Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Tacked BOB what it should be. (Page 11 of 24)
Page / 24
Link Posted: 1/20/2011 1:31:40 PM EDT
[#1]
Originally Posted By Mosin_Nagant:
I put this together the other day, and am looking for suggestions on what to add/remove or general comments. I see it as a 3-5 day SHTF pack. I did do an 8.3 mile hike/day camp out with it in my intended bug out location (rifle included), and it did kinda suck, but was not impossible by any means, and I could do a lot more were I in a real survival situation. I made Top Ramen with tuna to test out the stove. I do want to do an overnight, or more camp out, but I'm not really experienced with this type of thing and don't want to put myself in potentially real danger. I have a couple friends who backpack, and want to go with them soon.

For food, I was thinking a couple bags/packs of tuna, top ramen, a couple MREs, then some jerky and mixed nuts.

What is good as far water purification? My intended BOL has a clean (looking) stream, I was thinking purification tablets. But this is something I know nothing about.

So here's my pack: Click for high res

1 LA Police Gear 3-day Pack
2 Water (that is water and not vodka )
3 Wool Blanket
4 AR15/20rd mag
5 Poncho/tarp
6 Sterno Stove and fuel
7 .22lr conversion
8 Notepad/pencil/pen/sharpie
9 .22lr ammo
10 Bayonet/ 3 30rd AR mags
11 Spare clothes
12 Silverware
13 50ft paracord
14 Waterproof matches/lighter
15 Toilet paper (and kindling)
16 Wool Cap
17 Sunglasses
18 Multi tool
19 Shooting glasses/earplugs
21 Hatchet
22 Gloves
23 Tri-fold shovel
24 .380 Taurus
25 Flashlight/batteries
I have no idea how much it weighs, and terrible at guessing weight.

http://img593.imageshack.us/img593/7343/dsc0252x.jpg

<a href="http://img253.imageshack.us/img253/2328/nump.jpg" target="_blank">http://img253.imageshack.us/img253/2328/nump.jpg</a>

Great start.
For water I would get a nalgene type plastic bottle and an MSR waterworks filter.
that should drop your weight and give you a lot of drinkable water in WA.
I would keep the hachet. fires are important and you may need to split wood to get to something sort of dry if between the months of august and june.  its worth the weight.
Cotton clothes are not good for you when they get wet. WA they will get wet. Poly blend cargo pants are better.
Link Posted: 2/4/2011 10:43:44 AM EDT
[#2]

Originally Posted By NWRuger:

Originally Posted By Mosin_Nagant:

I put this together the other day, and am looking for suggestions on what to add/remove or general comments. I see it as a 3-5 day SHTF pack. I did do an 8.3 mile hike/day camp out with it in my intended bug out location (rifle included), and it did kinda suck, but was not impossible by any means, and I could do a lot more were I in a real survival situation. I made Top Ramen with tuna to test out the stove. I do want to do an overnight, or more camp out, but I'm not really experienced with this type of thing and don't want to put myself in potentially real danger. I have a couple friends who backpack, and want to go with them soon.

For food, I was thinking a couple bags/packs of tuna, top ramen, a couple MREs, then some jerky and mixed nuts.

What is good as far water purification? My intended BOL has a clean (looking) stream, I was thinking purification tablets. But this is something I know nothing about.

So here's my pack: Click for high res

1 LA Police Gear 3-day Pack

2 Water (that is water and not vodka )

3 Wool Blanket

4 AR15/20rd mag

5 Poncho/tarp

6 Sterno Stove and fuel

7 .22lr conversion

8 Notepad/pencil/pen/sharpie

9 .22lr ammo

10 Bayonet/ 3 30rd AR mags

11 Spare clothes

12 Silverware

13 50ft paracord

14 Waterproof matches/lighter

15 Toilet paper (and kindling)

16 Wool Cap

17 Sunglasses

18 Multi tool

19 Shooting glasses/earplugs

21 Hatchet

22 Gloves

23 Tri-fold shovel

24 .380 Taurus

25 Flashlight/batteries

I have no idea how much it weighs, and terrible at guessing weight.

http://img593.imageshack.us/img593/7343/dsc0252x.jpg

<a href="http://img253.imageshack.us/img253/2328/nump.jpg" target="_blank">http://img253.imageshack.us/img253/2328/nump.jpg</a>

Great start.

For water I would get a nalgene type plastic bottle and an MSR waterworks filter.

that should drop your weight and give you a lot of drinkable water in WA.

I would keep the hachet. fires are important and you may need to split wood to get to something sort of dry if between the months of august and june. its worth the weight.

Cotton clothes are not good for you when they get wet. WA they will get wet. Poly blend cargo pants are better.

very nice
Link Posted: 2/11/2011 9:01:32 PM EDT
[#3]
Glad to see no one's forgetting their eyes.

For those of you who (still) have 20/10 or better (I used to be one of you) and "don't need eyeglasses", I would still suggest some compact magnifier glasses. It's a real bitch digging out splinters or trying to do fine work in low light conditions. I have these in my GHBs/BOBs in my med kit. They come in a crushproof rubberized case:

Don't be shy about getting a substantial magnification (like +2.50) - it's always better to have moar image...
Link Posted: 2/24/2011 11:14:02 PM EDT
[#4]
a tag...this is one.

