Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Tacked BOB what it should be. (Page 12 of 24)
Page / 24
Link Posted: 9/25/2011 6:29:52 PM EDT
[Last Edit: SteveM223] [#1]
I just got this. You need a multitool for a B.O.B.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K1IiX7rNHok

Link Posted: 9/29/2011 2:29:57 PM EDT
[#2]
Originally Posted By Toyforever:
Originally Posted By fpd164:
Originally Posted By Toyforever:
Mine is more of a GHB/BOB. I drive a truck for work & am routinely 130-150 miles (by road) from home daily. This, to me, is what I need to make it home pending a SHTF walk-out event.

The bag is an Academy closeout special that was in the hunting section. Aprox. 2500-3000 cu. w/2L hydration bladder. It also has two external pockets-one on each side and a seperate exterior bag that is aprox. 12x18x4. Both the main & attached bag have molle & d-ring attachment points. It also has a rifle/bow compression holder w/support between the two bags.
<snip>
Hit the list & let me know what you think please. In my opinion, I don't know everything yet- I'm still alive & learning.
[/quote

rifle????

Would love to have my ar- BUT- Weapon of any kind against company policy & I haven't figured out a way to break it down far enought NOT to be recognizable. Too many people I work with are avid shooters/hunters and would spot it right away. With the current situation now I do not need to give anybody at work amunition with which to get myself fired. As far as the pistol goes- concealed means concealed!- it I can't do that properly I don't need it to begin with. Also, my stance is, better to beg forgiveness than to ask permission when I know what the answer will be. I am looking at possibly a couple throw away/beaters that I could geocaches(sp?) Somewhere alog my route as a possible solution. Anybody have more questions or constructive words for me?  Thanks to the hive I am working to make this the best possible for my situation.

Geocache= good idea. Try getting one of the long ammo cans(mortar cans maybe?) and only storing maybe a cheap AR upper in it then keep the lower in your bag or w/e. That way if it's damaged, it isn't a big deal; if it's stolen, it isn't an actual "firearm" so no legal ramifications if someone uses it for wrongdoing; and the lower isn't a complete firearm so your company might not be able to say anything and the serial# stays nice and safe with you.
Link Posted: 9/30/2011 3:33:48 PM EDT
[#3]
On the topic of a 3 day bag, I plan on keeping a .22 conversion kit for my EDC pistol.  What would be a common sense amount of .22lr to keep in the bag? 100 rounds? 200?
Link Posted: 9/30/2011 9:08:10 PM EDT
[#4]
Originally Posted By 41magluva:
On the topic of a 3 day bag, I plan on keeping a .22 conversion kit for my EDC pistol.  What would be a common sense amount of .22lr to keep in the bag? 100 rounds? 200?

I have no ideas of using a 22lr for anything other than small game like tree rats, and putting out dogs and lights. I keep 100rds of subsonics and 100rds of cci segmented hollow points. with a mag (10rds) worth of the subsonics actually loaded.
Link Posted: 10/1/2011 12:44:35 AM EDT
[Last Edit: EXPY37] [#5]
This is kinda cute...

We've been doing some hiking to develop a spring that is in a difficult to reach area and last week I found an SOG multitool that I bought on ebay a couple years ago and was in my tool box.

So I showed it to my SO and didn't say anything and next thing I noticed she was putting it on her gun belt.

I still didn't say anything and we got to the spring and she was fiddling with it trying to get the knife out. Then I needed to cut a piece of that lightweight 1 1/4 inch black corrigated plastic sump pump pipe and out came the knife. A little later I needed to perforate a gator aid bottle to make sort of a well point to stick the pipe into the end and bury wrapped with filter cloth and out came the tool. I've seen her use the pliers, scissors and knife so far.

Tonight I asked her how heavy it was to carry and she said she doesn't even notice it. Then I asked if we should get a spare and she thought that was a good idea.

When she hikes even in dense underbrush, [I'm usually in front clearing the way] she looks like a porcupine with all kinds of stuff hanging on several belts, like a ball cap, skeeter net [the fold up kind from REI] water bottles, incl a fanny pack with camera inside, chapstick.

On her back pack chest cross strap is that pink surveyor's ribbon to mark trails when she can't find rocks.

Inside her back pack [ I bought her the mid-sized Rush pack that was posted abt here a couple weeks ago, and took her smaller Walmart pack to use   ] is a HT radio, compass [I don't think she knows which way is north on it] batteries, Fenix, towels, toiletery stuff, more water, Crystal Light rehydration pkgs, and God only knows what else. It's stuffed pretty full.

She won't venture too far when we're hiking because she's scared of getting lost and animals I think, until we get close to base and then she goes ahead of me.

The bear she chased off twice in ~3 days IIRC a couple weeks ago took a multi-dump on Tuesday right where she scared it. I wonder what that means... [It was a couple large patties and a couple small ones, maybe a young one was with mama? She took a pix.]

Anyhow, pretty funny in a nice sort of way.

ETA, on a real BO, all that stuff if carried will be well secured.

