Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 72
Link Posted: 6/20/2015 6:01:19 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 3n1gm4] [#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By bcauz3y:

It's really not. You're still talking about running some 110, a junction box and an outlet, both of which you've got to anchor to something, then you're still running the power cable back into the house unless you put the outlets on the exterior. It's really not a simple gig.

CAT5 and conduit is a cake walk, IMO. Plus, you're not limiting yourself to the bandwith and environmentals of wireless.

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By 3n1gm4:

Yes, but I have power available from lights, fans, even outlets all around the exterior on the porches.  Seems that would be far easier to tap into than running CAT5 some 100 feet through ceiling / floor joists between the first and second floor or around the exterior.

It's really not. You're still talking about running some 110, a junction box and an outlet, both of which you've got to anchor to something, then you're still running the power cable back into the house unless you put the outlets on the exterior. It's really not a simple gig.

CAT5 and conduit is a cake walk, IMO. Plus, you're not limiting yourself to the bandwith and environmentals of wireless.

I still do not see running 2 or 3 50-150 ft runs of cat5 being easier than tapping power and running it 5-10 feet.  

I completely understand the pros / cons of wired and wireless, hence why I had it wired for cat5 when it was built. Just didn't plan on adding camera's.  

So I'm guessing there is decent wifi cameras, just nobody wants to talk about them.

Thanks
Link Posted: 6/20/2015 6:16:33 PM EDT
[#2]

I still do not see running 2 or 3 50-150 ft runs of cat5 being easier than tapping power and running it 5-10 feet.  

I completely understand the pros / cons of wired and wireless, hence why I had it wired for cat5 when it was built. Just didn't plan on adding camera's.  

So I'm guessing there is decent wifi cameras, just nobody wants to talk about them.

Thanks
View All Quotes

Yes, but I have power available from lights, fans, even outlets all around the exterior on the porches.  Seems that would be far easier to tap into than running CAT5 some 100 feet through ceiling / floor joists between the first and second floor or around the exterior.

Thanks

Never saw a decent one..
Bet it wont look like this though.

Not my car.
Link Posted: 6/20/2015 8:10:50 PM EDT
[Last Edit: EXPY37] [#3]

Thanks
View All Quotes

Thanks

Axis makes plenty...

Axis outdoor wireless 2 megapixel

Pepper your angus tho.

Used ones of various models can be found on ebay.

Whoops, I'm in error abt this one, don't think it's wireless...

I'd still run cat 5  

Link Posted: 6/20/2015 8:13:31 PM EDT
[#4]

Thanks
View All Quotes

Thanks

It's not that, we are trying to help you, from experience.

If you are dead set on them, go with quality, such as Axis, mentioned above.
Link Posted: 6/20/2015 8:16:21 PM EDT
[#5]
Axis product selector

Axis human interface, menuing and features are fantastic, even older models and used.

Link Posted: 6/20/2015 9:07:25 PM EDT
[#6]
Originally Posted By louisianarebel:
Never saw a decent one..
http://i76.photobucket.com/albums/j26/louisianarebel14/Driveway.20150524_160000_1_zpscm4pclig.jpg
Not my car.
View Quote

Now that is the quality I want. Details please.
Link Posted: 6/20/2015 9:40:46 PM EDT
[#7]
Originally Posted By SandHillsHillbilly:

View All Quotes
Originally Posted By SandHillsHillbilly:
Never saw a decent one..
http://i76.photobucket.com/albums/j26/louisianarebel14/Driveway.20150524_160000_1_zpscm4pclig.jpg
Not my car.

