Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 104
Link Posted: 4/24/2017 11:51:07 AM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By Muad:
Indeed. Plus, those newer tractors are spendy!!!
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By Its_The_Kid:

Heard a few farmers complain about the newer cases just throwing random faults for no reason the last few years....

That's why id rather stick with tried and true old iron lol
Indeed. Plus, those newer tractors are spendy!!!
Yeah, no joke! More parts, more potential for problems plus working long hours seasonally cannot be good for computer pieces. This tractor should last until my dad and uncle retire (about 15 years).  Our 7220 was traded to get this new one, it had ~780 hours on it.
Link Posted: 4/24/2017 12:24:15 PM EDT
[#2]
Originally Posted By sea2summit:

I wish I had cool friends that would loan implements
View Quote
It's pretty cool to have friends with 3pt tools.    I'm really lucky there are 4/5 guys in my neighborhood with tractors of varying sizes we all share implements when needed.
Link Posted: 4/24/2017 3:05:35 PM EDT
[#3]

I wish I had cool friends that would loan implements
View Quote
Find some land in Ohio, and you'll have one 
Link Posted: 4/24/2017 3:07:57 PM EDT
[#4]
Originally Posted By sparkyD:

We have always had better luck with a clean seed bed than trying to notill alfalfa. But then again we don't have enough flat well drained land.
View Quote
This is my first time sowing seed. 

My FIL told me to burn it off with roundup, but we are looking to get certified organic at some point. So, that wasn't an option. There's a good stand of grass already, and I'm shooting for an alfalfa/grass mix. So, this was the best option, save working up the entire field and starting over from scratch (which I don't have the equipment to do that work yet anyhow). 
Link Posted: 4/24/2017 7:51:55 PM EDT
[#5]
First mowing of the dirt this season with my co pilot
Link Posted: 4/24/2017 8:53:21 PM EDT
[#6]
First mowing of the dirt this season with my co pilot
http://i1274.photobucket.com/albums/y433/sea2summit/IMG_2543_zpsujpjr8ix.jpg
View Quote
That Kubota rear end doe... 
Link Posted: 4/24/2017 8:56:32 PM EDT
[#7]
That Kubota rear end doe... 
View Quote
The BH subframe makes it look funny....or you talking about something else
Link Posted: 4/24/2017 10:34:17 PM EDT
[#8]

The BH subframe makes it look funny....or you talking about something else
View Quote
The stance of the tires, etc. 
Link Posted: 4/24/2017 10:49:49 PM EDT
[#9]
Originally Posted By IronKnight:
Tore up ground today with the new toy.  Did have an engine fault sensor go off.  Fixed it by turning it off and back on again. 

http://i138.photobucket.com/albums/q249/IronKnight_photos/235%20and%20cultivator.jpg
View Quote
Nice!! Same size as my FIL owns...
Link Posted: 4/24/2017 11:09:35 PM EDT
[#10]

My FIL told me to burn it off with roundup, but we are looking to get certified organic at some point. So, that wasn't an option. There's a good stand of grass already, and I'm shooting for an alfalfa/grass mix. So, this was the best option, save working up the entire field and starting over from scratch (which I don't have the equipment to do that work yet anyhow). 
View All Quotes

We have always had better luck with a clean seed bed than trying to notill alfalfa. But then again we don't have enough flat well drained land.

You might get a mop if the grass starts to get ahead of the alfalfa. You will probably need to reseed this fall and next spring. It's a lot of work getting legumes to mix well with grass.
Link Posted: 4/24/2017 11:23:46 PM EDT
[#11]
Link Posted: 4/24/2017 11:32:56 PM EDT
[#12]
Link Posted: 4/24/2017 11:33:47 PM EDT
[#13]
Link Posted: 4/25/2017 7:00:51 AM EDT
[#14]
The stance of the tires, etc. 
View Quote
So flat here I never adjusted them out, think I can push them 3" each way.  So judgmental
Link Posted: 4/25/2017 7:01:53 AM EDT
[#15]
Originally Posted By Kitties-with-Sigs:

yeah, I'm thinkin that shirt is a lie. She's Daddy's lil girl, and the pink headphones prove it.
View Quote
It's our little secret
Link Posted: 4/25/2017 7:13:32 AM EDT
[#16]

You might get a mop if the grass starts to get ahead of the alfalfa. You will probably need to reseed this fall and next spring. It's a lot of work getting legumes to mix well with grass.
View Quote
I hope not, but we shall see. 

I went over the field twice, so the openers on the planter "cut" the grass up pretty good. I'm hoping that will help give the alfalfa a chance. 
Link Posted: 4/25/2017 7:16:53 AM EDT
[#17]

Is there a good market for alfalfa/grass mix?

