BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 149
Link Posted: 5/16/2015 8:22:43 PM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Actually, my wife did something today that made me very proud. She said, "we really need to get our emergency stuff in order. I'm buying a book and making a timeline for that." This is a woman who heretofore has had zero interest.
View Quote

My wife will do that from time to time as well. I read where some folks' spouse isn't on board. That's tough. 2 weeks ago my wife texts me and ask if I want a Ruger 22 pistol that her cousin is selling. Then follows up to say her grandmother has a security six that belonged to her deceased ex husband. I tell her ok on both.

Woohoo I own a page in this thread !!
Link Posted: 5/16/2015 10:19:38 PM EDT
[#2]
Bolted down the new gunsafe
Link Posted: 5/16/2015 10:49:42 PM EDT
[#3]
I started a detailed home inventory. This has become a much bigger project than expected. Once done, it will be stored on a flash drive with copies in numerous places...
Link Posted: 5/18/2015 12:14:32 PM EDT
[#4]
Last year we had one 4x8' garden. This year we have two. SHould be transplanting this week.
Picked up the organic planter's mix. Also finished up a Recce recently. That makes 4 functional ARs. One more project gun crossed off the list.

Link Posted: 5/18/2015 3:39:42 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
Actually, my wife did something today that made me very proud. She said, "we really need to get our emergency stuff in order. I'm buying a book and making a timeline for that." This is a woman who heretofore has had zero interest.
View Quote

Sometimes, I feel my wife just preps because I lead it. Them, sometimes she presents me with an article or idea and she takes it on.
I don't give her enough credit, she is just as preparedness minded as I am but just has different aspects of it as priorities (as well she should, we are designed differently).
Nurture that spirit in your wife, let her make it her own with just some input. Don't take it over but give her praise for taking it on.

There are many people on this board who can only wish that their spouse would get into this mindset. Time is short.
Link Posted: 5/19/2015 12:01:23 AM EDT
[#6]
Made a planter box for the tomatoes.
Link Posted: 5/19/2015 4:20:54 AM EDT
[#7]
Got all the emergency channels programmed in as presets to a new digital radio.

Am completely reconfiguring my field gear. Banshee plate carrier, which had pouches attached, is now going to have the Haley Strategic D3CR as a quick detaching front panel (maybe). That, or I'll buy another, more minimalist type carrier for it, maybe with only soft armor this time.

Talked with some family members... and found there's interest in doing some "tactics training". I have experience overseas with convoy security / vehicle ops, plus some very good books; so will be putting together some good drills just to get everyone onto roughly the same page.
Link Posted: 5/19/2015 4:32:26 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
View Quote

This happens on occasion, and I'm usually caught slightly off guard by it. Suddenly someone, immediate or extended, will say something like;

'I really want to know how to use this gun better'
'we should really have some more water stored, just in case'
'I shot the other day and really didn't shoot well, can you help me?'
'we should have more [longer term storage type] food stored away'
'I want to get some more ammo for X gun'
Link Posted: 5/20/2015 1:11:43 PM EDT
[#9]
Turned up the soil in the planter box and stirred in fresh soil. Also added a lot of ground up eggshells (free range chicken eggshells) to the mix.
Link Posted: 5/20/2015 10:07:10 PM EDT
[#10]
I'm working on expanding my skill set. In particular, tonight I cut my first single point threads on my mini lathe. This aluminum rod is now threaded 1/2x28 on the end:

Eventually, I want to get good enough at this so I can thread rifle barrels, like on my Savage Mark IIGL and Ruger 10/22, so I can attach my Form 1 suppressor to them.

Link Posted: 5/21/2015 2:34:10 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:

I'm working on expanding my skill set. In particular, tonight I cut my first single point threads on my mini lathe. This aluminum rod is now threaded 1/2x28 on the end:

http://flintlock.org/pics/var/resizes/Machining/28TPI-threads.jpg?m=1432170091
Eventually, I want to get good enough at this so I can thread rifle barrels, like on my Savage Mark IIGL and Ruger 10/22, so I can attach my Form 1 suppressor to them.

