Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 6
Link Posted: 4/14/2017 10:42:45 PM EDT
[#1]
Profiled, sharpened, and first coat of BLO.

Link Posted: 4/15/2017 4:06:19 PM EDT
[#2]
My submission to this thread. 1.5 lb head made in West Germany.25 inches overall length.

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 4/15/2017 6:21:50 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
My submission to this thread. 1.5 lb head made in West Germany.25 inches overall length.

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/309434/PicsArt-04-15-04-187982.JPG
View Quote
That is a great combination. That would make a great pack axe and all around camp axe.
Link Posted: 4/16/2017 1:34:55 PM EDT
[#4]
View Quote
I'm dying to try this axe later this afternoon. I hope the rain holds off.
Link Posted: 4/16/2017 5:37:13 PM EDT
[#5]
I had a couple victims in mind to test this little axe out.

The one on the right is dead standing and hard as heck. I could not get the cut to open up at all. It was rock hard. Zero damage cutting it down. The one on the left was the other one I wanted to knock down. The middle one is staying. This picture is the one on the left.

It absolutely destroyed the green one. It cut deep! It took less than a minute on this little 6" thick tree. It was butter. Still no edge damage and still shaving.

Limbing was stupid......scary.....effortless. Did I mention....fun? LOL!

I love to take pictures of the axes in natural light. You can see the color much better.

This is with another favorite, a no name that I believe is West German that is 24", 3 lb 5 oz, and has a 2 3/8# head. The newest axe is 27 3/8", 3 lb 6 oz, with a 2 1/2# head. Good luck trying to pick a favorite there!

Link Posted: 4/16/2017 7:35:48 PM EDT
[#6]
Haven't checked this thread for quite a while.  Looking at it again today inspired me to take pictures of 2 of mine.  Norlund about 45 years old and a H&B felling axe I got from Jarrod in February.
The H&B is hand forged.
Workmanship on our hand forged tomahawks and other products is done completely by owner,  Jarrod Barber, and is guaranteed for life. We use
type 1095 steel in our hawk and axe bits, which runs down the center of
the blade. That is wrapped with 1018 steel. This is the same hand
forging process used hundreds of years ago, ensuring the best -and most
authentic- quality. New Handle finishing: We are now burnishing our handles which gives them an aged look. You will find them to be
smoother, a little shinier and with an overall nicer finish. You can now
order spare handles finished like this as well.
View Quote
Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

Instead of buying the sheath from H&B  I made my own.  The original sheath for the Norlund had deteriorated and is no longer usable.  I plan to make a new one as soon as I have time.

H&B felling axe 
Link Posted: 4/16/2017 7:47:52 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Haven't checked this thread for quite a while.  Looking at it again today inspired me to take pictures of 2 of mine.  Norlund about 45 years old and a H&B felling axe I got from Jarrod in February.
The H&B is hand forged.

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/64775/DSCN2083-188914.JPG
https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/64775/DSCN2091-188915.JPG
https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/64775/DSCN2095-188916.JPG
https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/64775/DSCN2094-188918.JPG
Instead of buying the sheath from H&B  I made my own.  The original sheath for the Norlund had deteriorated and is no longer usable.  I plan to make a new one as soon as I have time.

H&B felling axe 
View Quote
That Felling Axe is beautiful. What is the head weight?
Link Posted: 4/16/2017 7:56:35 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

View Quote
He doesn't list a weight but the head and handle weigh 2.54 lbs  length is 28.5 inches. He makes his own handles.  Leaves the lathe marks on the lower handle for grip. Sands the upper portion then finishes them.  I wanted a little more oil on mine so gave it another coat of BLO.  It isn't a cheap axe but they are very nice and cut excellent.
Check out his website.  All his work is excellent.
Link Posted: 4/16/2017 8:14:58 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

View Quote
I see you are from Ohio.  I don't know what part but they are made in north central Ohio.  Shiloh, OH. South of Sandusky.
Link Posted: 4/17/2017 7:36:45 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
I see you are from Ohio.  I don't know what part but they are made in north central Ohio.  Shiloh, OH. South of Sandusky.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Those axes are a bit out of my price range right now. Most of my new axes I bought with airline miles, or they were really cheap! LOL!

