Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 8
Link Posted: 5/8/2010 4:35:59 PM EDT
[#1]
Quoted:
Good grief!!!  Now I'm going to have to make one of those too.  I really need to stop reading this board.  My house is so crammed full of stuff my wife wants to kill me.LOL   Great idea!!!

My wife was out in the back yard yesterday and asked, "What's the fishing pole in the corner of the yard with the little thin wire stretching up to it?  Another reason to get the Carolina Windom antenna into the trees, out of sight.  
Link Posted: 5/8/2010 8:54:50 PM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

I use a crossbow-pistol with a little zebco ultra-light reel. I drilled a hole on the rear end of the bolts to tie the line to.

Use the same proceedure as above.

Works fine.

Another good idea. I've seen these on Ebay.

When I first got the crossbow, I fired a loose bolt up over a tree I was wanting to get my antenna up into.......man that thing is powerful....the bolt went clear out of sight. Trailing monofilliment line slows it down enough to be usable,,,and still get over a 100' vertical object.

Good grief!!! Now I'm going to have to make one of those too. I really need to stop reading this board. My house is so crammed full of stuff my wife wants to kill me.LOL Great idea!!!

Dibs on all yer stuff!!

Link Posted: 5/8/2010 10:35:24 PM EDT
[#3]
All this stuff about antenna line launching and everyone is doing it the hard way not the typical ARFCOM fashion.

ARFCOM way: 37MM M203 Grenade Launcher. You will have to reload your own 37mm shells.

There is info on the net about reloading your own line launching shells.

I have been giving thought to buying one of spikes stand-a-lone 37mm launchers to put int he go kit with the EMCOMM box.

"No sir that is not a weapon that is a line launcher"

I know that is very extreme as most EMCOMM  antenna will be installed at height of less than 30 feet. It is just part of being prepared for anything.
Link Posted: 5/9/2010 5:03:06 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
All this stuff about antenna line launching and everyone is doing it the hard way not the typical ARFCOM fashion.

ARFCOM way: 37MM M203 Grenade Launcher. You will have to reload your own 37mm shells.

There is info on the net about reloading your own line launching shells.

I have been giving thought to buying one of spikes stand-a-lone 37mm launchers to put int he go kit with the EMCOMM box.

"No sir that is not a weapon that is a line launcher"

I know that is very extreme as most EMCOMM  antenna will be installed at height of less than 30 feet. It is just part of being prepared for anything.

I can see it now....It would look like the troops blowing down "Home Tree" in Avatar!  

Link Posted: 5/11/2010 6:26:46 AM EDT
[#5]
A slingshot with about a 3/4 oz. sinker and 20lb test fishing line.....be discrete.

Link Posted: 5/12/2010 12:09:21 PM EDT
[#6]
{grumbling}  &$^#*  Wish BigDaddy would get his act together, the %*!^& suspense is killing me.{/grumbling}
Link Posted: 5/12/2010 1:05:07 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
{grumbling}  &$^#*  Wish BigDaddy would get his act together, the %*!^& suspense is killing me.{/grumbling}

Originally Posted BigDaddy0004:
{grumbling}  &$^#*  Stupid income and property taxes delaying me from completing the latest phase of Radio Wonderland.  {/grumbling}
Link Posted: 5/15/2010 5:51:12 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
A slingshot with about a 3/4 oz. sinker and 20lb test fishing line.....be discrete.

http://airgunstyle.com/images/daisy-slingshot-b52.jpg  

Good idea K9-Bob.  

Link Posted: 5/16/2010 6:15:08 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

uhhh, the Class 3 forum is that way ––––––––––––->

ar-jedi
Link Posted: 5/16/2010 6:19:10 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

uhhh, the Class 3 forum is that way ––––––––––––->

ar-jedi

It's a single-shot, but it is suppressed.  
Link Posted: 5/16/2010 6:34:47 AM EDT
[#11]
Wonder could it be used later to hunt down squirrels and then reel em back in???? LOL
Link Posted: 5/16/2010 6:50:18 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Wonder could it be used later to hunt down squirrels and then reel em back in???? LOL

Bet it would work!  

ETA:  First shot went over the 40' branch perfectly!  Stay tuned for pics....
Link Posted: 5/16/2010 9:57:08 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
ETA:  First shot went over the 40' branch perfectly!  Stay tuned for pics....

in before "Shortly afterwards, three agents from the BATF showed up at my house..."

good knowing you! say hi to Lady Gaga for me.  

ar-jedi
Link Posted: 5/16/2010 10:21:34 AM EDT
[#14]
That's BATF"S" for Slingshots!  
Link Posted: 5/16/2010 11:05:43 AM EDT
[#15]
Pics or it didn't happen, you say?  

Sophie

The square reflectors on the trees are for photo and range-finding purposes.
The support trees are 72' apart per my Leica Laser Range Finder.

