User Panel

Evolution of a duck dog (Page 5 of 7)
Page / 7
Link Posted: 6/13/2019 7:47:58 PM EDT
[#1]
Gorgeous puppies...
Link Posted: 6/14/2019 8:31:02 AM EDT
[#2]
Thanks for all the updates over the years. Fun to watch along.
Link Posted: 6/25/2019 9:25:02 AM EDT
[#3]
At the lake for the week, Addi watching over mom chilling on Leroy.  Wife and I are cutting it short and headed to Maine Thursday to pick up Miss Ellie.  The kids will have pack up and bring the boat back to the slip!Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 6/25/2019 11:50:17 AM EDT
[#4]
Got any pheasants up there? My Cutter likes them even more than ducks and geese, I think. Here he is with a couple roosters, last year, shortly after he figured out what we were out there for.
Link Posted: 6/25/2019 1:28:39 PM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By JCoop:
Got any pheasants up there? My Cutter likes them even more than ducks and geese, I think. Here he is with a couple roosters, last year, shortly after he figured out what we were out there for. https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/143025/Roosters-992832.jpg
View Quote
There are a handful of wild ones in Addison County, you would need to put alot of miles on your feet for a small reward.  There is a preserve in Shoreham/Whiting that does a great job but they are all put and take, they also do driven shoots, there are pictures of Addi there in previous pages.
Link Posted: 6/28/2019 7:18:49 PM EDT
[#6]
Just got home from Northern Maine and a 13 hour round trip drive.  Ellie is now home and her and Addi are getting along great!  The cat on the other hand......

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File
Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 6/28/2019 9:03:12 PM EDT
[#7]
I was wondering about the cat. Same one from the beginning of the thread?
Link Posted: 6/29/2019 11:41:14 AM EDT
[#8]
Yup, same cat.  The 2 of them have come to some sort of truce as of this morning
Link Posted: 6/29/2019 6:13:30 PM EDT
[#9]
View Quote
So it begins...again.
Link Posted: 7/3/2019 6:21:10 PM EDT
[#10]
Sorry, had to post one more. She took her first swim yesterday!

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 7/3/2019 6:58:45 PM EDT
[#11]
I like the looks of this pup! What do the sire and dam look like?
Link Posted: 7/3/2019 9:21:09 PM EDT
[#12]
I like the looks of this pup! What do the sire and dam look like?
View Quote
Both yellows, Dad is around 65ish # and mom is a bit bigger than Addi.  From the looks of it now she is on the smaller side of the scale and I would guess she will top out in the 50# range .......but we shall see!
Link Posted: 7/13/2019 7:48:16 PM EDT
[#13]
Partners in crime

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 8/2/2019 8:51:53 PM EDT
[#14]
Got any snacks, Dad?

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 8/2/2019 10:49:28 PM EDT
[#15]
That's a great shot.
Link Posted: 8/25/2019 7:18:37 PM EDT
[#16]
First day on the boat, only fell in once.

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 9/16/2019 4:46:20 PM EDT
[Last Edit: VTDuckGuy] [#17]
So we are in the middle of a very slow early goose season, so not many pictures to share.  Our #1 go to spot is dry for the second year in a row, the lake is full of bass boats and the corn is finally starting to come down at one of our local farms.  My daughter texted me from school this morning, 1/2 way across the country and said she missed her dogs and I needed to do an update......so here we are, Cal.

Finally got a few out of the corn on Sunday, got to hide in the weeds and the cabbage plants

Attachment Attached File

And some post hunt snuggle with with her sister, Ellie is getting big

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 9/22/2019 8:03:05 PM EDT
[#18]
Attachment Attached File

Addi got to go hunting in the morning, Ellie got a boat afternoon

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 9/25/2019 6:55:19 PM EDT
[#19]
And the last retrieve for the 2019 September goose season  