Its a acti d82
It sucks at night though. I like my hikvision better.
Hikvision 3 Megapixel 2.8-12mm bullet IR DS-2CD2632F-I IP66

Link Posted: 6/20/2015 10:35:06 PM EDT
[#8]
Thanks
Link Posted: 6/21/2015 12:15:04 PM EDT
[#9]
If I was going to do more than one WiFi camera I think I would build out a separate dedicated 802.11AC network dedicated to the cameras and run it back to a gigabit backbone.  A separate wireless network connected to the same backbone would be used for user devices (iPad,  phones,  laptops ect).  Any camera with even moderate resolution and frame rate will annihilate your WiFi bandwidth keep them segregated and managed on their own pipe.
Link Posted: 6/21/2015 12:25:34 PM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 6/21/2015 2:44:01 PM EDT
[#11]
Originally Posted By TheGrayMan:

Except That AC uses spread-spectrum and wider band channels to boost throughout.  If you already have a 5Ghz network, AC may tromp on it.  

It could coexist with a 2.4Ghz network.
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By LTCetme:
If I was going to do more than one WiFi camera I think I would build out a separate dedicated 802.11AC network dedicated to the cameras and run it back to a gigabit backbone.  A separate wireless network connected to the same backbone would be used for user devices (iPad,  phones,  laptops ect).  Any camera with even moderate resolution and frame rate will annihilate your WiFi bandwidth keep them segregated and managed on their own pipe.

Except That AC uses spread-spectrum and wider band channels to boost throughout.  If you already have a 5Ghz network, AC may tromp on it.  

It could coexist with a 2.4Ghz network.

OK,  that's a fair assessment.  I guess the meat of what I was trying to say though was that any significant number of wireless  cameras should be on a separate WLAN to ensure network performance isn't compromised.
Link Posted: 6/21/2015 5:04:16 PM EDT
[#12]
Link Posted: 6/21/2015 5:25:47 PM EDT
[Last Edit: EXPY37] [#13]
To help with interference issues, there are duplexers [sort of a combiner with two filters] having 3 ports, the combined port, usually connected to an antenna, and the other two ports, the respective port of each filter channel, connected to a wifi radio, the typical application.

They're often available inexpensively surplus for both the 2.4 and 5.8 ghz bands.

Easy to use.

They're compact and can be used as a basic 2 port filter to clean up the input to wifi radios that might otherwise be interfered with by other wifi users on adjacent channels.

Just connect in the antenna line...

Here's one opened up so you can see the cavities and how the signals are combined. [I used to mfgr similar filters for 2.4 ghz years ago when there was a lot more profit in it]

The combined port is on the bottom.

Example mfgr

Channel bandwidth of duplexers commonly found can be 40 MHz and a pretty sharp skirt on ONE side of the response. Other filters can be found with a more symmetrical response either side of center f.

I use them currently for distance 5.8 links using two radios and one antenna when I don't want to put up multiple antennas for one reason or another.

Also, when two separate channels originate from nearby radios. Mostly in a single filter mode and less frequently in the duplex mode.

They have excellent isolation of approx. 70 dB.

Duplexers can be used as simple filters by connecting to the combined port and one of the other two ports, bi-directional, so doesn't matter which way you hook up.

The internal filters are usually tuned to 2 widely spaced channels, say 5810 MHz and 5760 Mhz. They're tuned via the small screws seen protruding from the cover plate.

One advantage to using these is that low cost wifi radios have quite poor receiver preselection, i.e., the input filter to the radio RECEIVER section, is open to strong signals on adjacent channels, so the S/N ratio, ---and probably other stuff, can be degraded in the presence of strong interfering signals. Dramatically reducing thruput.

[Better radios may use ceramic filters in the ghz range as preselectors]

If you are running hi speed wifi channels located with two or more radios in close proximity, these might be useful.

Particularly in a neighborhood where there are a lot of strong signals.

The Ubiquity radios have a 'spectrum analyzer' survey feature that can help find sources of interference. There are other ways.

These can be culled from some mfgr's older 2.4 and 5.3/5.8 longer distance DUPLEX radios, at low cost, because few are aware of this.

My explanation may be poor, let me know.

ETA, the measured loss is low, typically 4 dB when measured as a filter. The silver plating seen in the pix is essential for low loss at these frequencies.