And is your grass fescue?

Sorry if that's a dumb question.  I've just never seen anybody no-til alfalfa into existing grass.  Very interested in how you do, and a big toast to you for the work it takes to get certified organic. That's a lot of hoops to jump through.
View Quote
I'm not 100% on what grass is there, although my egronomist said the heads looked like fescue. I intended for an Orchard grass alfalfa mix. If this alfalfa doesn't take well, I'll till it all in this fall and reseed with the mix I want. 

Thanks, I've never seen anyone do this either. We shall see if my hard work pays off. 

There re is a market for the mix hay, and I personally like it better for our goats vs straight alfalfa. They seem to eat more and waste less hay with a good mix, over the straight alfalfa. I hate seeing hay wasted. 
Link Posted: 4/25/2017 7:21:21 AM EDT
[#18]
Attachment Attached File

Grandson Asher
Link Posted: 4/25/2017 7:37:29 AM EDT
[#19]
Originally Posted By rleonard:
https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/125209/Asher-4-12-17-194928.JPG

Grandson Asher
View Quote
Proof that it's a natural instinct to understand how fun tractors are.
Link Posted: 4/25/2017 8:50:45 AM EDT
[#20]

I'm not 100% on what grass is there, although my egronomist said the heads looked like fescue. I intended for an Orchard grass alfalfa mix. If this alfalfa doesn't take well, I'll till it all in this fall and reseed with the mix I want. 

Thanks, I've never seen anyone do this either. We shall see if my hard work pays off. 

There re is a market for the mix hay, and I personally like it better for our goats vs straight alfalfa. They seem to eat more and waste less hay with a good mix, over the straight alfalfa. I hate seeing hay wasted. 
View Quote
All the people I know drilled it into a warm season grass to have less competition. Be careful not to get mold going on your horse hay. It's hard to get grass dry enough to keep the leafs from shattering on the alfalfa. But if it's going for cattle silage wrap it and go you won't be able to beat it for a ration base.
Link Posted: 4/25/2017 9:59:54 PM EDT
[#21]
I haz parts! Hey Kitties, wanna come over and help? Education and shit.

Link Posted: 4/25/2017 10:05:34 PM EDT
[#22]
Didn't get any pictures, will next time but:
- cleaned out all the goat pens
- moved a bunch of crap to the burn pile
-ripped out an old stump and leveled the yard 
- box bladed the driveway

it was awesome, I feel like I am gonna get a lot of use out of this little tractor
Link Posted: 4/26/2017 5:57:35 AM EDT
[#23]
Originally Posted By kaizer27:

it was awesome, I feel like I am gonna get a lot of use out of this little tractor
View Quote

Remember, keep it greesed and if you got a bigger one it wouldn't be big enough
Link Posted: 4/26/2017 6:21:23 AM EDT
[#24]

All the people I know drilled it into a warm season grass to have less competition. Be careful not to get mold going on your horse hay. It's hard to get grass dry enough to keep the leafs from shattering on the alfalfa. But if it's going for cattle silage wrap it and go you won't be able to beat it for a ration base.
View Quote
Copy that, thanks for the tips! 
Link Posted: 4/26/2017 6:21:44 AM EDT
[#25]
Originally Posted By ejeviking:
I haz parts! Hey Kitties, wanna come over and help? Education and shit.

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/395027/20170425-195949-195443.jpghttps://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/395027/20170425-195922-195442.jpg
View Quote
Looks like fun. 
Link Posted: 4/26/2017 6:22:08 AM EDT
[#26]

View Quote
There are rulez you know 
Link Posted: 4/26/2017 1:10:57 PM EDT
[#27]
The wife spent a week at her dads helping him with calving and running the fertilizer tender in the fields, and brought home an old 6ft rear blade that has been sitting in the trees at the farm forever.  He remembers using it as a kid, and is in his mid 50's now,  so it's been around a while.  But it is certainly built a lot heavier than the ones you can buy nowadays,  and has a custom rock box for extra weight.

Surprisingly it hooked right up to the quick hitch with no modifications.  I'll get some new lower pins and put the bushings on when I finish working on it.

Everything that should move is locked up with rust so it's soaking with liquid wrench right now.  I'll clean it up with a wire wheel and give it a new coat of paint once I can get it apart.

Link Posted: 4/26/2017 1:52:42 PM EDT
[#28]
Originally Posted By SDeadeye:
The wife spent a week at her dads helping him with calving and running the fertilizer tender in the fields, and brought home an old 6ft rear blade that has been sitting in the trees at the farm forever.  He remembers using it as a kid, and is in his mid 50's now,  so it's been around a while.  But it is certainly built a lot heavier than the ones you can buy nowadays,  and has a custom rock box for extra weight.

