BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 3
Link Posted: 3/24/2015 11:44:23 AM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
This is what I use:http://i23.photobucket.com/albums/b395/HUNTER223/2012-07-31_13-52-03_686.jpg

It works better for me than the Shemag (I have a linen one) in 'regulating' body temperature, Or at least perceived body temperature.

HTR.
View Quote

Best piece of kit IMHO ..
.I lost somehow my old one...
Just got it replaced....
My old one went with me anytime I did field work (full rattle) ...and was tied to my hydration pack. I tore the house and all my kits apart looking for it.
The Shemag just didn't breath as well don't here ...

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 3/24/2015 4:40:55 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
This is what I use:http://i23.photobucket.com/albums/b395/HUNTER223/2012-07-31_13-52-03_686.jpg

It works better for me than the Shemag (I have a linen one) in 'regulating' body temperature, Or at least perceived body temperature.

HTR.
View Quote

Looks knitted like yarn, is it some kind of netting? do you have a link to a product page?

Im looking for something in the Fl summer heat. Anyone try those evaporative cloths a few different companies put out? Cloth supposed to get cool when wet.
Link Posted: 3/24/2015 4:41:46 PM EDT
[#3]
I actually used my shemagh and loved it. Me and my family go to the eastern sierras to do some hiking/fishing/shooting and one day when it was blistering hot I wrapped the shemagh around my head like a bandana and let the tail fall over my neck and shoulders. I  didn't fold it so the air was able to flow through it freely and I didn't get sun burned, I also did this after dunking it in water and I was literally getting cold. at night it got really cold really fast and the shemagh folded up and wrapped around my ears really helped. I am no ninja and none of these events took place in a mall, but I take it everytime we go to the sierras now. There may be better alternatives, but to my knowledge and that price point a shemagh is perfect for what I needed.
Link Posted: 3/24/2015 4:51:46 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

HTR.
View Quote

Thanks.  Thanks a lot.

Now I have to order one of those.

Link Posted: 3/24/2015 5:43:49 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

Thanks.  Thanks a lot.

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

HTR.

Thanks.  Thanks a lot.

What is it?
Link Posted: 3/24/2015 5:45:44 PM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 3/24/2015 5:46:54 PM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 3/24/2015 6:07:34 PM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 3/24/2015 6:09:36 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
LIKE THIS?
View Quote

Yep, that's it.

Also here.
Link Posted: 3/24/2015 6:50:00 PM EDT
[#10]
I have a shemagh that I bought several years ago. Makes a great sun shade and dust filter here in the Mojave Desert of SoCal. Also keeps my ears warm when it gets cold. Makes a handy towel when I sweat, or a great rag to wipe down with when soaked in fresh water. An incredibly useful item, really. Keep meaning to get more but always put it off.
Link Posted: 3/24/2015 7:17:23 PM EDT
[#11]
I have a couple from Triple Aught Design. They are heavy and hold up well.

I use them hunting and they are perfect for it.
Link Posted: 3/24/2015 8:03:13 PM EDT
[#12]
Link Posted: 3/24/2015 8:47:15 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
its a simple proven garment,that works great on hot windy days in the desert,a lot of arabs wear shoes too
View Quote

Got a OD green one..for Arizonastan....gets hot in the desert..and real handy in a dust storm...
Link Posted: 3/24/2015 8:49:57 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

Looks knitted like yarn, is it some kind of netting? do you have a link to a product page?

Im looking for something in the Fl summer heat. Anyone try those evaporative cloths a few different companies put out? Cloth supposed to get cool when wet.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

HTR.

Search sniper veil or SAS sniper veil ...8-20$. Get the all cotton ones.
I've got the evaporation deal yer asking about but ain't tested it. I run that viel or a large od surplus bandana.

Link Posted: 3/25/2015 12:00:13 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
+1 for the gaiter.  ok I'm done. Soldier you done? Agree to disagree?
View Quote

He can't hear you. See the : *click* ? That's the cool, dramatic way of letting everyone know you're on his ignore list now.