Link Posted: 3/1/2011 12:59:28 AM EDT
[#5]
sirensong's bag-buying addiction strikes again.  found a kelty jaunt for $10, and couldn't pass it up for my essentials bag––i love the thing!  the battlelab has been provisionally demoted to the range bag, pending abuse testing on the kelty.  i want to make sure the thing doesn't fall apart––the fabric feels soooo much more delicate.

but kelty has protus' stamp of approval, so i'm giving it the benefit of the doubt.
Link Posted: 3/14/2011 7:32:32 AM EDT
[#6]

Originally Posted By sirensong:

sirensong's bag-buying addiction strikes again. found a kelty jaunt for $10, and couldn't pass it up for my essentials bag––i love the thing! the battlelab has been provisionally demoted to the range bag, pending abuse testing on the kelty. i want to make sure the thing doesn't fall apart––the fabric feels soooo much more delicate.

but kelty has protus' stamp of approval, so i'm giving it the benefit of the doubt.

so far my stuff has held up. But my ghb is a cbak mule, and my hikers are my keltys. The stuff i see out there now is much more lighter. My 4500 tahoe is almost 500d, while the 4500 yote ( new style pack) feels like 300+d, and not as thick. While my kelty falcon ( military) is all 500d and 1000d.

Most packs (smaller ones) all seem to fail inthe same spots ( seams,straps) from being over loaded.
Link Posted: 3/14/2011 2:36:54 PM EDT
[#7]

Originally Posted By protus:

sirensong's bag-buying addiction strikes again. found a kelty jaunt for $10, and couldn't pass it up for my essentials bag––i love the thing! the battlelab has been provisionally demoted to the range bag, pending abuse testing on the kelty. i want to make sure the thing doesn't fall apart––the fabric feels soooo much more delicate.

so far my stuff has held up. But my ghb is a cbak mule, and my hikers are my keltys. The stuff i see out there now is much more lighter. My 4500 tahoe is almost 500d, while the 4500 yote ( new style pack) feels like 300+d, and not as thick. While my kelty falcon ( military) is all 500d and 1000d.

Most packs (smaller ones) all seem to fail inthe same spots ( seams,straps) from being over loaded.

do you have any experience with the jaunt?  it's the kidney pack, and i have it loaded with aboout 10#.  thes suspension seem ok, but my rifle mag carriage is a bit wonky––i'm running 3 mags in an old style alice pouch, which is tucked into one of the exterior water bottle holders.  not the best arrangement, but i can at least access my mags without having to unzip the bag.

the nylon feels super light, but i figure that at only $10, it'll be a good experiment.

Link Posted: 3/14/2011 5:43:49 PM EDT
[#8]
should be fine if not over loaded. i tried the lumbar pack route. didnt care for them much.... but the newer one sout there with shoulder straps etc..kinda peak my intrest some......but not much,
Link Posted: 3/16/2011 3:46:00 PM EDT
[#9]
Here some pics of my kit.  I have it set up for 1 week because of my current situation.  If I had to guess I would say its upwords of 45lbs.  I need to find a better pack it though.  I think I have a really short torso, and I just get my old kelty pack adjusted just right.

Link Posted: 3/17/2011 6:22:35 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Jerad] [#10]
Here is what I'm assembling, I already own some of this and I'm working on the other stuff. I'm trying to set this up as a true bug out bag, a little more than just a 3 day pack. Many of the clothing items/shoes will be put on when grabbing this BOB, so they will most likely be in a plastic bag on the outside of the pack.  Any input is appreciated as this is a first for me.

Quantity

ITEM

Pack

Eagle
 Becker Patrol - MULTICAM

Clothing

set
 thermal undergarments

set
 poly underwear

Smart
 Wool socks

Gloves

Ripstop
 5.11 Cargo pants OD

Under Armor
 shirt - Long

Under Armor
 shirt - Short

Gortex
 Lined Merrell Hiking Boot

Soft Shell

bandanna

light
 weight shorts

Shelter

Poncho

Gortex
 Bivi

Northface
 sleeping bag - compressed

Thermarest
 backpacking pad

tent
 stakes (gutter Nails)

Hammock

Pack
 Cover

6x8
 Light weight tarp

Food

unpacked
 MREs

Tuna
 Foil packed

rice
 sides

1 lb
 Beef Jurkey

CLIF
 Bars

backpacking
 pot (works as cup/bowl)

Spork

can
 opener

Water

2L
 Camelbak bladder (Filled)

Platypus 1L bladder (empty unless needed)

Iodine
 Tablets

MSR
 Sweet Water water purifier & Extra filter

Misc.

Compass

Button
 Compass

Maps
 of area

sharpie

write in rain pen

write
 in rain pad

Duct
 tape

Multitool

Hatchet

wire
 saw

Fixed
 Blade Knife

Fenix
 TA21 Flashlight

Surefire Lithium - CR123

AA
 Lithium

PVS-14

Skull
Crusher PVS-14 mount

foot paracord

sunglasses/hard
 case

BCG
 glasses/hard case

Baseball
 hat

fleece/wool beanie

chemlights
 - Yellow

Chemlights
 - IR

IFAK

Small
 survival kit container

10 ft
 Fishing line

bobber

box
 waterproof matches

BIC
 lighter

MS2000
 Strobe

headlamp

sewing
 kit

electrical
 tape

steel
 and flint

Wind
 up radio

HD
 trash bags

tube
 of cotton rolls w/ Vaseline

tube
 of superglue

Hygiene

Toilet
 paper

toothbrush

floss

toothpaste/baking
 soda

handtowl

scissors

tweezers

nail
 clipper

bug
 spray

chap stick

sun block

wet wipes

bar soap

water

AR
 mags

Glock

glock
 mags

Slip2000

gun
 cleaning rag

ar15
 22 adapter

22lr
 magazine

rounds 22lr

EDIT: I suck as spelling...

Link Posted: 3/24/2011 7:25:51 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Combat_Diver] [#11]
Didn't read all 21 pages but one thing I'll add to those that have a Bug Out Loaction have you prestocked equipment/supplies there.  This would be a cache and there are three general types.

