Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 3
Posted: 3/17/2015 1:28:21 PM EDT
I want to buy a shemagh, but I don't want to get a cheap one made from inferior material or too thin of a fabric.  Any suggestions for vendors or brands that sell quality shemaghs?

What is the appropriate size?  I've seen some well known vendors sell "head wrappings" sized 10x21, and another well-known survival group discuss shemaghs as 42x42 which seems to be the typical seize.
Link Posted: 3/17/2015 3:48:42 PM EDT
[#1]
http://www.tacticaltailor.com/tacticaltailorshemagh.aspx
Link Posted: 3/17/2015 5:38:47 PM EDT
[#2]
I have 4 from the first link and 1 from the 2nd link.

These are somewhat thin, but they are nice in warmer weather.

These are alot thicker material and are made really nice. Will have to login to contact the seller.

Link Posted: 3/17/2015 7:20:36 PM EDT
[#3]
Just curious. .... why?
Link Posted: 3/17/2015 8:15:24 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Just curious. .... why?
View Quote

I don't know about OP but I find working outside on a hot windy day that these are a life saver.
Link Posted: 3/17/2015 8:59:44 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
Just curious. .... why?
View Quote

I wear mine hunting/fishing when it's cold out.

I've never been a big fan of being cold.

Link Posted: 3/18/2015 6:23:16 AM EDT
[#6]
Maybe it's just me, but I find other clothing options to protect myself from the elements. I just don't find it appealing to mimic a group of people who want to do harm to me or my country because of our freedoms are a perceived slight to their religion. Or do I wish to mimic the fashion of those who may have used them in their service in the recent wars. My 5.11 is about as tacticool as i choose to be. And that's just cause they are awesome pants. Is your wife/gf gonna wear a berka at the beach so she doesn't get a sunburn? But to each is own. Enjoy
Link Posted: 3/18/2015 6:31:24 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Maybe it's just me, but I find other clothing options to protect myself from the elements. I just don't find it appealing to mimic a group of people who want to do harm to me or my country because of our freedoms are a perceived slight to their religion. Or do I wish to mimic the fashion of those who may have used them in their service in the recent wars. My 5.11 is about as tacticool as i choose to be. And that's just cause they are awesome pants. Is your wife/gf gonna wear a berka at the beach so she doesn't get a sunburn? But to each is own. Enjoy
View Quote

I will enjoy.  Thank you!
Link Posted: 3/18/2015 6:44:51 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
View Quote

Agree.
Link Posted: 3/18/2015 6:45:01 AM EDT
[#9]
Got mine from CTD near 8++ years ago. Worn it maybe dozen times.
I wore a SAS sniper veil before that in summer and even then that got dumped In favor of large used surplus bandanas (again four pack ctd long ago) ...
Cold weather my newest go to is a condor neck gaiter (made from soft shell fabric)  that thing kicks ass in the cold....

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 3/18/2015 9:31:45 AM EDT
[#10]
Got mine from Midwayusa 2 years ago. I think it was $7. It's held up through 2 years of daily winter use. Paired with a stocking hat, I'm warmer than I've ever been. I don't care if the enemy wears them I just don't want to freeze my ears of in a bitter Wisconsin winter wind.
Link Posted: 3/18/2015 9:50:25 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Got mine from Midwayusa 2 years ago. I think it was $7. It's held up through 2 years of daily winter use. Paired with a stocking hat, I'm warmer than I've ever been. I don't care if the enemy wears them I just don't want to freeze my ears of in a bitter Wisconsin winter wind.
View Quote

That just it. Some civilian sees a 'bad guy' wear one on the TV, and ,BAM, suddenly it goes from being a useful scarf, to a TERRORIST ITEM OF DEATH AND DESTRUCTION AND WHOEVER WEARS IT HATES 'MURICA!!!!!111!!!!!!!1one11!!!!!!

Lol
Link Posted: 3/18/2015 10:04:23 AM EDT
[#12]
Or... maybe some of us don't see the point and don't need to try and dress like a mall ninja. Just saying... but hey they have them for sale at ctd and sportsmansguide. SG also sells some OTHER cold weather gear since you wanna stock up for cold weather as we enter the summer. Enjoy!
Link Posted: 3/18/2015 10:05:41 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Or... maybe some of us don't see the point and don't need to try and dress like a mall ninja. Just saying... but hey they have them for sale at ctd and sportsmansguide. SG also sells some OTHER cold weather gear since you wanna stock up for cold weather as we enter the summer. Enjoy!
View Quote

I didn't realize I was a mall ninja. Especially during my deloyments and what not.

