Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
POTA - Parks On The Air (Page 6 of 56)
Page / 56
Link Posted: 7/31/2021 3:50:22 PM EDT
[#1]
I may go do a late shift in a bit. Need to work on my kilo.
Link Posted: 7/31/2021 6:56:06 PM EDT
[#2]
K-0045 wasn’t horrible today. I found a better place to set up that wasn’t so close to the mountain to the SE. Got a 25 QSO activation. Gonna eat and then go to the beach.
Link Posted: 7/31/2021 9:03:47 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By tyrex13:
K-0045 wasn’t horrible today. I found a better place to set up that wasn’t so close to the mountain to the SE. Got a 25 QSO activation. Gonna eat and then go to the beach. https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/83116/64AF5E68-E454-4167-B378-F35BF4DABA1A-2035091.jpghttps://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/83116/0125DAA8-11A0-49E1-AF48-F28B6EBA5E03-2035092.jpghttps://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/83116/D542AAC6-EEA7-44A0-BDBC-070B4B8CE1E4-2035094.jpg
View Quote

That is gorgeous.  My scenery isn’t as spectacular here but I did activate a nearby state park with a couple of waterfalls and a bison herd.  Had a close encounter with a fawn as well.  Did a five mile hike and brought the KX2 with.  Found an open area to set up.  I had humped my new 16oz throw line and the portable 40m EFHW I just built with to try out.  Both worked well, snagged 16 CW QSO’s pretty quickly before packing it up again.  I probably wouldn’t drag the throw line on a long hike but for portable stuff close to the pickup, it’s much nicer than the 40# fishing line and one ounce weight I normally use.
Link Posted: 7/31/2021 9:39:53 PM EDT
[#4]
Attachment Attached File

Wanted to try and activate Glacier when on vacation but family had me so busy didn’t have time.
Link Posted: 7/31/2021 11:44:15 PM EDT
[#5]
We Had a good day.

Years ago, near 1794 was an off road park we used to go to.  It was a bunch of really fun 4x4 trails. The EPA closed them down because they didn't want vehicles in the riverbank. brought back a bunch of good memories.  I had a 1988 suzuki that refused to be beaten to hell.

After the activation, we remembered where it was. now there is nothing but an old faded sign that the off road park is closed.
pics of my zuk in the old 4x4 club days

Link Posted: 8/1/2021 8:10:44 PM EDT
[#6]
Ty is on 14.296
Link Posted: 8/2/2021 12:23:17 PM EDT
[#7]
Originally Posted By Derek45:

We Had a good day.

Years ago, near 1794 was an off road park we used to go to.  It was a bunch of really fun 4x4 trails. The EPA closed them down because they didn't want vehicles in the riverbank. brought back a bunch of good memories.  I had a 1988 suzuki that refused to be beaten to hell.

https://i.imgur.com/JqzRr9D.jpg

https://i.imgur.com/zPL3RQC.jpg

https://i.imgur.com/4orLTp1.jpg

https://i.imgur.com/yH1s1oY.jpg

After the activation, we remembered where it was. now there is nothing but an old faded sign that the off road park is closed.
pics of my zuk in the old 4x4 club days

https://i.imgur.com/T2XynoB.jpg

https://i.imgur.com/nt4ysdl.jpg
View Quote

I can fly!!!

To be young and reckless again would be awesome.
Link Posted: 8/6/2021 1:42:27 AM EDT
[#8]
I’m on 7.275 rn. K-7210
Link Posted: 8/6/2021 2:09:28 AM EDT
[#9]
I can hear ya down in the weeds, just barely... s5 to s9 noise level here.
Link Posted: 8/6/2021 11:01:17 AM EDT
[Last Edit: SACraig] [#10]
POTA activator guys could you please explain a couple of things to me:

1.  How long after an activation are the logs expected to be submitted?  I have some outstanding that are pushing a month old which seems a bit long to me.  Maybe it isn't but I just don't know which is why I'm asking.

2.  I heard someone yesterday mention that he needed at least 10 QSO's to be able to submit the log.  Is that correct?  If so it might explain #1 above.  I have a few that are 4 to 6 months old and I've just marked them off as "Not In Log" even though I know they were.  I worked some of them on FT4/FT8 so I know I didn't confuse the call sign and I have a record of them completing in the WSJT-X log file.