Link Posted: 10/1/2011 1:54:58 PM EDT
[Last Edit: EXPY37] [#6]
Here's the bear poop.

The biggest patty is about 5" across.

Link Posted: 10/1/2011 7:10:28 PM EDT
[Last Edit: MotherDearest] [#7]
I wanna contribute
I looked around and couldnt find an "Official BOB Pic Thread" though I'm sure I've seen one somewhere...
So I'll just leave this here.

My BOB Minus Food
USMC ILBE
   Interior (from bottom to top)
   -WillyP bag
   -Sleeping Bag (30F)
   -Bivy Cover
   -Tarp
   -3x Grunt Rolls (Skivie shirt, shorts, and thorlough socks rolled up) in a willp bag
   -1x set green Marpat cammies
   -2x Towels
   -2x Rolls of TP
   -3x Mags of 5.56
   -FAK
   -A bunch of 1 gallon ziplocs
  Exterior
   -Otis 5.56 cleaning kit
   -75' 550 Cord
   -Canteen+Cup+Stand
   -Rainsuit
   -Hatchet
   -General Pouch containing:
     -Marine Battle Skills Handbook #3
     -3x Lubricating Weapon Wipes
     -5x Black Trash Bags
     -Skinning/Gutting Knife
     -Gerber Multitool
     -Bic
     -LED Flashlight
     -Compass
     -12x 3A Batts for Flashlight
     -Magnesium Firestarter
     -Fishing Kit(line, hooks, etc.)
     -MRE Peanut Butter(bait, morale booster, etc.)
     -2x MRE Napkins
     -2x MRE Wet Wipes
     -MRE Coffee Packet(is gooood)
     -2x Books of Waterproof matches

Also, My tacticool fork
Link Posted: 10/4/2011 3:41:05 PM EDT
[#8]
Originally Posted By MotherDearest:
I wanna contribute
I looked around and couldnt find an "Official BOB Pic Thread" though I'm sure I've seen one somewhere...

My BOB Minus Food
USMC ILBE
   Interior (from bottom to top)
   -WillyP bag
   -Sleeping Bag (30F)
   -Bivy Cover
   -Tarp
   -3x Grunt Rolls (Skivie shirt, shorts, and thorlough socks rolled up) in a willp bag
   -1x set green Marpat cammies
   -2x Towels
   -2x Rolls of TP
   -3x Mags of 5.56
   -FAK
   -A bunch of 1 gallon ziplocs
  Exterior
   -Otis 5.56 cleaning kit
   -75' 550 Cord
   -Canteen+Cup+Stand
   -Rainsuit
   -Hatchet
   -General Pouch containing:
     -Marine Battle Skills Handbook #3
     -3x Lubricating Weapon Wipes
     -5x Black Trash Bags
     -Skinning/Gutting Knife
     -Gerber Multitool
     -Bic
     -LED Flashlight
     -Compass
     -12x 3A Batts for Flashlight
     -Magnesium Firestarter
     -Fishing Kit(line, hooks, etc.)
     -MRE Peanut Butter(bait, morale booster, etc.)
     -2x MRE Napkins
     -2x MRE Wet Wipes
     -MRE Coffee Packet(is gooood)
     -2x Books of Waterproof matches

http://i117.photobucket.com/albums/o69/Adrian5842Shields5842/Mobile%20Uploads/IMG_2551-1.jpg
http://i117.photobucket.com/albums/o69/Adrian5842Shields5842/Mobile%20Uploads/IMG_6713-1.jpg
http://i117.photobucket.com/albums/o69/Adrian5842Shields5842/Mobile%20Uploads/IMG_9103-1.jpg
http://i117.photobucket.com/albums/o69/Adrian5842Shields5842/Mobile%20Uploads/IMG_9750.jpg

Also, My tacticool fork
http://i117.photobucket.com/albums/o69/Adrian5842Shields5842/Mobile%20Uploads/IMG_4417.jpg

What's the weight of everything?
Link Posted: 10/4/2011 8:53:03 PM EDT
[#9]
Originally Posted By Reaperatm:
I wanna contribute

My BOB Minus Food
<snip>

The bag is right around 40lbs. Coupled with a kevlar and plate carrier all of it ends up about 65-70lbs. Went on a little test hump with it all this past weekend and after I got it adjusted right, it wasn't all that bad. 5 miles and I felt great when I was done.
Link Posted: 10/6/2011 10:58:03 AM EDT
[#10]
Good job!  A couple of things I would do personally is xnay the towels, hatchet, Otis cleaning kit. Extra weight you won't need (or leave spares at your BOL).  Also, how much water and food are you carrying?  I personay went for more food and water and less of the little things since weight adds up so quick.

