BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 8
Link Posted: 5/29/2010 4:37:04 PM EDT
[#1]
Quoted:
BigDaddy...

Do you think you will need an additional rope to hold up the balun, to support the weight of the coax?  Do you have a convenient limb to hang it on?

AFM,
Yes, I do think I'll need that extra support rope.  I fought that darned thing for a couple of hours today.  First the east side went up fine, but the west side snagged some 25-30' saplings right over the balun.  So I tried lowering each side in turn to clear them.  No luck, yet.  I think the extra rope pulling directly up on top of the balun will help pull through the lower branches.  If not, I found my lumberjack shirt....

ETA:  I didn't spend as much time as I wanted on this project today because the XYL saw a new car she had to have.  
Link Posted: 5/29/2010 4:52:05 PM EDT
[#2]
Tell her you are busy being a man , the car can wait ..

Report back when XYL is gone .
Link Posted: 5/29/2010 6:41:54 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
Tell her you are busy being a man , the car can wait ..

Report back when XYL is gone .

THIS. radio>XYL.

i will now run and hide and hope MY XYL wont see this.
Link Posted: 5/30/2010 1:04:31 PM EDT
[#4]
The antenna is up.

Stealth Antenna Overview

East Support Tree

Center Support Tree

West Support Tree

West Support Tree Close Up

Balun and Coax

Balun West Looking East

Coax Coming Down Tree

East Antenna Support Rope, Insulator, Antenna

Between Fence and Woods

Link Posted: 5/30/2010 1:16:45 PM EDT
[#5]
It's about damned time!

Operational effectiveness report?
Link Posted: 5/30/2010 1:21:20 PM EDT
[#6]
Very cool construction thread you have going. The wire in the trees look great too! I wish I had to struggle with trees like that here behind my house.
Link Posted: 5/30/2010 1:28:58 PM EDT
[#7]

Now THIS is what you call "stealth"!!!

EAT ME, YOU HOA NAZIS!!!!!!

Congrats, BigDaddy!!!
Link Posted: 5/30/2010 1:34:54 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
It's about damned time!

Operational effectiveness report?

I haven't had a chance to play radio, yet!  I have to take my son to see "Prince of Persia" at the movies.  I'll post more later tonight.  

Quoted:
Very cool construction thread you have going. The wire in the trees look great too! I wish I had to struggle with trees like that here behind my house.

Thanks jaat13!  Another Indiana Ham!  
Link Posted: 5/30/2010 1:37:20 PM EDT
[#9]
Now if you could just spray paint the coax, and glue on some plastic leaves or something, it would look like a vine.

Link Posted: 5/30/2010 1:37:35 PM EDT
[#10]
Nice stealthy job....I want pics in winter when all the leaves fall off

Link Posted: 5/30/2010 5:07:35 PM EDT
[#11]
Looking good!
Link Posted: 5/30/2010 7:33:39 PM EDT
[#12]
Could your put up a ground mounted vertical antenna or would that be an HOA issue?
Link Posted: 5/30/2010 7:47:19 PM EDT
[#13]
I think it would have to be disguised as a flagpole or birdhouse.
Link Posted: 5/30/2010 10:46:46 PM EDT
[#14]
Excellent job Big Daddy!!!  AND––- In true Klingon fashion you have engaged the cloaking device!

You ROCK, Sir!
Link Posted: 5/31/2010 6:19:49 AM EDT
[#15]
Thanks for the comments, everyone.  
The antenna seems to be working well.  SWR is right at 1.0 as measured by the IC-703's built in meter.  I need to get a real analyzer.
Just made a good contact with the 14.300 INTERCON Net in NH, 783 miles bearing 70.4 degrees ENE using 10w.  With the East - West orientation of my antenna, I believe that's to one side of its main radiation lobes.
Link Posted: 5/31/2010 6:34:22 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
Just made a good contact with the 14.300 INTERCON Net in NH, 783 miles bearing 70.4 degrees ENE using 10w.  

that was me, ace.  and i'm just down the block from you, with another orange thing –– my trusty Stihl chainsaw.  ARFCOM thinks you have too many trees nearby.  