Surprisingly it hooked right up to the quick hitch with no modifications.  I'll get some new lower pins and put the bushings on when I finish working on it.

http://i904.photobucket.com/albums/ac250/mh2742/20170425_182552_zpsok10soqk.jpg

Everything that should move is locked up with rust so it's soaking with liquid wrench right now.  I'll clean it up with a wire wheel and give it a new coat of paint once I can get it apart.

http://i904.photobucket.com/albums/ac250/mh2742/20170425_183902_zpsnqpiaunz.jpg

http://i904.photobucket.com/albums/ac250/mh2742/20170425_183923_zpsf2o2hctu.jpg

http://i904.photobucket.com/albums/ac250/mh2742/20170425_183909_zpsdrvr9nqk.jpg
View Quote
Score!  Very nice.

Hijack but what roll cage is that on your rzr?
Link Posted: 4/26/2017 2:17:35 PM EDT
[#29]
It's the stock cage with a Tusk cage extension/rack from Rocky Mtn. ATV.  It was handy when we lived in Nevada and had hundreds of miles of desert and mountains to ride around in.  Now I just use the Rzr for pulling the drag around the driveway and pulling a sprayer around the yard.

Link Posted: 4/26/2017 8:31:16 PM EDT
[#30]

There are rulez you know 
View Quote
Yeah, you guys are gonna throw me out of this thread.  I box bladed the hell out of the driveway tonight based on some tips I have been reading on tractorbynet, came out pretty good and much better than my first attempt.  I got zero pics and then ran out of light.
Link Posted: 4/26/2017 8:36:15 PM EDT
[#31]
Yeah, you guys are gonna throw me out of this thread.  I box bladed the hell out of the driveway tonight based on some tips I have been reading on tractorbynet, came out pretty good and much better than my first attempt.  I got zero pics and then ran out of light.
View Quote
Always take before and after pics...if nothing else their for the insurance guy when your explaining how half your wife's car got drug down and then half buried in the driveway
Link Posted: 4/26/2017 9:12:26 PM EDT
[Last Edit: kaizer27] [#32]

Always take before and after pics...if nothing else their for the insurance guy when your explaining how half your wife's car got drug down and then half buried in the driveway
View Quote
I am fortunate, I have a pregnant wife who went crazy today so I sent her out with friends... no wife car and no witnesses to my jacked up 2nd effort at tractoring.

just me and the dogs
Link Posted: 4/26/2017 9:15:24 PM EDT
[#33]
Link Posted: 4/26/2017 9:18:23 PM EDT
[#34]
Link Posted: 4/26/2017 9:19:51 PM EDT
[#35]

Oh helz to the yeah.

Especially alfalfa.

Around here (horse country) good alfalfa costs more than good gold.  
View Quote
I think I can get a bale of Maui Gold cheaper than a bale of good alfalfa.
Link Posted: 4/26/2017 9:21:10 PM EDT
[#36]
Link Posted: 4/26/2017 9:28:13 PM EDT
[#37]
Not today but this one gets light use, pull manure trailer, and occasionally old figgity dodges that won't crank
Link Posted: 4/26/2017 10:08:36 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Kitties-with-Sigs] [#38]
Link Posted: 4/26/2017 10:49:20 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Kitties-with-Sigs] [#39]
Edited my post out--wrong thread--Kitties

Oh look, scrap iron
Link Posted: 4/26/2017 10:53:14 PM EDT
[#40]
Originally Posted By SDeadeye:
It's the stock cage with a Tusk cage extension/rack from Rocky Mtn. ATV.  It was handy when we lived in Nevada and had hundreds of miles of desert and mountains to ride around in.  Now I just use the Rzr for pulling the drag around the driveway and pulling a sprayer around the yard.

http://i904.photobucket.com/albums/ac250/mh2742/Mobile%20Uploads/IMG_20140907_160011_713_zpsk1dpb119.jpg
View Quote
I see your SBS and raise you.....another SBS This the bossmans doh, but we use it alot around the shop when they need to do something in the woods
Link Posted: 4/27/2017 7:50:42 PM EDT
[Last Edit: TN-MadDog] [#41]
I have been using an old pallet as a platform on my fork attachment but wanted something a little bigger and stronger to use for various projects.

Basically made a heavy duty pallet.

I had my 16 gallon sprayer on it yesterday out spot spraying fire ants.

The ants are really bad this year and I need to broadcast some bait but haven't had a chance yet.

I have a nice spreader set up for bait made to go on the back of an ATV but I sold my four wheeler.

I have the remains of an old sprayer that was made to go on the three point hitch.

