Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 8/30/2012 3:47:32 PM EDT
Hey everyone, how do you retrieve water from your well when the power goes out? Obviously a generator is handy, but gasoline may not be readily available during a prolonged outage. Is there a manual pump that is tried and true? Other ideas? I need something that can work in the same typical 6" casing that holds the electric pump.

We're moving to a house that has a well and I'm trying to do as much research as I can.
Link Posted: 8/30/2012 3:58:25 PM EDT
[#1]
One of these would work.  I don't think it would be too hard to make out of PVC pipe...

Well bucket
Link Posted: 8/30/2012 3:59:11 PM EDT
[#2]
hand pumps.

how deep is your well?
Link Posted: 8/30/2012 4:04:13 PM EDT
[#3]
Are there hand pumps that work on the same casing that holds the electric pump? What makes/designs/sellers are proven?
Link Posted: 8/30/2012 4:10:10 PM EDT
[#4]

yeah, but it depends on the depth.

Link Posted: 8/30/2012 4:10:56 PM EDT
[#5]
http://www.bisonpumps.com/
Link Posted: 8/30/2012 4:17:01 PM EDT
[#6]
some of these deep well pumps get up there towards a thousand bucks. you would be better off collecting rainwater.

i have a shallow well and cistern(rainwater) for my water storage if the city water goes out.
Link Posted: 8/30/2012 4:37:18 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
One of these would work.  I don't think it would be too hard to make out of PVC pipe...
Well bucket

from the link,

You may have to remove any installed submersible pump before using a well bucket

that's an understatement.  there is no way to get any kind of "well bucket" down a well bore when there are one or more torque arrestors on the pipe string.

OP:
see
http://www.ar15.com/forums/t_10_17/658134_.html

ar-jedi

Link Posted: 8/30/2012 4:51:53 PM EDT
[#8]
That well bucket is just a well bailer- you can buy much less expensive models made of PVC that will work as well for drinking water.  I used to do environmental work including sampling and after bailing a couple of gallons out of a deep well your arms get tired.  One way to make the job easier is to get one of those orange extension/drop cord winders and use that to wind the thing up and down.  When your string breaks or comes untied, and I can guarantee it happening at least once no matter how much you think it won't, a treble hook will be a Godsend.  Use a stainless nut as a weight instead of a lead fishing weight.
Link Posted: 8/30/2012 4:53:07 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
I used to do environmental work including sampling and after bailing a couple of gallons out of a deep well your arms get tired.  

what else was in the well bore?

ar-jedi
Link Posted: 8/30/2012 5:05:58 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Quoted:
I used to do environmental work including sampling and after bailing a couple of gallons out of a deep well your arms get tired.  

what else was in the well bore?

ar-jedi

Nothing as they were sampling wells.  As for your home water well you had already noted that you have to remove the pump so I didn't see the point in mentioning it again.  It's also pretty obvious if you pull the top off and see that there isn't room for the bailer with the drop pipe in place.

Personally I'd recommend going with a solar setup if you can afford it as bailing is a PITA.  If you have the wind for it a windmill that would be much easier too.  Either way I'd have a cistern/tank/something to hold water for ready availability.  

ETA- Link to solar example
Link Posted: 8/30/2012 5:08:57 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

This!

Link Posted: 8/30/2012 5:28:24 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Hey everyone, how do you retrieve water from your well when the power goes out? Obviously a generator is handy, but gasoline may not be readily available during a prolonged outage.

How much water do you really need during a prolonged outage?

Are you going to be drinking it, or using it to water the lawn and wash the car?

It doesn't take much generator run-time (or fuel) to produce one heck of a lot of drinking water.
Link Posted: 8/30/2012 6:12:52 PM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Hey everyone, how do you retrieve water from your well when the power goes out? Obviously a generator is handy, but gasoline may not be readily available during a prolonged outage.

How much water do you really need during a prolonged outage?

Are you going to be drinking it, or using it to water the lawn and wash the car?