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 9/26/2019 10:41:41 AM EDT
[#20]
Awesome!
Link Posted: 10/3/2019 2:58:46 PM EDT
[#21]
So my pup made an awesome retrieve of a mallard this morning, and in the process sliced the hell out of his right hind foot. After surgery and stitches he's out of action for 10 - 14 days!
Link Posted: 10/4/2019 10:22:40 AM EDT
[#22]
So my pup made an awesome retrieve of a mallard this morning, and in the process sliced the hell out of his right hind foot. After surgery and stitches he's out of action for 10 - 14 days!
View Quote
That was an expensive mallard!
Link Posted: 10/7/2019 10:10:16 AM EDT
[#23]
Originally Posted By VTDuckGuy:
That was an expensive mallard!
View Quote
$352 for the vet, $0.50 for the shell plus gas driving to and from the hunting spot! Made duck burritos out of it last night and it was good, but not $355+ good...
Link Posted: 10/7/2019 11:24:29 AM EDT
[#24]
Great thread OP thanks for posting, I'd never seen it until this morning. I don't own a lab myself but my brother & several friends do so I'm very familiar with them. It's very interesting to see them working where you are.
Link Posted: 10/8/2019 4:35:03 PM EDT
[#25]
@VTDuckGuy are you seeing any migration yet? We've had some Canadas headed south in the last week, but still lots of local teal and woodies.
Link Posted: 10/8/2019 5:37:50 PM EDT
[#26]
@VTDuckGuy are you seeing any migration yet? We've had some Canadas headed south in the last week, but still lots of local teal and woodies.
View Quote
Geese yes, but big ducks, no.  Ducks start on Thursday and we scouted our opening day spot this morning and there were a couple hundred wigeon there along with all the others, so the "calendar" ducks are moving.  We seem to also have lost a bunch of woodies and blue wings, which is not a surprise with the hard frost the other night.

What will be interesting is what the geese do after getting some pressure, there is almost no corn cut, so I am not sure they will stick around in numbers.  I will have a much better idea of what is going on after this weekend.
Link Posted: 10/8/2019 6:57:25 PM EDT
[#27]
We're just starting to cut corn in the Upper Valley. My best producing field was cut today, in fact. Local geese probably haven't been too heavily pressured yet so I'm hoping the fresh cut will entice some visitors.
Link Posted: 10/13/2019 9:40:59 AM EDT
[#28]
Watching the marsh and watching the corn

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 11/7/2019 12:51:09 PM EDT
[#29]
With ducks closed on the lake and goose ending tomorrow, a quick limit shoot close to home

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 11/7/2019 6:10:16 PM EDT
[#30]
Very nice! The river zone closed on Monday for 2 weeks so I have to find some interior zone spots. Odd that I tend to hunt VT more than NH. Probably because everybody I hunt with lives in VT.
Link Posted: 11/12/2019 6:13:41 PM EDT
[#31]
And for the first time ever, I have our Christmas card shot done before Thanksgiving

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 12/7/2019 5:40:58 PM EDT
[#32]
A few weeks to go in the duck season and battling the snow and ice, but killing lots of mallards and black ducks. This morning was 8* when we put in at the boat ramp, ice forms quick when they get out of the water.

Attachment Attached File

A stud of a greenhead, love them at this time of year

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 2/11/2020 8:56:07 AM EDT
[#33]
Happy 9th birthday kid!  She is enjoying a bit of quiet time as Ellie is away at "boot camp" aka the pro trainers for 5 or 6 weeks.

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 4/24/2020 2:39:21 PM EDT
[#34]
Hows it going? Cutter and I have had lots more time to train since the shutdown. He's lining better and starting to take casts in a less wild-dog-on-meth sort of way Also working on his control a lot. He's so high energy he has trouble waiting to be released.

How's Ellie coming along?
Link Posted: 4/25/2020 8:35:02 AM EDT
[Last Edit: VTDuckGuy] [#35]
Hows it going? Cutter and I have had lots more time to train since the shutdown. He's lining better and starting to take casts in a less wild-dog-on-meth sort of way Also working on his control a lot. He's so high energy he has trouble waiting to be released.

How's Ellie coming along?
View Quote

She is doing well after coming back from the trainers, the weather is perfect for doing land work, still a bit cold for any serious water work.  Marks are coming along great and she is going out close to 100 yards with the dummy launcher, intro to decoys was real funny.

I set a bunch of silos out and she came out of the crate with her hackles up thinking they were turkeys (she hates them walking thru the yard) after a minute she could care less about the decoys.  We are also doing a bunch of pile work, which she is getting the hang of.

Lots more to work on, but there are so many things to do nothing gets old and repetitive, and she has a ton of energy to burn off. She has more drive than Addi had which as you know can be a good and bad thing, real good once you get it under control, but getting real steady on birds will be some work.

There are days when my wife wants to shoot her, if she wasn't so cute.  So far she has chewed up at least $500 in her shoes along with various other pieces of clothes, she has a taste for Victoria secret bras  

Edit to add. Cleaning out sap lines a couple of weeks ago

Attachment Attached File

Link Posted: 4/25/2020 10:46:48 AM EDT
[#36]
Originally Posted By VTDuckGuy:

She is doing well after coming back from the trainers, the weather is perfect for doing land work, still a bit cold for any serious water work.  Marks are coming along great and she is going out close to 100 yards with the dummy launcher, intro to decoys was real funny.

