM radio channels.

I searched online, but could not find any info.

How do I listen to music on local FM radio with my UV-5R?

You'll want to read this Improved UV-5R Manual

But it should be the orange button on the side of the radio IIRC just a tap will do.  Hold it too long and that damn alarm goes off.

You are awesome. Thank you SO much!

Link Posted: 10/23/2014 7:37:37 AM EDT
[#26]
I finally got to program my radio with CHIRP today... I love how easy it is and the query/import feature from online resources is awesome!

I wish programming my FT-2900 was that easy.
Link Posted: 10/23/2014 11:21:55 AM EDT
[#27]
Originally Posted By MoparMike:
I finally got to program my radio with CHIRP today... I love how easy it is and the query/import feature from online resources is awesome!

I wish programming my FT-2900 was that easy.
View Quote

Did you know you can program a lot of other radios with CHIRP?  You can't use CHIRP for the 2900 yet, but the FT-1802M and
FT-2800M can be programmed with CHIRP.

Let me HIGHLY recommend, for the Yaesu radios, the software from http://www.g4hfq.co.uk/.

Specifically for the 2900,

http://www.g4hfq.co.uk/ftb19002900.htm

The same programming cable can be used for the FT-1802M, FT-2800M, FT-1900R, FT2900R.  I can make changes in the software in my
office, carry my laptop out to my vehicle, plug into the mic socket, and in about 30 seconds have it done.

The first time I used this software I was having a problem figuring out which port it used.  Emailed Q4HFQ and the guy CALLED me from the
UK to walk me through setup.  That, my friend, is customer service!

I can send you info on how to make your own programming cable for about $5.  IM me.

Link Posted: 11/15/2014 11:20:21 PM EDT
[#28]
Is there any way to rig a Harris whip antenna and a Nexus PTT to work with a UV-5R?

Suggestions?
Link Posted: 11/16/2014 12:02:09 AM EDT
[#29]
Originally Posted By Renegade3745:
Is there any way to rig a Harris whip antenna and a Nexus PTT to work with a UV-5R?

Suggestions?
View Quote

you can get gender changer adapters for the antenna connection, not sure about the PTT
Link Posted: 11/16/2014 8:26:17 AM EDT
[#30]

Suggestions?
View Quote

Wiring up the PTT should be pretty easy.  Matching the impedance of the headset to the radio is the issue.  I have not tested it fully but I did get one working a few months ago using David Clark headset.  The connector was putting too much strain on the radio so I left it alone.  I am planning to do more with it soon.  Probably cut up another cable to use instead.  

I few days ago I built a Nexus PTT for the KX3 so I have the wiring mostly figured out.
Link Posted: 12/9/2014 3:13:01 PM EDT
[#31]
I know nothing about Ham radios, but there was a post in the bargain section of the General section here about UV5RE radios on sale at Amazon for $19.00 plus $3.98 shipping, so I am soon to be in the hobby. I need something new that isn't as expensive as guns.  I've also ordered the ARRL book to get started on my Tech license.  There is a lot of info here which is good to see!
Link Posted: 12/9/2014 3:24:21 PM EDT
[Last Edit: USNDOC] [#32]
Originally Posted By SWMP15AOP:
I need something new that isn't as expensive as guns.
View Quote

oh, your screwed there...

We will be happy to help you spend your money.  

Study up, take your test, get your license and hold on for a wild ride.  
Link Posted: 12/9/2014 5:58:50 PM EDT
[#33]
Originally Posted By USNDOC:

View All Quotes

Yeah, I guess it's like everything else in terms of sky's the limit.  It was an easy $$$ entry point.  I can spend some time learning something new and see how it goes.
Link Posted: 12/9/2014 7:12:30 PM EDT
[#34]

Yeah, I guess it's like everything else in terms of sky's the limit.  It was an easy $$$ entry point.  I can spend some time learning something new and see how it goes.
View All Quotes

Thats what I said just over a year ago. Welcome to the real BRD.
Link Posted: 12/9/2014 7:20:09 PM EDT
[#35]
Link Posted: 12/9/2014 8:52:58 PM EDT
[#36]

Originally Posted By SCWolverine:

we even have our own podcast!
View Quote
And a really good one at that!

