Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 10/20/2014 2:46:26 PM EDT
I'm in need of new camping gear. A couple of years back I lent my tent and two sleeping bags to my brother. An unfortunate accident happened and all the gear was lost when his car caught fire. After buying a house and having a kid I'm finally able to purchase new camping gear. Wife's not into camping so I don't need a big family tent just yet. All items will be for more recreational camping as opposed to backpacking. Temps here got to -15 last year without the windchill. Also looking to go camping when we go back to the east coast to visit family in the PA mountains and VA mountains. Here's a few things I'm looking at.

Eureaka Down Range 2 tent. I Like the size and that it's a somewhat civilian version of their USMC tent. Found a couple reviews, but not much more than that. Guy at local mom and pop camping/outdoor store highly recommended the single person one, but only because they haven't gotten the 2 man version in yet.

Wiggy's sleeping bag. It would have to be one of the rectangular sleeping bags as I just don't like being restricted when I sleep and I also toss and turn a lot. I'm a warm sleeper. I'm thinking between their Hunter Super Lt with hood and FTRSS bag or the Ultra light version, unless someone wants to recommend something different.

ThermaRest sleeping pad. Prefer comfort over backpacking. Looking at the MondoKing or LuxuryMap.

Your thoughts and recommendations would be greatly appreciated.
Link Posted: 10/20/2014 6:46:56 PM EDT
[#1]
I like Sierra design or Big Agnes tents. A lot lighter than Eureka.
wiggys suck, Marmont or north face bags are a lot better.
Therarest is ok, but i like Exped pads now. warmer, lighter and comfortable.
Take a look at the Big Agnes sleep system. Wide bags with the pad on the inside.
Link Posted: 10/20/2014 7:37:07 PM EDT
[#2]
If you are considering the mondoking I can definitely recommend if. I have the large one my GF has the XL one. In a mummy bag the large is fine because you are confined. But if you are getting a bigger bag get the XL. The pads are very warm and very comfortable. Expensive but worth it for sure. The carry sack they come with is pretty cheap... But it works. I can understand they wanted to make it lightweight but good grief look at the sleeping pad obviously nobody is going to backpack with that behemoth!
Link Posted: 10/24/2014 6:14:14 PM EDT
[#3]
I've had good experiences with REI, Sierra Designs, Mountain Hardwear, Kelty, and a few other brands.  Eureka makes some good stuff for car camping.  When I was in scouting, we used their Timberline Outfitter tents.  Not the most efficient design (and heavy), but fairly bombproof.  

I recommend Klymit's Static V sleeping pad.  It is way more comfortable than my Thermarest.  It's also small enough that I will sometimes bring both!

Link Posted: 10/25/2014 11:42:56 AM EDT
[#4]
Since your starting from scratch, and you said its just for you for the time being I would seriously look into hammock camping..
Link Posted: 10/25/2014 2:58:04 PM EDT
[#5]
Thanks for the recommendations. I like the specs on the Big Agnes Storm King. Water repellent down and you can slip a sleeping pad inside. Gonna keep looking though. I found a smoking deal on the Eureka Down Range 2 tent and ordered it. It will be here Tuesday.
Link Posted: 10/26/2014 1:59:26 AM EDT
[#6]
Yeah, I just got a Hennessey Hammock, and it is certainly comfortable.  It's different, that's for sure!  I'd been a tent camper for a while, so getting hammock specific gear was a little different.  Some stuff crosses over, but I had no idea about underquilts and such.

enasty, if you intend to camp solo and have trees in your area, you might want to look into a hammock.  It is a bit different, but I sleep VERY well in mine (better than any time on the ground).  I'd also recommend examining what people who camp like you want to do use.  I'm a bit of a sucker for "latest and greatest" style gear, but I'm beginning to learn respect for "old fashioned" ways...they became popular for a reason.
Link Posted: 10/26/2014 10:57:56 AM EDT
[#7]
With the storm king if its like their other bags its not that you can slip a pad into it its that you HAVE to slip a pad into it otherwise you have no bottom insulation.
Link Posted: 10/26/2014 12:00:48 PM EDT
[#8]
http://www.golite.com/Shangri-La-5-Tent-P46714.aspx

Can't recommend this tent enough. Versatile and tough.
Link Posted: 10/29/2014 1:32:01 PM EDT
[#9]
That tent may be going on sale soon since GoLite filed bankruptcey.
Link Posted: 11/13/2014 6:27:07 PM EDT
[#10]
Just got off the phone with GoLite, liquidation sale starts tomorrow.
Link Posted: 11/13/2014 7:16:47 PM EDT
[#11]
All good advice so far.  There is some really amazing stuff out compared to just 10 yrs ago.

Just remember ,  " Buy Once , Cry Once " on gear and get it over with.
Link Posted: 11/13/2014 8:36:03 PM EDT
[#12]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Since your starting from scratch, and you said its just for you for the time being I would seriously look into hammock camping..
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

This times 1000.

Quoted:
That tent may be going on sale soon since GoLite filed bankruptcey.

Well that sucks.
Link Posted: 11/14/2014 10:38:56 AM EDT
[#13]
I just bought one of the Wiggy Digital camo bags for $130.00.  It is a zero degree bag.  I used it in the Adirondaks 2 weeks ago and love it.  It only got down to 34 degrees but I was not to hot or cold with it.  I also have the Ultimate Thule (-20) bag and love that bag as well.  I the nice thing is I can use the overbag for either bag if needed.  Wiggys is the way to go!!!
Link Posted: 11/14/2014 5:56:40 PM EDT
[#14]
GoLite.com is currently experiencing technical difficulties. We will be back up as soon as possible. We are sorry for the inconvenience.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top