Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 6/16/2015 8:42:25 PM EDT
I happen to think fondly of my creation, but I NEED you to please CRITICIZE  this setup so that I can improve it.

The Objective: 3 months of LTS food (for 2 people), ready to go at a moments notice; 64 #10 cans (16 per box).

This foot locker (Sterilite 23-Gallon), has met most of my needs/requirements so far. Its sturdy, light weight, inconspicuous and holds 16 #10 cans nicely & securly:
http://www.walmart.com/ip/Sterilite-Footlocker-Titanium-Set-of-2/16415917

(1) Is there a better box for the price (<$20ea)?

(2) What do you think about my "packaging protection" (foil tape/duct tape), any tips to improve it?

(3) General thoughts about this setup/method?

When loaded, depending on the food, each box weighs between 80-95lbs. I can manhandle these into the back of a truck/SUV on my own, but 2 people is best. I don't want to exceed 100lbs per box.

I am in the process of re-doing the food selection, so don't beat me up about all that flour & cornmeal (we like to bake!) There will be a better variety and more balanced food approach that I will post about later.

BTW, pay no attention to that 81mm ammo can; that is not part of this topic. Those ziplock bags (soon to be vacuum packed) are full of Salt, Sugar,dry Yeast, Baking Soda and Cream of Tarter (for making baking powder).

Thanks ahead of time!
Link Posted: 6/16/2015 8:45:12 PM EDT
[#1]
saved for later...
Link Posted: 6/16/2015 9:09:02 PM EDT
[#2]
What is in there?

From what I see it looks like ALOT of stuff that has little to no nutritional value.

look at scotch broth and beans and rice cheap and provide what you need.
Link Posted: 6/16/2015 9:12:14 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:

(2) What do you think about my "packaging protection" (foil tape/duct tape), any tips to improve it?

View Quote

1. boxes seem fine to me.
2. What purpose does the foil tape/duct tape serve?
3. I like your thinking.
How did you determine there is 90 days food for 2 people there?
Link Posted: 6/16/2015 10:24:14 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

3. I like your thinking.1
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

3. I like your thinking.1

Aluminum foil tape is for waterproofing, incase of rain while sitting in the bed of a truck/etc. The duct tape is there just incase the latchs fail, and it also keeps everything tight.
I am considering replacing the duct tape with nylon banding, the type you typically see used in the shipping industry.

I will answer 3, as soon as I have everything sorted (couple days).
The random assortment of #10 cans you see in the photos are for illustration purposes. Somewhere around here I have my notes, where I used fuzzy math to determine that 64 #10 cans will sustain two adults for 90 days @ 3 square meals per day (based on min calorie count).

The thought process is......8 of the 16 cans are a quagmire of Mountainhouse entrees,freeze dried meats, dehydrated vegetables; the other 8 cans will be staples, rice, beans, oats, flour, etc. I will give a complete breakdown and have it critiqued; I posted without first having all my ducks in a row.
Link Posted: 6/16/2015 10:34:03 PM EDT
[#5]
so completely inadequate
Link Posted: 6/16/2015 11:12:49 PM EDT
[#6]
Is there a traveling kitchen to prepare all of those ingredients?
It's good to have that stuff, no doubt.
But is it easily prepared? What all is in there?
Link Posted: 6/16/2015 11:37:31 PM EDT
[#7]
Need list of your planned foods. Rest looks gtg.
Link Posted: 6/16/2015 11:40:05 PM EDT
[#8]
Use a sharpie to write the contents on the actual can. Despite your best efforts, they will likely get wet in a buyout, and the labels will otherwise magically disappear.
Link Posted: 6/16/2015 11:45:02 PM EDT
[#9]
Looks gtg, just what to know what's in the ammo can now.

Link Posted: 6/16/2015 11:45:22 PM EDT
[#10]
WTH?

So you're trying desperately to get....somewhere.  And you're going to stop and fix dinner?

Foil?  Either properly wrap the whole thing in a tarp, get watertight containers, or just get stuff in packaging that doesn't matter if it gets a little wet.

If you're planning to have something while you're on the move it should be quick and easy to eat.  Like open a can, stick a spoon in it.  Or unwrap, jam it in your mouth.

And where is your water storage and filtration?  You're going to need a lot more of that than food.  Especially in Floreeda.

And what if you have to go on foot?
Link Posted: 6/17/2015 1:27:44 AM EDT
[#11]
4 totes x 90lbs ea = 360lbs

Most trucks are good for 1000-1500lbs including crew & crew space and sometimes fuel/fluids for drive train.  2 adults x 90 days shtf gear plus water for 90 days of dehydrated food is a lot. I know many want to see the daily caloric break down and thats a fair question.