As far as shemaghs, whatever. Won't catch me wearing one, saw enough of them in goat love land, I'd rather not mimic them thankyouverymuch. But do whatever works for you. I've been rocking neck gaiters whenever needed for like fifteen years now.
Link Posted: 3/25/2015 6:43:11 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

He can't hear you. See the : *click* ? That's the cool, dramatic way of letting everyone know you're on his ignore list now.

As far as shemaghs, whatever. Won't catch me wearing one, saw enough of them in goat love land, I'd rather not mimic them thankyouverymuch. But do whatever works for you. I've been rocking neck gaiters whenever needed for like fifteen years now.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
+1 for the gaiter.  ok I'm done. Soldier you done? Agree to disagree?

Truth hurts...im so upset, wait no im not! i guess he got upset when he saw he dresses like chris brown, kayne west and the olsen twins. **click** wait thats me mocking a grown man that gets upset over a scarf.
Link Posted: 3/25/2015 8:26:23 AM EDT
[#17]
I think the "click " button should be removed ...I mean if your such a snowflake you can't handle simple internet chatter you've got other issues. ...

Link Posted: 3/25/2015 9:01:33 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
I think the "click " button should be removed ...I mean if your such a snowflake you can't handle simple internet chatter you've got other issues. ...

View Quote

I enjoy simple internet chatter. Welcome it, in fact.

Just don't like trolls. 'gabeowp' and others clearly think they get to dictate what folks should or shouldn't wear. In fact, he directly associated me with islamic terrorists because I choose to utilize a piece of fabric. I prefer not to deal with that type of liberal mindset.
Link Posted: 3/25/2015 9:26:07 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

Just don't like trolls. 'gabeowp' clearly thinks he gets to dictate what others should or shouldn't wear. In fact, he directly associated me with islamic terrorists because I choose to use a piece of fabric. I prefer not to deal with that type of liberal mindset.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Just don't like trolls. 'gabeowp' clearly thinks he gets to dictate what others should or shouldn't wear. In fact, he directly associated me with islamic terrorists because I choose to use a piece of fabric. I prefer not to deal with that type of liberal mindset.

Yeah I'm with ya...reason I don't wear mine very much at all.

But is he really dictating what you wear?  I think kifaru sucks balls...and ill yell it daily...even though I know for a fact its well built kit. Its just my.opinion ....so I voice it.
If I don't agree with something I don't need a button....but where IMHO the "ignore " deal fails especially in a tech forum is you ignore me because I said your fancy rhino bag blows....but I post up a reply say about solar panels ....you miss out on that info..because of a button.

Being close minded isn't a trait people preach you need to "survive " do they? ......

Don't ingnore me bro '....  LOL

Link Posted: 3/25/2015 9:32:59 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

But is he really dictating what you wear?  I think kifaru sucks balls...and ill yell it daily...even though I know for a fact its well built kit. Its just my.opinion ....so I voice it.
If I don't agree with something I don't need a button....but where IMHO the "ignore " deal fails especially in a tech forum is you ignore me because I said your fancy rhino bag blows....but I post up a reply say about solar panels ....you miss out on that info..because of a button.

Being close minded isn't a trait people preach you need to "survive " do they? ......

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I can get on board with this.

I cruise the survival forums here, and elsewhere, quite a bit. I enjoy reading about peoples different perspectives.
Some, however, prefer to judge others on a piece of cloth rather than live and let live.

As I get older, I have less patience for those type of folks. Just don't care or have the time to deal with it.
Link Posted: 3/25/2015 9:35:59 AM EDT
[#21]
My liberal mindset! Lol.  Yeah cause ultra conservative is wearing a shemagh.  Enjoy your scarf, I'm sure Charles Hesston would wear one.. no really I'm sure he would.
Link Posted: 3/25/2015 9:38:05 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
Lol. . He can get on board with it? Guess he can't see that's it's him that started this side topic. Lol
View Quote

Please go back an re-read the thread from the beginning and tell me who first started the thread derailment.
Link Posted: 3/25/2015 9:45:17 AM EDT
[#23]
Link Posted: 3/26/2015 11:36:44 AM EDT
[#24]
LA Police gear has them for $6.10
Link Posted: 3/26/2015 11:59:22 AM EDT
[#25]
Just pick one up when you do your Hajj.