Link Posted: 6/21/2015 11:33:32 PM EDT
[#14]
Thanks for all the info.  I was just looking for options and y'all delivered with a bit of pushin and pullin lol.
Link Posted: 7/22/2015 1:37:21 PM EDT
[#15]
Link Posted: 7/22/2015 5:04:04 PM EDT
[#16]
He probably has a 24/7 manned guard shack at the entrance of the property too.
Link Posted: 7/23/2015 6:02:31 PM EDT
[Last Edit: us-kiwi] [#17]
What do you suggest as a long-term solution for weatherproofing the
Ethernet and power connections to outdoor cameras, especially when using
inline injectors/splitters?

I forsee long-term corrosion problems, especially with the acid rain we have in New England.

Using these

or these

ETA - Cameras seem to be nicely sealed, I'm just concerned about the RJ45 plugs and sockets.

What about filing them with silicone dielectric grease, as used on automobile lights and connectors?

Link Posted: 7/23/2015 6:29:05 PM EDT
[#18]
Link Posted: 7/23/2015 6:51:14 PM EDT
[#19]

Other than placing that connector up behind the soffit, I don't do anything more.  

I've never seen them corrode to the point of being unserviceable.
View All Quotes

Originally Posted By us-kiwi:

What do you suggest as a long-term solution for weatherproofing the Ethernet and power connections to outdoor cameras, especially when using inline injectors/splitters?

I forsee long-term corrosion problems, especially with the acid rain we have in New England.

Using these

http://find-a-poe.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/06/WS-POE-IO-th-300x169.jpg

or these

http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/61VI22r5rZL._SL1000_.jpg

ETA - Cameras seem to be nicely sealed, I'm just concerned about the RJ45 plugs and sockets.

What about filing them with silicone dielectric grease, as used on automobile lights and connectors?

http://shop.advanceautoparts.com/wcsstore/CVWEB/staticproductimage//N3451/large/12027861_ptx_22058_pri_larg.jpg

Other than placing that connector up behind the soffit, I don't do anything more.  

I've never seen them corrode to the point of being unserviceable.

I have a application going with cameras mounted outdoors on a pole, (or similar).

Absolutely no protection from weather, so will make this a test.

Will report back with what I find.

Many thanks for this thread, you have taught me an incredible amount on this topic.

When I get this installation finished, I'll post pics.

Link Posted: 7/23/2015 8:06:59 PM EDT
[#20]
Link Posted: 7/23/2015 11:02:56 PM EDT
[#21]

Excellent.

And no need to thank me... I am but an amateur, sharing my own learning process.
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By us-kiwi:

I have a application going with cameras mounted outdoors on a pole, (or similar).
Absolutely no protection from weather, so will make this a test.

Will report back with what I find.

Many thanks for this thread, you have taught me an incredible amount on this topic.

When I get this installation finished, I'll post pics.

Excellent.

And no need to thank me... I am but an amateur, sharing my own learning process.

We are all grateful for the help and advice.  I'd appreciate if you have a minute to give me a little more guidance over here.
Link Posted: 7/24/2015 7:27:07 PM EDT
[#22]
Link Posted: 7/24/2015 7:50:29 PM EDT
[#23]
while I have you on the line I am looking for a outdoor NV dome camera that track and plays well with BI
Link Posted: 7/24/2015 8:08:17 PM EDT
[#24]
What kind of bandwidth change occurs with lots of movement occurring (tree leaves,  traffic etc)?
Link Posted: 7/24/2015 9:35:24 PM EDT
[#25]
Link Posted: 7/24/2015 9:36:20 PM EDT
[#26]
Link Posted: 7/24/2015 10:08:19 PM EDT
[#27]

You want an auto-tracking PTZ dome?  

I'm not sure I understand your question...  and I'm not a BI expert... never used it.
View All Quotes

Originally Posted By coldair:

while I have you on the line I am looking for a outdoor NV dome camera that track and plays well with BI

You want an auto-tracking PTZ dome?  