Link Posted: 12/28/2014 7:51:10 PM EDT
[#37]
Chirp, period.   It would take you 700 years to program manually.  If you have problems, there are videos on youtube how to work it.   Buy the programing cable. The cable is goofy.  It generally will not run on the current drivers. (remember, its a cheap chinese knock off)  You can easily get the older drivers (one from 2009 seems to work best)

Watch videos, load up chirp, download from radio.  Edit the list to put the repeaters etc in the spread sheet, up load to radio.  Done.
Link Posted: 1/10/2015 6:46:54 PM EDT
[#38]
I got my Baofeng 5r2's a couple of days ago.  I followed jupiters instructions at the beginning of this thread and was able to save channels to my radio.  but when I scan all I can hear is static and occasionally morse code.  I did hear a noaa channel too.  I haven't been able to tell if I am connecting to any repeaters in my area.  I think some require tones and I don't know how to find out, then set up my radio to transmit the tones etc.  I don't have my licenses yet, I just want to listen for now.    help?

Tex
Link Posted: 1/10/2015 6:51:44 PM EDT
[#39]
Tag

Link Posted: 1/10/2015 6:57:25 PM EDT
[#40]
Originally Posted By TxLewis:
Tag

View Quote

Dis guy.  Eyy!

tag
Link Posted: 1/10/2015 7:04:01 PM EDT
[#41]

Originally Posted By TrueBlueTexan:

I got my Baofeng 5r2's a couple of days ago.  I followed jupiters instructions at the beginning of this thread and was able to save channels to my radio.  but when I scan all I can hear is static and occasionally morse code.  I did hear a noaa channel too.  I haven't been able to tell if I am connecting to any repeaters in my area.  I think some require tones and I don't know how to find out, then set up my radio to transmit the tones etc.  I don't have my licenses yet, I just want to listen for now.    help?

Tex
View Quote

Go to repeaterbook.com (they also have an app for both Android and iOS) and look up your local repeaters. Most will require a PL tone to activate the repeater (i.e., for you to transmit and have your signal repeated) but most do not have a tone on the output.

Link Posted: 1/10/2015 7:56:56 PM EDT
[#42]
Thanks got it.
Link Posted: 1/10/2015 7:57:16 PM EDT
[#43]
Link Posted: 2/10/2015 6:26:46 PM EDT
[Last Edit: PowerPointRanger] [#44]
For the folks who have recently bought UV-5R-series radios and having trouble with "having to hold MONI to hear anything, to include strong signals", your radio can be saved:

Full details at Miklor: brief summary below.

1: Uninstall CHIRP.
2: Download and install the 7-14-2014 Daily Build of CHIRP
3: Download the N5R-20 Reset image here.
4: Upload this image to your radio.
5: Uninstall CHIRP (yes, again)
6: Download and install the latest daily build of CHIRP.
7: Download the image from your radio
8: Make changes to that frequency table and upload to radio, but do NOT just write an old, saved image directly back - you'll get to do all that, all over again.

I've seen this twice locally in the last 24 hours. Frustrating, but completely solvable. Between Google, CHIRP and Miklor, enough folks run UV-5Rs to figure stuff out given enough time.

(Note: if you've got one of the "Tri-Power" rigs, you'll need the N5R-30 reset image.)
Link Posted: 2/11/2015 11:57:36 AM EDT
[#45]
Originally Posted By PowerPointRanger:
For the folks who have recently bought UV-5R-series radios and having trouble with "having to hold MONI to hear anything, to include strong signals", your radio can be saved[/span]
View Quote

Funny, I just returned a Baofeng to Amazon for that problem.  Only ever used it for tx, as a satellite uplink.  Had it for a month before I noticed it wouldn't rx.  The replacement worked fine.

Thanks for posting that info, never thought to check there.  I heard of at least one other local that had this problem.
Link Posted: 2/22/2015 2:17:12 PM EDT
[#46]
Jupiter, I want to say thank you for all the information you've put out in this thread.  I can honestly say I've read through it 3 times now.  Your Chirp programming was very helpful.
Link Posted: 2/22/2015 5:50:24 PM EDT
[#47]
You're very welcome!

Link Posted: 3/11/2015 9:35:11 AM EDT
[#48]
Is there a way to set your scan on your memory channels so that it won't scan all the programmed channels?
Link Posted: 3/11/2015 11:37:51 AM EDT
[#49]
Yes.  In CHIRP there is a column to the far right that says SKIP.  That skips that channel during
scanning.
Link Posted: 3/11/2015 11:43:20 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Jupiter7200] [#50]

Suggestions?
View Quote

Shorting from the tip of the large pin to the sleeve of the small pin will kick the UV-5R (or other radios using Kenwood type
wiring) into TX mode.
Page / 16
Baofeng UV-5R information (Page 9 of 16)
Top Top