Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 3
Posted: 9/29/2014 9:58:49 PM EDT
is there a way to interrupt an RC drone?  (other than shooting it ) with the purpose of bringing it down.

i would like to have something that can interrupt some one doing a recon of my area, with an RC rotor driven drone,  with the intent of stopping the recon, without destroying the vehicle.

Link Posted: 9/29/2014 10:00:48 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 9/29/2014 10:03:55 PM EDT
[#2]
IBTL
Link Posted: 9/29/2014 10:07:08 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Is theft still a crime?
View Quote

It's only theft when it's someone else doing it.  Amirite or what?
Link Posted: 9/29/2014 10:07:51 PM EDT
[#4]

Whoa.
Link Posted: 9/29/2014 10:17:46 PM EDT
[#5]
I got the impression he was talking a WROL situation, although I've been wrong before.
Link Posted: 9/29/2014 10:36:08 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
is there a way to interrupt an RC drone?  (other than shooting it ) with the purpose of bringing it down.

i would like to have something that can interrupt some one doing a recon of my area, with an RC rotor driven drone,  with the intent of stealing and keeping it for myself.

View Quote

reported
Link Posted: 9/29/2014 10:39:24 PM EDT
[#7]
Only if you are broadcasting on the same control frequency and your controller was closer or more powerful. You can interfere with radio frequencies by breaking a large amount of current or by collapsing a coil. Like an older car with a bad spark plug wire interferes with the radio in the car. I would draw you a picture of how to do it but just Google it.
Link Posted: 9/29/2014 10:45:33 PM EDT
[#8]
OP, I'd probably edit your post to specify this is only during a SHTF/WROL situation.  Otherwise, no one is going to advocate stealing or destroying someone else's property during times of normalcy.

Grabbing the frequency might be possible but what would be the purpose of bringing it down without damaging it?  If it's being used during a crisis for some evil purpose, unless you have the remove/charging unit to effectively use it...and if you do where the hell is the drone that came with it??....what's the point?  Chute it! Chute it!!

I've never seen what a tazer will do to electronics but it might make for a fun esperiment during a SHTF.  

-Emt1581
Link Posted: 9/29/2014 10:54:26 PM EDT
[#9]
ok.......

i figured contextually you might all understand my point since this isnt GD but....
Link Posted: 9/29/2014 10:56:17 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
ok.......

i figured contextually you might all understand my point since this isnt GD but....
View Quote

No this isn't GD but we're still going to call blatant crime what it is.  This is why I said to edit the OP to further clarify the context I'm sure you were implying.

-Emt1581
Link Posted: 9/29/2014 10:58:11 PM EDT
[#11]
blatant crime.  wow a lawyer now ehh?  whats criminal tresspass?   whats a voyeurism?

i changed it.
Link Posted: 9/29/2014 11:02:24 PM EDT
[#12]
Most new rc models use 2.4 radios with frequency hopping spread spektrum signals. Makes it highly unlikely to be on same channel unless you have a way to pick up their freq and use the same one. But high spikes of current can make them glitch. My baja used to glitch by power boxes and transformers. Just get a good super soaker
Link Posted: 9/29/2014 11:06:55 PM EDT
[#13]
Most RC craft nowadays has frequency hopping controls to avoid interference. You'd have to know the frequency range it operates in and illegally jam the entire range. 2.4ghz and 5.8ghz are common. Even so, some crafts have failsafes built in for such a problem. They will either hover in place or return home. That functionality usually relies on GPS. So you'd have to illegally take that out too. Gov tends to REALLY dislike when that happens since aircraft use it.

Not sure what your legal options are.
Link Posted: 9/29/2014 11:07:55 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
blatant crime.  wow a lawyer now ehh?  whats criminal tresspass?   whats a voyeurism?

i changed it.
View Quote

Not a lawyer but spent enough time in court rooms to say I've never in my years seen a machine charged with a crime let along criminal trespass.  Now if that machine starts giving you lip and tells you to go fuck yourself when you ask it to leave...MAYBE defiant trespass but even then...