It doesn't take much generator run-time (or fuel) to produce one heck of a lot of drinking water.

There ya go. Dedicate 10 gallons or so of generator fuel JUST FOR WELL WATER. If you get to these last 10 gallons, whatever you are powering had better be more important than drinking water. Those 10 gallons should get you a LONG time for a natural disaster. For TEOTWAWKI, pull your submersible and use your well bucket for unlimited water.

Link Posted: 8/30/2012 7:20:53 PM EDT
[#14]
At all my relative's houses near here the water keeps flowing as all the wells in town are artesian wells.  My place on the other hand does not have an artesian well, but I am on an island so I am surrounded by water.  At least I can flush the toilet when I don't have power.
Link Posted: 8/30/2012 7:30:25 PM EDT
[#15]
http://www.tractorsupply.com/hand-pumps/cast-iron-pitcher-pump-3125045
If your well is 25' deep or less you can install one of these perminantly for $42 plus som PVC. Two valve to segregate it when not in use and block off the eletric pump when it is inop. Spare parts are cheap, easy to find and you could make them in a pinch. You can fill buckets to flush toilets and we will fill a large tub for the horses to drink from. We could live indefinately, waterwise, without electricity or gasloline. They make similar pumps for deeper wells but the price goes up and I'm not sure if they can stay in place with the electric pump.
Link Posted: 8/30/2012 8:05:24 PM EDT
[#16]
Link Posted: 8/30/2012 8:41:23 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

Well bucket

Yery simple and will work.   Have had a home built version for many years.   Great SHTF backup.  

Link Posted: 8/30/2012 8:42:50 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Well bucket

from the link,

You may have to remove any installed submersible pump before using a well bucket

that's an understatement.  there is no way to get any kind of "well bucket" down a well bore when there are one or more torque arrestors on the pipe string.

OP:
see
http://www.ar15.com/forums/t_10_17/658134_.html

ar-jedi

What the hell ever happened to common sense.  

Link Posted: 8/30/2012 9:14:48 PM EDT
[#19]
My well is ~500' deep. Running out of fuel isn't really an option.

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 8/30/2012 11:21:23 PM EDT
[#20]
Batteries.
Inverter.
Deep well pump.
Recharge batteries with PV modules.
Generator for backup.
Link Posted: 8/31/2012 1:51:16 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
Batteries.
Inverter.
Deep well pump.
Generator for backup.

My setup exactly
Link Posted: 8/31/2012 2:47:54 AM EDT
[#22]

Link Posted: 8/31/2012 2:59:08 AM EDT
[#23]
When I was a kid that was our ONLY source of water.............

referribg to the pic directly above
Link Posted: 8/31/2012 4:12:02 AM EDT
[#24]
Link Posted: 8/31/2012 4:43:21 AM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Batteries.
Inverter.
Deep well pump.
Generator for backup.

My setup exactly

..So is your pump 110v? or did you get a 230v inverter?...this is our problem...static level at 110' and we have a 230v pump, would love to go solar but it seems for our application there a limited choices
Link Posted: 8/31/2012 8:56:08 AM EDT
[#26]
My well was drilled to 610 feet, and I have a Bison on it. I really dont intend to use it much, but if the wild wind blows, its nice to know it'll be there. Meanwhile, for contemporary disasters such as power outages - and they seem to come a week at a time around here - I use my genny to power the house and well anyway.
Link Posted: 8/31/2012 8:58:15 AM EDT
[#27]
...and I own page two once again. So suck it! Hee hee! Sorry, mods, I just couldnt resist.
Link Posted: 8/31/2012 9:21:37 AM EDT
[#28]
Submersible deep well pump is 240 volts.
Small 4kVA transformer at pump control box is fed 120 Volts AC from inverters.
Has been working just fine since 2003.
Get a good QUALITY Inverter, and you should be fine.
The GOOD inverters seem to all be built in Washington state.
Link Posted: 8/31/2012 9:43:24 AM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

..So is your pump 110v? or did you get a 230v inverter?...this is our problem...static level at 110' and we have a 230v pump, would love to go solar but it seems for our application there a limited choices

My deep well is 240v and house pump is 240v. My inverter is an SMA Sunny Island5048u run to a step up transformer to 240. The inverter easily runs both pumps at the same time.
Link Posted: 8/31/2012 10:05:54 AM EDT
[#30]
[/quote]

What the hell ever happened to common sense.  