ar-jedi

ps
http://home.comcast.net/~gregbell/Between%20Fence%20and%20Woods.jpg
do you mow that area?  or is the coax now in the ground?  otherwise i would want to make sure the mower doesn't grab the antenna lead.
Link Posted: 5/31/2010 6:51:25 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Just made a good contact with the 14.300 INTERCON Net in NH, 783 miles bearing 70.4 degrees ENE using 10w.  

that was me, ace.  and i'm just down the block from you, with another orange thing –– my trusty Stihl chainsaw.  ARFCOM thinks you have too many trees nearby.  

ar-jedi

ps
http://home.comcast.net/~gregbell/Between%20Fence%20and%20Woods.jpg
do you mow that area?  or is the coax now in the ground?  otherwise i would want to make sure the mower doesn't grab the antenna lead.

Drop some Agent Orange in there, clear a field of fire!
Link Posted: 5/31/2010 7:07:07 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

I mowed it two days ago before the antenna coax was there.  It'll be buried across that path today.  
Link Posted: 5/31/2010 7:21:04 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
Drop some Agent Orange in there, clear a field of fire!

The Anti-Zombie claymores around the fence perimeter should work pretty well.  
Link Posted: 5/31/2010 8:02:38 AM EDT
[#20]
I'm planning on taking my 8' ladder back to the antenna support trees and securing the ropes up about 10' to keep them out of easy reach from any kids.

Originally Quoted By My XYL:
Honey, where are the chrome coat hooks that were in your office?

Link Posted: 5/31/2010 11:05:30 AM EDT
[#21]
First line of thunderstorms headed this way since the antenna went up.  This could be interesting.  
Link Posted: 5/31/2010 11:14:29 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
First line of thunderstorms headed this way since the antenna went up.  This could be interesting.  

lol on the hooks

I have bricks on my end ropes to prevent it from bouncing my dipole apart. Also helps with ice loads .
Link Posted: 5/31/2010 11:28:35 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
Quoted:

lol on the hooks

I have bricks on my end ropes to prevent it from bouncing my dipole apart. Also helps with ice loads .

I reduced the tension on the antenna support ropes some.  I'll add eye bolts to each of  the trees and attach trampoline springs between them and the antenna support ropes.  It's not going to happen before the storm, though.

ETA:  Came through like a champ.  
Link Posted: 6/1/2010 5:27:13 PM EDT
[#24]
I wanted to tidy up the ropes and keep them out of easy reach from any kids (or Zombies) that play in the woods.  The last 2 pics are a little over 10' feet high, on the back sides of the trees away from the houses.

7/16" x 5-1/4" Lag Screw Eyes - painted flat brown

1" x 12" x .105" Utility Extension Springs - painted flat brown

The pulley support rope is tied off to the lag screw eye.  Then the antenna support rope is tied to the spring, and then to the lag screw eye.  The springs should stretch when the trees sway in the wind and relieve some stress.  The coat hooks are from my shack/office just to hold the rope bundles.  

Link Posted: 6/1/2010 8:13:50 PM EDT
[#25]
Sounds and looks like mission accomplished. Glad to hear it made it through the storm. You've almost got me convinced I could do the same in my neighbors yard/trees and they'd be none the wiser lol. I'm almost to the point of plotting. They only come out of there house in the a.m. And I think they're eyes are still closed. As far as the coat hanger hooks, sounds like something I'd have to explain as I'm always the first to get questioned when something turns up missing errrrm, I mean put to good use around here as well. Btw S.E Indiana here about 35 miles west of cincy, right in the middle of the gambling boats.
Link Posted: 6/3/2010 11:15:01 AM EDT
[#26]
Regarding storms, I can recall my first experience long ago with a wire antenna. It was late one night and I was in bed and a thunder storm was approaching. I always kept my antennas disconnected but the leads were usually dangling behind the table. Anyway, I kept hearing this random tick, tick noise, and it was driving me nuts. I finally rolled over to see the arc jumping from the antenna lead to the screw that held the phone jack in the wall

Now all antennas that are not DC shorted to ground either have the leads tossed out the window when not in use or are attached to a grounded SO-239.  

Nice job on the camouflage & install. So with the spiffy Emcomm box and the covert antenna behind you, what are you going to do for an encore?

