Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 7/1/2014 5:39:53 PM EDT
Found this on amazon, Bear Bell w/ silencer

Read some reviews and it seems to work, I just had never heard of it.
Link Posted: 7/1/2014 5:50:57 PM EDT
[#1]
Yes.  I've seen them on the Pacific Crest Trail and in Yellowstone and the Canadian Rockies.
Link Posted: 7/1/2014 5:57:52 PM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:

Found this on amazon, Bear Bell w/ Silencer.

View Quote
your link broke. If its what I think it is. We use them on mountain bikes so other bikers can hear us coming to avoid a head on in some tight blind corners. works well.

ETA THIS one.

Link Posted: 7/1/2014 5:59:00 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
Found this on amazon, Bear Bell w/ Silencer.

View Quote

You mean "dinner" bells?
Link Posted: 7/1/2014 6:00:05 PM EDT
[#4]
Yep, put one on my exwife on the Alaska honeymoon. Sadly, did not work as intended.
Link Posted: 7/1/2014 6:01:27 PM EDT
[#5]
yeah, the joke goes:  you can tell bear scat by the bells and pepper spray scent.....  something like that...  :)
Link Posted: 7/1/2014 6:04:14 PM EDT
[#6]
Yes.  However, there is a joke along the lines of, "How do you tell the difference between black bear poop and grizzly bear poop?  Black bear poop is smaller and contains lots of berry seeds and squirrel fur. Grizzly bear poop has little bells in it."
Link Posted: 7/1/2014 6:07:11 PM EDT
[#7]
Forest Service has issued a BEAR WARNING in the national forests
for this summer. They're urging everyone to protect themselves by
wearing bells and carrying pepper spray.
Campers should be alert for signs of fresh bear activity, and they
should be able to tell the difference between Black Bear dung and
Grizzy Bear dung.
Black Bear dung is rather small and round. Sometimes you can see
fruit seeds and/or squirrel fur in it.
Grizzly Bear dung has bells in it, and smells like pepper spray.
Link Posted: 7/4/2014 10:02:47 PM EDT
[#8]
You hear them a lot at Glacier National Park.  Those bears are BIG!
Link Posted: 7/7/2014 4:18:53 PM EDT
[#9]
Fixed my link, but yeah same thing.
Link Posted: 7/11/2014 10:59:17 PM EDT
[#10]
I would actually suggest looking for authorities from the right and left.  The correct answer is often clouded by our passion for firearms and in contrast by the biologists fear of weapons.  I don't think you'll get a good answer by visiting this site alone and you may be better off looking to the field and stream crowd.

The reading below (congruent with my previous reading when I had the same question) leads me to believe the notion that a bell (or a loud mouth) works a majority of the time.  Read as much as you can and make your own conclusion on how much weight you want to carry for your bear problem.  I am not an authority on bears.

http://safety.eas.ualberta.ca/?p=20#ReactiontoHumanEncounters
Link Posted: 7/12/2014 5:34:51 AM EDT
[#11]
Im no expert on bears, but I've done some backpacking in Griz country and bear bells are a real thing.  I saw more than a few people using them.  

As to how well they work, I cannot speak to that but I think in general bears want to avoid you as much as you want to avoid them, so anything that can be used to alert them to your presence isn't entirely stupid.

Last couple of trips I did out west I did some research and made it a point to NOT backpack in areas that had known griz populations.  One less thing to worry about.
Link Posted: 7/12/2014 6:22:07 AM EDT
[#12]

Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

Forest Service has issued a BEAR WARNING in the national forests

for this summer. They're urging everyone to protect themselves by

wearing bells and carrying pepper spray.

Campers should be alert for signs of fresh bear activity, and they

should be able to tell the difference between Black Bear dung and

Grizzy Bear dung.

Black Bear dung is rather small and round. Sometimes you can see

fruit seeds and/or squirrel fur in it.

Grizzly Bear dung has bells in it, and smells like pepper spray.
View Quote

TL;DR

Link Posted: 7/23/2014 5:20:19 PM EDT
[#13]
When I think of bear bells I think of the little pop up timers in a turkey and I can hear mom screaming dinners ready in the back of my head.  On a side note I had never actually seen bear spray/pepper spray but I ran into it at the local hardware store up near our hunting property, I asked the owner if he sold a lot of it and he said only to the campers but that to be fair he always warns them that they should throw some salt packets in there pocket with it so the bear can have some salt to go with his pepper.  
Link Posted: 7/27/2014 12:20:58 PM EDT
[#14]
I'll be wearing one this Wednesday.

I'll also be carrying a 9oz can of Bear Spray......and a Glock 22 on my thigh with lead/copper "bear repellent"

Link Posted: 7/27/2014 1:44:11 PM EDT
[#15]
Link Posted: 8/3/2014 12:32:52 PM EDT
[#16]
The average bear does not want to see you, the bells might work, the worst fear is getting between a bear of any kind and her cub(s). The bear will likely rip your fucking head off just to introduce itself.

FWIW, I have spent a lot of time in bear country. WA, OR, MT.
Link Posted: 9/7/2014 9:38:18 PM EDT
[#17]
We use bear bells on our dogs while training or at searches.  We don't have many bears in the area, but some of the places we get into do have bears.  They serve 2 purposes for us - keep bears from our working dogs and also it's a great locator for us to hear the dogs when they are out of sight.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top