I personally keep my bag at no more than 35lbs with food and water.  Anything past 35lbs becomes uncomfortable after 10mi+ for me. I like the idea of being lighter and faster, that way I don't need to carry as much since I'm not in transit as long.  Just remember the old addage "ounces make pounds." my entire set up with weapon and gear is under 50lbs, and if I dropped the MREs and added mountain house I could lighten the load even more. I'll get pix of my current set up next week when I get back home

I wanna contribute

My BOB Minus Food
<snip>

The bag is right around 40lbs. Coupled with a kevlar and plate carrier all of it ends up about 65-70lbs. Went on a little test hump with it all this past weekend and after I got it adjusted right, it wasn't all that bad. 5 miles and I felt great when I was done.

Link Posted: 10/6/2011 7:48:59 PM EDT
[#11]
Good job!  A couple of things I would do personally is xnay the towels, hatchet, Otis cleaning kit. Extra weight you won't need (or leave spares at your BOL).  Also, how much water and food are you carrying?  I personay went for more food and water and less of the little things since weight adds up so quick.

I personally keep my bag at no more than 35lbs with food and water.  Anything past 35lbs becomes uncomfortable after 10mi+ for me. I like the idea of being lighter and faster, that way I don't need to carry as much since I'm not in transit as long.  Just remember the old addage "ounces make pounds." my entire set up with weapon and gear is under 50lbs, and if I dropped the MREs and added mountain house I could lighten the load even more. I'll get pix of my current set up next week when I get back home

I have 4 days of food(tuna packets, MREs, trail mix, nutrigrain bars, and Vienna sausages for now) and a 3L camelbak + a 1quart canteen. On the hump, I made it with no prior hydration and only drank about a half quart along the way. I want to cut the hatchet for a collapsable saw and the cleaning kit I'm gonna see about fitting the necessities in the stock compartment on my rifle. The towels, I'm still on the fence when it comes to those. I tell myself I could use them and need them but I can't really come up with a reason to keep them except if I go swimming to bathe while in bugout mode.
Definitely on my list of things to get is a lightweight sleeping bag, a pack that will fit body armor better, maybe lose the rainsuit trousers, and the marine handbook except for a few relevant pages.

Link Posted: 10/7/2011 2:31:01 AM EDT
[#12]
Have you guys discussed anything like this before. I'm sure you have but I haven't seen it. Certainly for a long walk you could probably take twice maybe three times the weight. I could see three people hauling 5-600 pounds. It would need to be quiet and quick release. I would probably load all my gear first in a pack then placed in the carrier. To travel cross country carry or cache the trailers. How much weight do you guys think you could pull this way on asphalt. Are these too big of a target.
Link Posted: 10/7/2011 7:21:49 AM EDT
[#13]
Originally Posted By Winchester73:
Have you guys discussed anything like this before. I'm sure you have but I haven't seen it. Certainly for a long walk you could probably take twice maybe three times the weight. I could see three people hauling 5-600 pounds. It would need to be quiet and quick release. I would probably load all my gear first in a pack then placed in the carrier. To travel cross country carry or cache the trailers. How much weight do you guys think you could pull this way on asphalt. Are these too big of a target.
https://www.radicaldesign.nl/images/walking-trailers/walking-trailer-wheelie-walking.jpg

It was actually discussed earlier in this thread. The biggest issue seemed to be the lack of all-terrain-ability and the fact that despite being wheeled, it's still the same amount of weight, you're just using different muscle groups which could be a problem and cause you to tire faster vs using a pack. In the end, I believe it came back to what each individual's situation is as to whether or not it would be an effective method of transport.
Link Posted: 10/7/2011 3:43:41 PM EDT
[#14]
https://www.radicaldesign.nl/images/walking-trailers/walking-trailer-wheelie-walking.jpg

As another POV to those carts.... would be ok in a survival situation if your gathering from a basecamp. Other than that it seems to be a useless B O situation. Its kinda hard to blend in anywhere unless you've seen a community use those extensivly. If you wanted to use something like that you mind as well use a bike and trailer... thats my .02

Link Posted: 10/8/2011 1:42:46 AM EDT
[#15]
Originally Posted By clownbear69:
If you wanted to use something like that you mind as well use a bike and trailer... thats my .02

Excellent point. A bike and trailer would be much less conspicuous. Especially a child carrier. Most folks would assume you're carrying a child.

Or better yet, get a low milage 2009-10 2wd Ural for about $7500.00

Link Posted: 10/8/2011 3:50:13 PM EDT
[#16]
If you wanted to use something like that you mind as well use a bike and trailer... thats my .02

Excellent point. A bike and trailer would be much less conspicuous. Especially a child carrier. Most folks would assume you're carrying a child.
http://www.bikenorthidaho.com/images/ChildCarrier.jpg

Or better yet, get a low milage 2009-10 2wd Ural for about $7500.00

http://1.bp.blogspot.com/-TnXEuB6nr0Q/Tbq70S9pu3I/AAAAAAAAAEA/12U3lj61IsI/s1600/2009-Ural-Gear-Upf.jpg
http://www.destinationcycles.com/images/Uraldesertcamo2.jpg

Strip out the sidecar and that would definitely be an awesome BOV for 2(judging by the second seat on the bike). I think I'll stick with my jeep though
Link Posted: 10/8/2011 8:22:44 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Winchester73] [#17]

Strip out the sidecar and that would definitely be an awesome BOV for 2(judging by the second seat on the bike). I think I'll stick with my jeep though

I'm a huge jeep fan. My favorite vehicle I've ever owned was my Wrangler. They're extremely capable offroad, and I towed a good load with mine.. I'm not saying the Ural is a better BOV but I will say it'll go more places than a jeep can go, it gets 3 times the gas milage,  it's easier to hide, and much easier for a passenger to shoot from. Once the Ural is in two wheel drive only a boulder will stop it. Look a the rear end. That shaft running from the rear hub on the bike can engage for a locked differential to the sidecar wheel. The Ural will tow too.