Link Posted: 6/3/2010 12:46:44 PM EDT
[#27]

Quoted:

Regarding storms, I can recall my first experience long ago with a wire antenna. It was late one night and I was in bed and a thunder storm was approaching. I always kept my antennas disconnected but the leads were usually dangling behind the table. Anyway, I kept hearing this random tick, tick noise, and it was driving me nuts. I finally rolled over to see the arc jumping from the antenna lead to the screw that held the phone jack in the wall

Now all antennas that are not DC shorted to ground either have the leads tossed out the window when not in use or are attached to a grounded SO-239.  

Nice job on the camouflage & install. So with the spiffy Emcomm box and the covert antenna behind you, what are you going to do for an encore?
This is why all of my antennas feed thru an I.C.E. dc shunted lightening protectors. That charge build up can also happen during high wind or low humidity situations.

This type of charge will cause ground to cloud discharges.

Link Posted: 6/3/2010 1:40:18 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

Thanks.  I still need to trench in the coax and ground the whole station and antenna as you said.  I have been disconnecting the short BNC jumper from the PL-259 to the Emcomm box, and leaving it hanging outside the shack window when not in use.
And then I'll move on to selecting a base radio.  
Link Posted: 6/3/2010 1:44:19 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
This is why all of my antennas feed thru an I.C.E. dc shunted lightening protectors.

I've been following along with the recent lightning protection / shack grounding threads.  That's next on the list, I think.  
Link Posted: 6/3/2010 2:15:34 PM EDT
[#30]

Quoted:

Quoted:

This is why all of my antennas feed thru an I.C.E. dc shunted lightening protectors.

I've been following along with the recent lightning protection / shack grounding threads.  That's next on the list, I think.  

I need to take and post up some pics of the mounting plate with ground rod I use as a central point of all my coax.

Link Posted: 6/23/2010 2:13:05 AM EDT
[#31]

I use one of these for my central grounding point.

http://www.rlham.com/cgi-bin/shop/modellookup.dbw?MODEL=43950
Link Posted: 6/23/2010 8:24:32 AM EDT
[#32]

How and where do you have this wired in, please, K9-Bob?
Link Posted: 7/13/2010 7:08:04 PM EDT
[#33]
Had a nice quiet night at home, the wife and kids went to bed early.  So I made a new UnUn for the portable HF antenna in a handy take-home size.  

Link Posted: 7/13/2010 7:53:44 PM EDT
[#34]
Very nice ....... I have very little "free" time so I hate you for this .
Link Posted: 7/13/2010 7:53:44 PM EDT
[#35]
Link Posted: 7/13/2010 8:26:22 PM EDT
[#36]

nice work!  a quick comment for your next project... in general, when connecting RF circuits via point -to-point coaxial cable –– try to keep the coax braid uniformly around the center conductor for as long as possible.  this provides constant impedance and less crosstalk.  in the construction illustrated below, bend the BNC metal ground tab until it is parallel with the BNC center conductor.  the coaxial cable then continues "as a coax" right up until the last moment, when the braid is tied off to one side onto the BNC metal ground tab.  in theory, you should only end up with about 1/4" of exposed center conductor.  i use the term "exposed" here in the RF sense (the center conductor has no braid cover), not the sense that there is exposed metallic conductor.  

ar-jedi

Quoted:

Link Posted: 7/13/2010 8:41:22 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:

Thanks, Hawk_308.  Late night soldering while watching the "Firefly" Sci-Fi series.  Life is good!  

Quoted:

nice work!  a quick comment for your next project... in general, when connecting RF circuits via point -to-point coaxial cable –– try to keep the coax braid uniformly around the center conductor for as long as possible.  this provides constant impedance and less crosstalk.  in the construction illustrated below, bend the BNC metal ground tab until it is parallel with the BNC center conductor.  the coaxial cable then continues "as a coax" right up until the last moment, when the braid is tied off to one side onto the BNC metal ground tab.  in theory, you should only end up with about 1/4" of exposed center conductor.  i use the term "exposed" here in the RF sense (the center conductor has no braid cover), not the sense that there is exposed metallic conductor.  

ar-jedi

http://losdos.dyndns.org/public/misc/AltoidsUnUn5-annotated.jpg

Thanks ar-jedi.  That makes sense to me.  I think I'll re-do it that way.  My soldering skills are getting a little better with each project.  
Link Posted: 7/14/2010 12:35:44 AM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
Late night soldering while watching the "Firefly" Sci-Fi series.  Life is good!  