Still didn't specify SHTF/WROL.  So still no right to screw with it.  You don't like drones watching you, put up big nets and keep them out.

-Emt1581
Link Posted: 9/29/2014 11:08:01 PM EDT
[#15]
actually high pressure water would be perfect, but I am not sure how the electronics would hold up.  I wouldnt want to destroy it.

are the newer ones fairly water proof?  i have no idea.
Link Posted: 9/29/2014 11:09:42 PM EDT
[#16]
well a camera cant get charged with a crime or a gun but the person on the other end sure can get in trouble.  

keep trying
Link Posted: 9/29/2014 11:12:54 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
well a camera cant get charged with a crime or a gun but the person on the other end sure can get in trouble.  

keep trying
View Quote

Are you seriously being harassed by a drone or is this whole play on semantics just for the sake of conversation?

Because if you are, why not spend a little money and buy your own drone to follow this thing back to wherever it's coming from and then politely ask the controller to knock it off?  There are other options, but during times of normalcy I probably wouldn't physically damage anyone else's property especially if that piece of property's main attribute is that it has a camera to record everything that it sees.

-Emt1581
Link Posted: 9/29/2014 11:14:05 PM EDT
[#18]
With modern digital spread spectrum RC stuff taking over even hobby level RC vehicles is not likely without extremely sophisticated gear. Most of the stuff is specifically designed to NOT be pairable while in use, so the obvious solution of switching control to your remote like you would if hijacking someone's bluetooth device is not going to work. You'd have a far easier time just coming up with a way to capture it physically even if that just means dropping some rope on it from another craft. Or, just go find the person flying it, these things are not exactly Predators or Global Hawks, in most cases you really want line of sight when flying one and even without it, the range on the transmitters is not that far unless there IS line of sight.

Now, going silly but possible... If this is something you wanted to plan and spend real money on you could get some high power TX/RX units designed for doing high end wifi. The kind used for transmitting between two buildings not close enough for normal connections. The output on certain models is not only highly directional, but the units are configurable and can cover the same frequency spectrum used by most RC stuff these days. Given the power differential and fact that it's being pumped down a narrow cone rather than almost omnidirectional... Yeah, you'll jam the hell out of that drone. What happens after that depends on the design of the unit. Most of the better ones are designed to keep themselves stable when they lose signal and not getting understandable commands counts as losing signal. Some automatically land to avoid run away flight and uncontrolled drops when the batteries run dry.

Personally, in any context that doing this is not just worthwhile but not 100% illegal and likely to result in serious legal consequences, I'd rather just shoot the darn thing down somehow. If I'm trying to be discrete a couple rounds of Colibri from a bolt action will do the job no sweat.
Link Posted: 9/29/2014 11:21:52 PM EDT
[#19]
thats exactly what i was wondering.   with out shooting it down , it would be a pain the arse to get it down.  

thanks.

Link Posted: 9/29/2014 11:23:18 PM EDT
[#20]
trained crows
Link Posted: 9/29/2014 11:32:09 PM EDT
[#21]
Kinda depends on its height. I'd bet a net thrower would provide a little havoc with lower altitude ones.
Link Posted: 9/29/2014 11:33:30 PM EDT
[#22]
Air models are not usually water proof. They even have gps safe circles to avoid crashing in higher priced ones. Look into cheap rc glyders and you could clip it with one. Your going to have to damage it to bring it down most likely. Would be fun though
Link Posted: 9/29/2014 11:35:22 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
Most new rc models use 2.4 radios with frequency hopping spread spektrum signals. Makes it highly unlikely to be on same channel unless you have a way to pick up their freq and use the same one. But high spikes of current can make them glitch. My baja used to glitch by power boxes and transformers. Just get a good super soaker
View Quote

This, if being flown line of sight not much can be done.    If being flown FPV, interfere with video signal will result in one of two thi.gs.

Either the craft has return to home on failsafe or it doesnt.  If RTH on video loss goal of area denial met.    If not, crash is result.