Also I know with my jeep at least I had to creep along to avoid bottoming out the suspension and avoid breaking anything. This doesn't seem to be a factor with the 2wd Ural.

Link Posted: 10/8/2011 8:59:14 PM EDT
[#18]
A little history behind the Ural. After WWII as a consequence of confiscated land the Russians acquired a BMW motorcycle manufacturing facility with all the tooling and parts ready to go. So they began manufacturing what they called the Ural motorcycle. It has basically gone unchanged in 70 years. A brand Ural today is basically a brand new 1945 BMW. They are supposed to be extremely reliable and simple. Probably EMP proof. I'd like to know if someone could confirm or deny the EMP proofness.
Link Posted: 10/8/2011 10:08:26 PM EDT
[#19]
A little history behind the Ural. After WWII as a consequence of confiscated land the Russians acquired a BMW motorcycle manufacturing facility with all the tooling and parts ready to go. So they began manufacturing what they called the Ural motorcycle. It has basically gone unchanged in 70 years. A brand Ural today is basically a brand new 1945 BMW. They are supposed to be extremely reliable and simple. Probably EMP proof. I'd like to know if someone could confirm or deny the EMP proofness.

Hell I still cant believe people actually listen to my comment. Nevertheless back to the bike and trailer would work awesome in the city very easily. As to that Ural it would be awesome as a BOV.... Hell if im not mistaken most bikes would be emp proof which wouldnt be bad just due to its start up...any body have good suggestions on a decent BOV... I was planning on buying a cheap vechile for the family in the even something were to happen. Prefer 4x4 drive but not my truck due to the gas consumption.... please leave you comments lets keep this thread alive
Link Posted: 10/9/2011 12:17:58 AM EDT
[#20]

As another POV to those carts.... would be ok in a survival situation if your gathering from a basecamp. Other than that it seems to be a useless B O situation. Its kinda hard to blend in anywhere unless you've seen a community use those extensivly. If you wanted to use something like that you mind as well use a bike and trailer... thats my .02

The other problem I see is the issue of tire tracks.  If you are trying to bug out and don't want folks following you, then forget about this option unless you are on hard packed gravel or asphalt.  And both of those options are much more likely to be traveled, so if you are wanting to keep a low profile, this is not for you.
Link Posted: 10/9/2011 3:22:41 AM EDT
[#21]
This is the best BOV

Link Posted: 10/9/2011 10:30:23 AM EDT
[#22]
That Ural is pretty nice.

Any idea on the load capacity, hp, top speed, and any maintenance issues?

As for a decent, cheap BOV, Jeep Cherokees are pretty cheap($3k and less). The only problem is high mileage which I don't personally see as an issue since they seem to be extremely high mileage vehicles anyway.
Link Posted: 10/9/2011 5:47:45 PM EDT
[#23]

If I had to guess it probably has about a 6-650# load capacity. Top speed is limiting. They recommend 62mph.
The bike is completely field maintainable with a very small tool kit supplied. Valve adjustments, oil changes, and grease fittings are the only maintenance and are all task that can be done in the field, and the bike comes with a comprehensive dvd to learn these and other task. I'd say one 200# man could load 500#'s of gear if he pushed it. Also the weight limitations are a symptom of the suspension not lack of gearing. The bikes being so simple, it may not be a great endeavor to beef up the rear springs.
Link Posted: 10/9/2011 7:06:52 PM EDT
[#24]

If I had to guess it probably has about a 6-650# load capacity. Top speed is limiting. They recommend 62mph.
The bike is completely field maintainable with a very small tool kit supplied. Valve adjustments, oil changes, and grease fittings are the only maintenance and are all task that can be done in the field, and the bike comes with a comprehensive dvd to learn these and other task. I'd say one 200# man could load 500#'s of gear if he pushed it. Also the weight limitations are a symptom of the suspension not lack of gearing. The bikes being so simple, it may not be a great endeavor to beef up the rear springs.

That sounds quite excellent. What's the average pricetag attached to it?
Link Posted: 10/9/2011 10:25:26 PM EDT
[#25]

New they run around 12k new. There's an excellent condition 2007 with less than 10k miles on Bike Trader for 7500.00 right now.
Link Posted: 10/11/2011 12:21:11 PM EDT
[Last Edit: MotherDearest] [#26]

New they run around 12k new. There's an excellent condition 2007 with less than 10k miles on Bike Trader for 7500.00 right now.