I set a bunch of silos out and she came out of the crate with her hackles up thinking they were turkeys (she hates them walking thru the yard) after a minute she could care less about the decoys.  We are also doing a bunch of pile work, which she is getting the hang of.

Lots more to work on, but there are so many things to do nothing gets old and repetitive, and she has a ton of energy to burn off. She has more drive than Addi had which as you know can be a good and bad thing, real good once you get it under control, but getting real steady on birds will be some work.

There are days when my wife wants to shoot her, if she wasn't so cute.  So far she has chewed up at least $500 in her shoes along with various other pieces of clothes, she has a taste for Victoria secret bras  

Edit to add. Cleaning out sap lines a couple of weeks ago

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/164162/90B4F01D-978F-4AE5-9146-469967E3A212_jpe-1385430.JPG
View Quote
Amazing similarities between Ellie and Cutter. It's going to be very difficult to get Cutter completely under control. He knows what he is supposed to do but it's very difficult for him to contain it all.

Link Posted: 5/19/2020 11:24:46 AM EDT
[#37]
This is a great thread.

Do you have any pics of how you hide the dog in the boat so she can still see? Or how she gets in/out?

I'm picking up a pup this weekend and mostly hunt out of a boat.
Link Posted: 5/19/2020 4:13:46 PM EDT
[Last Edit: VTDuckGuy] [#38]
Originally Posted By fowlrider:
This is a great thread.

Do you have any pics of how you hide the dog in the boat so she can still see? Or how she gets in/out?

I'm picking up a pup this weekend and mostly hunt out of a boat
View Quote
@fowlrider

She sits on the back deck of the boat, outside of the blind, but right next to me and it is camoed in.  As for getting back in the boat 99% of the time we are pulled up close to shore and she just jumps in, but I also have a welded on fold up platform that is used in deep water.

I will post some pictures of the set up after this weekend, our ski boat is going in the water and is currently blocking the garage door to get the duck boat out.
Link Posted: 5/26/2020 12:04:43 PM EDT
[#39]
Here are the pictures of the back of the boat as promised @fowlrider

From the front looking back

From the back looking forward, blind sides are down and over her left shoulder is the doors to get in the boat, closed when hunting, open for running.

Looking at the side of the boat, she would normally sit just to the left looking at the picture.  All are taken with the motor cover off.

Final 2 are the fold up ramp in the down position, motor cover off.  Motor can be run with it down.

Link Posted: 5/26/2020 12:07:00 PM EDT
[#40]
Thanks for the pics! I have a little time to sort my boat before she's ready to go.

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 7/13/2020 4:49:39 PM EDT
[Last Edit: VTDuckGuy] [#41]
Just a couple of pictures of Mutt and Jeff cooling off in the creek (you can kind of see Addi getting her bumper in the back) getting both of them in the picture is like herding cats

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

Link Posted: 8/22/2020 11:34:45 AM EDT
[#42]
Ellie went on her first hunt this morning, 31 retrieves and she is hooked! Addi was not happy

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

Link Posted: 9/11/2020 5:19:34 PM EDT
[#43]
Goose season is under way and started ok but then slowed down until today.  Addi and Sage got a bit of a workout, migrators started this morning and a full 2 man limit.  Ellie missed out, but is going tomorrow.

Link Posted: 9/12/2020 7:21:19 PM EDT
[#44]
And Ellie got to pick up her first geese this morning.

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

Link Posted: 9/13/2020 12:27:54 PM EDT
[#45]
That's awesome!
Link Posted: 9/18/2020 3:09:57 PM EDT
[#46]
So Ellie got in on her first goose beat down and is still trying to figure out the whole posing for pictures thing. As my daughter said "She's like the weird kid who willingly stands at the end of the rows to take school photos"  

Attachment Attached File

Link Posted: 10/10/2020 7:47:07 PM EDT
[#47]
First duck today and first piece of hardware!

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

Link Posted: 10/16/2020 2:11:59 PM EDT
[#48]
Very cool! Good dog!
Link Posted: 10/16/2020 10:19:17 PM EDT
[#49]
God I love this thread!  I damn near get misty eyed every time I see a pic of a good dog with it’s eyes to the sky.  Thank you for sharing, OP.
Link Posted: 10/17/2020 8:26:21 PM EDT
[#50]
It's been a good early start to the season so far. Another full limit of ducks Thursday morning with Jr. and a limit of geese in the evening with Addi. It really sucks that the Atlantic flyway went to reduced limits last year, 2 mallards and 2 geese can make for a short morning, but there is nothing we can do

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

And another limit of geese with some ducks this morning

Attachment Attached File

Page / 7
Evolution of a duck dog (Page 5 of 7)
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top