Originally Posted By TxLewis:
Originally Posted By TheRedGoat:
Placeholder tag.

TRG

Placeholder Quote

TXL

Placeholder Overquote.

Placeholder ladder quote.

Placeholder ladder overquote with clueless Red 5 Leader tag along.
Link Posted: 9/21/2011 2:30:06 PM EDT
[#10]
C'mon guys, this is not GD.

And this could be a very helpful thread, as is usually the case with the OP's info.

Just hit the 'subscribe' button. Jesssh.
Link Posted: 9/21/2011 2:30:25 PM EDT
[#11]
Link Posted: 9/21/2011 2:34:07 PM EDT
[#12]
Originally Posted By us-kiwi:
C'mon guys, this is not GD.

And this could be a very helpful thread, as is usually the case with the OP's info.

Just hit the 'subscribe' button. Jesssh.

QFT placeholder.

TRG
Link Posted: 9/21/2011 4:37:08 PM EDT
[#13]
Originally Posted By TheGrayMan:
Yikes... I leave you kids alone for five minutes and look at this place!

Placeholder reminder for OP he hasn't used his placeholder.
Link Posted: 9/21/2011 4:57:23 PM EDT
[#14]
Link Posted: 9/21/2011 5:17:54 PM EDT
[#15]
Placeholder, waiting on the placeholder.
Link Posted: 9/21/2011 6:18:51 PM EDT
[#16]
Link Posted: 9/21/2011 6:32:52 PM EDT
[#17]
completely wireless? or will we still need power cables?
Link Posted: 9/21/2011 7:29:46 PM EDT
[#18]
Link Posted: 9/21/2011 9:04:59 PM EDT
[#19]
I'll get to that in the latter section of this thread.

Placeholder to respond to that part.

Link Posted: 9/21/2011 9:09:16 PM EDT
[Last Edit: TheGrayMan] [#20]
Placeholder post.

Link Posted: 9/21/2011 9:53:17 PM EDT
[Last Edit: TheGrayMan] [#21]
Link Posted: 9/21/2011 10:26:14 PM EDT
[#22]
Awesome write up so far!!!   I like charts and graphs
Link Posted: 9/21/2011 10:53:52 PM EDT
[Last Edit: TheGrayMan] [#23]
Link Posted: 9/22/2011 1:25:26 AM EDT
[#24]
Link Posted: 9/22/2011 2:55:54 AM EDT
[Last Edit: TheGrayMan] [#25]
Link Posted: 9/22/2011 3:41:01 AM EDT
[Last Edit: TheGrayMan] [#26]
Placeholder as a reminder to read all of this in the sober morning.

Link Posted: 9/22/2011 3:48:17 AM EDT
[#27]
Link Posted: 9/22/2011 11:34:13 AM EDT
[#28]
Originally Posted By 1GUNRUNNER:
Placeholder as a reminder to read all of this in the sober morning.

Sometimes wifi makes more sense when you're drunk.

Placeholder to ask for your phone number so I can drunk dial you when I am installing this later.

TRG
Link Posted: 9/22/2011 12:23:42 PM EDT
[#29]
So to dovetail on my earlier mention of the power consumption of this device, I decided to run it off a power source that would enable me to measure its actual consumption.  I have a tiny little pot-adjustable power supply that displays both voltage and amperage, and I wondered if this device might run off of a 6V battery.

As it turns out, it should work just fine.... video links below:

The power consumption of the device is roughly 250mA at 6VDC, as shown below:

<a href="http://s251.photobucket.com/albums/gg286/TGrayman/Axis%20Wireless/?action=view¤t=Axiswirelesslightoff.mp4" target="_blank">http://i251.photobucket.com/albums/gg286/TGrayman/Axis%20Wireless/th_Axiswirelesslightoff.jpg</a>

Great info!  But all videos are fail, Can't get my 10 internets for music recongnition.  

When the light is turned on remotely, power consumption roughly doubles to about 550mA

<a href="http://s251.photobucket.com/albums/gg286/TGrayman/Axis%20Wireless/?action=view¤t=Axislightvoltageon.mp4" target="_blank">http://i251.photobucket.com/albums/gg286/TGrayman/Axis%20Wireless/th_Axislightvoltageon.jpg</a>

This brings up the possibility of running this camera remotely from a battery.  Just one of these should run this camera (without the light) for an entire 24-hour period, while only draining the battery halfway.

http://i251.photobucket.com/albums/gg286/TGrayman/Axis%20Wireless/gruber6V.gif

Great Info!  But all videos are fail.  Can't get my 10 internets for music recognitoin.  :(
Link Posted: 9/22/2011 1:35:08 PM EDT
[#30]
Link Posted: 9/22/2011 2:10:53 PM EDT
[#31]
Wifi cameras:

Whenever the subject of security cameras comes up for discussion, one poster or another will inevitably ask about wireless security cameras.  From laptops, phones, tablets, and wireless desktops, wireless devices have become ubiquitous in our homes, offices, and playspaces.  It seems a reasonable questions to ask "Hey... if I can have a wireless LAN in my house, couldn't I also have a bunch of those nifty IP cameras on that same wireless LAN, and save myself the time/expense/hassle of running cable??"

