BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 10/2/2014 10:49:01 AM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:  I don't know what FUD mean, but I still feel confident in poo-poo'ing this threat.  If 3000 people in this country have died, I MIGHT be concerned.  So far, it hasn't spread (AFAIK) between two people in the US.
View Quote

Edited.  Several family members of Dallas Ebola victim are quarantined.
Link Posted: 10/2/2014 10:57:11 AM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:
Apparently that's now happened.  
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:  I don't know what FUD mean, but I still feel confident in poo-poo'ing this threat.  If 3000 people in this country have died, I MIGHT be concerned.  So far, it hasn't spread (AFAIK) between two people in the US.

I checked Drudge, Fox, and CNN.  No mention of that.

ETA:  If you're talking about Hawaii, it seems pretty unlikely that he got it from the guy in Dallas.

Link Posted: 10/2/2014 11:04:39 AM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:

ETA:  If you're talking about Hawaii, it seems pretty unlikely that he got it from the guy in Dallas.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Overexcited local radio report from last night, I've edited my post.  Dallas Ebola patient's relatives under quarantine.
Link Posted: 10/2/2014 11:26:31 AM EDT
[#4]
http://abcnews.go.com/Health/texas-ebola-patients-contacts-now-reach-100/story?id=25912405

If this happens in a few more locations around the US I believe it will cause some serious panic issues, directly affecting services and our normal "flow."
Link Posted: 10/2/2014 11:39:03 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
http://abcnews.go.com/Health/texas-ebola-patients-contacts-now-reach-100/story?id=25912405

If this happens in a few more locations around the US I believe it will cause some serious panic issues, directly affecting services and our normal "flow."
View Quote

If I had a kid in DISD he wouldn't be going to school today.  Bringing the flu home from school is expected.  Bringing Ebola home is a bit different.
Link Posted: 10/2/2014 12:49:34 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
Couple of questions:

1) Are there any N100 masks that fit kids?  I would like to lay in a few, though frankly likelihood of actually using it is low.  If Ebola got established here, it would probably only take one or two infected kids to expose an entire school, by which time we are already probably infected as well. And we know how fast illness spreads at schools.   But better to have and not need, than to need and not have, I figure.

And anyone know a good source that doesn't cost $6+/N100 mask?  Talking Moldex N100 2730s most likely.

2) Are there any goggles that might be of help that are useful for people wearing glasses?

3) Also, as the wife is a Pharmacist, and therefore more likely to be exposed to someone infected, any suggestions as to what she can do besides wearing a mask and using alcohol on the counters/prescriptions handed to her?  Not bloody likely her employer will go along with a full respirator, hood, gloves, you name it, after all.

View Quote

As best as I remember, alcohol does not kill Ebola. I do remember bleach works. There was a long list of other chemicals that work as well. Honestly, as difficult as it would be to make this decision, if it came to the point of my kids needing to wear N100 masks, we would button up the hatches and bug in. I know that may not be the right course of action for everyone, and I don't really think it will come to that, but if it got bad enough for that, I would just stay home and watch from a distance.
Link Posted: 10/2/2014 1:42:09 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
Per cdc...it is not transmissible airborne, so a mask will likely not help at all.

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Is the consensus that the n95 mask would be sufficient against Ebola or not?

Also, if I were to use an n95 mask, if that is the go to mask style, how long can I use it before I should toss it and use a fresh one?

You need a N100-certified mask, and preferably a full-face respirator. N100 will prevent 99.97% of particulates or drops that are 3 microns or less in size. Ebola virus is .08 micron to .1 micron in size, however, in order for it to be airborne, it needs to be carried by droplets, these droplets are the ones that are larger than 3 microns in size therefore a 3 micron mask rated at N or P 100 should effectively block these pathogens. Goggles, nitrile gloves, Calcium Hypochlorite (pool shock, to make bleach) and Tvvek suits will be worth their weight in gold during a outbreak; a $100 will go a long way in buying these items.

Per cdc...it is not transmissible airborne, so a mask will likely not help at all.

The disease will aerosolize, so you are absolutely wrong.  A mask will help if it is appropriately rated.

Link Posted: 10/2/2014 3:38:05 PM EDT
[#8]
The CDC saying it is not transmitted by an airborne route is, as far we know, accurate. That statement however can be misleading if you don't know what that means. It can be transmitted by droplet. In the hospital we generally have three types of isolation. Airborne, droplet, and contact. Here are examples of those.

Airborne - tuberculosis. Isolation is putting that person in a negative pressure room, with 2 doors in series with only one door being open at a time. Gown, Gloves, and N95 mask worn. These are particles that are small enough that basically they can just float and hang out in the air.

Droplet - Flu. Gown, glove, mask (doesn't have to be N95). Droplets disperse with sneezing and coughing, but will be pulled down by gravity, rule of thumb is anything within 3 feet of the patient is contaminated. If you stay more than 3 feet away you don't have to gown up.