Otherwise, there is a humongo factory in Damascus that makes a big variety of them (or so I'm told).
Link Posted: 3/26/2015 12:34:02 PM EDT
[#26]
I have a couple I picked up at the local Army Surplus store, of all places. They are great in the cold weather, it's Florida so cold down here is forty's or fifty's, but with the wind chill seems much colder. I don't work in an office, I work outside so by keeping my head and neck warm, it keeps the rest of my body temperature warm.
Link Posted: 3/26/2015 1:07:36 PM EDT
[#27]
There is a lot of weirdness and butt hurt in this thread over a piece of cloth.
It seems like a great improvement over slings we stole from the medics to wrap around our heads and faces.
Why does anyone care?
Link Posted: 3/27/2015 12:48:06 AM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
There is a lot of weirdness and butt hurt in this thread over a piece of cloth.
It seems like a great improvement over slings we stole from the medics to wrap around our heads and faces.
Why does anyone care?
View Quote

This happens in every single shemagh thread.  Every single time.  Without fail.  There's always "that guy."
Link Posted: 3/27/2015 1:46:01 AM EDT
[#29]
This is what we used 'back in the day' when I was in the green machine.

http://www.amazon.com/Military-Cravat-Triangular-Bandage-6510-00-201-1755/dp/B00HBG726G

Link Posted: 3/27/2015 10:16:47 AM EDT
[#30]

Me too. I still have a couple unopened since the early 90's.

The shemaugh has been issued to soldiers for decades and can be a useful piece of kit. Who cares if celebrities wear them, they also wear combat boots, watches, 550 cord crap, parkas, camo and other shit that I like too.

Soldiers have seniority.....

Link Posted: 3/28/2015 2:51:57 PM EDT
[#31]
Where can one find a larger shemagh? For those of us with larger nuggets on the shoulders? I have a (guess you could call it) standard size. Looking for something around the 48"x48" range.
Link Posted: 3/29/2015 12:23:32 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
Where can one find a larger shemagh? For those of us with larger nuggets on the shoulders? I have a (guess you could call it) standard size. Looking for something around the 48"x48" range.
View Quote

That's the thing...most of the tacticool ones out there are to small. I have a two from Iraq that an interpreter gave me. Red and white, and black and white. These things are huge...5 or 6 ft on a side, and they are great. I just wish they were different colors. Might just go find fabric I like and make my own.
Link Posted: 3/29/2015 10:58:04 PM EDT
[#33]

I thought they were OD green

Link Posted: 3/30/2015 1:37:06 AM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

That's the thing...most of the tacticool ones out there are to small. I have a two from Iraq that an interpreter gave me. Red and white, and black and white. These things are huge...5 or 6 ft on a side, and they are great. I just wish they were different colors. Might just go find fabric I like and make my own.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

That's what I have found as well. You would think there would be one maker/distributor that would have one that would be larger.
Link Posted: 3/30/2015 9:46:05 PM EDT
[#35]
I have one in foliage green/black pattern that I wear mountain biking on hot days. Keeps me cool and soaks up the sweat.  Could also be used as a sling or bandage, should I crash on the trail.

Sometimes I get strange looks and once someone asked me if I was middle eastern :)  I think mine is made by Blackhawk.

Link Posted: 3/31/2015 4:42:28 PM EDT
[#36]
I have two of them that I used when I lived in the desert as I have an aversion to heat and burn badly.
Now that I live in the woods in the north, I carry one in my gear bag, for wind in the summertime.
It will supplement the camo during archery season in lieu of buying an expensive head net.

As for the sniper face veil, shown in an earlier post in this thread, amazon has them as well.
Link Posted: 3/31/2015 6:11:32 PM EDT
[#37]
US Calvary Cavalry sells them.  I thought there was a store outside every post in the US, but I'm wrong.  The one in Fort Campbell has been there a while.  