3.  What are the rules regarding duplicate park contacts?  The best I can tell is that if two contacts at the same park are on different bands or different modes then they both count.  Yes or No?  How about the same park by different activators on different days?  Like all hunters I have a lot of dupes but I think some of them got counted since my total excluding ALL duplicate parks is lower than what POTA shows my total as being.

I'm not complaining about any of these, just trying to find out what the rules really are.  I found a sort-of list of rules, or perhaps just "Suggestions", for hunters but it didn't go into detail about these questions.

Thanks guys!

Oh, and Ty I've heard you several times but not really strong enough to make out the details.  Call it 44 or so.  Your voice is more like a murmur than speech, kind of blended together.  A vertical antenna here doesn't help because I have no rejection from the back or sides and hear everything from all directions.  One of these days, with the solar cycle improving, I'll hear what you're saying ;)
Link Posted: 8/6/2021 11:12:53 AM EDT
[#11]
Originally Posted By SACraig:

1.  How long after an activation are the logs expected to be submitted?  I have some outstanding that are pushing a month old which seems a bit long to me.  Maybe it isn't but I just don't know which is why I'm asking.  

The sooner the better to not leave your hunters hanging too long, but there is no time limit.  The POTA program began in 2016, and they have stated if you have logs of you operating even before then in a park, go ahead an send them in IIRC.

2.  I heard someone yesterday mention that he needed at least 10 QSO's to be able to submit the log.  Is that correct?  If so it might explain #1 above.  I have a few that are 4 to 6 months old and I've just marked them off as "Not In Log" even though I know they were.  I worked some of them on FT4/FT8 so I know I didn't confuse the call sign and I have a record of them completing in the WSJT-X log file.  

You need at least any 10 QSOs as an activator to get credit for "activating" the park that day.  However, even if you only get one QSO, you should still submit your log because that's the only way the hunter(s) will get credit for having hunted that park.  Remember that only the activators submit logs, hunters don't need to send anything in, they get credit by being in activators' logs.

3.  What are the rules regarding duplicate park contacts?  The best I can tell is that if two contacts at the same park are on different bands or different modes then they both count.  Yes or No?  How about the same park by different activators on different days?  Like all hunters I have a lot of dupes but I think some of them got counted since my total excluding ALL duplicate parks is lower than what POTA shows my total as being.

Same park on different days are not dupes, it just means you have hunted that park multiple times.  There are even hunter awards for having hunted the same park x-number of times, so even if you have hunted that park before, feel free to get it again.  As far as same park and same day and same activator, any change in band or mode can be counted as another valid contact.  It's only a dupe if its a contact made on the same band, mode, and same UTC day with the same activator's callsign.  The dupe rules are very lax for POTA.

I'm not complaining about any of these, just trying to find out what the rules really are.  I found a sort-of list of rules, or perhaps just "Suggestions", for hunters but it didn't go into detail about these questions.

Thanks guys!

Oh, and Ty I've heard you several times but not really strong enough to make out the details.  Call it 44 or so.  Your voice is more like a murmur than speech, kind of blended together.  A vertical antenna here doesn't help because I have no rejection from the back or sides and hear everything from all directions.  One of these days, with the solar cycle improving, I'll hear what you're saying ;)
View Quote

Link Posted: 8/6/2021 11:35:13 AM EDT
[#12]
View Quote

He's doing 4 days of Alaska POTA activations (today  through Monday), so you may get your chance.
Link Posted: 8/6/2021 11:42:59 AM EDT
[Last Edit: M4Madness] [#13]
On a related note (SOTA), my wife and I hike and we've hiked to the summit of a particular mountain every July for the last few years, and plan to do so again next July. We take different trails to it each time. Surprisingly, that summit has never been activated, which is odd considering the number of hikers it sees a year. My question is: How do you account for the new location when logging? Obviously you have to change the parameters, or everyone gets credit for my home QTH.
Link Posted: 8/6/2021 11:47:49 AM EDT
[#14]
Originally Posted By D_Man:

The sooner the better to not leave your hunters hanging too long, but there is no time limit.  The POTA program began in 2016, and they have stated if you have logs of you operating even before then in a park, go ahead an send them in IIRC.

Thanks.  Makes sense but I wasn't sure.  I thought I remembered hearing that there was a 30-day limit but I was apparently wrong about that.