The answer is "Yes... but..." with a number of caveats, some of which will turn out to be quite important.

I'm not trying to make any of you into wireless network engineers, but some understanding of the basic technology is required to understand the fundamental limitations of Wifi networking.  With that in mind, let's begin with a discussion of the types of Wifi, so we can understand which ones are best for security purposes.  

Types:

Wireless networking exists in two bands on the EM Spectrum:  2.4 GHz, and 5 GHz.  You will also find several different protocols out there ("wireless a/b/g/n," etc)  They each have advantages and disadvantages, depending on your application.  Most wifi cameras are going to be in the 2.4 GHz band.  

That may surprise some people.  The 2.4 GHz band is quite crowded these days, and has lots of interference.  Your cordless phone, existing wifi devices, Bluetooth, the microwave oven in your kitchen... all of these devices emit RF energy in the 2.4 GHz band.  Your neighbor might even have an existing wireless LAN in his house, producing yet more interference.  Despite this interference, most wifi cameras are going to be in this band for one overriding reason:  RANGE.  2.4 GHz penetrates walls and conventional construction far better than the alternative devices in the 5 GHz band.  While wifi devices can also be found on the 5 GHz portion of the band, which is much less crowded, has more channels, and less competition for bandspace, their signals are rapidly attenuated by wood, sheetrock, and other barriers in your home.  

So while 5 GHz might be decent for long-haul, point-to-point connections (from mountain-top to mountain-top, for instance) 2.4 GHz is going to be the choice for LAN cameras.

Now let's talk about channel spacing.  

Refer first to the following diagram, which should help illustrate the point:

http://i251.photobucket.com/albums/gg286/TGrayman/Axis%20Wireless/kanalen.jpg

Depending on the country, there are 14 channels in the 2.4 GHz band (we only use 1-11 in the United States).  If you look at the frequencies in the above table, you'll note that there is roughly a 22MHz channel spacing... but that doesn't really matter, because most wifi devices use a sort of "spread-spectrum" strategy to increase bandwidth and throughput.  This means a device on channel 6 will bleed over into adjacent channels.  This means that there are NOT "eleven" channels... or at least, there aren't if you want to avoid interference.  For practical purposes, you should consider only three actual "channels" for wifi:  Channels 1, 6, and 11:

See below:

http://i251.photobucket.com/albums/gg286/TGrayman/Axis%20Wireless/140685-spectrumbandoverlap_original.jpg

Here is an alternative diagram, that also shows Wireless-N (taken from Wikipedia)

http://i251.photobucket.com/albums/gg286/TGrayman/Axis%20Wireless/660px-NonOverlappingChannels24GHzWLAN-ensvg.png

This isn't just theoretical nonsense.  If your neighbor is running a busy wireless LAN on channel 1, and you decide to put all your cameras on channel 2 or 3, you may run into trouble.  You're either going to jack up his network (leading to decreased throughput, drop-outs, etc), or he's going to jack up yours.  In reality, you're both going to end up with sub-optimal network performance, as your devices and access points busily interfere with one another.

This is why it's not a bad idea to do a wireless site survey of your home or business before considering wireless cameras.  If your local wifi spectrum is already crowded with wireless traffic, you're probably not going to like the results... best to find out before you invest a bunch of money in wireless cameras, only to be forced to Ebay them later after they don't work.

A wireless site survey doesn't have to be expensive... got a Droid or iphone?  There's a great (free) app called "wifi analyzer" that will sniff you local networks for you.

It gives you a graph that looks something like this (and if your local wifi environment looks like that, I'd probably avoid wireless cameras!):

http://i251.photobucket.com/albums/gg286/TGrayman/Axis%20Wireless/wifi_analyzer_graph.png

I did a local site survey from my backyard, using Ubiquiti's Airview tool (very inexpensive at roughly 40 bucks, and very informative):

http://i251.photobucket.com/albums/gg286/TGrayman/Axis%20Wireless/spectrum.jpg

The channel numbers are visible across the very bottom of the lower graph.  My neighbor runs a wireless LAN on channel 1, and I run mine on channel 8.  Look at the top bar-graph, and note the peaks at those channel centers, and the lower bars on either side.  That's the spread-spectrum I'm talking about.  It's also visible in the middle scatter-plot, as clusters of dots around the channel centers.  This is why you need to know what other people are running in your local area... because if I'd put my wireless LAN on channel 1, we'd both suffer degraded performance as a result of that.