Burial- Pack in drums/ammo cans/plastic boxes and buried
Concealment- Could be in crates under a tarp/in a cave/building/storage shed etc
Sumerged- Packed in waterproofed containers and weighted down.  Make sure that bundle is secured to bottom to prevent drifting or surfacing.  Can be fresh or salt water.  If tides are a concern emplace during low tide.

On all caches make a cache report so you know where and how to uncover.  Items to be cached are items that are too heavy for you BOB that you might need for a prolong sustainment/enviroment conditions (winter), etc.

More reading
TC 31-29A Special Forces Caching Techniques
Caching Techniques

I did a burial cache in 2x 50 cal cans for 15 yrs in West Texas.  Contents were very serviceable after that time.  That's why it is important to make a good report for you forget small details after 15 yrs!

CD
Link Posted: 3/31/2011 1:15:39 PM EDT
[#12]
Originally Posted By mustangracer:
what saves weigh onmy end is i have no tent. i use the light weight tarps that i make as a hobby. they are all on avg under 6.5 OZ's.  i have two in this kit and they dont weigh over 9 oz's combined. and both are 5x8(7)'s.

Could you possibly post up a pic of these, I think it's a great idea and a helluva lot lighter than a tent.

this is one of the set ups. which im giving away as a present to a family memeber.
12oz with stakes and all.
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v54/protus/feb26.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v54/protus/decshelterfront.jpg

2nd one twice as big,, and 14.5 oz's loaded.
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v54/protus/may11.jpg

the others are plain jane 5x7(8)s with 8 tie downs. they fit in a zip lock
http://i111.photobucket.com/albums/n123/SOSprotus/P8060048.jpg
desert night camo

set ups like this arent the best but for light weight they cant be beat. i also use a bivy sacka nd even my .3miltrash bags as a foot pring.
The green one went through 3 days of non stop fla rain with out fail! sucked but i stayed dry!

Since you make these yourself, is there a company that makes them as well? I carry a tarp, but there is nothing light about it. Any info would be appreciated.
Link Posted: 5/14/2011 12:57:09 AM EDT
[Last Edit: floridahunter07] [#13]
Here is what I've got so far in an old L.L. Bean backpack (will be upgrading to a Kelty Redwing 3100 in a few weeks) that I keep in my trunk. I know at this moment there is no food or water in the bag but I always have food in my car and there is also a case of bottled water in my trunk too. This kit is in a serious upgrade phase (I got about half-way through last time I tried to build it and quit), so bear with me.

And yes, I have lived out of it overnight, two nights in a row. I went to my friend's house the first morning and showered, changed, etc. with clothes I had in my car, then the second evening went back out to the pasture and tried it again.

Off the top of my head, I know I need to add:

- Magnesium fire starter
- Another Bic lighter or two couldn't hurt
- Spare CR123 and AAA batteries
- Serious shelter (some kind of bag and/or light tent, anything would be better than that damn poncho)
- More 550 cord
- OTC meds (Benedryl, Ibuprofen, some kind of anti-diarrhea medicine, caffeine pills)
- Water purification method
- Super glue, few more feet of duct tape.
- Good fixed blade knife
- Clothing
- Rain gear (I HATE being wet, even in the dead of summer, not to mention the obvious other effects)
- Rite in Rain pad/pen/pencil
- Small spare AR parts
- Visor-mounted head lamp of some sort
- Light sticks (just gotta find them)
- Gloves (same as light sticks, I have a set of Mechanix-type gloves in my shooting gear somewhere)
- Spare eyeglasses (had two pairs of spares, broke my main ones and the spare pair in a period of two weeks right when I left for a Christmas trip and haven't gotten a cheap back-up pair)

LAPG Operator pants
3x socks
2x boxer briefs
Beanie cap
Boonie hat
Baseball cap (not pictured)

Roll of TP
Huggies wipes
Toothbrush and toothpaste
Baby powder
Preventil inhaler
Hand sanitizer
Razor
Prescription drugs (GSW to the elbow from a foot away leaves my arm sore as hell after I sleep in the dirt so I try to circumvent that if possible, but they aren't necessary by any means)

AR (most of the time if I go away it's in my trunk because my trips involve going shooting 90% of the time)
Glock 19 w/ TLR-1 (carry gun)
3 Pmags of M193
3 G19 mags of Ranger SXT
50 rounds Federal 9mm 115gr FMJ

Army poncho
50 feet of 550 cord
Windbreaker
3 large black garbage bags
Emergency poncho (not pictured)

Whistle
Gerber saw
Magic towel (vacuum sealed washcloth, basically, you put it in water and it grows to full size)
Sting kit
Potable aqua tabs and taste remover
Camelbak cleaning kit
35mm fishing kit
2-way radio (other one is charging)
Utensils
Pen with 8-10 feet of duct tape

Dryer lint
Matches
Bic lighter
Altoids pocket kit (matches, Bic lighter, Swiss Army knife, glasses repair kit, quarters for pay phone [is it obvious that hasn't been touched since I was 12? ])

3L Camelbak
2L Camelbak

IFAK

Like I said, I need some things... alcohol stove or small stove, more fire-starting options, some lightweight cooking stuff, food (Clif bars, oatmeal, Mountain House, etc), better shelter, blah blah blah, but all of this stuff has already served me well just for finding a place to sleep out of the elements.

It will be much, much better this summer.
Link Posted: 5/14/2011 2:10:43 PM EDT
[#14]
I've got a good BOB question that I don't think I've ever seen answered:

How do you organize everything inside?

I see all these great photos of the contents, but nobody ever shows how they pack their bags.