View Quote

Just a tip. Get several lengths of schedule 40 PVC pipe in different sizes and use that to practice cutting threads. Its much cheaper.

Link Posted: 5/21/2015 2:46:25 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

View Quote

Good work Dave, cutting threads is quite a challenge.

There are some special threading cutters from MSE, etc, that I think are worth having, but I never mastered how to use them. On my list tho...  

Link Posted: 5/21/2015 3:14:33 PM EDT
[#13]
Thanks guys. Great idea for getting some PVC pipe. I'll have to swing by Lowe's.
Link Posted: 5/21/2015 10:57:30 PM EDT
[#14]
Just bought some USGI cold weather gear off ebay.

It's the same new system stuff I was being issued only a couple years ago. Used it a lot and it's great stuff. Would have saved countless lives, feet, and digits in every past winter war in history.

One Gen III level 5 jacket. (newest ver of gortex parka) and a set of the Level 7 puffy arctic underlayer. The Level 5 jacket is in OCP (multicam), so will blend very well in Minnesota.

Not cheap stuff, so buying as I pick up extra shifts at work. Next is Level 5 pants and a set of level 6 rain gear maybe. That or a new plate carrier... Mayflower or something.
Link Posted: 5/22/2015 12:53:18 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

View Quote

Don't have the workpiece stick out that far.  Pressure from the tool bit presses the workpiece in the opposite direction.  The less the workpiece protrudes, the more rigid it is and less susceptible to pressure from the tool bit.

Also, if you're going to do a barrel, get a gage that fits the caliber and put that in the bore.  Then place your dial indicator against it to ensure that the barrel is truly centered.
Link Posted: 5/22/2015 3:50:57 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
Just bought some USGI cold weather gear off ebay.

It's the same new system stuff I was being issued only a couple years ago. Used it a lot and it's great stuff. Would have saved countless lives, feet, and digits in every past winter war in history.

One Gen III level 5 jacket. (newest ver of gortex parka) and a set of the Level 7 puffy arctic underlayer. The Level 5 jacket is in OCP (multicam), so will blend very well in Minnesota.

Not cheap stuff, so buying as I pick up extra shifts at work. Next is Level 5 pants and a set of level 6 rain gear maybe. That or a new plate carrier... Mayflower or something.
View Quote

i love goretex. i scored a bunch from a lady on craigslist a few months back. i think i got 1 small parka, 1 medium parka, 2 large parkas, and a xl parka, and two pairs of medium pants... for $160.00.  she and her husband were prior service, and were dumping their old gear. i think iv got about 10 sets of that stuff now, well not sets, but at least 10 jackets, and probably 4-5 pants. its not very good for backpacking, or bob's cause its so thick and heavy.. they issued me a light weight goretex verson once... but i have not seen it when im in the market... if i do ill get 2-3 of those for bob's. . i gave my gf's dad a set for xmas, and he loves it. hes 80 years old, and still goes to feed his cows everyday, and rides a atv. he wore it every single day from xmas day, until it got warm enough to stop.... still wears it when its raining.
Link Posted: 5/23/2015 9:38:14 PM EDT
[#17]
Paid off the vehicle 16 months early.  Next step to build up some savings then start to pay more on the house.

I think it's a true sign of age when you get excited about paying off a bill. When I was younger, making the bill was the exciting part.
Link Posted: 5/24/2015 11:14:28 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

i love goretex. i scored a bunch from a lady on craigslist a few months back. i think i got 1 small parka, 1 medium parka, 2 large parkas, and a xl parka, and two pairs of medium pants... for $160.00.  she and her husband were prior service, and were dumping their old gear. i think iv got about 10 sets of that stuff now, well not sets, but at least 10 jackets, and probably 4-5 pants. its not very good for backpacking, or bob's cause its so thick and heavy.. they issued me a light weight goretex verson once... but i have not seen it when im in the market... if i do ill get 2-3 of those for bob's. . i gave my gf's dad a set for xmas, and he loves it. hes 80 years old, and still goes to feed his cows everyday, and rides a atv. he wore it every single day from xmas day, until it got warm enough to stop.... still wears it when its raining.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Those 90's gortex jackets are pretty nice as well, and common so therefore cheaper. I still have some med-reg ones stored away, but not as useful when I wear med-long.