And again, I will enjoy. Thank you!
Link Posted: 3/18/2015 10:10:05 AM EDT
[#14]
Get a neck Gator. I have 2 that were issued to me up in Alaska, and they are still holding strong 17 years later. They can be anything from a hat, ear warmer, or a bali.

Link Posted: 3/18/2015 10:11:13 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
Get a neck Gator. I have 2 that were issued to me up in Alaska, and they are still holding strong 17 years later. They can be anything from a hat, ear warmer, or a bali.

http://www.backcountry.com/images/items/medium/ARC/ARC0351/RNGBLK.jpg
View Quote

But, I won't annoy people as bad with that!

Link Posted: 3/18/2015 10:16:17 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

http://www.backcountry.com/images/items/medium/ARC/ARC0351/RNGBLK.jpg

If you get this one you will
Link Posted: 3/18/2015 10:41:20 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
Just curious. .... why?
View Quote

Every thread about these derails with these leading/probing questions....Every Time.
Get over it, move on.

Wearing one of these will not result in your wives wearing burkas at the beach, they will not give you an affinity for small barnyard animals, and they are not known to the state of California to cause cancer.
Link Posted: 3/18/2015 11:00:56 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

Every thread about these derails with these leading/probing questions....Every Time.
Get over it, move on.

Wearing one of these will not result in your wives wearing burkas at the beach, they will not give you an affinity for small barnyard animals, and they are not known to the state of California to cause cancer.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Just curious. .... why?

Get over it, move on.

I dunno....5 years after buying mine I have 12 chickens and....we keep looking at rabbits and goats......
Should I just finish myself off or look for a cure?

:)

Link Posted: 3/18/2015 11:33:02 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Just curious. .... why?

What can it do that a good scarf can't do?    Aside from making you look like a goatfucker?
Link Posted: 3/18/2015 11:33:08 AM EDT
[#20]
I got one from a Iraqi kid on the side of the road for $5.  It smelled disgusting so it went in the garbage.
Link Posted: 3/18/2015 11:47:06 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

I didn't realize I was a mall ninja. Especially during my deloyments and what not.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Deployment to where? Cause if it was Af or Iq then you think you would know all about these and not need to ask for feedback in a arfcom forum.  Just saying..but what color are you gonna get? Wait... fde isn't it? Anyways I vote for the skull mask thing above. That has more character.
Link Posted: 3/18/2015 12:00:22 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

Deployment to where? Cause if it was Af or Iq then you think you would know all about these and not need to ask for feedback in a arfcom forum.  Just saying..but what color are you gonna get? Wait... fde isn't it? Anyways I vote for the skull mask thing above. That has more character.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I didn't ask for feedback. The OP did. Please refer to the first post.
Link Posted: 3/18/2015 12:04:14 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

What can it do that a good scarf can't do?    Aside from making you look like a goatfucker?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Just curious. .... why?

It sucks that my Afghan scarf is upsetting you so much.

At least my goat loves me.
Link Posted: 3/18/2015 12:08:20 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Yes, I did get you confused with the OP. My bad on that. But at least your goat likes your scarf.
Link Posted: 3/18/2015 12:09:57 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
Yes, I did get you confused with the OP. My bad on that. But at least your goat likes your scarf.
View Quote

Yep. I'm a lucky man. She's a hot little piece of nanny.
Link Posted: 3/18/2015 12:15:43 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

Get over it, move on.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Just curious. .... why?

Get over it, move on.

But California does consider it to be assault clothing.  NY and Connecticut too I'm pretty sure.
Link Posted: 3/18/2015 12:18:20 PM EDT
[#27]
They do look kind of cool, but are a little too mall ninja for my tastes
Link Posted: 3/18/2015 8:18:42 PM EDT
[#28]
These shemagh threads are quite laughable. In the middle east they are quite common. In the U.S. it appears to be a fashion statement rather than anything else. Tacticool never made sense to me, but it certainly gets people to spend money. Just like "bush crafting" used to be camping. I chuckle at the nonsense.
Link Posted: 3/18/2015 11:44:44 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
Just curious. .... why?
View Quote

Several reasons.  I know you want to start a side debate about someone trying to be tacticool because some troops use it in the desert.  Its a bad path to take really.  But to entertain you,