Page 24 is mine!
Ah that's a little outside my pricerange. I think I'd just get a quad, build a reserve fuel tank to extend my range, and have at it. I think most of my bugging out would consist of minimum asphault and a large amount of Alabama backwoods
Link Posted: 10/11/2011 1:52:22 PM EDT
[#27]
Those urals look sweet but at the end of the day for $7500-10k i think a jeep wrangler would be better.  Or how about a 4x4 atv? if you dont need to run away from zombies at 60mph a simple atv can get you where you need to go.
Link Posted: 10/11/2011 10:04:08 PM EDT
[#28]
Dont get me wrong i love the jeeps but are they emp proof?
Link Posted: 10/11/2011 10:14:45 PM EDT
[Last Edit: MotherDearest] [#29]
Dont get me wrong i love the jeeps but are they emp proof?

I actually saw a thread on this earlier today lol. standby for link.

ETA: http://www.ar15.com/forums/t_10_17/650965_EMP_shorting_out_electronics.html
Link Posted: 10/11/2011 10:40:45 PM EDT
[Last Edit: MotherDearest] [#30]
Since we've gotten a little off topic, I'll steer us back.
Tonight I added and subtracted from my BOB.
I got rid of a grunt roll(leaving me two), my marine handbook, one of two towels, and my least favorite camelbak.
ETA: I also decided I would be leaving my PASGT helmet behind in the event of BO. Too much weight, distorts hearing, too hot, generally a pain in the neck, and not really all that  necessary, or so I feel.

I added one of my much better camelbak, boot bands, a spare bootlace(may remove later since I have 550 cord), a few select pages from the marine handbook, and an in-line water filter for the camelbak.
Link Posted: 10/12/2011 11:11:23 PM EDT
[#31]
I got rid of a grunt roll(leaving me two), my marine handbook, one of two towels, and my least favorite camelbak.
ETA: I also decided I would be leaving my PASGT helmet behind in the event of BO. Too much weight, distorts hearing, too hot, generally a pain in the neck, and not really all that  necessary, or so I feel.
http://i117.photobucket.com/albums/o69/Adrian5842Shields5842/Mobile%20Uploads/IMG_5067.jpg

I added one of my much better camelbak, boot bands, a spare bootlace(may remove later since I have 550 cord), a few select pages from the marine handbook, and an in-line water filter for the camelbak.
http://i117.photobucket.com/albums/o69/Adrian5842Shields5842/Mobile%20Uploads/IMG_5766.jpg

Thanks for getting back on topic.

Link Posted: 10/13/2011 4:48:23 PM EDT
[#32]
http://i117.photobucket.com/albums/o69/Adrian5842Shields5842/Mobile%20Uploads/IMG_5067.jpg

http://i117.photobucket.com/albums/o69/Adrian5842Shields5842/Mobile%20Uploads/IMG_5766.jpg

My pleasure. would hat to see this thread go caput. There's some good info in here. It's too bad there isn't more participation.
Link Posted: 10/13/2011 7:03:15 PM EDT
[#33]

My pleasure. would hat to see this thread go caput. There's some good info in here. It's too bad there isn't more participation.

well, one can hardly throw stones at a 24 page thread that has been running for over 5 years.  i'd venture to say that it covers pretty much every major BOB concept––now it's just detail stuff and tweaks.

day 1379:  replaced the advil i took from the FAK to cure that hangover.  added another hook to the fishing kit, but am having severe difficulties finding ultralight sinkers.  all worms dead now.  

Link Posted: 10/13/2011 9:37:53 PM EDT
[#34]
Originally Posted By sirensong:

well, one can hardly throw stones at a 24 page thread that has been running for over 5 years.  i'd venture to say that it covers pretty much every major BOB concept––now it's just detail stuff and tweaks.

day 1379:  replaced the advil i took from the FAK to cure that hangover.  added another hook to the fishing kit, but am having severe difficulties finding ultralight sinkers.  all worms dead now.  

What on earth is that from? lol
Link Posted: 10/14/2011 2:07:33 AM EDT
[#35]
ummm...mostly from the rum.

Link Posted: 10/14/2011 12:49:42 PM EDT
[#36]
That reminds me, who all would pack a journal ITEO TEOTWAWKI?
Could be good to record lessons learned, keep track of days, a good distraction/stress reliever, etc.
But it's also extra weight in a BOB that could probably better serve something else.
Thoughts?
Link Posted: 10/14/2011 4:25:38 PM EDT
[#37]

Could be good to record lessons learned, keep track of days, a good distraction/stress reliever, etc.

But it's also extra weight in a BOB that could probably better serve something else.

Thoughts?

most people will likely be carrying their phone––including a camera, text notes, and voice notes––in most situations.  it's an extremely powerful tool even sans communication, weighs very little, and can be recharged from solar, generator, or car batteries.

Link Posted: 10/16/2011 8:21:31 AM EDT
[#38]
Thoughts?