You need at least any 10 QSOs as an activator to get credit for "activating" the park that day.  However, even if you only get one QSO, you should still submit your log because that's the only way the hunter(s) will get credit for having hunted that park.  Remember that only the activators submit logs, hunters don't need to send anything in, they get credit by being in activators' logs.

OK, now I understand.  The 10 park minimum is just for the activators to get credit.  The hunters not getting credit when there were fewer than 10 was what I didn't understand and what was bothering me.

Same park on different days are not dupes, it just means you have hunted that park multiple times.  There are even hunter awards for having hunted the same park x-number of times, so even if you have hunted that park before, feel free to get it again.  As far as same park and same day and same activator, any change in band or mode can be counted as another valid contact.  It's only a dupe if its a contact made on the same band, mode, and same UTC day with the same activator's callsign.  The dupe rules are very lax for POTA.

I had seen something about an award for working the same park "x" number of times which is what confused me about duplicates.  Given this information it eliminates most of my dupes.  There are a couple where I accidentally worked the same guy at the same park on the same day but not many.

Very helpful.  Thanks!
View Quote

Link Posted: 8/6/2021 11:48:24 AM EDT
[#15]
Originally Posted By M4Madness:

He's doing 4 days of Alaska POTA activations (today  through Monday), so you may get your chance.
View Quote

I'll watch for him but based on the past few days I'm not hopeful ;)
Link Posted: 8/6/2021 11:48:44 AM EDT
[#16]
On a related note (SOTA), my wife and I hike and we've hiked to the summit of a particular mountain every July for the last few years, and plan to do so again next July. We take different trails to it each time. Surprisingly, that summit has never been activated, which is odd considering the number of hikers it sees a year. My question is: How do you account for the new location when logging? Obviously you have to change the parameters, or everyone gets credit for my home QTH.
View Quote
Not sure on SOTA specific rules here, but in general there are a few things you can do.

-In the log file, you can add a column called "MY_GRIDSQUARE" and put the grid designator in there for where you actually are.
-If you upload to LoTW, you can create a new location in eQSL and put in all the info about where you were and use that location to upload the log there.
Link Posted: 8/6/2021 11:50:25 AM EDT
[#17]
View Quote

On FT8 and FT4 most contacts show the maidenhead grid square of the station.  When I get eQSL cards from POTA activators they show the grid square of the park, not their home location.  Is there a way to incorporate that?
Link Posted: 8/6/2021 11:51:35 AM EDT
[#18]

Thanks.  Makes sense but I wasn't sure.  I thought I remembered hearing that there was a 30-day limit but I was apparently wrong about that.
View Quote
They do put a month limit on submitting logs for the quarterly Support Your Parks weekends in order to qualify for the special awards given for those events, but for the general POTA credit and awards, anytime is good to go.
Link Posted: 8/6/2021 11:52:35 AM EDT
[#19]
I've never done POTA or SOTA. I don't even have an HF mobile set-up yet.
Link Posted: 8/6/2021 11:57:36 AM EDT
[#20]
Originally Posted By D_Man:
They do put a month limit on submitting logs for the quarterly Support Your Parks weekends in order to qualify for the special awards given for those events, but for the general POTA credit and awards, anytime is good to go.
View Quote

Thanks.  That may be what I heard it in relation to.  I don't remember where I saw it now, I just thought I remembered it from somewhere.
Link Posted: 8/6/2021 1:55:49 PM EDT
[#21]
I've never done POTA or SOTA. I don't even have an HF mobile set-up yet.
View Quote
Hunting is fun, activating is way better.
Link Posted: 8/6/2021 3:29:29 PM EDT
[#22]
yep

it’s a blast

i am amazed at the pile-ups that …normally boring me …can create

Link Posted: 8/6/2021 5:24:25 PM EDT
[#23]
A park in SC is working 7.235 right now
Link Posted: 8/6/2021 7:10:46 PM EDT
[#24]
Originally Posted By Derek45:
yep

it's a blast

i am amazed at the pile-ups that normally boring me can create

View Quote
Yep. They do well at that. The later the bigger. Well to a degree.
Link Posted: 8/7/2021 4:29:20 PM EDT
[#25]

I'll watch for him but based on the past few days I'm not hopeful ;)
View Quote

I am 5 for 5 so far. Just got to Tok. It’s hard when you can’t spot yourself and have no cell service!

Link Posted: 8/7/2021 4:36:35 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Colt653] [#26]
Pretty good day.