1..Stargazing.  Operating my telescope in the dead of night in winter conditions is a bitch. I just don't like the full facemasks.  When I exhale in a facemask, condensation of exhaled air goes right up and onto the inside of my glasses, a shemagh will give more room for exhaled water vapor to reach equilibrium while still keeping me warm.
2.. All season Bug Out bag material.  A 42x42 cloth is more than dual purpose.
3.  Its been proven to protect people's faces from elements, why ignore it?  People buy Ar-15s and AK-47s because they are known to work.  I don't want to reinvent the wheel,
4.  Actually, summer camping and stargazing too.  Even in the mountains, a long breeze in the summer can bring in swarms of bugs in the middle of the night. I can not sleep in a mummy sleeping bag, so I usually sleep with my head outside.  I have an oldschool tent.  So I am already wrapping a pillow cover or shirt around my head to protect from any insects and keep light off my eyes as I usually sleep during the day on those excursions , and I can still get bitten.  I just don't like spraying or rubbing my face with deet.  There are other solutions, but a $15 shemagh is also a solution.
5.  I have seen Amish during Rumspringa use them in farm fields.  Pulling tobacco crop by hand is a dusty experience, so even they like it.
6.  I want one.  Why would you care?
Link Posted: 3/18/2015 11:57:34 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

Agree.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Agree.

Agree but I do take one hunting from time to time only because my buddy brought me one back from Afghanistan. They serve a purpose but only because a good "do rag" isn't big enough where as the typical color patterns and size of a shemagh make it more versatile even if it has been over done.

ETA:

Link Posted: 3/19/2015 5:53:12 AM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

Several reasons.  I know you want to start a side debate about someone trying to be tacticool because some troops use it in the desert.  Its a bad path to take really.  But to entertain you,

1..Stargazing.  Operating my telescope in the dead of night in winter conditions is a bitch. I just don't like the full facemasks.  When I exhale in a facemask, condensation of exhaled air goes right up and onto the inside of my glasses, a shemagh will give more room for exhaled water vapor to reach equilibrium while still keeping me warm.
3.  Its been proven to protect people's faces from elements, why ignore it?  People buy Ar-15s and AK-47s because they are known to work.  I don't want to reinvent the wheel,
4.  Actually, summer camping and stargazing too.  Even in the mountains, a long breeze in the summer can bring in swarms of bugs in the middle of the night. I can not sleep in a mummy sleeping bag, so I usually sleep with my head outside.  I have an oldschool tent.  So I am already wrapping a pillow cover or shirt around my head to protect from any insects and keep light off my eyes as I usually sleep during the day on those excursions , and I can still get bitten.  I just don't like spraying or rubbing my face with deet.  There are other solutions, but a $15 shemagh is also a solution.
5.  I have seen Amish during Rumspringa use them in farm fields.  Pulling tobacco crop by hand is a dusty experience, so even they like it.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Just curious. .... why?

What ever you wrap around your head, hands or nuts is your biz and i dont care. If you wanna look like a mall ninja cause it make youfeel like chris costa or cory/erica then you go right ahead. But this is a forum so expect different  views when you bring the item up for discussion. Try not to get butt hurt, if so maybe stay out of the forums. I choose to use the many other options to protect myself from the elements. But you enjoy that "tactical"scarf.
But don't worry bro, your not the only one who likes the look.

I mean when I saw the Olsen twins wearing them I was like "you had me at shemagh"
Link Posted: 3/19/2015 10:18:57 AM EDT
[#32]
I was peace time military so never got to play with one in thw sandbox but when some company sent me one for buying a lot of toys I tried it out and was amazed at its usefulness.
I would now consider it mandatory for every bob in the family after one day in a hot windy environment I wont be wearing one in public but hunting and working in severe weather
absolutely.
Link Posted: 3/19/2015 10:26:20 AM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

What ever you wrap around your head, hands or nuts is your biz and i dont care. If you wanna look like a mall ninja cause it make youfeel like chris costa or cory/erica then you go right ahead. But this is a forum so expect different  views when you bring the item up for discussion. Try not to get butt hurt, if so maybe stay out of the forums. I choose to use the many other options to protect myself from the elements. But you enjoy that "tactical"scarf.
<a href="http://s1162.photobucket.com/user/gabeowp/media/Mobile%20Uploads/keff_zpsn3jolxw8.jpeg.html" target="_blank">http://i1162.photobucket.com/albums/q536/gabeowp/Mobile%20Uploads/keff_zpsn3jolxw8.jpeg</a>

I mean when I saw the Olsen twins wearing them I was like "you had me at shemagh"
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Just curious. .... why?

<a href="http://s1162.photobucket.com/user/gabeowp/media/Mobile%20Uploads/keff_zpsn3jolxw8.jpeg.html" target="_blank">http://i1162.photobucket.com/albums/q536/gabeowp/Mobile%20Uploads/keff_zpsn3jolxw8.jpeg</a>

Or, maybe you can quit fucking judging people on what they choose to wear. What are you, the fucking fashion police?