The newer versions AREN'T the older ones. Very nice stuff. What sucks is you get two choices; UCP (ACU) or OCP (multicam). UCP kinda sucks but are cheap and very available, and the OCP ones are more expensive and less common.

I paid $80 about for just the level 5 coat, which is the modern gortex parka. The arctic suit was like $120 for the set. Medium-long isn't the most common size ever.
Link Posted: 5/25/2015 12:56:57 AM EDT
[#19]
I started planting Antonovka apple trees in my ever growing orchard / food plot.
Supposed to be a tough little tree with a lot of options on the harvest, early for pie and late for eating.
Interesting it is supposed to be the only apple tree that will come up true from seed.
Link Posted: 5/26/2015 8:55:08 PM EDT
[#20]
hmmm, pic failed... standby.

Photobucket is being an over flash scripted !@#$.
Link Posted: 5/26/2015 10:19:21 PM EDT
[#21]
Bought 350 rounds of 9mm 300 perfecta and 50 federal aluminium
1000 rounds of 22lr from palmetto state - cci standard velocity

If I can nail down another 1600 rounds of 9mm, I will switch back to long-term food for a bit.
I like going back and forth to break up the monotony.
Link Posted: 5/26/2015 11:02:09 PM EDT
[#22]
Just to sum up the last couple weeks, which I haven't been posting for.

USGI ECWS Level 5 jacket, S&W M&P .40S&W w/ Nights, x6 Lancer L5 mags, Haley Strategic D3 Chest Rig, G-Code OSH holster for M&P, 300rds of .380ACP, x6 CAT gen2 TQ's, x10 9mm dummy rounds, USGI ECWS Level 7 puffy set.

Have a HSP 'holster wedge' and some clips waiting for me at the house. Slowly building up the HSP D3CR and getting it on my Banshee PC. Also have a S&W Bodyguard (auto) waiting for me at an FFL at home. Got really buzzed and the first thing I did was go online and bought more Lancer mags. Love them. Slowly buying back all my USGI cold and wet weather gear now that Uncle Sugar took his back. Also a 1k case of 40S&W and 240rds of Freedom's 168gr Amax all back home waiting. Have already shot the M&P and love it (after disabling the magazine disconnet safety!)

Link Posted: 5/30/2015 7:34:13 PM EDT
[#23]
And now spent the last hour taking lots of velcro off. So tedious. Will use buttons for the sleeve pocket flaps. Besides being noisy and dirty, not sure of a single use for the velcro on there now that I'm out.

Link Posted: 5/31/2015 4:03:20 PM EDT
[#24]
Picked up a CZ P-09 and 4 extra mags earlier this week. I've put 225 rounds through it so far and I'm very pleased with it.

Today I planted some string beans, parsley, mint, and a sweet banana pepper plant.

After the gardening, I primed a couple hundred .308 cases, then resized another batch of them. I also tumbled a big pickle jar of 9mm brass, probably at least 1K of them.
Link Posted: 6/1/2015 10:35:16 AM EDT
[#25]
Bought a stainless Reminton R1 .45 cal 1911 at Sportsmans Warehouse along with 6 extra mags,a holster and 500 rds of FMJ ammo to feed it. I also bought 100 foil packets of emergency water. I also bought 4 cases of Mt.House freeze dried food from Costco.. Each case has 13 meals.
Link Posted: 6/1/2015 11:20:10 AM EDT
[#26]
Got in most of the garden
Link Posted: 6/2/2015 1:20:46 AM EDT
[#27]
17 of the 26 potatoes I planted in the ground (regular outside dirt and not potting soil) have sprouted leaves.