A journal is great to bring. We have become to dependent on electronics. Electronics fail. Nevertheless I have in the past carried a journal and mainly used for recon such as were my newest water source "danger" areas etc. Its nice to have around when you dont have a map and you want to plot distance. As for myself i carry a small grid paper jounral and a watch to one track distance and the ablility to scale it. Plus in a pinch you would have a dry fire starter if it came to that.

Speaking on firestarters just an fyi i do care in BoB a Tom Clancy book from Goodwill i believe have the Bear and the Dragon kinda think book got it super cheap but if you get lonely you can read need a something dry you got plenty off paper just because Tom Clancy is well winded and if you have to emergency tp. thats another .02
Link Posted: 10/16/2011 10:39:13 AM EDT
[#39]
Thoughts?

A journal is great to bring. We have become to dependent on electronics. Electronics fail. Nevertheless I have in the past carried a journal and mainly used for recon such as were my newest water source "danger" areas etc. Its nice to have around when you dont have a map and you want to plot distance. As for myself i carry a small grid paper jounral and a watch to one track distance and the ablility to scale it. Plus in a pinch you would have a dry fire starter if it came to that.

Speaking on firestarters just an fyi i do care in BoB a Tom Clancy book from Goodwill i believe have the Bear and the Dragon kinda think book got it super cheap but if you get lonely you can read need a something dry you got plenty off paper just because Tom Clancy is well winded and if you have to emergency tp. thats another .02

good points. How much weight does the journal and book add total? I plan on looking into aquiring the ability to use solar power to charge my phone so I could use it until it's death but I will still probably add a Rite-in-Rain notebook for good measure.
Link Posted: 10/16/2011 1:48:41 PM EDT
[#40]

Where'd you get the inline filter? That could be a useful item. How well does it work w/o a pump and how is it installed (where in the C-bak?) Sorry if this has been covered before - I have a filter, but had it fail once, I'd like to have redundant systems.
Link Posted: 10/16/2011 6:15:04 PM EDT
[#41]
Originally Posted By Morg308:

Where'd you get the inline filter? That could be a useful item. How well does it work w/o a pump and how is it installed (where in the C-bak?) Sorry if this has been covered before - I have a filter, but had it fail once, I'd like to have redundant systems.

The filter was issued to me as a disposable asset(I won't have to turn it back in). Its an MSR inline filter. It just connects between the outlet on a bladder and the hose or between the hose and bite valve. I haven't tested it but it's rated for 300 liters. Even if it fails, I have enough purification tablets for 12 liters and can boil water as needed. I believe it was earlier in this thread that someone mentioned making sure you have 3 ways to purify water and it's good advice and doesn't weigh much. The filter goes for about $25 on ebay from what I can tell.
Link Posted: 10/18/2011 11:26:38 PM EDT
[#42]
I have mention quite a bit of stuff on this thread have had great info. Now my question is for all of you snow birds and desert foxes (yes rommel reference) is what kind of BoB do you carry. I live in wisconsin with plenty of recources and in so in my BoB i mostly worry about having ways to purfiy or melt my water then actually carry it. I would appreciate for suggestions on what to have have in the desert approx water and or finding water in the desert. what to carry in the car extra please leave all suggestions
Link Posted: 10/19/2011 12:49:20 PM EDT
[#43]
I have mention quite a bit of stuff on this thread have had great info. Now my question is for all of you snow birds and desert foxes (yes rommel reference) is what kind of BoB do you carry. I live in wisconsin with plenty of recources and in so in my BoB i mostly worry about having ways to purfiy or melt my water then actually carry it. I would appreciate for suggestions on what to have have in the desert approx water and or finding water in the desert. what to carry in the car extra please leave all suggestions

That's what I like about my canteen cup+stand. It's versatile. I haven't figured any ways to 'catch' water with it in a desert/similar environment but as long as you can make fire, you can melt and purify water or cook with it. It's solid and adds weight but I think it's totally worth it.
For melting water, you could simply dump snow or ice in a plastic bottle and tuck it in a jacket using your body heat to do the work. I'm sure some of these other guys have a significantly more clever method though.
Link Posted: 10/19/2011 6:48:25 PM EDT
[#44]

honestly, this deserves its own thread.  i grew up in the high desert, but have never spent any time in a 'real' desert devoid of surface water.  the only stuff i know comes straight out of survival references––look for game trails, follow insects, watch terrain and vegetation changes.  the only 'trick' i know is setting up a solar still to collect water from vegetation.

i know i'd benefit from a new thread on this, and i think it would be helpful for everyone else, too.