Here is the link
Link Posted: 3/31/2015 9:48:18 PM EDT
[#38]

I always had one of those on while out in the field . We called them " Drive On Rags" and we'd get them from the medics .
Link Posted: 4/2/2015 6:41:09 AM EDT
[#39]
I'm debating if I should start making cooling neck wraps like those Lowes sells but in multicam ...
But gonna see if the ones I have work.down here if not ..ill stick to my old tri bandage scarf and sniper veil

Link Posted: 4/2/2015 11:20:00 PM EDT
[#40]
in Y2K we were issued solid coyote to go with our DCU's and tinted goggles.  It was the only article of clothing I wore that ever seemed to accumulate much sweat.
Link Posted: 4/11/2015 3:16:04 AM EDT
[#41]
I have found them very useful.

Link Posted: 4/12/2015 10:33:42 AM EDT
[#42]
I bought mine from both eBay, and from some market in AFG. Not bad, but they all smell like shit.

And don't think you can cover the smell with cologne, ferbreze, washing repeatedly, or anything... It just smells worse.
Link Posted: 5/4/2015 7:15:53 PM EDT
[#43]
No experience with the shamagna(whatever it's called), I do use one of these all summer and think very highly of it.

Link Posted: 5/5/2015 3:46:00 AM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:
No experience with the shamagna(whatever it's called), I do use one of these all summer and think very highly of it.

http://i.ebayimg.com/00/s/MTAwMFgxMDAw/z/L6UAAOSw0vBUjKC0/$_35.JPG
View Quote

those are usually known as a face buff, at least in the fishing world
Link Posted: 5/5/2015 10:52:39 AM EDT
[#45]
Try these:

link

http://www.galaxyarmynavy.com/item-5302.asp
Link Posted: 5/5/2015 12:05:20 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:
I'm debating if I should start making cooling neck wraps like those Lowes sells but in multicam ...
But gonna see if the ones I have work.down here if not ..ill stick to my old tri bandage scarf and sniper veil

View Quote

Not everyone can pull off that look, you know...

tactical fashion must be tier 1 for lesser mortals...
Link Posted: 5/6/2015 1:21:03 PM EDT
[#47]
Rooster15:Just make one. Find some wool and cut a 36"-42" square.

Most wool should hold an edge without unraveling. If not you could slightly roll it and use a rolling stitch to hold it.

Bandanas/ neckerchiefs/neck cloths were as American as Apple pie and very useful in Frontier America. When they became pocket handkerchiefs they got smaller and far less useful in the field.
Link Posted: 5/6/2015 1:53:09 PM EDT
[#48]
OP, PM me with address I will send you some large ones.  I have a trunk full of em' and they just sit there in storage.
Link Posted: 5/6/2015 2:03:09 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Bah...multicam anything will sell billions....oh wait LOL

Link Posted: 5/6/2015 2:23:11 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:
These things are pure fashion make no mistake about it. Anyone who's spent more than a few hours out in the cold would give you a funny look to say the least if a shemagh is what you choose to cover your neck/face with. You put that heavy 100% cotton scarf around your face and it will soak right up any moisture, then freeze like a rock. Warm weather they are okay, but still better options.

Bottom line get a quality no cotton neck gaiter unless you are purely going for the fashion element
View Quote

I live in Wyoming and disagree. You'll notice many of the detractors are from southern humid states. Many of the pro are from hot/dry/desert states. On a hot dusty day, they are a lifesaver, especially at high altitudes where sunburn on the neck can happen in minutes. They aren't hot, or heavy if they are wrapped loosely and allowed to breath. Normal bandanas are too small and the tight weave of the fabric doesn't allow airflow. I do prefer a wool gaiter for below 20 degrees, so I'll agree with the gaiter for extreme cold temperatures. They are a versatile piece of gear, I don't care if they are a fashion statement at the time, that will pass.

Page / 3
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top