The other potatoes in the garden boxes are doing well.
Link Posted: 6/4/2015 5:52:42 PM EDT
[#28]
25 out of 26 potatoes have sprouted.
Link Posted: 6/4/2015 6:19:43 PM EDT
[#29]
Picked up 3 used colt 30 rd AR mags for $20 locally
Picked up 250 rds of perfecta 9mm
Link Posted: 6/5/2015 9:14:15 PM EDT
[#30]
A bit of the garden planted. Cucumbers were done too early and only a couple sprouts. A couple bad cold spells in May. Will replant some. On the other hand, already have some rubarb in the fridge.

Got a USGI molle ii medium ruck/pack. I've always been weary of Alice packs for a while. Kinda junk. This medium pack has a frame, which my other same sized packs lack. Will eventually get a USGI ruck, but waiting until I can legally work more overtime. I hit it too hard in May apparently. Had an issued one, but now need my own.

Link Posted: 6/6/2015 10:59:34 AM EDT
[#31]
26/26 potatoes are up!  
Link Posted: 6/6/2015 2:40:40 PM EDT
[#32]
Bought 2 non-CARB gas cans (6 & 5 gal (new)) at a yard sale yesterday for $13..
Link Posted: 6/6/2015 8:49:33 PM EDT
[#33]
I've been stocking a hard-to-access house of mine as my bugout location.  Today I bought a five year supply of mens, womens, childrens and pre-natal vitamins.  I also picked up a years worth of batteries of all primary use types.

By this year is over there should be enough food supply to keep a family of 4 healthy for 5 years with normal meals and some fun food.  I may increase that amount so that six can survive here no problem.
Link Posted: 6/7/2015 11:46:02 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
A bit of the garden planted. Cucumbers were done too early and only a couple sprouts. A couple bad cold spells in May. Will replant some. On the other hand, already have some rubarb in the fridge.

Got a USGI molle ii medium ruck/pack. I've always been weary of Alice packs for a while. Kinda junk. This medium pack has a frame, which my other same sized packs lack. Will eventually get a USGI ruck, but waiting until I can legally work more overtime. I hit it too hard in May apparently. Had an issued one, but now need my own.

http://i1083.photobucket.com/albums/j381/cavscout888/IMG_20150606_162431829.jpg
View Quote

Quit watching me garden. Weather was nice, planted 4 rows of cukes, sprouted then temps dropped into the mid 30's.

I replanted my cukes and they're already sprouting.

Shot 200 rounds, sighted in my red dot and started looking at my gear that needs improvement.
Link Posted: 6/10/2015 7:40:57 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

Quit watching me garden. Weather was nice, planted 4 rows of cukes, sprouted then temps dropped into the mid 30's.

Shot 200 rounds, sighted in my red dot and started looking at my gear that needs improvement.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Why you copying me??

Last night I finally had all the parts and managed to put the HSP D3CR on my Banshee. Do like. Kind of thick in the upper belly area though. Sticks out pretty far with a full sized pistol behind it.

Bought four mag pouches off Amazon. $4 each for Blackhawk double-double AK mag pouches, even in UCP camo, is a good deal. I had several spare vests/carriers and a few AK's I could make rigs for.

Also ordered a Burris PEPR scope mount for a SPR type AR. The Nikon mount slides on, just like the rear sight... so no way to Z both while leaving them on the weapon. I don't count on return-to-Z for my BUIS.
Link Posted: 6/12/2015 8:04:44 AM EDT
[#36]
Put 150 lbs of salt and 75 lbs of sugar into Mylar and buckets.
Link Posted: 6/12/2015 11:58:41 AM EDT
[#37]
Haven't posted in a while. (Went back to.......Lord help me......WORK... )  Retirement lasted all of a year and a half. It was nice, but wasn't putting any cash in the safe.

Earlier this year added half dozen Rhode Island Red chicks, and the obligatory tractor-mansion. (Still NOT complete)

Got my lic. back yesterday, (amended) to add a pretty sweet Kimber 10-mm. Got 5 boxes of various makes / grains to make sure she's not finicky..