Most of my collection came from the flea market or ebay. Heck, I just bought a West German Boys axe head for $20 on Ebay last night.
Link Posted: 4/17/2017 9:32:26 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

Those axes are a bit out of my price range right now. Most of my new axes I bought with airline miles, or they were really cheap! LOL!

Most of my collection came from the flea market or ebay. Heck, I just bought a West German Boys axe head for $20 on Ebay last night.
View Quote
Yes it is expensive. Since I do blacksmithing and have made tomahawks, hammers, knives and other stuff I know there is a lot of work in one of those.  They are high quality and real nice if you are into historical reenactment.  Well worth the money if you can afford one.
Link Posted: 4/20/2017 6:21:43 PM EDT
[#12]
I swear some of these handle companies don't care much about how their products represent them. That being said, I bought this boy's axe handle because it's so screwed up.....

They put the massively oversized shoulder, if you can call it that, at least a couple inches lower than normal. This allowed me to move the head down for a shorter over all length. I didn't want to go all the way to 24", so I was pleased that it came out to 26.5" over all. They screw up, I win. At least the grain orientation is pretty decent.

I bought this 2 1/4 German head on Ebay for $20 delivered! It's really nice! It needed reprofiled and sharpened, but not much other than wire brushing the head. The steel is made of wood pecker lips...... It's really beautiful!

Link Posted: 4/21/2017 7:12:26 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
I swear some of these handle companies don't care much about how their products represent them. That being said, I bought this boy's axe handle because it's so screwed up.....

http://i75.photobucket.com/albums/i307/batmanacw/gear/20170420_170934_zpsh2o1ri20.jpghttp://i75.photobucket.com/albums/i307/batmanacw/gear/20170420_171001_zpsivuyf0hj.jpg

They put the massively oversized shoulder, if you can call it that, at least a couple inches lower than normal. This allowed me to move the head down for a shorter over all length. I didn't want to go all the way to 24", so I was pleased that it came out to 26.5" over all. They screw up, I win. At least the grain orientation is pretty decent.

I bought this 2 1/4 German head on Ebay for $20 delivered! It's really nice! It needed reprofiled and sharpened, but not much other than wire brushing the head. The steel is made of wood pecker lips...... It's really beautiful!

http://i75.photobucket.com/albums/i307/batmanacw/gear/20170420_165704_zpst2hgpwsl.jpghttp://i75.photobucket.com/albums/i307/batmanacw/gear/20170420_165725_zpsreu9jdta.jpg
View Quote
Damn that's beautiful! Good work!
Link Posted: 4/21/2017 7:13:36 PM EDT
[#14]
dupe
Link Posted: 4/22/2017 1:56:04 AM EDT
[#15]
batmanacw, how are you liking your Council Tool Wood-Craft axe? I'm thinking about getting one. Also still considering buying a 2lb head off of Ebay and restoring/mounting it on a 23"-24" handle.

Link Posted: 4/22/2017 7:57:04 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
batmanacw, how are you liking your Council Tool Wood-Craft axe? I'm thinking about getting one. Also still considering buying a 2lb head off of Ebay and restoring/mounting it on a 23"-24" handle.

https://images-na.ssl-images-amazon.com/images/I/618ikeekHAL._SL1500_.jpg
View Quote
I like the axe over all. It's a great quality tool. I'm still not convinced that the flat grind is the way to go. I have a very respectful disagreement with designer Craig Roost about that point. I left mine flat for more experimentation.

It does chop well and it's worth the money just for the quality.

You can buy just about any vintage 2 lb head off ebay and make an axe just as capable. Buy a Wetterlings or Beaver Tooth 24" handle and choose the edge you want.
Link Posted: 4/22/2017 10:51:31 PM EDT
[#17]
I tried to take a group picture of my German axes but of course, I missed one.

Left to right

26.5" and 3 lb 0.6 oz German 2.25# head

23.5" and 2 lb 2.2 oz German 600g/1.3# head

20.5" and 2 lb 12.7 oz German surp. 2.2# head Sportsmans guide

18" and  2 lb 14.5 oz West Germany 2.25# head

The missing one:

26.5" 2 lb 3.1 oz West German 1.5# head

The one I mentioned in the other thread is on its way probably next week.