Shiney!!!!

<––-I named them "Jayne" and "Kaylee"!!!  (Orneriest dogs in the whole 'ruttin 'verse!)

Keep aiming to misbehave!!! (I do)

Link Posted: 7/14/2010 6:38:00 AM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
That makes sense to me.

your goal is to minimize the area "inside" the separated center conductor and braid.  the larger that area is, the better the loop antenna you have, and the worse your noise/crosstalk/coupling/etc problems will be.  compare the areas in the two pictures above.

you can even cut the already-very-much-reduced area in the second pic in half by getting two more nuts and using them to lock the ground tab out at the back end of the threaded barrel.  now cut the ground tab pretty short, and keep the braid short as well.

ar-jedi

Link Posted: 7/14/2010 8:05:28 AM EDT
[#40]
Linky for the toroid??    how many turns did u use?

Nice!

Added to my growing project list....

Link Posted: 7/14/2010 8:16:09 AM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
Linky for the toroid??    how many turns did u use?

Nice!

Added to my growing project list....

Thanks Mndless.  Link to my 1st UnUn in this thread.

KC8AON's UnUn link.  

T130-2 core with 18 Bifilar turns of 20awg wire.
Link Posted: 7/14/2010 10:15:44 AM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
Quoted:
That makes sense to me.

your goal is to minimize the area "inside" the separated center conductor and braid.  the larger that area is, the better the loop antenna you have, and the worse your noise/crosstalk/coupling/etc problems will be.  compare the areas in the two pictures above.

you can even cut the already-very-much-reduced area in the second pic in half by getting two more nuts and using them to lock the ground tab out at the back end of the threaded barrel.  now cut the ground tab pretty short, and keep the braid short as well.

ar-jedi

This will be tonight's project.  

Link Posted: 7/14/2010 10:33:18 AM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:
This will be tonight's project.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V83JR2IoI8k

"Good heavens Miss Sakamoto - you're beautiful!"
I don't believe it!
There she goes again!
She's tidied up, and I can't find anything!
All my tubes and wires
And careful notes
And antiquated notions

btw, everyone should read this:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Magnus_Pyke

ar-jedi
Link Posted: 7/14/2010 3:32:01 PM EDT
[#44]
That makes a lot neater installation.  

Link Posted: 7/14/2010 4:35:55 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:
http://home.comcast.net/~gregbell/Altoids UnUn Redo 7.jpg

"NASA-grade / man-rated", that how it looks it to me.  

ar-jedi
Link Posted: 7/14/2010 5:30:44 PM EDT
[#46]
triple nut BNC is the schnittzz...  
Link Posted: 7/14/2010 5:48:28 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:
triple nut BNC is the schnittzz...  

IIRC, Dr. Evil had triple nuts, also....Release the Meteor!  
Link Posted: 7/14/2010 9:29:52 PM EDT
[#48]
Yall are killing me .... or maybe its because I just finished another 18+ hour work day.
Link Posted: 7/15/2010 4:56:55 AM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:
Quoted:
http://home.comcast.net/~gregbell/Altoids UnUn Redo 7.jpg

"NASA-grade / man-rated", that how it looks it to me.  

ar-jedi

Tested the new UnUn with my emergency / field antenna setup consisting of a 50' 26awg wire sloping up to a 20' crappie pole + counterpoise at the rear fence line of our home.  5-5 signal report on 20m from KB5YQ in Texas with 10w.
I keep this antenna deployed along the top of the 6' privacy fence with the telescoping crappie pole collapsed and stowed.  That way, if a storm takes out the primary HF antenna in the trees, I still have HF comm available.   A 50' BNC on a cable reel connects the UnUn to the Emcomm Box through the shack window.

Link Posted: 7/15/2010 6:05:02 AM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Late night soldering while watching the "Firefly" Sci-Fi series.  Life is good!  

Shiney!!!!

<––-I named them "Jayne" and "Kaylee"!!!  (Orneriest dogs in the whole 'ruttin 'verse!)

Variable556, you named your real dogs "Jayne" and "Kaylee" ?  Now that's Shiny!  
Page / 8
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top