Do you guys like use ziplocs or mesh bags as internal dividers?
Link Posted: 5/14/2011 4:00:02 PM EDT
[#15]
I just put all like items in a ziploc bag as seen with the underwear and socks.

Link Posted: 5/14/2011 4:12:16 PM EDT
[#16]
OSTAG
Link Posted: 5/28/2011 7:42:06 AM EDT
[Last Edit: protus] [#17]

Originally Posted By malefactor:

Originally Posted By mustangracer:

what saves weigh onmy end is i have no tent. i use the light weight tarps that i make as a hobby. they are all on avg under 6.5 OZ's.  i have two in this kit and they dont weigh over 9 oz's combined. and both are 5x8(7)'s.

Could you possibly post up a pic of these, I think it's a great idea and a helluva lot lighter than a tent.

this is one of the set ups. which im giving away as a present to a family memeber.

12oz with stakes and all.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v54/protus/feb26.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v54/protus/decshelterfront.jpg

2nd one twice as big,, and 14.5 oz's loaded.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v54/protus/may11.jpg

the others are plain jane 5x7(8)s with 8 tie downs. they fit in a zip lock

http://i111.photobucket.com/albums/n123/SOSprotus/P8060048.jpg

desert night camo

set ups like this arent the best but for light weight they cant be beat. i also use a bivy sacka nd even my .3miltrash bags as a foot pring.

The green one went through 3 days of non stop fla rain with out fail! sucked but i stayed dry!

Since you make these yourself, is there a company that makes them as well? I carry a tarp, but there is nothing light about it. Any info would be appreciated.

Most places sell them ( REI,CAMPMOR) but they wontbe OD,tan etc, or be as light.

There is a person here that sells them.

look up THEREISNOSPOON.

If you have a basic machine and skills it'll take a newb about 10$ and 1 hours time to make one.

here is my films showing how to.

hope that helps.

Link Posted: 5/28/2011 7:45:11 AM EDT
[#18]

Originally Posted By floridahunter07:

zip locks. light,cheap.

Fla hunter have you humped that redwing with all that stuff for any distance( sans weapons)..or just camped out of it.

Link Posted: 6/15/2011 10:28:12 PM EDT
[#19]
Sill need some things and to get rid if some thinks but overall I like it so far but only time will tell more.

Link Posted: 6/17/2011 2:10:24 PM EDT
[#21]
SHOOTER101 - Do i spy a bunch of county comm gear?
Link Posted: 6/17/2011 7:26:20 PM EDT
[#22]
Link Posted: 6/17/2011 7:54:12 PM EDT
[#23]
Originally Posted By gunselman:
SHOOTER101 - Do i spy a bunch of county comm gear?

Yeah there is a few peices mixed in there.
Link Posted: 6/18/2011 1:54:12 PM EDT
[#24]

Originally Posted By FairlyLaidBack:

I see all these great photos of the contents, but nobody ever shows how they pack their bags.

really good question, IMO.  I use stuff sacks, for which i catch flak from the ultralighters.  they're right––i probably have a full pound of bags inside my pack––but i just hate chasing little things around the bottom of the main compartment.  i have a top-open, which is packed from bottom to top as follows:

-30deg sleeping bag

-jetboil/food bag

-water filter

-hygiene/repair kit/BBK

-socks, watch cap, scarf

with my collapsible rod/fishing kit in one of the two reservoir pockets inside the main compartment.

Link Posted: 6/24/2011 11:51:56 AM EDT
[#26]

really good question, IMO.  I use stuff sacks, for which i catch flak from the ultralighters.  they're right––i probably have a full pound of bags inside my pack––but i just hate chasing little things around the bottom of the main compartment.  i have a top-open, which is packed from bottom to top as follows:

-30deg sleeping bag

-jetboil/food bag

-water filter

-hygiene/repair kit/BBK

-socks, watch cap, scarf

with my collapsible rod/fishing kit in one of the two reservoir pockets inside the main compartment.

i run it similar.

bottom to top

sleepbag

clothes

h20 bladder

food

fluff

filter

fak

Since im running the kelty falcon,  i pack my stuff with heavy items at the center line and high, with soft items filling the sides . My therma rest is shoved on one side, shelter,ground sheet,water filter stacked on the other.

in front of the bladder  goes clothes,then my heavy food, then any grab now fluff items( camera,gloves, watch cap or rain gear) my cook set and pistol.

lil items like flash lights,fire kits all get put in zip locks and put in the smaller pouches.

I keep the what i would grab items in those, zip locked. the stuff in the main part of the pack is all items i wont need till i set camp,.

Link Posted: 7/28/2011 9:52:52 PM EDT
[#28]
Mine is more of a GHB/BOB. I drive a truck for work & am routinely 130-150 miles (by road) from home daily. This, to me, is what I need to make it home pending a SHTF walk-out event.

The bag is an Academy closeout special that was in the hunting section. Aprox. 2500-3000 cu. w/2L hydration bladder. It also has two external pockets-one on each side and a seperate exterior bag that is aprox. 12x18x4. Both the main & attached bag have molle & d-ring attachment points. It also has a rifle/bow compression holder w/support between the two bags.

I am carring the following:

Shelter&Bedding:
6x8 tarp(this needs upgraded for lightweight one).
Lightweight rainsuit-from MC kit.
Lw fleece blnkt

Cooking:
MSR whisperlite intrnl +2 22oz btls
MSR Backlite 2l/1L nested w/wspr lite inside.
Wmart alum. nested ck/dnr set with hobo knife/fork/spoon&cup.
OR Camp kitchen set w/various spices

Fire:
Bic lghtr/wp matches/magnsm fstr/ dryr lint/0000 st wool

Food:
4 MRE complete
2 MH dinners
3 Inst oatmeal w/brn sugar
2 Inst grits/cream of wheat
3 Protien bars(good flvr balanced carbs/protien since I'm diabetic gotta watch this)
2 3.?? Oz sunflower kernels (fluff 4 me)
4 Gaterade drk mxs (fp/org/LmLn)

Water:
Above mentioned hydration bldr 2L
Kydn Hiker Pro
Purification tabs for gardia & cys??
1 16.9 oz btl water (mainly 4 measuring water when cooking.)