Show me your German axes!
Link Posted: 4/25/2017 12:16:45 AM EDT
[#18]
I went ahead and ordered the Council Tool Wood-Craft Pack Axe with the 24" handle. It should be here tomorrow.

Link Posted: 4/25/2017 7:59:45 AM EDT
[#19]
here's my wiebelhaus.  i need to take new pics of the finished axe.

Link Posted: 4/26/2017 4:48:45 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

I like the axe over all. It's a great quality tool. I'm still not convinced that the flat grind is the way to go. I have a very respectful disagreement with designer Craig Roost about that point. I left mine flat for more experimentation.

You can buy just about any vintage 2 lb head off ebay and make an axe just as capable. Buy a Wetterlings or Beaver Tooth 24" handle and choose the edge you want.
View Quote
I received my Pack Axe today. The fit/finish is superb. It's simply a work of art as beautiful as tools go. I kind of feel bad thinking about getting it dirty, but I can't wait to chop some wood with it.
Link Posted: 4/26/2017 8:03:29 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
I received my Pack Axe today. The fit/finish is superb. It's simply a work of art as beautiful as tools go. I kind of feel bad thinking about getting it dirty, but I can't wait to chop some wood with it.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Let us know what you think.
Link Posted: 4/26/2017 3:49:32 PM EDT
[#22]
I just bought a GB Wildlife hatchet. Thoughts and pictures coming later.
Link Posted: 4/26/2017 8:27:54 PM EDT
[#23]
I stopped by Lehman's Hardware to see if they had any GB Small Forest Axes and they were out. They did have Wildlife Hatchets, Hand Axes, Mini Hatchets, and different splitting axes. They also had a comprehensive stock of Hults Bruk axes!

I learned a lot about Gransfors Bruks today. I looked through every single Wildlife Hatchet to find the best one out of 8 examples. I also went through every single Mini Hatchet. I learned something important.....

I am never going to order a Gransfors Bruk sight unseen.

Every one of them but a couple would have needed reprofiled to create an even, consistent convex. Many had flats in the edge at random spots, facets in the convex, or flatter convex on one side. A few had unacceptable gaps in the hang on all but a couple.

The handles were pretty nice. No nasty tear out like I've seen before.

The edge was shaving sharp over most of the length but there was a burr about 1" of the edge. I touched it up with white ceramic and stropped. It came out very sharp.

I took it out and played with it a bit.

I chopped through some green and dry standing Locust. It took about 45 seconds to go through 4" of green Locust. It limbs wonderfully. 1.5" thick branches take a few quick strokes. It cuts very deep for its size.

The dry standing Locust is tough as nails. It cut fine with a lot more effort. No deep cuts with that stuff!

I had one tiny edge roll, but it was easy to sharpen out. It was less than 1/16". I've seen this with the best of American vintage steel. It's not anything to be worried about. Must have hit contamination in the bark. I sharpened it very slightly steeper for a tiny micro bevel to help strengthen the edge. With stopping it looks like a normal stropping convex.
Link Posted: 4/28/2017 2:36:38 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

Let us know what you think.
View Quote
I'm a city boy and was hoping to get out this weekend but it looks like that won't happen and my trip will have to wait until next weekend. Here are a couple of crappy pictures I took of it in the dark here in the computer/laundry room. The fit/finish are amazing and it's a work of art. Grain orientation is perfect. It came razor sharp and EASILY sliced through paper just pressing a piece of paper to the edge.

Link Posted: 4/28/2017 7:44:12 AM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

I'm a city boy and was hoping to get out this weekend but it looks like that won't happen and my trip will have to wait until next weekend. Here are a couple of crappy pictures I took of it in the dark here in the computer/laundry room. The fit/finish are amazing and it's a work of art. Grain orientation is perfect. It came razor sharp and EASILY sliced through paper just pressing a piece of paper to the edge.

http://i.imgur.com/NW6sQlO.jpghttp://i.imgur.com/j1pEky0.jpg
View Quote
It's really nice to buy a finished axe that's ready to chop right out of the box. The fit and finish on mine was top notch too.