Faaaabolous!
Link Posted: 3/19/2015 10:45:52 AM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

Or, maybe you can quit fucking judging people on what they choose to wear. What are you, the fucking fashion police?

Faaaabolous!
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Just curious. .... why?

Faaaabolous!

Aww... you mad bro?
Link Posted: 3/19/2015 10:49:19 AM EDT
[#35]
This is a technical forum so take the purse swinging to GD.
Link Posted: 3/19/2015 10:51:46 AM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:

Aww... you mad bro?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Just curious. .... why?

Faaaabolous!

Aww... you mad bro?

Nope. Just don't have time for trolls.

*click*

Buh-bye  
Link Posted: 3/19/2015 10:53:42 AM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:

Aww... you mad bro?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Just curious. .... why?

Faaaabolous!

Aww... you mad bro?

IT ain't GD ...fellas.  instead of bitching about guys looking like "mall ninjas " or whatever ....explain /offer better examples of kit that may help the OP. If he is closeminded to genuine advice or opinions then that's on him. Not much anyone can do about it.
As I said. I own one but here in Swampland Florida its not a piece of kit that falls in my "must have " items...its down the list a bit.
But to a Guy in say south California or the Dakotas it may be a God send.

Link Posted: 3/19/2015 11:18:19 AM EDT
[#38]
+1 for the gaiter.  ok I'm done. Soldier you done? Agree to disagree?
Link Posted: 3/19/2015 7:45:26 PM EDT
[#39]
Amazon has some cool ones.
Link Posted: 3/19/2015 9:52:06 PM EDT
[#40]
I have one I got off Amazon.  Works pretty decently during cold weather hunting but thus far is the only time I have worn it.  15 years after my last season of high school wrestling I still have an antibiotic resistant strain of staph on my neck that any close or tight fitting clothing items will cause to flare up.  The tacticool scarf works well to help keep me warm without causing me to break out.  I love my neck gaiter but within an hour of having one on I have zits all over the back of my neck.
Link Posted: 3/21/2015 11:46:30 AM EDT
[#41]
its a simple proven garment,that works great on hot windy days in the desert,a lot of arabs wear shoes too
Link Posted: 3/21/2015 12:58:44 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
its a simple proven garment,that works great on hot windy days in the desert,a lot of arabs wear shoes too
View Quote

Oh fuck.

Now you done it.

Link Posted: 3/21/2015 6:10:08 PM EDT
[#43]
To sum up half of this thread.....

Stop liking what I don't like!!!!!!!!    

jd1
Link Posted: 3/21/2015 6:34:35 PM EDT
[#44]
Go to the mall at old Navy or Gap
Link Posted: 3/22/2015 1:22:31 AM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:
They do look kind of cool, but are a little too mall ninja for my tastes
View Quote

Me too but to each his own and all that. Awesome avatar btw.
Link Posted: 3/22/2015 11:40:02 AM EDT
[#46]
I like to use one when I am hunting - covers up my bald face - thinks that it helps me to be a more tacit-cool hunter.

of course YMMV

Red

Link Posted: 3/23/2015 12:01:13 AM EDT
[#47]
These things are pure fashion make no mistake about it. Anyone who's spent more than a few hours out in the cold would give you a funny look to say the least if a shemagh is what you choose to cover your neck/face with. You put that heavy 100% cotton scarf around your face and it will soak right up any moisture, then freeze like a rock. Warm weather they are okay, but still better options.

Bottom line get a quality no cotton neck gaiter unless you are purely going for the fashion element
Link Posted: 3/23/2015 12:39:35 AM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:
These things are pure fashion make no mistake about it. Anyone who's spent more than a few hours out in the cold would give you a funny look to say the least if a shemagh is what you choose to cover your neck/face with. You put that heavy 100% cotton scarf around your face and it will soak right up any moisture, then freeze like a rock. Warm weather they are okay, but still better options.

Bottom line get a quality no cotton neck gaiter unless you are purely going for the fashion element
View Quote

If I lived somewhere wet and cold it wouldn't be my first pick but in a hot and windy environment I am amazed at how much better I feel
at the end of a long day if I use one.
Link Posted: 3/23/2015 3:40:20 AM EDT
[#49]

Does anyone make something similar out of wool?

ETA: Without the gay tassels.

Link Posted: 3/23/2015 10:49:36 PM EDT
[#50]
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 3
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top