Sanitation&Hygene:
Sm btl dawn extra(in trial size btl)
Aprox 20-30 sentfree wetwipes
Razor
Trvl toothbrush w/ toothpaste
Shamwow type towel
Sentfree antiperspirant

Fak&Medical/personal :
Enhanced j&j fak(added 2 ace bndgs,purel,10 qc 4x4 spongs,10 qc 2x2 spngs,neosporin,4pr exam glvs lrg,&2lrg compression bndgs)
All personal diabetic meds
Old perscrpt glasses in hardcase

Tools&Security:
1911 (I have ccp)
3 extra mags & holster/carriers
50 extra PDX1 rounds
Gerber fixed blade
Kershaw leek(always on me)
Diamond stone small
Schrade multi tool

Misc.:
100 +/- yds paracord
2 mesh gamebags
Sml spool camp twine
Cleaning kit for pistol
Spare recoil sprng/ firing pin&spring
Sm btl 100% deet
Fishing kit minus pole

Almost forgot:
Clothing:
2 pr wm med duty cargo pants- 1 tan 1 sage or brush green
2 t-shirts (wife beaters my daughter says) brown & green
3pr extra socks
4pr bxrs
2 lngslvd overshirts tan green

I know this setup weights 31lbs & weight will diminish some as I go. I am looking at a minimum of 4-6 days on foot to get home from furthest point.
Water in route not a problem- plenty lakes & flowing streams.

Hit the list & let me know what you think please. In my opinion, I don't know everything yet- I'm still alive & learning.
Link Posted: 8/4/2011 10:47:13 PM EDT
[#29]
Originally Posted By Toyforever:
Mine is more of a GHB/BOB. I drive a truck for work & am routinely 130-150 miles (by road) from home daily. This, to me, is what I need to make it home pending a SHTF walk-out event.

The bag is an Academy closeout special that was in the hunting section. Aprox. 2500-3000 cu. w/2L hydration bladder. It also has two external pockets-one on each side and a seperate exterior bag that is aprox. 12x18x4. Both the main & attached bag have molle & d-ring attachment points. It also has a rifle/bow compression holder w/support between the two bags.

Shelter&Bedding:
Lw fleece blnkt

Cooking:

Fire:

Food:
4 MRE complete
2 MH dinners
3 Protien bars(good flvr balanced carbs/protien since I'm diabetic gotta watch this)

Water:
Kydn Hiker Pro

Sanitation&Hygene:
Razor
Shamwow type towel
Sentfree antiperspirant

Fak&Medical/personal :
Enhanced j&j fak(added 2 ace bndgs,purel,10 qc 4x4 spongs,10 qc 2x2 spngs,neosporin,4pr exam glvs lrg,&2lrg compression bndgs)

Tools&Security:
1911 (I have ccp)
50 extra PDX1 rounds
Gerber fixed blade
Diamond stone small
Schrade multi tool

Misc.:
100 +/- yds paracord
2 mesh gamebags
Sml spool camp twine
Cleaning kit for pistol
Sm btl 100% deet
Fishing kit minus pole

Almost forgot:
Clothing:
3pr extra socks
4pr bxrs

I know this setup weights 31lbs & weight will diminish some as I go. I am looking at a minimum of 4-6 days on foot to get home from furthest point.

Hit the list & let me know what you think please. In my opinion, I don't know everything yet- I'm still alive & learning.
[/quote

rifle????
Link Posted: 8/7/2011 5:27:34 PM EDT
[#30]
Originally Posted By fpd164:
Originally Posted By Toyforever:

Shelter&Bedding:
Lw fleece blnkt

Cooking:

Fire:

Food:
4 MRE complete
2 MH dinners

Water:
Kydn Hiker Pro

Sanitation&Hygene:
Razor
Shamwow type towel
Sentfree antiperspirant

Fak&Medical/personal :

Tools&Security:
1911 (I have ccp)
50 extra PDX1 rounds
Gerber fixed blade
Diamond stone small
Schrade multi tool

Misc.:
100 +/- yds paracord
2 mesh gamebags
Sml spool camp twine
Cleaning kit for pistol
Sm btl 100% deet
Fishing kit minus pole

Almost forgot:
Clothing:
3pr extra socks
4pr bxrs

[/quote

rifle????

Would love to have my ar- BUT- Weapon of any kind against company policy & I haven't figured out a way to break it down far enought NOT to be recognizable. Too many people I work with are avid shooters/hunters and would spot it right away. With the current situation now I do not need to give anybody at work amunition with which to get myself fired. As far as the pistol goes- concealed means concealed!- it I can't do that properly I don't need it to begin with. Also, my stance is, better to beg forgiveness than to ask permission when I know what the answer will be. I am looking at possibly a couple throw away/beaters that I could geocaches(sp?) Somewhere alog my route as a possible solution. Anybody have more questions or constructive words for me?  Thanks to the hive I am working to make this the best possible for my situation.
Link Posted: 8/12/2011 8:51:35 PM EDT
[#31]
Small auto pistol in your boot?  
Link Posted: 8/19/2011 6:34:08 PM EDT
[Last Edit: tack87] [#32]
I am just getting ready to convert my old camping backpack to a nice new bob. Unlike alot of what I read here I am going on the extremely light side. I will pretty much just have the following.
Taruas 45acp w/ 2 spare mags
ar-15 2 spare mags
multi tool
pocket knife
sharpening stone
flashlight w/ xtra batt.
compass
map
folding saw
magnesium block flint striker
zippo 2 bics
water proof matches
dryer lint vasoline combo
duct tape
550 cord
cup
small pot
book of safe plants/fungi
am/fm radio
foil
buck knife
fishin line
fish hooks
jacket
watch cap
thermal shirt/pants
socks
gloves
space blanket
tarp
bandages
gause
peroxide
alcohol wipes
100oz camelbak
beef jerky
power bars
freeze dried food
harmonica
that is about all i've got. Any comments are wedlcome.
Oh yeah and some dog food and bowl if I can get to the dog when I BO, I wich case he has his own bob.
Link Posted: 8/21/2011 5:38:16 PM EDT
[#33]
Just some pics....At work and real busy right now so I dont have the time to list items in the pack....I'll get to that later...