Link Posted: 10/19/2011 10:28:48 PM EDT
[#45]
Learn to dig. I am setting up a pack right now with the idea in mind of carrying lots of water. Empty 1 gallon AZ ice tea containers don't weigh anything when empty - having extra containers in a case where you find just a little water can make a big difference. Carry puritabs or bleach - I had an MSR filter with very little water through it fail catastrophically filtering water from a stock tank - the filter got clogged with algae. MSR did right by me, and we didn't get sick from the small amount we were able to filter with the crippled unit - enough to get back to the car, but we were lucky. It was just an overnight, so I got compacent. Compacency inthe desert will kill you. I would recommend making a primary filter (can't remember the term) from a pant leg, sand and charcoal. Use the filter to filter from the cleaned water source rather than directly as I did. It was a hard lesson, but stuck with me.
Link Posted: 10/20/2011 11:05:44 PM EDT
[#46]
Yeah my location is right on the rio grande El paso more specificly
Link Posted: 10/20/2011 11:18:18 PM EDT
[#47]
Thoughts?

good points. How much weight does the journal and book add total? I plan on looking into aquiring the ability to use solar power to charge my phone so I could use it until it's death but I will still probably add a Rite-in-Rain notebook for good measure.

Um it doesnt weigh a whole lot. How i look at it when it comes to making fire regularlly is as important as water so i dont consider the weight i consider the space taken hence why i get the small paper backs in a plastic bag gotta make sure its dry. as for my journal i have a small hand journal and it stays in my breast pocket most of the time that pocket is worthless except for that so yup another .02
Link Posted: 10/29/2011 9:49:01 PM EDT
[Last Edit: wrdaniel8] [#48]
I've read this thread, and the GHB thread started by RAGNAR, and I can honestly say I've been inspired to prep for as many situations as I can be.

Here is my list of items, either already aquired or working on getting them.

Bag/ pouches:
5.11 Rush 12
USGI MOLLE Sleeping system carrier (on order)
Condor double pistol mag pouch
Condor rip away EMT pouch (on order)

Shelter:
USGI 3 piece sleeping system
6x8 tarp
50' 550 cord
Magnesium fire starter
matches from USGI survival kit
lighter
matches from MRE
Tinder in an old prescription bottle (2), labels peeled off. I use those cotton cosmetic applicators, ever burn dryer lint? It stinks.
Emergency Blanket from USGI survival kit

Food:
1 MRE
1 pack of flavored tuna
1 quart bag of trail mix

Water:
Katadyn Hiker (on order)
Iodine tabs
Nalgene bottle, empty
Titanium pot that Nalgene bottle fits inside
Camelbak 3L bladder, full

Tools:
CRKT M16-13SF (plan on upgrading to the 14SF)
Gerber Prodigy
Leatherman wave
Gerber Air Ranger (I think)
Otis Cleaning Kit

Clothing:
UA LS loose fitting T (2)
UA boxerjock (1)
5.11 socks (2)
Danner Portland desert boots
boot blousers (1 pair)
Condor Summit (on order)
Cotton T shirts (2)
Tru-Spec BDU pants (1)
The North Face Venture pants (1) (on order)

Navigation/ Signaling Device/ Writing:
Lensatic compass
ranger square
ranger beads
laminated map of AO
Compass from USGI Survival Kit
smartphone with GPS/ google maps
Rite-in-the-Rain notebook and pen
Surefire G2 LED

Misc:
IFAK (consists of a few band aids, super glue, antibiotic ointment, pain relief)
Car charger for phone
100 mph tape wrapped around the scrip bottle
Pistol
12 round mags (4)
Serpa holster and mag pouch

I'm sure I forgot something... like I said, working on it.

I'm organizing necessities to either be on my person, or in the EMT pouch (IFAK, land nav gear, iodine tabs, socks, ratfucked survival kit, firestarter/tinder etc) so I can grab and go if I need to. I also have the capability of adding a rifle and mags, if the situation dictates.

As I'm working on my own BOB I'm making a few observations:

1) there is too much emphasis on bringing food. I know, for me personally, I don't need more than 1 MRE for three days. There are 1320 calories in the Chicken and Noodles MRE. I that is my food. I will be hungry when I get to my home or BOL, but it's to get me there, not get me there in comfort. I have other food with me, but not much.

2) there is not enough emphasis on water. I am a firm believer in "two is one, one is none" in most cases. In this case I want three. I can go at least 1 week without food, good luck going a few days without water, or having contaminated water...

3) shelter is second on my list behind water. Here in OH I've seen the weather start out at a comfortable 50 and sunny, move to rain, then freezing rain, and finally snow. I refuse to be caught with my pants down. I have a tarp, always the bivy cover for the sleeping system, and a jacket.

ETA: Spit Kit:
Travel toothbrush/ toothpaste
Unscented baby wipes
Body glide stick
Swivel stick (don't know the actual name, it's cocoa butter in a huge chapstick looking tube), works as lotion and chapstick.

Other omissions:
Headwear depends on the season, always have a ballcap though.
Nomex gloves.
Small whetstone
Weeks worth of supplements (daily vitapak and fish oil)

Link Posted: 10/30/2011 7:07:50 AM EDT
[Last Edit: protus] [#49]

Thoughts?

I carry a small notepad ( 2x 3inch style that will fit in a chest pocket) and a pencil/pen or majic marker.

Not only for notes for myself  , but in the case that i need to leave notes, draw maps, sketch details of an AO etc ( i also carry them in my fighting gear for this same reason).....

be a shame to come across a mzb with no tongue and have no note pad for him to scribble where his gang is camped out..............
ETA:

on the weight thing.