[/quote]

DC, You have to cut them some slack because probably a lot of these boys have never pulled a well before.  Ours around here run an average of 200'.  My family was poor so ours had one piece light wall black pvc pipe running down to the 1/2 hp pump along with a 1/2 yellow poly rope.  I pulled it by hand in my teens, 20's and early 30's.  It wasn't so bad if you had a split in the pvc pipe down near the pump and all the water had drained out, but man if there was pump problems and the line was full of water, it took everything I had.  I pulled it probably 10-12 times over those years and I am sure as hell glad those days are gone.  My current well has heavy pvc pipe in joints going down to a 1-1/2 hp pump.  I have an A frame mounted over the well so that I can pull it by winch or even come a long if necessary.
Of course a generator or inverter is your best first option, but if it comes down to the nut cutting, a drop bucket will work.
Link Posted: 8/31/2012 1:35:56 PM EDT
[#31]
Link Posted: 9/5/2012 5:38:23 AM EDT
[#32]
This is what I water my garden with using on old cased well on my property.  I have it set up on a solar panel and marine battery.  Works great for a few gallons at a time and I know I can use it at the house if I need too.  I haven't tried to sneak it past the lines to my submersible so I might have to pull that out, but these things are pretty thin.  I use them for work (environmental) too.

http://proactivepumps.com/
Link Posted: 9/5/2012 10:18:54 AM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
This is what I water my garden with using on old cased well on my property.  I have it set up on a solar panel and marine battery.  Works great for a few gallons at a time and I know I can use it at the house if I need too.  I haven't tried to sneak it past the lines to my submersible so I might have to pull that out, but these things are pretty thin.  I use them for work (environmental) too.

Site looks interesting. Which pump do you have?

Link Posted: 9/5/2012 10:27:54 AM EDT
[#34]

I had asked you about this previously, but I couldn't find your details.

Can you describe how deep, what motor, set up cost?

Link Posted: 9/5/2012 2:07:33 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

I had asked you about this previously, but I couldn't find your details.

Can you describe how deep, what motor, set up cost?

I threw some pictures of the motor, panel, etc. in this thread.

I have since put the tanks on stands and installed several concrete troughs.

3 units. I *think* we wound up around $4K per. Reliable water has been bugging me for a while. It's a HUGE check-mark on my to-do's.
Link Posted: 9/6/2012 5:24:06 AM EDT
[#36]

Quoted:
Quoted:

Site looks interesting. Which pump do you have?

I have the Super Twister.  Its been a pretty sweet pump although I have gone through a couple of fuses from running it to long.  No big deal to throw in a new one.  In environmental work they are considered "disposable" but I think they're rated for a few hundred hours of life - thats a lot of water.  I should point out that they are not meant to stay in the well like a normal submersible - I pull mine out of the water when not in use.  But heck for a couple hundred bucks they're a great back-up or occasional use unit.
Link Posted: 9/6/2012 1:18:15 PM EDT
[#37]
We bought our generator for our well.  With those alternative methods, bucket, hand pump etc.   our water would be unfiltered.   We have lots of 'torpedo tubes' as I call them to get the iron and other crap out of the water.  

Link Posted: 9/6/2012 1:57:31 PM EDT
[#38]

Quoted:

We bought our generator for our well.  With those alternative methods, bucket, hand pump etc.   our water would be unfiltered.   We have lots of 'torpedo tubes' as I call them to get the iron and other crap out of the water.  

Have you come up with a good way to get rid of high iron content?

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top