I can't wait to buy one of their new hatchets.
Link Posted: 4/29/2017 1:46:54 AM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
I stopped by Lehman's Hardware to see if they had any GB Small Forest Axes and they were out. They did have Wildlife Hatchets, Hand Axes, Mini Hatchets, and different splitting axes. They also had a comprehensive stock of Hults Bruk axes!

I learned a lot about Gransfors Bruks today. I looked through every single Wildlife Hatchet to find the best one out of 8 examples. I also went through every single Mini Hatchet. I learned something important.....

I am never going to order a Gransfors Bruk sight unseen.

Every one of them but a couple would have needed reprofiled to create an even, consistent convex. Many had flats in the edge at random spots, facets in the convex, or flatter convex on one side. A few had unacceptable gaps in the hang on all but a couple.

The handles were pretty nice. No nasty tear out like I've seen before.

The edge was shaving sharp over most of the length but there was a burr about 1" of the edge. I touched it up with white ceramic and stropped. It came out very sharp.

I took it out and played with it a bit.

http://i75.photobucket.com/albums/i307/batmanacw/gear/20170426_191211_zps0t8hkfp4.jpghttp://i75.photobucket.com/albums/i307/batmanacw/gear/20170426_191219_zpsga65edoa.jpghttp://i75.photobucket.com/albums/i307/batmanacw/gear/20170426_191248_zps7fynsvrj.jpg

I chopped through some green and dry standing Locust. It took about 45 seconds to go through 4" of green Locust. It limbs wonderfully. 1.5" thick branches take a few quick strokes. It cuts very deep for its size.

The dry standing Locust is tough as nails. It cut fine with a lot more effort. No deep cuts with that stuff!

I had one tiny edge roll, but it was easy to sharpen out. It was less than 1/16". I've seen this with the best of American vintage steel. It's not anything to be worried about. Must have hit contamination in the bark. I sharpened it very slightly steeper for a tiny micro bevel to help strengthen the edge. With stopping it looks like a normal stropping convex.
View Quote
Meh
Link Posted: 4/30/2017 2:43:45 PM EDT
[#27]
I sure would like to see some pics of your guy's packs with the axes. I'm really interested in seeing how you pack the axes in and out. I've been trying with the idea of getting a Frost River pack or comparable for this purpose.

If any of you guys find the time, take a picture of your kit and post it up.
Link Posted: 5/4/2017 3:07:43 AM EDT
[#28]
I did not want to pull out my pack this time of night but here's a crappy picture of it in the closet. It's an Eberlestock Battleship which makes it extremely easy to carry an axe. There are a few ways you could carry it actually, but I have the head in one of the pockets and it's secured using a strap. I kinda want something to put around the pole of head though as it isn't very rounded. I don't need it wearing a hole in the pocket (1000D cordura but still).

Link Posted: 5/5/2017 11:55:33 AM EDT
[#29]
I went and bought the Stihl Universal Forestry Axe. It's a 1 kg head on a 23.75" handle. The over all length is a little longer with the bit upsweep. 

The handle is pretty stout. Thicker than my preference but not unusable. I might sand and refinish some day, but not right now. The grain orientation is 90 degrees off, but it runs all the way through the head so I don't expect it break too easily. This is my first axe with a flat back to the eye. 

The eye is pretty thick around the handle. I think this is a response to axe abuse. The eye is quite wide around the handle as well. It should be a great felling and limbing axe and a decent splitter. I would not mind if the bit was thinner near the edge and further back. I profiled it and sharpened it up razor sharp. It came out really nicely. 

I won't get a chance to try it this weekend. I pulled a muscle in my back so I need to go very easy this weekend. I really look forward to trying it out. 

Link Posted: 5/5/2017 3:46:37 PM EDT
[#30]
NooooB question...

Why the wooden wedge, then steel ring on top of that ?
Link Posted: 5/5/2017 3:58:20 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
Yes it is expensive. Since I do blacksmithing and have made tomahawks, hammers, knives and other stuff I know there is a lot of work in one of those.  They are high quality and real nice if you are into historical reenactment.  Well worth the money if you can afford one.
View Quote
I have a couple H&B hawks. Good stuff. I didn't even know they made axes. Will have to check out their site.