If you try and pack everything for every scenerio you will have a huge pack, that is very heavy.

This is why ive always said, get those 3-4 core items that YOU NEED, then go from there. A small pad, even small journal is 1-2 oz's. That's a few inches cut off those 4 ft long straps most packs have, or drilling holes in a spoon handle, or removing a tent and putting in a sil tarp........

Link Posted: 11/6/2011 9:58:08 PM EDT
[#50]
My BOB is an Eberlestock Operator.  It weighs 49.5 lbs with contents and the bladder full.  If I add my current M4, the weight increases to 59.6 lbs.  Right now it is loaded for winter and I have a test hike coming up in a week.  I would have some pics, but I have about half of my gear loaded into the tent in the backyard b/c I just felt like camping out this weekend, but couldn't get away.

I will have a Snugpak Elite 3 bag here by the end of the week, so that will drop my bag weight by 2 lbs as well.  I may or may not hike with the bladder full.  Depends on the situation (am I hiking or getting gone) which then determines my route.  For the upcoming hike I am adding my Thermarest Classic which adds about a pound.  I usually don't attach it to my BOB b/c it sticks out at a weird angle in my truck.

My area is SW Arkansas.  Heavily wooded, lots of streams/creeks, population center is ~5,000 and farm based.  I am within 20 miles of my home and the same distance from my BOL in my day to day life.  Winters are not as severe as other areas (some snow, some ice, temps will get in the teens for a week or two, freezing for a month).  Summers are very hot and humid (100+).  The elevation changes here are pretty medium to high, though, so hiking does take on a strength factor in addition to the common endurance one.  I do have the benefit of being able to have my BOB with me everywhere I go around here.

IFAK (this is pretty thick, I've included basic trauma items as well as boo boo stuff for now)
Bandanna
Oakley SI Gloves
Gerber Diesel and tool kit
Source 100 oz bladder
K bar
1 roll TP
Princeton Tec Headlamp
Bug head net
Baseball cap
Map of area
Compass
Black sharpie
Rite in the rain Notepad 3x2
Jump drive with BOB docs
headphones
Pencil
Electronic Ziploc pouch (heavy duty pouch for phones and stuff I keep my electronics in)
Jetboil PCS w/one canister and spare igniter
Aluminum long handle spoon
Green scratch pad/sponge w/soap in it
Large metal coffee mug (It's extra but I like to have coffee while I wait on water for the meals, etc.)  
Nalgene w/duck tape wrap (contains coffee and electrolyte drink mixes)
Cleaning kit (Rem Oil, rag, brush)
Sharpening stone
Spare batteries
Earpro
Wet wipes
Matches
dryer lint tinder in a film canister
Chem light
Lighter
Toothpaste
Toothbrush
P57 can opener
9 hour candle and holder
2 pair Merino wool socks
1 UA shirt (hot weather loose fitting.  Works well as a base layer)
Micro fiber towel (small)
100 ft. paracord
2 20 round 5.56 Pmags loaded in Maxpedition pouches
Eberlestock waterproof pack cover
Zip ties x4 (really long ones)
Kelty Grand Mesa 2 (tent, fly, poles, and stakes)
1 cotton long sleeve button up shirt (granola eater camo)
1 pair of desert tan Vertx pants
MSR Miniworks with 2' tube for filling bladder in the drawstring bag
Beanie
USMC OD Fleece
2 chemical hand warmers
1 UA long sleeve ColdGear

My food pack out is listed below.  Some of you may have seen my earlier post with regards to this 72 hours of food and how it relates to a bug out on foot situation.  During my coming hike, I'll be adding some snacks and testing what I need for winter calories covering my local terrain.  I'll adjust the food from there.  For now, it's a starting point.

DAY 1 (Total Calories: 1870)
Breakfast:
MRE PB and crackers 340 cal

Snack:
MRE Ranger bar 210 cal

Lunch:
MRE Wheat snack bread, veg pattie, and raisins 480 cal

Snack:
Clif bar 240 cal

Dinner:
MH Chicken Stew (2 servings) 600 cal

DAY 2 (Total Calories: 1800)
Breakfast:

Snack:
MRE Spice pound cake 300 cal

Lunch:
MRE vegetable manicotti 170 cal
Spiced apples 150 cal

Snack:
Clif bar 240 cal

Dinner:
MH Chili Mac with beef (2 servings) 600 cal

DAY 3 (Total Calories:  1730)
Breakfast:

Snack:
Pumpkin pound cake 280 cal

Lunch:
Penne with sausage MRE 320 cal

Snack:
Clif bar 240 cal

Dinner:
MH spaghetti with meat sauce (2 servings) 550 cal

I'll get some pics as soon as I get it gathered back up out of the backyard.  I'm going to leave it through the next few days of storms, then check everything for waterproofness.

Suggestions?  I'm thick skinned.  Thanks.

Page / 24
Tacked BOB what it should be. (Page 12 of 24)
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top