Which  video frequencies  is a guess as there are about 5-6 popular bands.   Finding that specific frequency on the band wont be quick and FCC license to operate those bands above a certain power is needed.
Link Posted: 9/29/2014 11:40:12 PM EDT
[#24]
Just put up some barrage balloons.

These caused tons of problems for pilots who were viewing them directly, and would be even harder for someone using an RC system to avoid, especially since you could use smaller balloons and very light cable/heavy fish line.
Link Posted: 9/29/2014 11:41:27 PM EDT
[#25]
are we talking about some annoying kids flying a rc drone you dont like or known criminals or Big brother here?

<-- Has several $$$ in RC and FPV craft including "Drones" ( the RC equivalent of calling an AR a ASSAULT RIFLE)

Link Posted: 9/30/2014 12:02:36 AM EDT
[#26]
Microwave ovens generate 500 to1000 watts in the 2.4 GHz band.

Someone with a little competence in microwaves could easily convert a microwave oven to a wide band transmitter and blank out the control transmitter signal.

If there was no fail safe program, it should hover until the fuel/power ran out, then fall.
Link Posted: 9/30/2014 12:24:14 AM EDT
[#27]
Hobbiests or activists invading your privacy? Don't play games. Shoot it down and mount it on your wall. If they bring a complaint against you to LE then they can explain why they were peeping on you too.

Govt. drones? You got bigger problems. Can't help you there.
Link Posted: 9/30/2014 12:24:15 AM EDT
[#28]
CBS 2 Exclusive: Cops Say Criminals Are Going High-Tech, Using Drones To Case Victims

NEWARK, N.J. (CBSNewYork) — The military uses drones to carry bombs or conduct surveillance, but anyone can buy a drone without a weapon that uses high-definition cameras and GPS, even criminals.

Authorities say they captured a New Jersey man, identified as Duane Holmes, in Pennsylvania with not only dozens of stolen cell phones in his car, but also a drone.

Link

Next thing you know there'll be drones in folks' pants....  

Oh wait...

Link Posted: 9/30/2014 12:28:40 AM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
CBS 2 Exclusive: Cops Say Criminals Are Going High-Tech, Using Drones To Case Victims

NEWARK, N.J. (CBSNewYork) — The military uses drones to carry bombs or conduct surveillance, but anyone can buy a drone without a weapon that uses high-definition cameras and GPS, even criminals.

Authorities say they captured a New Jersey man, identified as Duane Holmes, in Pennsylvania with not only dozens of stolen cell phones in his car, but also a drone.

Link

Next thing you know there'll be drones in folks' pants....  

Oh wait...

View Quote

See now that I call bullshit on. This, and "FAA public safety" will be the calling card for those in the govt. that want to restrict private use.
Link Posted: 9/30/2014 1:11:37 AM EDT
[#30]
If it's directly overhead and rotor driven, what about a cheap copter of your own dangling some paracord/piano wire/etc?  Pay it a visit, scoop it up, and put some bandaids on it.   Maybe if yours is big and stable, you could even have a soft landing of the pair.
Link Posted: 9/30/2014 5:50:38 AM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
Hobbiests or activists invading your privacy? Don't play games. Shoot it down and mount it on your wall. If they bring a complaint against you to LE then they can explain why they were peeping on you too.

View Quote

You dont have an expectation of privacy from the air.
Shooting down anyones rc aircraft because it is overhead will probably net you a criminal damage to property charge.
Have fun with that.
Link Posted: 9/30/2014 6:11:13 AM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

Shooting down anyones rc aircraft because it is overhead will probably net you a criminal damage to property charge.
Have fun with that.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Have fun with that.

That's not entirely true.
Link Posted: 9/30/2014 7:40:44 AM EDT
[#33]
http://www.nbcphiladelphia.com/news/local/Flying-Camera-From-Animal-Rights-Group-Shot-Down-at-Pigeon-Shoot-Cops-179983451.html
Link Posted: 9/30/2014 8:04:59 AM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Have fun with that.

what part is untrue?
Link Posted: 9/30/2014 8:25:17 AM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

what part is untrue?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Have fun with that.

what part is untrue?