East Support Tree

West Support Tree

The limbs the pulley support ropes are over are 40' tall.

Link Posted: 5/16/2010 11:48:28 AM EDT
[#16]
Was Tactical Lab having fun?

OK, waiting for reports on the QSO's.

(Jeopardy Music playing in background)
Link Posted: 5/16/2010 11:53:49 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
Was Tactical Lab having fun?

OK, waiting for reports on the QSO's.

(Jeopardy Music playing in background)

I don't know who had the most fun, me or my Tactical Lab, "Sophie"!  She ran all around the woods, through the creek about a hundred times!  The antenna is not up yet.  The foliage is pretty heavy between the support trees and may need to be pruned a bit.
Link Posted: 5/16/2010 11:53:53 AM EDT
[#18]
Poor dog , on several levels

Nice work , Im working on several Ham projects today , and camper projects and my garden and ............ I got to be ADD lol

Ill start a thread with one of my projects soon .

Link Posted: 5/16/2010 3:25:41 PM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:

Quoted:

http://airgunstyle.com/images/daisy-slingshot-b52.jpg  

Good idea K9-Bob.  

http://home.comcast.net/~gregbell/My Antenna Launcher.jpg
NFA violation for sure!

Link Posted: 5/16/2010 5:46:58 PM EDT
[#20]
With all that foliage... what antenna?
Link Posted: 5/16/2010 6:03:35 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
With all that foliage... what antenna?

Yeah, I think it'll be pretty hard to see, once it's up.  
You know, the hardest part of today's project was keeping the 550 cord from getting tangled as I was pulling it up with the fishing line.  It must have gotten tangled a half dozen times.  And if anyone else is thinking of trying this, I recommend using 20 lb. fishing line like K9-Bob advised.  I had to redo a couple of slingshot launches because the 10 lb. line that was pre-wound on my reel broke as I was pulling up the 550 cord.  DOH!
Link Posted: 5/16/2010 6:08:16 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
I had to redo a couple of slingshot launches because the 10 lb. line that was pre-wound on my reel broke as I was pulling up the 550 cord.  DOH!

landlubbers, i swear.  SET THE DRAG, DAMMIT!  you can catch a 500 pound fish on 10 pound line.  

ar-jedi

Link Posted: 5/16/2010 6:17:15 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
Quoted:
I had to redo a couple of slingshot launches because the 10 lb. line that was pre-wound on my reel broke as I was pulling up the 550 cord.  DOH!

landlubbers, i swear.  SET THE DRAG, DAMMIT!  you can catch a 500 pound fish on 10 pound line.  

ar-jedi

A 500 pound fish will get tired after awhile and give up.  That 5 billion pound tree the line is snagged on don't get tired!  
Link Posted: 5/25/2010 2:14:17 PM EDT
[#24]
The Big Brown Truck brought more stuff today.  
200' of DavisRF's 9914F Bury-Flex coax and Amphenol PL259s.

Link Posted: 5/25/2010 2:53:30 PM EDT
[#25]
Too funny.....I was just about to order that EXACT config from the wireman today.....200' of bury-flex and some pl-259's.

I'm not copying,....I promise....
Link Posted: 5/25/2010 2:54:36 PM EDT
[#26]
You need my shipping address to forward it all to?

I just got in 150 feet of 8x and ends for field use.
Link Posted: 5/25/2010 4:05:42 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
Too funny.....I was just about to order that EXACT config from the wireman today.....200' of bury-flex and some pl-259's.

I'm not copying,....I promise....

No problem!   I was going to go with LMR400, but Steve K9ZW mentioned he used the Bury-Flex in a similar application, so how could I we go wrong?  
Link Posted: 5/25/2010 4:08:50 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
You need my shipping address to forward it all to?

I just got in 150 feet of 8x and ends for field use.

Wow, it's been a good week for coax sales, huh?  
Link Posted: 5/25/2010 5:09:25 PM EDT
[#29]
Should have done a arfcom group buy lol
Link Posted: 5/28/2010 6:20:40 AM EDT
[#30]
More related thread linking....PL-259 Soldering  
Link Posted: 5/28/2010 6:57:08 AM EDT
[#31]
apologize if i missed it in earlier post, but  what brand / make coax cutting / trim tool is that?

thanks, mv
Link Posted: 5/28/2010 8:35:38 AM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
apologize if i missed it in earlier post, but  what brand / make coax cutting / trim tool is that?

thanks, mv

I have no idea.  I borrowed this from a friend and did not use it because the OD of coax I bought was too large for it.  I just used a razor knife to cut through the coax jacket, shield mesh, foil and insulator.  A fancy tool isn't needed at all.  

Link Posted: 5/28/2010 9:02:10 AM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
A fancy tool isn't needed at all.

ban him.  
right now.
do it.

ar-jedi
Link Posted: 5/28/2010 9:24:42 AM EDT
[#34]
I an thinking of trying one of these fancy tools.

