Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 8/12/2012 6:19:15 PM EDT
I would like to hook up a drip irrigation system to a solar pump.  I have a stream and pond and would like to put the water to use. Does anyone know where I could get a solar panel pump kit. I plan on using this system to water three trees and a compost pile  Also any other ideas about setting up a system like this.
Link Posted: 8/12/2012 6:34:55 PM EDT
[#1]
While I haven't done this yet I looked through the options when we got our rain barrels. Because of the lack of power from most packaged solar systems, I was going to use the solar pump to lift the water to a higher barrel/reservoir and gravity to direct the water to the garden via pvc pipes. I don't think you'll get much flow/pressure from solar pumps unless you make your own setup.
Link Posted: 8/12/2012 7:19:05 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
I would like to hook up a drip irrigation system to a solar pump.  I have a stream and pond and would like to put the water to use. Does anyone know where I could get a solar panel pump kit. I plan on using this system to water three trees and a compost pile  Also any other ideas about setting up a system like this.

Why not buy the components separately, hook them together -easy, then you will save $$$ and forevermore be able to maintain your system with knowledge that can't be stolen from you.

Get your family involved so they benefit as well.

Here's an overkill system, likely, but would be useful for a multitude of projects for others.

A good 225 watt panel ~$300, 4 golf cart batteries, ~$70 each, a cheap controller, [initially, then later get a better MPPT one] abt $100, wire and stuff, $100, the whole lashup doesn't have to be fancy, just safe.

I did a thread a couple years ago on a solar refrigerator system and the solar part worked out free [I'm sure it did, don't remember how]  

That article pretty much discussed most of what you needed to set up a system.

Then you need some sort of 12 vdc pump [RV water pump] and bingo UR DUN!

Found a couple of my threads... Any questions on how to save $$$ on the parts, ask.

http://www.ar15.com/archive/topic.html?b=10&f=17&t=585317

http://archery.ar15.com/archive/topic.html?b=10&f=17&t=638662

Link Posted: 8/12/2012 8:26:33 PM EDT
[#3]
You need decent pressure for drip emiters.  You are also going to need a filter- debris will clog up the emitters.  The standard for 12V pumps is shurflow,  You are goign to need panels, maybe a charge controller (unless you have lots of batteries), and a timer.  A typical sureflow pump is going to deliver 1.3 gpm at 30-60 psi and consume 6 amps.  This isn't going to run a whole lot of emitters, so you will need either zone valves or multiple pumps.

Just as a figure of merit, to water 100 gallons is going to take 75 minutes and eat up 8 Ah of battery requiring about 9Ah of charging, or about  30 watt panells in a good location, tilted for summer sun.

Watch the current draw, (or PSI) and if it gets too high, add emitters.  watch the pressure to detect plugged emitters.

Years ago I designed a solar powered system for a blueberry farm (just the controls and battery charger were solar, we used a 10 hp gas engine for pumping.) and thats about all of my experience with drip irrigation.
Link Posted: 8/13/2012 7:42:44 AM EDT
[#4]
I'm in the process of cobbling together a similar setup. So far, I have the following waiting to be put together.
2 Big'ol water totes for rain water.
Harbor Freight Solar Panel Kit (with charge controller)
HF 12 volt pump
12 volt timer (off fleabay)
Old car battery
Various sprinkler heads.
I won't be back home for a few days, when I am I'll add accurate part #s and prices.

I figured I'd put it together and see how it ran, then tweak as necessary. That mathamatizin' be  sorcery.
Link Posted: 8/13/2012 7:49:01 AM EDT
[#5]
I am not sophisticated in solar, but we recently added 3 wells. 65 - 115'. All solar.
I didn't design the system, but I am damn impressed with the flow we're getting in decent sun. I haven't measured the gpm.
We spent the day on Saturday building stands for the tanks (500 gal.)
Pics below so you can see the components we used.

Our job foreman does not approve of the picture break.

Link Posted: 9/5/2012 6:43:20 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:

Priceless!

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top