There are a lot of variables when it comes to flying around over someone else's property.  It's not really a subject that's addressed very well in law, and a number of other laws could be applied, including various forms of tresspass and peeping tom laws that may cause a problem for the drone flyer.

Link Posted: 9/30/2014 8:47:58 AM EDT
[#36]
Wow, the poster asks a relevant questions and gets all kinds of responses from "reported" to put up giant nets over your property.  Nice.  (I have no doubt putting nets all over your property to capture songbirds, migratory birds, various game animals and wildlife, impeding air space as well as entangling other peoples private property is not within the law or your zoning regs, however I won't report that post at this time.)

This is a valid concern.  Suppose someone wants to video your wife and daughters as they swim in your pool?  Or maybe you catch someone using a drone to peek in your bedroom window.  Do you think you will be charged?  or is a jury going to convict someone of knocking it down?  Just have an ARTICULABLE legal or moral reason for doing it.  Then if you are asked by the powers that be about it exercise your rights and get an attorney before not answering their questions.    

Electronics are not my strong point.  I like the microwave idea but am afraid I might cook myself in the process.  If you are justified :) in knocking it down the simplest method would probably be the best, either shotgun set up for goose hunting or if you had to be quiet maybe crossbow with the bird snare type head.  I would imagine the shotgun would be far more effective.  I understand some peta types have had their drones shot down at some southern dove hunts.  Oh, the humanity!

Cheers  
Ps.  I took some metabolism boosters about an hour ago.  It also boosts my sarcasm.  Its all good, nothing personal to anyone or their posts.
Link Posted: 9/30/2014 9:02:06 AM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
Are you seriously being harassed by a drone or is this whole play on semantics just for the sake of conversation?
View Quote

As the perpetrator in some of the most threads in the SF to date, I would cut the guy a little slack.
Link Posted: 9/30/2014 9:18:59 AM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
Wow, the poster asks a relevant questions and gets all kinds of responses from "reported" to put up giant nets over your property.  Nice.  (I have no doubt putting nets all over your property to capture songbirds, migratory birds, various game animals and wildlife, impeding air space as well as entangling other peoples private property is not within the law or your zoning regs, however I won't report that post at this time.)
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Which part of the OP is relevant?
Quoted:

i would like to have something that can interrupt some one doing a recon of my area, with an RC rotor driven drone,  with the intent of stealing and keeping it for myself.

The act of bringing it down is most likely illegal,
but for sure the part in red is relevant as it is a direct violation of the Code of Conduct "#4 Posting comments or links in support of illegal activities"

Theft is illegal.
OP has modified the wording of his original post.

If you mean by relevant, that you are also curious how to take down "drones",
the problem is that it is apparently not illegal for people to fly them around your property.

http://denver.cbslocal.com/2014/07/02/drone-crashes-in-brighton-mans-backyard/

http://www.wxyz.com/news/mystery-drone-lands-in-familys-backyard

and probably happens more than you might think, and will probably increase in the future.

OTOH, I never thought I would need to set up an ADA battery on my property.
Link Posted: 9/30/2014 10:10:21 AM EDT
[#39]
Make a 2.4Ghz signal generator
Link Posted: 9/30/2014 10:45:39 AM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
Is theft still a crime?
View Quote

The IRS robbed the hell out of me this year and no one is getting arrested over there...

Edit: The last episode of Hawaii 5-O I saw had Hurley from Lost using like a remote control EMP something or another doodad to high jack a drone. They had to chase it down in the Camaro first, so you probably need a Camaro as well.

For what it is worth, if this were a WROL situation, I'd just shoot the damn thing.
Link Posted: 9/30/2014 12:33:08 PM EDT
[#41]
Is this the OP.

http://philadelphia.cbslocal.com/2014/09/30/new-jersey-man-accused-of-shooting-down-neighbors-remote-control-drone/
Link Posted: 9/30/2014 3:22:34 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:

reported
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

reported

In bold is why it was "reported".  This is not GD.   You shoot at someone's model helicopter and they will be taking you to court.   And if you try to retrieve that model helicopter with your fudd gun in your hand while its owner is picking up the pieces?   Do you know what these three words now have in common?