Had the hawks for many years, got them at Friendship.
Link Posted: 5/5/2017 4:05:09 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
I sure would like to see some pics of your guy's packs with the axes. I'm really interested in seeing how you pack the axes in and out. I've been trying with the idea of getting a Frost River pack or comparable for this purpose.

View Quote
k

I'd like to have a FR Nessmuk or similar for nostalgia. But, from a practical standpoint, they are way heavy, don't carry well and have inferior straps when compared to modern packs.

Then, again, I've been known to tote along a Svea 123, an axe, wear wool instead of fleece and use 1911s or even a wheel gun instead of the standard Austrian Tupperware.
Link Posted: 5/5/2017 6:35:11 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
NooooB question...

Why the wooden wedge, then steel ring on top of that ?
View Quote
Most axe eyes are wider at the top. The wood wedge fills in the wider top part of the eye while being flexible enough to crush as it's driven in.

The steel "safety wedge" keeps the wood wedge secure.
Link Posted: 5/20/2017 10:36:45 AM EDT
[#34]
Hey Bat. Need your input.
What do I have lol .
It's a plumb . About finger to elbow in length.
Is super light.
Paid 20$ for it and a rake. 
Thanks for any info. All I see is "camping hatchet " .when I Google.

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 5/20/2017 11:11:43 AM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
What do I have lol .
Is super light.

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/49816/20170520-103253-212399.JPG
View Quote
Assuming it's a vintage USA head, you have a very high quality 1 1/4 lb Plumb hatchet on a very odd handle. You did good!
Link Posted: 5/20/2017 11:50:26 AM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
Assuming it's a vintage USA head, you have a very high quality 1 1/4 lb Plumb hatchet on a very odd handle. You did good!
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
What do I have lol .
Is super light.

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/49816/20170520-103253-212399.JPG
Close up of the stamp.
Shows USA. 
Side note I also got a plumb victory..i re did years ago..someone tossed the head in the trash lol.

Anyway to find date/estimate age on these things 

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 5/20/2017 9:34:40 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:

Close up of the stamp.
Shows USA. 
Side note I also got a plumb victory..i re did years ago..someone tossed the head in the trash lol.

Anyway to find date/estimate age on these things 

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/49816/20170520-114753-212446.JPG
View Quote
Yesteryeartools i think is the website
Link Posted: 5/21/2017 6:01:33 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:

View Quote
I just purchased a used Arc'teryx Echo backpack (medium 54L) and attached my axe to it. This pack is pretty freaking awesome. I still have not had a chance to use the axe yet but I've already planned a trip with my brother in two weeks to go up north. This axe is beautiful though. It came with a near mirror polished edge (but I ran my Lansky puck over it a few times and marred the polished edge). The pouches that it's slid through are USGI 40mm grenade pouches that I've cut the stitching on the bottom of. They're PERFECT for attaching an axe to your military style MOLLE/PALS webbing pack.

These are the ones I bought and I may buy a couple more for my other 2 packs. Take a sharp knife or a razor and carefully cut the stitching in the area I've circled in red. This will open up the bottom to allow the axe handle to slide through.

https://rover.ebay.com/rover/1/711-53200-19255-0/1?type=3&campId=5337559805&toolId=10001&customId=j2z9lrq36z00zk8a00004&mpre=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.ebay.com%2Fitm%2F171147166393

http://i.imgur.com/VqNNEDU.jpg

http://i.imgur.com/amZOOti.jpg

http://i.imgur.com/hfZ1ioL.jp

http://i.imgur.com/B4EJiH8.jpg

http://i.imgur.com/440TscW.jpg

http://i.imgur.com/lQauCM9.jpg

http://i.imgur.com/8USCi65.jpg

http://i.imgur.com/mRpaDsV.jpg

http://i.imgur.com/j84uKH6.jpg

http://i.imgur.com/420e2Fr.jpg
Link Posted: 5/21/2017 11:21:39 PM EDT
[#39]
Man, that's a good lookin pack. And axe. Great photos. Thanks for the info!
Link Posted: 5/22/2017 3:21:40 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
I just purchased a used Arc'teryx Echo backpack (medium 54L) and attached my axe to it. This pack is pretty freaking awesome. I still have not had a chance to use the axe yet but I've already planned a trip with my brother in two weeks to go up north. This axe is beautiful though. It came with a near mirror polished edge (but I ran my Lansky puck over it a few times and marred the polished edge). The pouches that it's slid through are USGI 40mm grenade pouches that I've cut the stitching on the bottom of. They're PERFECT for attaching an axe to your military style MOLLE/PALS webbing pack.

