User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 1/4/2014 7:04:39 PM EDT
[Last Edit: HarfordFiles]
Link Posted: 1/4/2014 7:09:36 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 1/4/2014 7:24:27 PM EDT
[#2]
Wish I had to space and time to own another one.  Best dog I ever walked behind.
Link Posted: 1/4/2014 7:34:34 PM EDT
[Last Edit: eracer] [#3]
Any dog that can take down a badger single-handed is pretty badass.
That dog looks kind of like my brother's labradoodle.  Except that his dog is dumb as a box of spaghetti.
This is the smart dog.

This looks just like my brother's labradoodle.  (The dumb one.)

Link Posted: 1/4/2014 7:50:05 PM EDT
[#4]
I shot a few pheasants behind two wire hair giffons last weekend, I think they are the same dog?
Link Posted: 1/4/2014 9:20:10 PM EDT
[Last Edit: HarfordFiles] [#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By buhog7979:
I shot a few pheasants behind two wire hair giffons last weekend, I think they are the same dog?
View Quote

Nope.
Other than a wire coat, they are vastly different, though the Griffon was used as foundation stock in the breed about 100 years ago, along with 3-4 other breeds.

The Drahthaar has been strictly engineered and seriously culled to be what it is, a 4 legged heat seeking missile.

Overall, they are much harder on game, they dont bark, they bite and close. They have better noses, more range and better coats than Griffs, and on average are more muscular, leggier and larger.

Someone once asked a NAVHDA judge the difference between the 2 breeds. He said ' One hunts'
I think thats a but harsh though. The Griff is a fine gentlemans hunting dog when well bred.
The WPG owners are doing a decent job with their breed today and made good strides, and I wish them luck.

Link Posted: 1/4/2014 10:01:44 PM EDT
[#6]
Originally Posted By HarfordFiles:

Nope.
Other than a wire coat, they are vastly different, though the Griffon was used as foundation stock in the breed about 100 years ago, along with 3-4 other breeds.

The Drahthaar has been strictly engineered and seriously culled to be what it is, a 4 legged heat seeking missile.

Overall, they are much harder on game, they dont bark, they bite and close. They have better noses, more range and better coats than Griffs, and on average are more muscular, leggier and larger.

Someone once asked a NAVHDA judge the difference between the 2 breeds. He said ' One hunts'
I think thats a but harsh though. The Griff is a fine gentlemans hunting dog when well bred.
The WPG owners are doing a decent job with their breed today and made good strides, and I wish them luck.

Very nice dogs either way, I had never heard of griffons before that day, I am far from a dog expert, but I do enjoy seeing them do their thing.

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By HarfordFiles:
Originally Posted By buhog7979:

Nope.

Very nice dogs either way, I had never heard of griffons before that day, I am far from a dog expert, but I do enjoy seeing them do their thing.

Link Posted: 1/4/2014 10:08:31 PM EDT
[#7]
I want a jagd terrier

Link Posted: 1/5/2014 4:10:30 PM EDT
[#8]
Originally Posted By doc_Zox:
I want a jagd terrier

http://www.googlepixel.com/images/jadgterrier.jpg

View Quote

This is probably the most versatile breed.  These suckers are crazy.

(note: I have hunted behind a Drahthaar shipped in from Germany and professionally trained  and it was a hunting fool. The guy paid ~$10,000 all said and done.  Did better than my vizsla in the cold marsh. That dog would hunt anything the guy put it on.  It was impressive, but on birds (i.e. upland game) it wasn't as good as the guys uncles $500.00 English pointer.  YMMV and sample size of one and all that good crap.)
Link Posted: 2/14/2014 6:35:00 PM EDT
[#9]
These dogs have heart,serious heart. I watched my buddies female, Camo, front off a young (. 4 y/o ,500 lb)Brown Bear a few years ago.the bear was not happy and Camo wasn't moving. It was a beautiful thing to watch! She was a hunter.
Link Posted: 2/14/2014 6:39:32 PM EDT
[#10]
That looks like an awesome dog.  I've hunted a lot of pheasants behind labs and Springers, and I love watching them work.

Some of my favorite bird hunting is ducks, again because I get almost as much fun out of watching the labs as I do shooting the ducks.
Link Posted: 2/15/2014 4:06:10 PM EDT
[#11]
I've got a 2yo German Wirehair Pointer which is pretty close to the DD, same dog but "Americanized". Maddie is fantastic as a bird dog and family pet.  She's as good of an upland game dog as I've ever hunted behind.  Great nose, points and retrieves like a champ.  She even honors other dogs points without any training for it.  Didn't get her out on waterfowl last year, next year we will.  She water retrieves like a boss so she ought to do just fine.  No idea how versatile she really is, no interest in anything other than birds.

She is a ways off the breed standard.  She's not as wirey as she could be and she's black instead of liver.  If I didn't know better, and somebody told me she was a cross between a GWP and a GSP, I'd believe it.
Link Posted: 2/15/2014 8:30:47 PM EDT
[#12]
Awesome dogs.  Only two issue are fur drive and lack of finesse on spooky birds like hard hunted grouse and wood cock.  The fur drive is subjective, if you just want a bird dog it is a pain, if not you are good to go. Awesome cover diggers, tons of drive, excellent stamina.  Don't think I will ever own one but sure do enjoy watching them work.
Link Posted: 2/19/2014 3:42:18 PM EDT
[#13]
My DD is currently 2 years old and I don't see a reason to change my breed after working with her the last 2 years. I hunt as often as I can for as much as I can. This year I had more than a few days where I chased ducks in the am, pheasant mid-day, and deer hunted the afternoon with her in the truck in case I needed a blood track.

Persistence, determination, and toughness. Good house dogs too, loves kids. I had her at pheasant fest this weekend with kids pawing all over her, at one point she fell asleep on her back on the table.
Link Posted: 2/23/2014 1:32:26 PM EDT
[#14]
Deuce, did you take your dog through the testing regimen (VJP, etc.)?
Link Posted: 2/23/2014 10:00:50 PM EDT
[#15]
Yep, ran VJP and HZP. Also ran NAVHDA NA. Training to run VGP and UT this fall.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top