Road trip

Picked up some primers, and went looking to Eagle Bluffs

Didn't see any eagles, but made 40 QSO's on 20m K-6524

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 8/8/2021 3:03:07 PM EDT
[#27]
Ty is on 14.297
Link Posted: 8/9/2021 10:07:58 PM EDT
[#28]
Ty is on 14.297
View Quote

Thanks! Just got home and finished logging. Drove over 950 miles, activated 10 parks, came short on 2 others. Skipped 6 more due to time, weather, RFI etc. Was a great trip with my son and we saw a ton. I might do a photo dump or dedicated thread if anyone is interested.
Link Posted: 8/9/2021 10:15:26 PM EDT
[#29]

..... I might do a photo dump or dedicated thread if anyone is interested.
View Quote

yes please

Link Posted: 8/9/2021 10:36:42 PM EDT
[#30]
Link Posted: 8/10/2021 12:05:24 AM EDT
[#31]
Originally Posted By RED_5:
oooh, I just saw that I got a Bronze Hunter Cert
View Quote
You'll be at a few hundred in no time.
Link Posted: 8/10/2021 6:12:10 AM EDT
[#32]

Thanks! Just got home and finished logging. Drove over 950 miles, activated 10 parks, came short on 2 others. Skipped 6 more due to time, weather, RFI etc. Was a great trip with my son and we saw a ton. I might do a photo dump or dedicated thread if anyone is interested.
View Quote

I bet it was an awesome time! Did you do day trips and stay in your own bed each night, or was this one big road trip? Alaska is very picturesque, so I'm sure you took in a lot of great scenery -- looking forward to a dedicated thread as well. I normally see you spotted on DXSummit, but sadly that wasn't the case for this 4-day adventure.
Link Posted: 8/13/2021 2:40:09 PM EDT
[#33]
It's a shame the Titan Missile Museum in Tucson, AZ isn't on the park list.  They have a BEAUTIFUL Collins Discone antenna about 80' tall that visiting hams can use.  They provide the antenna, you provide the radio and power.  I've been there and seen it but I didn't have my radio with me.

It's sponsored by the Green Valley A.R.C. but I don't know if that means owned, maintained or just managed.  Pix and info are Here.
Link Posted: 8/13/2021 5:08:05 PM EDT
[#34]
It's a shame the Titan Missile Museum in Tucson, AZ isn't on the park list.  They have a BEAUTIFUL Collins Discone antenna about 80' tall that visiting hams can use.  They provide the antenna, you provide the radio and power.  I've been there and seen it but I didn't have my radio with me.

It's sponsored by the Green Valley A.R.C. but I don't know if that means owned, maintained or just managed.  Pix and info are Here.
View Quote

Special event!!
Link Posted: 8/13/2021 5:30:50 PM EDT
[Last Edit: SACraig] [#35]
Originally Posted By lorazepam:

Special event!!
View Quote

It would make a dandy one, no question of that.  Especially during the fall or winter but not so much during the summer!  There's not a tree to be found anywhere on that hilltop.  But it is a Titan missile silo so I guess that's to be expected.

Their web site linked above says that the GVRC uses that antenna frequently for SES activities.
Link Posted: 8/13/2021 10:44:33 PM EDT
[#36]
Originally Posted By KD5TXX:
As a happy note, I got New Zealand as a POTA contact.  20m CW today.
https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/49697/Screenshot_20210728-074503_Samsung_Inter-2030621.JPG
View Quote

I worked the same station on the same frequency tonight

Farm-sitting for a friend in Iowa this week.  After chores tonight, ran up to a state park about 15 minutes away and set up the KX2 and a 40m efhw.  Got twenty some contacts in 45 minutes and had a nice chat with a deputy that was cruising the park.  I’m guessing they assume the worst when they see out of state plates at a remote park in the middle of meth country

Nice cool, bug-free evening spent by the lake.