Bug Out Bag and Vehicle
Link Posted: 8/21/2011 9:27:28 PM EDT
[#34]
Originally Posted By 2StateTrigger:
Just some pics....At work and real busy right now so I dont have the time to list items in the pack....I'll get to that later...

Bug Out Bag and Vehicle

very cool
Link Posted: 8/23/2011 1:32:54 AM EDT
[#35]
Originally Posted By blt-2-drg:
I have been trying to come up with a lightweight pack lately for a SHTF situation. I do have other more extensive gear packed up and ready to bug out aswell as gear stored in the truck. My thinking behind something lightweight is i have a daughter that will be here this month so grabbing her and her bag will be priority and i dont want 50 pounds of gear on my back.

The bag is a TAG Sustainment pack. Its nice and small, measures 16 inches tall and 9 inches wide. It carries 3 AR mags and 1 pistol mag on it.

http://i8.photobucket.com/albums/a28/blt2drg/Gunbroker/DSC04907.jpg

Contents of bottom outside pouch:
1 pr gloves
MSR pack towell
Extra batteries
Spare AR parts
Otis cleaning kit
http://i8.photobucket.com/albums/a28/blt2drg/Gunbroker/DSC04908.jpg

Contents of middle outside pouch:
Fresh bath wipes
Water purification tablets
Stainless steel pot
Tin foil
wetfire tinder
lighter
Fire Starter
Clif Bar
Organic fruit snacks
Hard candy
Flavored drink mix
Adventure Medical kits pocket survival kit
Anti monkey butt wipes
Eating utensil
2 glow sticks
http://i8.photobucket.com/albums/a28/blt2drg/Gunbroker/DSC04910.jpg

Contents of top outside pouch:
Para cord
Gorilla tape
Zip ties
Knife sharpener
Compass
Gerber saw
Go towell
Gerber Axle head/vest light
Pepper spray
Clif bar
Insect repellent
Itch relief spray
http://i8.photobucket.com/albums/a28/blt2drg/Gunbroker/DSC04912.jpg

Contents of Large back pouch:
2 MRE’s
2 contractor grade trash bags
Egret Equinox 8x10 nylon tarp
1-pr socks
Sewing kit
2 packs of waterproof matches
Pocket fishing kit
Loctite brand waterproof super glue
Duct tape
Emergency bivvy sack
Emergency foil blanket
1 roll of camp toilet paper
http://i8.photobucket.com/albums/a28/blt2drg/Gunbroker/DSC04913.jpg

I surprisingly have some room left so suggestions are welcome. I have an “original space blanket” brand all weather blanket coming to replace the foil one.  Also, this pack is meant to go with my chest rig. It can even attach to the back of it. You’ll notice things missing from this like first aid, hydration, knife, and multitool because they are all on my chest rig.

That's a really nice set up but it doesn't really have a defined purpose.  Where would you need a stainless steal pot, Gerber saw, and a fishing kit when you don't even have a change of clothes, gortex type outerwear, sleeping bag, or some sort of semi-permanent shelter?  It's half geared towards an overnight trip home on foot and half geared toward setting up camp off the grid for a long haul.  I don't know anything about your climate but it just seems unbalanced.

With that said, that's a nice sized bag for as much stuff as you have crammed in there.  If there was a secure way to attach a stuff bag with shelter and clothes, I'd consider picking one up.
Link Posted: 8/30/2011 7:54:31 PM EDT
[#36]
Ok, I want to play.  My bag serves multiple purposes and I think that's killing me on weight.

Purpose 1:  USMC Reserve 2 - 4 day field drills
You'll notice a lot of it is USMC issued gear.  The stuff pictured is stuff I got surplus because if I quit the reserves and have to turn in my gear, I don't want to have to turn in half my BOB to supply.  But this is what I take to the field for drills plus flak, Kevlar, mission specific gear, etc.
Purpose 2: Backpacking
Hence lots of shelter.  I like to be comfy.
Purpose 3: Law Enforcement
I'm on call 24/7 as a part of a chase team to track down and recapture escaped detainees/prisoners/inmates in the desert on foot.  We're required to keep a bag ready to deploy for 3-5 days off the grid and this is it.
Purpose 4: BOB/GHB
There's not a lot of added weight in "survival" type stuff but there is some in my Camelbak.