Fancy Tool

Link Posted: 5/28/2010 12:56:50 PM EDT
[#35]
Any idea on how well 550 cord holds up to the weather?
Link Posted: 5/28/2010 12:57:58 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
Quoted:

ban him.  
right now.
do it.

ar-jedi

Errr, what I meant to say was it's an [Marvin the Martian Voice] Illudium PU-36 Explosive Space Modulator.[/Marvin the Martian Voice]

Hyper expensive and damn near impossible to find, but the correct tool for PL-259 installation.  For real Operator use, only.  
Link Posted: 5/28/2010 1:03:32 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:

I've had 550 cords tying down a tarp over firewood all winter with no damage to them.  They're pretty tough!  That's what I plan on using for the center support for the antenna that's going up this weekend.
Here's a direct link to the part of the thread where this was discussed.  550 Cord Discussion
Link Posted: 5/28/2010 1:13:58 PM EDT
[#38]
Ive had fake 550 holding a 80m dipole up for 2 years......
Link Posted: 5/28/2010 1:14:15 PM EDT
[#39]

Quoted:

Quoted:

I've had 550 cords tying down a tarp over firewood all winter with no damage to them.  They're pretty tough!  That's what I plan on using for the center support for the antenna that's going up this weekend.

Here's a direct link to the part of the thread where this was discussed.  550 Cord Discussion

Then I'll give it a try, I've got a ZS6BKW wire antenna to put up.

Link Posted: 5/28/2010 5:07:36 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:

Yes.

Holds up VERY well.  Black disappears in the foliage in the background.
Link Posted: 5/28/2010 5:12:05 PM EDT
[#41]
OK....Here's the latest update on the antenna.

• The east (41' long) end of the antenna is up at it's 40 foot tall branch and in the clear.

• The west (25' long) end of the antenna is up at it's 40 foot tall branch.  Still need to maneuver around some 15-20' tall saplings.

• The Balun is sagging down about ten feet off the ground because the coax is not attached yet.  The light is failing fast, so it'll have to wait until tomorrow.

Link Posted: 5/28/2010 5:51:35 PM EDT
[#42]
(Jeopardy music playing while we wait)
Link Posted: 5/28/2010 6:54:51 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:
I an thinking of trying one of these fancy tools.
Fancy Tool

http://www.dxengineering.com/images/prod/dxe-ut-8213.jpg

Did you watch How to use the DXE-UT-8213 Coaxial Cable Stripping Tool - Video?  

Quoted:

I want one, too!  
Link Posted: 5/28/2010 8:48:48 PM EDT
[#44]
Link Posted: 5/29/2010 11:16:02 AM EDT
[#45]
Cell phone pics, sorry for lousy quality.

Balun Teflon Tape

Balun Mox Tape

Balun Heat Shrink Before

Balun Heat Shrink After

Link Posted: 5/29/2010 1:30:25 PM EDT
[#46]

FYI –– i called it in.  i know, i suck, but i had to do it.

SWAT and the bomb squad will be showing up there in 3 ... 2 ... 1 ...

good luck, please hide that nice looking dog.

ar-jedi

ps:
re: http://home.comcast.net/~gregbell/Digital%20Netbook%20Overview.jpg

now that you've been operating a couple of months, made some contacts, etc, what would you do differently?
Link Posted: 5/29/2010 3:41:00 PM EDT
[#47]
THAT is a very good question.

On the other hand, it looks like BigDaddy's looked at what others were doing, avoided dead ends and tangents, looked over things that would best fit his interests and abilities, and combined/adapted the best of what he's seen very wisely.

That's cool!
Link Posted: 5/29/2010 3:43:42 PM EDT
[#48]

BigDaddy...

Do you think you will need an additional rope to hold up the balun, to support the weight of the coax?  Do you have a convenient limb to hang it on?
Link Posted: 5/29/2010 4:11:16 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:
now that you've been operating a couple of months, made some contacts, etc, what would you do differently?

Well, as you and many others have said, a QRP radio for the first HF radio isn't the easiest road to take.  I can see how some might become frustrated with hearing contacts that can't hear you.  That being said, it did make it a big incentive for me to learn CW.  And that was something that I wanted to do for a long time.  Some of the mistakes I've made in the last couple of months have turned into great learning opportunities (the "Double FacePalm Balun Fiasco").

I don't think I'd change a thing or do anything differently.  It's been a ton of fun!  
Link Posted: 5/29/2010 4:23:45 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:
THAT is a very good question.

On the other hand, it looks like BigDaddy's looked at what others were doing, avoided dead ends and tangents, looked over things that would best fit his interests and abilities, and combined/adapted the best of what he's seen very wisely.

That's cool!

You know, there are a great bunch of folks here that will help new hams anyway they can.  I sure do appreciate all who have given me advice along the way.  
Page / 8
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top