I need to get around to doing a comparison of this 40m efhw to my 29’ efrw.  I did use my new arborist throw line...works way better than the fishing line/one oz weight that I normally use.
Link Posted: 8/14/2021 12:14:27 AM EDT
[#37]

View Quote

I have a QSL card from working them.  I’m out of town now but when I get home I’ll find it.  Worked them SSB probably 10 yers ago.
Link Posted: 8/15/2021 4:51:17 PM EDT
[#38]
Originally Posted By Bluedog1971:

I worked the same station on the same frequency tonight

Farm-sitting for a friend in Iowa this week.  After chores tonight, ran up to a state park about 15 minutes away and set up the KX2 and a 40m efhw.  Got twenty some contacts in 45 minutes and had a nice chat with a deputy that was cruising the park.  I’m guessing they assume the worst when they see out of state plates at a remote park in the middle of meth country

Nice cool, bug-free evening spent by the lake.

I need to get around to doing a comparison of this 40m efhw to my 29’ efrw.  I did use my new arborist throw line...works way better than the fishing line/one oz weight that I normally use.
View Quote

But did you score some meth after the activation?
Link Posted: 8/15/2021 6:54:21 PM EDT
[#39]
Originally Posted By swampfoxoutdoors:

But did you score some meth after the activation?
View Quote

I cook my own
Link Posted: 8/15/2021 8:37:55 PM EDT
[#40]
Originally Posted By Bluedog1971:

I cook my own
View Quote

Shake and bake!

You need to start filming your activations so I can post them on my website. Been trying to put friends videos up showing how they activate to learn from one another. It’s been fun.
Link Posted: 8/15/2021 8:54:12 PM EDT
[#41]
Ty is on 14.287
Link Posted: 8/15/2021 10:36:07 PM EDT
[#42]
Ty is on 14.287
View Quote

Thanks man. The beach is always a pileup. I got 3 pages, or about 75 contacts in an hour or so. I got Jamaica and Solomon Islands. I’m going for the Kilo and Repeat Offender awards at K-7201.
Link Posted: 8/16/2021 9:11:45 AM EDT
[Last Edit: ManiacRat] [#43]

Shake and bake!

You need to start filming your activations so I can post them on my website. Been trying to put friends videos up showing how they activate to learn from one another. It's been fun.
View Quote
I always mean to record mine and forget. I'm going on a week long camping trip to get a kilo out of a park here. So maybe I'll do some recording while I'm there.
Link Posted: 8/16/2021 9:58:59 AM EDT
[#44]

Shake and bake!

You need to start filming your activations so I can post them on my website. Been trying to put friends videos up showing how they activate to learn from one another. It’s been fun.
View Quote

I will one of these times.  

Have a few activities planned coming up, I’ll send ya footage if I’m able to video.
Link Posted: 8/16/2021 8:56:03 PM EDT
[#45]
With nothing happening on the radio tonight, I started looking at portable HF radios that I could take camping or up into the mountains on our annual Great Smoky Mountains trip. The Icom IC-705 caught my eye -- until I saw the paltry power rating. I know that QRP is a thing and all, but I'd want some serious reach (as in DX) if I just hiked 8 miles up the side of a mountain.
Link Posted: 8/16/2021 9:13:33 PM EDT
[#46]
With nothing happening on the radio tonight, I started looking at portable HF radios that I could take camping or up into the mountains on our annual Great Smoky Mountains trip. The Icom IC-705 caught my eye -- until I saw the paltry power rating. I know that QRP is a thing and all, but I'd want some serious reach (as in DX) if I just hiked 8 miles up the side of a mountain.
View Quote

Link Posted: 8/16/2021 9:16:06 PM EDT
[#47]
891 is what you're after. Best portable HF radio out there in my opinion. I love both of mine.
Link Posted: 8/16/2021 10:03:02 PM EDT
[#48]
My G90, a 10ah Dakota lithium battery and a 40-10 EFHW and 75 feet of cord fit in one of these. I can use one wrap from velcro to attach some coax to the bag. It will slip into a day pack with lots of room to spare.
Link Posted: 8/16/2021 10:20:06 PM EDT
[#49]
Originally Posted By ManiacRat461:
I always mean to record mine and forget. I'm going on a week long camping trip to get a kilo out of a park here. So maybe I'll do some recording while I'm there.
View Quote

Well my offer stands for anyone here wanting to video a POTA setup & or activation.
Link Posted: 8/17/2021 6:57:56 AM EDT
[#50]

Well my offer stands for anyone here wanting to video a POTA setup & or activation.
View Quote
I'll try to remember. This next one is a little more involved than normal. Going for a kilo so doing a lot of FT8. Bringing my 7300 in addition to my 891.
Page / 56
POTA - Parks On The Air (Page 6 of 56)
Top Top