I'd like to see the movement load plan basics because I'm seeing your truck maxed out for movement. Maxed out means more fuel needs, worse handling, slower acceleration & braking in general. So, whats carrying this load and how far you plan on going?

Not saying you're off base, just asking how you plan on moving it?
Link Posted: 6/17/2015 1:40:12 AM EDT
[#12]
What type and how many can openers are in those crates?
Link Posted: 6/17/2015 2:20:48 AM EDT
[#13]
Where is water to hydrate and prepare food?  I would got down to 8 cans per container and supplement water bottles with the remaining room.  What if you only have time to bug out with one ore two containers.  Need food and water.  

Applaude the prep though.
Link Posted: 6/17/2015 3:14:07 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
WTH?

So you're trying desperately to get....somewhere.  And you're going to stop and fix dinner?

Foil?  Either properly wrap the whole thing in a tarp, get watertight containers, or just get stuff in packaging that doesn't matter if it gets a little wet.

If you're planning to have something while you're on the move it should be quick and easy to eat.  Like open a can, stick a spoon in it.  Or unwrap, jam it in your mouth.

And where is your water storage and filtration?  You're going to need a lot more of that than food.  Especially in Floreeda.

And what if you have to go on foot?
View Quote

I have water covered:
http://www.ar15.com/forums/t_10_17/680942_How_important_is_a_Ultraviolet_filter_to_the_water_purification_process____Build_photos_.html
Link Posted: 6/17/2015 3:14:58 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
4 totes x 90lbs ea = 360lbs

Most trucks are good for 1000-1500lbs including crew & crew space and sometimes fuel/fluids for drive train.  2 adults x 90 days shtf gear plus water for 90 days of dehydrated food is a lot. I know many want to see the daily caloric break down and thats a fair question.

I'd like to see the movement load plan basics because I'm seeing your truck maxed out for movement. Maxed out means more fuel needs, worse handling, slower acceleration & braking in general. So, whats carrying this load and how far you plan on going?

Not saying you're off base, just asking how you plan on moving it?
View Quote

Travel trailer and 3/4 ton pickup truck.
Link Posted: 6/17/2015 3:20:31 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
What type and how many can openers are in those crates?
View Quote

Standard can openers work just fine, I have one in each box; plus a handful of p-38 GI can openers for good measure.
Link Posted: 6/17/2015 3:22:01 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
Looks gtg, just what to know what's in the ammo can now.

View Quote

My water...

http://www.ar15.com/forums/t_10_17/680942_How_important_is_a_Ultraviolet_filter_to_the_water_purification_process____Build_photos_.html
Link Posted: 6/17/2015 5:42:41 AM EDT
[#18]
Whilena very cool water set up, it gets back to the "stop in the middle of a bugout" concern above.  Your set up is great for at home with power oit or a bug out location, but shit for the travel aspect.  Need bottled water and fast food items to keep the movement less interrupted.
Link Posted: 6/17/2015 7:07:32 AM EDT
[#19]
You are prepping for an event that would require a bug out and 90 days of food for 2 people, so essentially TEOTWAWKI.  You may want to alter your plans for something more realistic so you are not stuck in a hotel for two weeks with one set of clothes and 3 months of food.

Large heavy totes = Look at me, I have something valuable, will move slowly, and one or both of us will be concentrating on looking at the box and were we are going, not our surroundings.  I would look at many smaller duffel bags, non-tactical ones or luggage.

You have many #10 cans of staples, so you will not be using the contents of the can all at once.  I would not trust the plastic lids to remain on in transport when the cans sit sideways.  So you will probably want supplemental storage.

More water transport jugs.  Every time you have to stop and setup your filter you will expose yourself to danger.

As mentioned you are missing a kitchen & fuel to cook the food.
Link Posted: 6/17/2015 5:09:05 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

so completely inadequate
View Quote

Well that certainly helps the OP.  
Link Posted: 6/18/2015 6:59:47 AM EDT
[#21]
Since the photos were not there yesterday, I can't comment except to say anything is better than nothing. Label inside the lid if there are numerous items not immediately obvious. Good luck on bugging out. Everyone near the coast should do so when things start going wrong.
Link Posted: 6/18/2015 9:02:11 AM EDT
[#22]
Maybe you have this covered elsewhere in your preps, but how about tossing in:

- daily multivitamins
- hard candy
- peanut butter
- honey

I will say, since I did get a chance to see the pictures yesterday, that your set up is more thought out and organized than anything that I have! Kudos to you!
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top