Means
Ability
Intent

Link Posted: 9/30/2014 3:40:35 PM EDT
[#43]
nm....
Link Posted: 9/30/2014 6:17:02 PM EDT
[#44]
Someone flies a drone around my house for the purpose of filming it, they will lose said drone. I've been shooting flying objects for 47 years and they fly a lot faster than the drone.

Tom
Link Posted: 9/30/2014 7:25:47 PM EDT
[#45]
Assuming SHTF or TEOTWAKI and such and without doing anything illegal. strap a microwave oven emitter with a one-time power supply to your own cheap RC and fly it close to target and power on the emitter. Probably fry your plane/drone too but oh well.
Link Posted: 9/30/2014 7:39:04 PM EDT
[#46]

Quoted:

Someone flies a drone around my house for the purpose of filming it, they will lose said drone. I've been shooting flying objects for 47 years and they fly a lot faster than the drone.

Tom
View Quote
the where alot bigger than a drone too.

Link Posted: 9/30/2014 7:50:06 PM EDT
[#47]
Couple of things folks may want to know.

First, there is some case law that supports the notion that at low altitudes, the property owner has sole ownership of the airspace. This was one of the issues brought up in the appeal in the Pirker case. A previous Supreme Court case gave some indication that below the "minimum navigable airspace", that the airspace can be used by the property owner exclusively. So, it would not be illegal to consider a low-flying drone as engaging in trespass. So, what the property owner can legally do may be state and/or locality dependent.

Second, it is dreadfully easy to disrupt 2.4Ghz FHSS R/C signals. Ask me how I know. One way of doing so is to buy one of those higher-power 2.4Ghz analog video transmitters. The crappy ones spew out so much noise over such a large bandwidth, that there's nothing left that isn't noisy. I even managed to take down a WiFi unit somebody was using to control a ground robot. Oops. So, yes, you can disrupt 2.4Ghz R/C signals rather easily, which is why the FAA is so concerned about people using the unlicensed bands for command-and-control of UAS that could drop out of the sky when the link is broken. It's also easy to disrupt the 900Mhz band telemetry links the same way, by using a crappy, high power, 900Mhz analog video blaster nearby (amongst other ways, like using multiple high-power 900Mhz FHSS units, each programmed to take up a small sliver of bandwidth completely).

If somebody were flying something at low altitudes over my house, I would start by trying to follow where it goes. The multi-copters have very short endurance and so probably aren't more than say 100-200 yards from their launch point. The fixed-wings can get a little farther but, again, probably not more than a half mile or so, particularly with heavy tree cover. (I've operated at much longer ranges, but only with specialized gear that hobbyists would likely not have access to.) Once I found who was operating the little bugger, I'd explain to the operator the concept of trespass and common courtesy. Or, I'd set up one of my birds to track his back to launch point and drop a giant paint balloon on the operator. They'd never know it was coming.
Link Posted: 9/30/2014 8:00:53 PM EDT
[#48]
Oh the noes...

Reckless endangerment...

Reported...

Link Posted: 9/30/2014 8:09:13 PM EDT
[#49]
My ex-brother in law was really really really in to CB radios back in the late 1990 and early 2000s.  

Once of his hobbies/pleasures was to take a 30 pack of Keystone, his K5 Blazer and his CB to the local RC airport.

Apparently, when he keyed-down the mic the CB was strong enough to jam the signals.  He used to laugh until he was crying about the mad, crying, confused RC'ers trying to slap, bang and jolt their remotes to regain control.

They never knew it was him.

They would all gather round and try to scratch their heads to see why a remote suddenly quit working, adding new batteries, each person trying to solve the mystery.

He would not make them crash, just fuck with them enough to entertain himself ... for hours.

His CB was strong enough to glow a fluorescent bulb held 5 feet away from the antennae.

Just relaying the story.

Relaying.

TRG
Link Posted: 9/30/2014 8:45:53 PM EDT
[#50]
I have wanted to invent battle drones for awhile
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 3
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top