These are the ones I bought and I may buy a couple more for my other 2 packs. Take a sharp knife or a razor and carefully cut the stitching in the area I've circled in red. This will open up the bottom to allow the axe handle to slide through.

https://rover.ebay.com/rover/1/711-53200-19255-0/1?type=3&campId=5337559805&toolId=10001&customId=j30isjk3ml00zk8a00004&mpre=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.ebay.com%2Fitm%2FNEW-USMC-MOLLE-40MM-Pouch-Single-Coyote-US-Military-Issue-%2F171147166393
http://i.imgur.com/khugaXM.jpg

http://i.imgur.com/hfZ1ioL.jp
http://i.imgur.com/hfZ1ioL.jpg
View Quote
have your friend bring a standard hardware store axe so you can swing them side by side.

If you don't end up giggling like a little girl with how well that axe performs compared to the vast majority of what is avaiable I would be very surprised. A quality is axe is not a chore to use. It's an amazing labor saver, not a waster.

For all our sakes, plan every single swing. If it cuts through, where will it go? If I let go, where will it go? If it skips off, how to I ensure it won't bite me? I look forward to your successfull use and honest review of that axe. The guy who designed it and I still have a friendly dissagreement about convex vs flat grind, but he is a great guy and he can't always be right! LOL! He calls it a wood chisel on a stick. It helps to understand him better if you look at it like a multi purpose cutting tool that it is rather than just an axe. Out of respect for his concept and his ideas I have let mine with the flat grind it and it is holding up just fine. It's a damn fine tool.

It's kind of hard to cut through a 1.5" thick green limb in one smooth swing and not smile just a bit....... I always hit about 45 degrees and it bites DEEP!

I ordered a couple of those pouches so thank you for that!
Link Posted: 5/22/2017 4:06:53 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
Man, that's a good lookin pack. And axe. Great photos. Thanks for the info!
View Quote
It is pretty awesome. It fits me damn perfectly, but it doesn't have a lot of adjustment. The shoulder straps cannot be adjusted up or down but the belt can be an inch and a half or so. This is a Medium model (54L), but it also comes in Small (44L?) and Large (59L. Unfortunately they are discontinued and hard to find and usually cost a fair bit, but I had to have one as it looked to be exactly what I was looking for in terms of size and features. I detailed it a little more and what I've got in it here:

http://www.ar15.com/forums/t_10_18/506065_BOB-what-it-should-be-.html&page=23
Link Posted: 5/22/2017 5:00:23 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:

have your friend bring a standard hardware store axe so you can swing them side by side.

If you don't end up giggling like a little girl with how well that axe performs compared to the vast majority of what is avaiable I would be very surprised. A quality is axe is not a chore to use. It's an amazing labor saver, not a waster.

For all our sakes, plan every single swing. If it cuts through, where will it go? If I let go, where will it go? If it skips off, how to I ensure it won't bite me? I look forward to your successfull use and honest review of that axe. The guy who designed it and I still have a friendly dissagreement about convex vs flat grind, but he is a great guy and he can't always be right! LOL! He calls it a wood chisel on a stick. It helps to understand him better if you look at it like a multi purpose cutting tool that it is rather than just an axe. Out of respect for his concept and his ideas I have let mine with the flat grind it and it is holding up just fine. It's a damn fine tool.

It's kind of hard to cut through a 1.5" thick green limb in one smooth swing and not smile just a bit....... I always hit about 45 degrees and it bites DEEP!

I ordered a couple of those pouches so thank you for that!
View Quote
Haha! I think I'm actually going to give my brother my Marbles axe. It's just not that great and the handle isn't a length I prefer. He doesn't have anything though so it's better than nothing of course. I can't wait to try out the Council Tool axe!!
Link Posted: 5/22/2017 5:12:06 PM EDT
[#43]
Council Tool is located in Lake Waccamaw, NC.  I'm only about 30 minutes from there.  I had a job interview with them back in 2005, but nothing came of it.