I plan to cut it up and fabricate some sort of mount for the spreader. Wish I had a welder but don't.

Will have to figure out something using bolts.

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 4/27/2017 8:11:05 PM EDT
[#42]
Originally Posted By TN-MadDog:
I have been using an old pallet as a platform on my fork attachment but wanted something a little bigger and stronger to use for various projects.

The ants are really bad this year and I need to broadcast some bait but haven't had a chance yet.

I have a nice spreader set up for bait made to go on the back of an ATV but I sold my four wheeler.

I have the remains of an old sprayer that was made to go on the three point hitch.

I plan to cut it up and fabricate some sort of mount for the spreader. Wish I had a welder but don't.

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/35314/IMG-7070-196714.JPG

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/35314/IMG-7071-196717.JPG
View Quote
Good looking tractor and really great looking property you have there.
Link Posted: 4/27/2017 8:37:57 PM EDT
[#43]
Originally Posted By PA452:

Good looking tractor and really great looking property you have there.
View Quote
Thanks, we bought the tractor new in 2000 and it has close to 600 hours on it now.

It has been pretty good and done a lot of work for me.

We have enjoyed our property but damn it is a lot of work and this time of the year I always feel like I am way behind.

So much rain in the last few weeks and it is really too wet to get a lot of things done.

I need to do the yearly maintenance on the tractor, wife's car needs oil changed, fire ants are out of control, need to spray a bunch of round up on fence lines, need to finish repainting the barn.....

At least I did get most of the grass cut yesterday before getting another 1.5" of rain last night.

We usually get a good dry spell during May so hopefully I will get caught up some.
Link Posted: 4/27/2017 9:00:33 PM EDT
[#44]
Originally Posted By TN-MadDog:

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/35314/IMG-7070-196714.JPG

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/35314/IMG-7071-196717.JPG
View Quote
Get a 3PT carry all from tractor supply, a couple chunks of 2x4 and bam! Mount done.
Link Posted: 4/27/2017 9:13:28 PM EDT
[#45]

Get a 3PT carry all from tractor supply, a couple chunks of 2x4 and bam! Mount done.
View Quote
Not a bad idea and would work great but I'm trying to be very frugal these days.

I think I can cobble something together with the old sprayer remains for practically nothing.

Just have to find time to do it.

Also have to buy enough bait to broadcast most of my property.

It is expensive but if you time it right, it will really put a hurtin on the ants.

I really hate fire ants.  
Link Posted: 4/28/2017 5:34:42 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Muad] [#46]
Borrowed my good friend's B2920 to till up the garden beds. Got one done last night after work.

Man I love this thing. I'm considering buying one, as I need a better solution for mowing our property, plus I could use a small loader for cleaning out the barn, etc. 

A size compare just for fun (Ford 3930 - Kubota B2920) 
Link Posted: 4/28/2017 7:45:56 PM EDT
[#47]
Cut some grass when I got home from work, it's nice to have some daylight left when you get home
Link Posted: 4/28/2017 8:06:30 PM EDT
[#48]
Originally Posted By MSUbulldog21:
Cut some grass when I got home from work, it's nice to have some daylight left when you get home
http://i1298.photobucket.com/albums/ag53/MSUbulldog21/Vehicles/45330A13-5499-4F99-A2E5-DA1E12C424C5_zpsduatubxb.jpg
View Quote
Great photo!
Link Posted: 4/28/2017 8:06:30 PM EDT
[#49]
Borrowed my good friend's B2920 to till up the garden beds. Got one done last night after work.

http://i199.photobucket.com/albums/aa46/muad_dib1982/616B63DC-E6A0-40EA-A6F8-CACB32EC5035_zpsvfy70ncz.jpg

Man I love this thing. I'm considering buying one, as I need a better solution for mowing our property, plus I could use a small loader for cleaning out the barn, etc. 

http://i199.photobucket.com/albums/aa46/muad_dib1982/980AC2BA-77F4-48D7-B453-B4C7B404C886_zpsxyuiqomj.jpg
View Quote
Do it!  It's only money 
Link Posted: 4/28/2017 10:19:43 PM EDT
[#50]
Originally Posted By Pavelow16478:
Do it!  It's only money 
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By Pavelow16478:

http://i199.photobucket.com/albums/aa46/muad_dib1982/616B63DC-E6A0-40EA-A6F8-CACB32EC5035_zpsvfy70ncz.jpg

http://i199.photobucket.com/albums/aa46/muad_dib1982/980AC2BA-77F4-48D7-B453-B4C7B404C886_zpsxyuiqomj.jpg
Do it!  It's only money 
Just don't forget buying them thing's gets addictive.
Page / 104
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top