Climate:  Arizona desert, 800ft
Weather:  Winter 35-45 lows and 60-70 highs, Summer 80-90 lows and 110-120 highs

Load Bearing Gear   (This elaborate LBV, duty belt, and leg rigs are for work, I'd strip a lot of it for BO and shave some pounds)
-Camelbak Delta 5 Vest 3.1L bladder
2x double M4 mag pouch w/ 4 30rd mags
Baton Pouch w/ 26" baton
Com pouch w/ HT1000 radio
FB pouch w/ OC spray or M4 suppressor
Admin Pouch w/ Olight M20, Bruton compass, and AO topo maps
Dump bag
Flex Cuffs x4

-Duty Belt
w/ 2 mag pouch w/ 2 15rd Glock 22 magazines
Hand cuff pouch w/ S&W cuffs
PPE pouch w/ pocket resuscitator
Gerber multi-tool in pouch

-Left leg rig
Molle platform
USMC IFAK w/ hand sanitizer and other small stuff added
Monocular
Pouch for GPS
Pouch for 2 additional M4 mags

-Right leg rig
Blade Tech leg rig w/ Glock
Streamlight TLR-1
Gerber fixed blade back up knife

1 Day Pack (This is also for work when we do 1 day training.  We typically do 8-20 miles on foot in the desert.  But it doubles as my hiking day trip pack and I carry it in my truck daily)
-Camelbak Assault pack 3.1L (clips to LBV w/ S-carabiners or worn by shoulder straps)
Camelbak Elixer tablets
Camelbak cleaning kit w/ extra bite valve
Water purification pills
MSR inline filter for bladder
Red Chem Lights x5
1 MRE
Spork
OTIS sniper cleaning kit

-Small blue stuff sack pocket survival kit (in Camelbak Assault pack)
Zip ties, tin foil, duct tape, electrical tape, 550 cord, and wire
Wipes
Water purification tablets
Magnesium fire starter w/ dryer lint
Emergency blankets x2
Extra 18650 battery and CR123 batteries
Soap strips
Mirror
Salt & pepper
Ear pro
Emergency Poncho
Wire Saw
Knife sharpener
Fishing kit
Sewing kit

Bug out bag 2-5 days (Arcteryx ILBE main pack)

-Shelter
Catoma EBNS 1 man tent

-Compression Sack
USMC Poncho liner
USMC Field tarp
USMC sleeping bag
USMC Bivy sack
Big Anges sleeping pad

- Red stuff sack
Desert Gortex
Gloves, beenie and shemagh

-Green stuff sack
2 pair extra boot socks + liners
2 ex t-shirt
2 ex skivy

-Small black hygiene sack
Hand Sanitizer
Wipes
Toothbrush w/ paste
Travel bar of soap
Razor w/ shave cream
Repel 100 insect repellent
SPF 100 Sun Block
Toilet Paper compressed by food vacuum preserver
Laundry Net bag
Travel deodorant
Water pure tablets
Wash cloth

-Tools
K-bar
Canteen w/ Canteen cup and heating stand
Solar charger in Pelican 1150 case

-Food
3 MREs

5 Days+:
Add as many additional MREs and dry stock food I could stuff
Extra BDUs
Higher Capacity water filtration/purification equipment (don't have yet, no impact no idea)

50* temp or less:
USMC waterproofing bag
Gortex cold weather bottoms
Gortex cold weather top
-30* sleeping bag
Cold weather socks and gloves
Thermal top and bottom

The 5 day+ list and cold weather gear would go in a vehicle if I were headed to a very cold climate for some reason.  It doesn't get cold enough to carry any of that stuff in AZ.  But excluding those, this stuff is still pretty heavy.  With 6.2 liters of water, 4 MREs, duty gear, and survival gear, it weighs about 55lbs without rifle and ammo.  My LBV and leg rigs are 17lbs of that number because of the Glock w/ mags and 3.1l water bladder.  That leaves the main pack at 38 lbs w/ the Camelbak Assault pack strapped to the side.  I know I have a lot in the shelter department and could probably shave weight there.  And my pack is over kill.  It's the most comfortable pack I've ever worn once set up properly.  But I'm using maybe 3/4s of it and it's a heavy chunk of equipment on it's own.  It's a big pack, but I'm a big guy.  I'm 6'5" 210lbs, in my late 20s, and in the shape I need to be in for both my LEO and USMC careers.  So I can pack this many, many miles, but it still sucks lol.  I haven't weighed my AR and 7 mags but I'm sure that will add another 12-15 lbs or more.

So anything I'm missing?  Anything completely useless and added weight?  I'd say the best thing about the combination of duty gear + the BOB is how the weight is distributed all over my body.  That makes it easier than trying to carry 55-70lbs just on my shoulders/back.

Pics:  (duty gear w/ attached gear is at work in my locker and so is the stuff listed under "tools".  No pic of that junk, sorry)
Main Pack

w/ Camelbak on side

Contents as labeled above (I didn't feel like opening and then repacking all of the stuff sacks for pictures... sorry

Everything inside and plenty of room left inside the main pack and the top compartment is empty.  But plenty heavy already
Link Posted: 8/31/2011 4:54:23 AM EDT
[#37]

Originally Posted By the_end:

Contents as labeled above (I didn't feel like opening and then repacking all of the stuff sacks for pictures... sorry

http://i165.photobucket.com/albums/u75/leesimons00/IMAG0331.jpg

if you want to save a little weight and a ton of space, but don't want to give up your MREs, you can fit 2 complete MREs in 1 pouch by stripping the packaging, repacking them in one pouch, and then duct taping the pouch closed.  if you get rid of some of the support items, you can fit 3 entrees, spoon, tabascos, and crackers/drink mixes in one pouch.  i lean towards MH for weight savings, but i have 1 pouch set up the second way for quick calories and/or water shortages.