Vulcan94
Link Posted: 6/1/2017 8:02:01 PM EDT
[#44]
I bought a German Rhineland pattern axe head off ebay for $38 a few days ago and it arrived today! 600 grams.

It's absolutely beautiful. I put it on one of the 18" handles I had laying around. The bit is very thin so I won't have much work to do once I sharpen it tomorrow. The eye is squared a little front and back. I was worried my handle wouldn't fill it. The eye is wider front to back and side to side at the top. The handle went straight in and I liked the angle of the dangle so I put the wedge in with the back side tight all the way, top to bottom. The edge alignment is not perfect but it is pretty good.

I lightly torched the handle and used golden oak stain this time. I love the result. The handle is driven in hard and the wedge is extremely tight so even without a shoulder it should hold like iron.

Makers mark.

Do you see why I think it's really hand forged?

I can't wait to sharpen it but family time comes first.
Link Posted: 6/1/2017 11:34:21 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:
I bought a German Rhineland pattern axe head off ebay for $38 a few days ago and it arrived today! 600 grams.

It's absolutely beautiful. I put it on one of the 18" handles I had laying around. The bit is very thin so I won't have much work to do once I sharpen it tomorrow. The eye is squared a little front and back. I was worried my handle wouldn't fill it. The eye is wider front to back and side to side at the top. The handle went straight in and I liked the angle of the dangle so I put the wedge in with the back side tight all the way, top to bottom. The edge alignment is not perfect but it is pretty good.

http://i75.photobucket.com/albums/i307/batmanacw/gear/20170601_183337_zpsjewdnesu.jpg http://i75.photobucket.com/albums/i307/batmanacw/gear/20170601_183343_zpsg8xs5r78.jpg

I lightly torched the handle and used golden oak stain this time. I love the result. The handle is driven in hard and the wedge is extremely tight so even without a shoulder it should hold like iron.

http://i75.photobucket.com/albums/i307/batmanacw/gear/20170601_190536_zps0iz8huot.jpg

http://i75.photobucket.com/albums/i307/batmanacw/gear/20170601_190546_zps0g1lnynu.jpg

Makers mark.

http://i75.photobucket.com/albums/i307/batmanacw/gear/20170601_190609_zpsyptlkopl.jpg

Do you see why I think it's really hand forged?

http://i75.photobucket.com/albums/i307/batmanacw/gear/20170601_191851_zpsf6haev3v.jpg

I can't wait to sharpen it but family time comes first.
View Quote
I can't see the pics - not sure if it is just me or if it is photobucket throttling you. Happened to me when I posted some stuff in GD....
Link Posted: 6/2/2017 10:59:16 AM EDT
[#46]
This is the edge on the latest Rhineland.

Link Posted: 6/4/2017 7:55:25 PM EDT
[#47]
Barman,

I picked this up at a flea market today for 10 bux.  Ever hear of a Firestone De Luxe?  I wire wheeled it, filed off the peening on the poll, and removed the old handle.  Do you think it's work restoring?

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 6/4/2017 8:46:10 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:
Barman,

I picked this up at a flea market today for 10 bux.  Ever hear of a Firestone De Luxe?  I wire wheeled it, filed off the peening on the poll, and removed the old handle.  Do you think it's work restoring?

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/84398/IMG-4322-223332.JPG

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/84398/IMG-4323-223334.JPG

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/84398/IMG-4326-223337.JPG

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/84398/IMG-4327-223340.JPG

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/84398/IMG-4336-223347.JPG
View Quote
That is a top notch American made axe head with a very nice thin profile and high centerline. Absolutely worth it. Nice axe!
Link Posted: 6/4/2017 10:12:33 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:

That is a top notch American made axe head with a very nice thin profile and high centerline. Absolutely worth it. Nice axe!
View Quote
Where do you get your handles?  I would like to replace it with the same style that it originally had on it.
Link Posted: 6/5/2017 6:24:08 AM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:
Where do you get your handles?  I would like to replace it with the same style that it originally had on it.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

You will have to put a lot of work into a replacement handle to get one as thin and flexible as the original.  House Handles and Beaver Tooth are the only places to go right now.
Page / 6
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top