I'm not sure I understand your question...  and I'm not a BI expert... never used it.
dome and or autotracking PZT dome hd 1080

Link Posted: 7/24/2015 10:15:41 PM EDT
[#28]
Link Posted: 7/24/2015 11:07:49 PM EDT
[#29]
I wanted something that could follow movement once it passes  my gate camera

and before the house camera picks it up

the gate camera is a everfocus EN3300 3 megapixel camera that I am a little disappointed in considering what it cost.

I was thinking about putting one dome camera in its place and one up at the house and using the box cameras on the garage or watching the stairs.
Link Posted: 7/25/2015 6:10:39 AM EDT
[#30]
Link Posted: 7/25/2015 9:50:13 AM EDT
[#31]
I've recently acquired a Hikvision NVR DS-7108 for a neighbor, and took the liberty of unboxing it and setting it up.

Specs can be read here (PDF)

View Quote

So if I'm understanding the specs correctly, utilizing 8 cameras, this nvr only has the capability to playback and record at 4CIF?
Link Posted: 7/25/2015 12:01:50 PM EDT
[#32]
Link Posted: 7/25/2015 12:47:25 PM EDT
[#33]

That's now how I read them... But I left it recording for a few days.  Will see how much hard drive it has used, and the playback resolution after the weekend.
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By APG12:
I've recently acquired a Hikvision NVR DS-7108 for a neighbor, and took the liberty of unboxing it and setting it up.

Specs can be read here (PDF)

So if I'm understanding the specs correctly, utilizing 8 cameras, this nvr only has the capability to playback and record at 4CIF?

That's now how I read them... But I left it recording for a few days.  Will see how much hard drive it has used, and the playback resolution after the weekend.

Looking forward to seeing the results.
Link Posted: 7/27/2015 12:40:02 AM EDT
[#34]
That system is tempting but I want to access remotely with an iPhone 6.  Reviews in the AppStore and cctvforums indicate it may not work since OS 3.
Link Posted: 7/27/2015 4:10:09 AM EDT
[#35]
Link Posted: 7/27/2015 10:35:14 AM EDT
[#36]
thread

Lots of bad reviews at the app store.  The system looks great otherwise.
Link Posted: 7/27/2015 9:44:59 PM EDT
[#37]
Link Posted: 7/27/2015 11:31:08 PM EDT
[#38]

I just tested some video playback, and took a "snapshot" capture from the remote web client.  It's definitely not 4CIF.  

It's 1920x1080
View All Quotes

I just tested some video playback, and took a "snapshot" capture from the remote web client.  It's definitely not 4CIF.  

It's 1920x1080
Have you reviewed any of the recorded video yet?

Link Posted: 7/27/2015 11:41:07 PM EDT
[#39]

It's 1920x1080
View All Quotes

It's 1920x1080

Thats good to hear!  I may have to give this one a shot.
Link Posted: 7/28/2015 10:08:36 AM EDT
[#40]
Link Posted: 7/28/2015 10:12:26 AM EDT
[#41]
I've pretty much given up on my solar/wirelessbridge/IPcam setup for my gate and i'm going to see how far cat6 will reliably run a little hikvision 3mp cam.
Link Posted: 7/28/2015 10:39:39 AM EDT
[Last Edit: TheGrayMan] [#42]
Link Posted: 7/28/2015 10:43:04 AM EDT
[#43]
I am leaning towards a few Trendnet TV-IP311PI recording to a Synology NAS running their surveillance package. From some of the things that I have read, it seems they are more or less Hikivision's with a different housing/label. Anyone have experience with the cameras and/or the Synology software?
Link Posted: 7/28/2015 1:51:56 PM EDT
[#44]

I've pretty much given up on my solar/wirelessbridge/IPcam setup for my gate and i'm going to see how far cat6 will reliably run a little hikvision 3mp cam.
View Quote
I am 280 feet to my 3 MP everfocus camera

Link Posted: 7/28/2015 3:15:34 PM EDT
[#45]

what happened to it?  