Link Posted: 8/31/2011 5:13:59 PM EDT
[#38]

Originally Posted By the_end:

http://i165.photobucket.com/albums/u75/leesimons00/IMAG0331.jpg

if you want to save a little weight and a ton of space, but don't want to give up your MREs, you can fit 2 complete MREs in 1 pouch by stripping the packaging, repacking them in one pouch, and then duct taping the pouch closed.  if you get rid of some of the support items, you can fit 3 entrees, spoon, tabascos, and crackers/drink mixes in one pouch.  i lean towards MH for weight savings, but i have 1 pouch set up the second way for quick calories and/or water shortages.

Thanks for the input.  I was actually planning on doing that until I figured out I was no where close to using all the room in my pack.  And I don't think shaving less than a pound is worth the trouble honestly.  Those MRE bags do a great job of holding water and other things, and the cardboard can be used for fuel.  Doesn't really hurt to keep them.  I did strip the MRE that goes in my Camelbak though and it's about 1/2 the size of a new MRE in the bag.
Link Posted: 9/8/2011 9:55:00 AM EDT
[#39]
if i may add.. All of these kits are great ideas... but I have seen no one say non-lubricated condoms :)  

They are great for holding water/ purifying water via the sun
Light weight and hardly take up space

If your worried about breaking the condom you just put it in a sock or stocking

I'm sure there are tons of other uses for a condom but these are what I have used them for other then what they are intended for :)

Anyone ever see what else a condom can be use for in a survival situation...
Link Posted: 9/8/2011 10:06:02 AM EDT
[#40]
Originally Posted By Damack:
if i may add.. All of these kits are great ideas... but I have seen no one say non-lubricated condoms :)  

They are great for holding water/ purifying water via the sun
Light weight and hardly take up space

If your worried about breaking the condom you just put it in a sock or stocking

I'm sure there are tons of other uses for a condom but these are what I have used them for other then what they are intended for :)

Anyone ever see what else a condom can be use for in a survival situation...

Used condoms as urniuals when living in holes underground for lengths of time.  Tie off and try not to bust them inside the hidesite.

CD
Link Posted: 9/12/2011 2:12:18 AM EDT
[#41]
Is anyone using a wheeled device of any kind instead of a 'backpack' type of bag.

I'm leery of humping a lot of weight that I could just as easily tote behind me.

For example.....anyone using an airline carry-on, a wheeled cooler, or similar drag-behind type of container?

I'm particularly interested in something with wheels sufficient to navigate rough terrain.
Link Posted: 9/12/2011 3:03:24 AM EDT
[#42]
Originally Posted By Titan_2:
Is anyone using a wheeled device of any kind instead of a 'backpack' type of bag.

I'm leery of humping a lot of weight that I could just as easily tote behind me.

For example.....anyone using an airline carry-on, a wheeled cooler, or similar drag-behind type of container?

I'm particularly interested in something with wheels sufficient to navigate rough terrain.

If any use large wheels!

CD

Link Posted: 9/13/2011 5:05:41 AM EDT
[#43]

i've considered this numerous times for a kind of "super-bob" for additional supplies, but i've yet to find any consumer-grade cart that would work.  the new marine rolling footlocker was interesting, but the price plus the tiny wheels was a turnoff.  i've also thought about those bicycle trailers, but i think that someone could fab a better one for less money, and i haven't put the time into it.

Link Posted: 9/13/2011 5:59:40 AM EDT
[#44]
suggest looking at some hunters big game carts.

CD
Link Posted: 9/16/2011 10:42:09 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Edvvard] [#45]
Link Posted: 9/18/2011 11:15:21 AM EDT
[#46]

I use Kifaru's lightweight pullouts.  They work wonders, and when not in use compact down to nothing.

Link Posted: 9/18/2011 2:08:28 PM EDT
[#47]

weight is weight.

drag or carry, just different muscle groups. If your not used to it, expect issues.

Link Posted: 9/18/2011 2:26:04 PM EDT
[#48]

Originally Posted By floridahunter07:

zip locks. light,cheap.

Fla hunter have you humped that redwing with all that stuff for any distance( sans weapons)..or just camped out of it.

I don't have the Redwing yet, it's all in an old backpack I keep in my trunk. I've camped out of it, haven't hiked with it anywhere.
Link Posted: 9/18/2011 9:43:31 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Morg308] [#49]
FWIW the Viet Cong (NVA, Viet Minh etc) used bicycles to haul hundreds of pounds of material. They didn't ride them, just pushed them. I figure you could probably mount 4 MOLLE II main packs (I paid $15 shipped for my last one) as panniers pretty easily. WHy you would want this much gear if your main purpose is to get to your BOL where you should already have the gear stashed, I don't know, but two large packs as rear panniers and two small 3 day packs as front panniers could carry a lot of food if you had a long way to go.

As far as pouches go, external pouches like to tear off ALICE packs, so I tore three (using a blade) off a medium ALICE. I use the main body w/o straps as a large 'kitchen' bag for stove, plates, pots etc. for camping, the smaller pockets work great for things like water filters etc. The German Gebirgsjager used colored tabs on their internal pouches to easily identify what they are. I believe the 10th Mt Division ended up using a similiar system - I've heard reference to it but have never seen any pouches. Campmore has small fleece zipped 'pockets' also.
Link Posted: 9/21/2011 11:37:29 PM EDT
[#50]
Well I have read a lot of this thread impressive and intended to read more. Now I haven't come to this idea and forgive me if it did come up but what if you take down .22 lr and a box of 50 with you. I live in the middle of nowhere and a lot of squirell rabbits. and if u get close enough you could take a deer if need be. I know alot of these take downs only wear 1-2 of so. Just want to hear advice on it.

Also In my BoB i carry fishing line and hooks doesnt take alot of room and just about any stick makes a good fishing rod. May not work for all but would work for us northerners for sure

P.S. I do know you cant survive on game alone
Page / 24
Tacked BOB what it should be. (Page 11 of 24)
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top