Hope all you kooks are well if not, better than last year...
Link Posted: 6/12/2015 2:53:53 PM EDT
[#38]
Got four of these. Two in each vehicle's GHB, compact smoke/chemical masks:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/201304156920?_trksid=p2060353.m2749.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

Picked up one of these (NBC 40mm filter) to test fit on our old Scott masks, fit great and not expired, now to stump up the money for five more:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/181575373668?_trksid=p2060353.m1438.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT
Link Posted: 6/13/2015 4:24:22 AM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/201304156920?_trksid=p2060353.m2749.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

Picked up one of these (NBC 40mm filter) to test fit on our old Scott masks, fit great and not expired, now to stump up the money for five more:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/181575373668?_trksid=p2060353.m1438.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT
View Quote

I looked at the masks... are you sure it's not a Chinese ebay gimmick???
Link Posted: 6/13/2015 11:10:47 AM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I hope not! This has happened to me before LOL

I did a little research and it seems as though the product is good but the company did not survive the 2008 "change" and a patent infringement lawsuit , which explains the "surplus" pricing we see. They are made in San Diego, Ca. The masks themselves are packed in a sealed and vacuumed mylar pouch with clear instructions on outside. I have not opened one yet, but will this weekend and report back.

WSS
Link Posted: 6/15/2015 8:03:27 PM EDT
[#41]
Well, did a short/sweet bug out drill the other night.

Did a detailed AAR, which sadly only had my input, but have a good list of improves. Some things were obvious deficencies that I already knew about but hadn't taken the time to correct.

Amazing how much can come from a short drill. Back on the old Zombie Survival Wiki, there was a '1' or '5 minutes to run' drill. Just random, you have one or fice minutes to get out of the house and you'll never come back type thing. One minute would be for like a house fire or a large hostile force nearby. Five minutes would be more the hostile force is on the way, or the street block is burning down, or whatever. People always thought highly of that drill as being an ass kicker.

ETA: Point of mentioning the drill... maybe we should do something like that? It was a sticky on the other old site, and people just posted their experience and what they ended up with each time they tried the drill.
Link Posted: 6/16/2015 9:00:04 PM EDT
[#42]
This is a great thread, here is my contrubution for the day:

Details can be found here:
http://www.ar15.com/forums/t_10_17/681521_.html&page=1
Link Posted: 6/17/2015 1:59:54 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:
View Quote

Does salt and sugar need to be packed in Mylar?
Link Posted: 6/17/2015 3:36:44 PM EDT
[#44]
Link Posted: 6/17/2015 8:08:33 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Nope. Keeps them from clumping and attracting moisture. I did some of mine. But it isn't required.
Link Posted: 6/17/2015 8:29:00 PM EDT
[#46]
Bought 40 rounds of .243 and 60 rounds of 308 today. I'm on an ammo kick of late. Never want to be caught short for any contingency. Next week might be 30-06 and 9mm.
Link Posted: 6/18/2015 9:52:16 AM EDT
[#47]

Quoted:
Nope. Keeps them from clumping and attracting moisture. I did some of mine. But it isn't required.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

I put sugar/salt in gallon mylar bags in the LTS pile.

Note: Do NOT add O2 absorbents!
Link Posted: 6/18/2015 11:10:39 AM EDT
[#48]
Went to "Prep-N-Save" and picked up some first aid supplies. They are having a 50% off sale on backpacks and some first aid supplies.

WSS
Link Posted: 6/18/2015 7:31:18 PM EDT
[#49]

Have a bunch of white gas lanterns but decided it would be good to have one that runs on gasoline.  Probably be easier to get a hold of unleaded than white gas in a survival situation.

Link Posted: 6/22/2015 12:37:13 PM EDT
[#50]
Over the weekend, I successfully tested simplex, off-grid comms with a friend who lives ~22 miles away.

On my end I ran a Yaesu FT-817ND at 5 watts into an Arrow Antenna 2M yagi. My friend was running a Kenwood 2M rig with a homebrew yagi. Both of us were running off battery power, relying on nobody else's infrastructure.
Page / 149
Top Top