ETA:  What's not working about it?  I'm happy to help you out... shoot me a PM
View All Quotes

what happened to it?  

Yes, curious also.

It seems you should be able to make it work.

Link Posted: 7/28/2015 4:18:38 PM EDT
[#46]

what happened to it?  

View All Quotes

what happened to it?  

I never set it up or bought the stuff yet.
Don't have enough sun for solar unless I put panels facing the road.
I figure I'll see how far I can go with cat6 and if it doesn't work i'm only out some wire instead of 500+$ for solar panels and batteries to work in the shady area.
Link Posted: 7/28/2015 4:25:24 PM EDT
[#47]
Link Posted: 7/28/2015 4:29:32 PM EDT
[#48]

You'd be better off running power out there, and using the same wireless (900mhz) ubiquiti setup.  If you're going to trench a run of wire (max run of ethernet is 100 yards), and it's too long for network cable, just run power out there, and run your camera/wifi off the power.
View All Quotes

what happened to it?  

I figure I'll see how far I can go with cat6 and if it doesn't work i'm only out some wire instead of 500+$ for solar panels and batteries to work in the shady area.

You'd be better off running power out there, and using the same wireless (900mhz) ubiquiti setup.  If you're going to trench a run of wire (max run of ethernet is 100 yards), and it's too long for network cable, just run power out there, and run your camera/wifi off the power.

But I don't play with electricity.
Already bought the cable. Ill do it to see how far it works just to say I did it. If it doesn't work I won't bury it.
If Its close enough to see the gate pretty good then it will stay, if not ill look at running power or trying to make solar work.
Link Posted: 7/28/2015 6:57:07 PM EDT
[Last Edit: EXPY37] [#49]

Already bought the cable. Ill do it to see how far it works just to say I did it. If it doesn't work I won't bury it.
If Its close enough to see the gate pretty good then it will stay, if not ill look at running power or trying to make solar work.
View All Quotes

what happened to it?  

Why not get some low voltage landscape lighting cable -it's cheap... Put it in PEX tubing and bury it a couple inches.

Feed 24 vdc [wall wart $10] to a solar controller [$15 ebay] and small cheap 12 vdc AGM battery at the end of the run for a stabilized power source resistant to lightning strikes [a potential big issue].

Then as G-M says, a $60 Ubiquity on each end in bridge mode, or one of the other 'multiple bridging' modes for additional access point locations, and you're done.

A little stub of wire from the N connector on each Ubiquity Bullet will serve as an antenna on both ends.

If you decide to skip the lightning damage issue altogether, bury fiber and use solar, see my 'Bear Havoc Topic' for details.

It might be time for you to learn a little bit abt 'lectricy -it ain't hard, with the folks here to guide you.    

Not a lot of 'turf' issues in THIS topic to muddy the waters....

Link Posted: 7/28/2015 8:31:15 PM EDT
[#50]
Originally Posted By EXPY37:

Why not get some low voltage landscape lighting cable -it's cheap... Put it in PEX tubing and bury it a couple inches.

Feed 24 vdc [wall wart $10] to a solar controller [$15 ebay] and small cheap 12 vdc AGM battery at the end of the run for a stabilized power source resistant to lightning strikes [a potential big issue].

Then as G-M says, a $60 Ubiquity on each end in bridge mode, or one of the other 'multiple bridging' modes for additional access point locations, and you're done.

A little stub of wire from the N connector on each Ubiquity Bullet will serve as an antenna on both ends.

If you decide to skip the lightning damage issue altogether, bury fiber and use solar, see my 'Bear Havoc Topic' for details.

It might be time for you to learn a little bit abt 'lectricy -it ain't hard, with the folks here to guide you.    

Not a lot of 'turf' issues in THIS topic to muddy the waters....

View Quote

Thats thinking out of the box.
Page / 72
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top