Note:  my wifi is wireless "G."  Wireless "N" takes spread-spectrum to even another level, and takes up roughly half to 3/4 of the entire band.    The increased bandwidth and throughput that wireless "N" offers comes at a price... and that price is stomping on every other wireless network within range.  It's perfectly acceptable to do that if you live out in the boonies... but if you live in an apartment complex with a bunch of wifi-loving techie geeks, you're simply being a bad neighbor.

To be continued:

Sorry GreyMan, no wifi analyzer for an iphone, it is android only from my search

Link Posted: 9/22/2011 2:15:08 PM EDT
[Last Edit: TheGrayMan] [#32]
Link Posted: 9/22/2011 2:34:59 PM EDT
[#33]
Originally Posted By FireStalker:

Great Info!  But all videos are fail.  Can't get my 10 internets for music recognitoin.  :(

The videos aren't working?  They're working for me... even on my Droid.

Did you try clicking on the pictures to start the videos?  They're hosted on my Photobucket account.

Yep, clicked on photo and got:

"The action that you were trying to perform has failed"  with a photobucket icon
Link Posted: 9/22/2011 2:43:43 PM EDT
[Last Edit: TheGrayMan] [#34]
Link Posted: 9/22/2011 2:49:01 PM EDT
[Last Edit: TheGrayMan] [#35]

Not to derail this, but what tool is this?

Link Posted: 9/22/2011 2:53:14 PM EDT
[#36]
Link Posted: 9/22/2011 3:01:26 PM EDT
[#37]
Originally Posted By DJinGA:

Wifi analyzer... for Android platforms.

Sorry about that - read your second post BEFORE your first one. !?@&#% Apple.
Link Posted: 9/22/2011 3:04:41 PM EDT
[#38]
Link Posted: 9/22/2011 4:12:39 PM EDT
[#39]
Originally Posted By walt_l:
Sorry GreyMan, for Overquoting.

FIFY
Link Posted: 9/22/2011 4:16:39 PM EDT
[#40]

Wifi analyzer... for Android platforms.

Sorry about that - read your second post BEFORE your first one. !?@&#% Apple.

You can still get it, just not on the app-store.  Check the links I posted.

I dont see any way to install it / get it.
Link Posted: 9/22/2011 4:25:04 PM EDT
[Last Edit: TheGrayMan] [#41]
Link Posted: 9/22/2011 11:00:21 PM EDT
[#42]

The videos aren't working?  They're working for me... even on my Droid.

Did you try clicking on the pictures to start the videos?  They're hosted on my Photobucket account.

Yep, clicked on photo and got:

"The action that you were trying to perform has failed"  with a photobucket icon

Hmm... stand by.

ETA:  no problem here, even on my wife's Mac.  Anybody else having trouble getting those to play?

IDK, Videos don't come up for me.  Just a screen from PhotoBucket.
Link Posted: 9/23/2011 2:05:34 AM EDT
[Last Edit: TheGrayMan] [#43]
Link Posted: 9/23/2011 3:33:14 PM EDT
[#44]
Link Posted: 9/23/2011 3:52:20 PM EDT
[Last Edit: TheGrayMan] [#45]
TheGrayMan,  have you ever seen this camera?  AVN80X

It supposedly pushes an image instantly to your smart phone when there is motion detected, not using email.  Looks like a decent camera for "inside" monitoring, but I have zero experience with it.

Link Posted: 9/23/2011 4:26:26 PM EDT
[#46]
Link Posted: 9/23/2011 7:43:23 PM EDT
[#47]
Link Posted: 9/23/2011 8:38:21 PM EDT
[#48]
Originally Posted By sgthoskins:
TheGrayMan,  have you ever seen this camera?  AVN80X

It supposedly pushes an image instantly to your smart phone when there is motion detected, not using email.  Looks like a decent camera for "inside" monitoring, but I have zero experience with it.

Never seen that one... the price is right though...

I wonder about the quality.

I'm probably going to order one for internal use.   I'll post results.
Link Posted: 9/23/2011 9:04:29 PM EDT
[#49]
Link Posted: 9/30/2011 4:49:19 PM EDT
[#50]
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top