Contact - staph skin infection. Gown, glove. Only have to gown and glove if you are going to touch the patient.

You all might already know this stuff, and this isn't hard and fast science.

Part of the problem with Ebola is how virulent it is and how stable it is outside of the host. This leads to the problem where just a small drop of infected blood can cause so much trouble.
Link Posted: 10/2/2014 4:06:19 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:

Honestly, as difficult as it would be to make this decision, if it came to the point of my kids needing to wear N100 masks, we would button up the hatches and bug in. I know that may not be the right course of action for everyone, and I don't really think it will come to that, but if it got bad enough for that, I would just stay home and watch from a distance.

View Quote
This.

Don't play with it, avoid it. Unless you are properly trained medical actually treating it, stay away from it. This is what we prep for (isolation, off-grid) right?

To me, its kind of like asking which fire suit will keep you alive longer if you jump into a fire. My advice is to not jump in the fire.
Link Posted: 10/2/2014 4:07:57 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:

yeah, and 1 of the brothers live here in Phoenix.  awesome
Link Posted: 10/2/2014 4:17:27 PM EDT
[#11]
Has anyone established yet if these folks are US native citizens, legal immigrants, or illegal immigrants?
Link Posted: 10/2/2014 4:18:41 PM EDT
[#12]
Really like this quote from the Blaze;

More news about the Dallas Ebola patient — the first patient to be diagnosed with the deadly viral disease in the U.S. — emerged Wednesday, including that he “was throwing up all over the place” outside of the apartment complex where he was staying before he was transported to the hospital.

Some in the comment section of the Reuters report asked what many others are probably thinking: ”So who cleaned up the vomit, and where are they now…?…..what system did the vomit pass into?” the commenter going by the username Robertla wrote.

Neither the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention nor the Dallas County Department of Health and Human Services immediately responded to TheBlaze’s request for comment on these questions. It’s a particular concern because the virus is transmitted through contact with the bodily fluids of a sick person, including blood, urine, saliva, feces and vomit.
View Quote

And pictures of the crews cleaning the sidewalks in the complex;

Love that Hazmat equipment they are using!!!!  Lord help us!!

Thanks Big O

Oops, sorry, missed that another thread had been started on this.
Link Posted: 10/2/2014 7:04:09 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

I don't know what FUD mean, but I still feel confident in poo-poo'ing this threat.  If 3000 people in this country have died, I MIGHT be concerned.  So far, it hasn't spread (AFAIK) between two people in the US.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
The disease is one threat; public reaction is another. It wouldn't surprise me to start seeing grocery store shelves cleared of bottled water and shopping carts full of canned goods in the next few days.

Your sigline says it all.

Been listening to people poo-poo this threat since it began, and now here we are, over 3000 dead, WHO predicting 1.5 million cases or more, and ebola in Dallas, and yet some are STILL calling it FUD. go figure.

I don't know what FUD mean, but I still feel confident in poo-poo'ing this threat.  If 3000 people in this country have died, I MIGHT be concerned.  So far, it hasn't spread (AFAIK) between two people in the US.

And now a possible case in Hawaii, and one just reported in Utah.  

I warned people about this months ago, and got labeled a tin-foiler for my trouble, "never make it over here" they said.

Keep on truckin' sheeple, fuck yeah, 'murrica.
Link Posted: 10/2/2014 7:25:56 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
And pictures of the crews cleaning the sidewalks in the complex;

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/By9hssLCcAAHt0v.png

Love that Hazmat equipment they are using!!!!  Lord help us!!
View Quote

This is how you know the .gov really has not got a clue.

If they were serious, they would have had a crew out to clean-up all the vomit at the apartment complex from the ebola guy,
but no, just a couple of jokers with a broom and a power washer.

No suits, and probably no disinfectant.

Both are now potentially contaminated from spray and mist in the air.
Not to mention the chick standing there watching and anyone else that walked by.

ETA: The good news is, this photo is from today,
the bloody vomit has only been there since Sunday.

WFAA Dallas video here

Nice, I don't see any drains anywhere near where they are power washing in the video.
Link Posted: 10/3/2014 6:20:48 AM EDT
[#15]
I did not know alcohol is ineffective vs Ebola.  It's what they prefer to use at her work, but obviously I will have to do some research and see if there is a better alternative to alcoholing the counters.

I don't want my kid out wearing a mask either. Just figured it'd be a good thing to have a few of, just in case some unforeseen situation cropped up.  The wife, it's possible she might have to wear one while at work. Heck, it's not out of the realm of possibility that healthcare workers might be reclassified as "essential services" and some sort of Executive order broken out to force them to work on pain of jail, etc.  Again, better to have the masks and not need.

Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top