Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 10/2/2009 11:49:44 AM EDT
[#1]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

I was at Wally World tonight and saw an Energizer Weather Ready 500
. Anybody wanna take that one on? Oh, and it was about $18-19. If it is the same quality as this 245, sounds like maybe an even better deal.

Cry Havoc!

P.S. - Uh, no, I didn't get it. I had stopped by Lowes already and have a 245 - sheesh!

Already got one. See my previous post. I didn't bother testing it because I found a link where someone else already had and they confirmed the 500+ hour rating.

Andrew, I didn't see the setting on which the light was tested in the review. Might have just missed it.

Found this info on another site:

5sub

Wow it looks like it is time for a test then.

10/2/09 7:30am: Light has been turned on to the 3 LED setting.

Wow it looks like it is time for a test then.

Excellent.
5sub

Link Posted: 10/4/2009 8:47:52 PM EDT
[#2]
Still going strong. If there is a difference in brightness at this point I can't tell. In a a blacked out 12'x14' room it provides just enough light to see around. It isn't enough light to work by and it wouldn't even be nice to read by unless you had it right next to you to light up your book. I have a feeling that it wouldn't be much help if any outside under moonlight. If exploring new territory or searching for something I wouldn't want to rely on it. It is kinda like a big night light. That is pretty much what I have been using it as too. I keep it in my bathroom and when I have gotten up in the middle of the night to use the toilet it has provided me enough light to see what I am doing without being so bright it upsets my night vision and prevents me from getting back to sleep.

At just over 61 hours now 500 seems like an eternity if it makes it that long. At 7 hours a day, which should be more than enough to get by on in twilight hours,  that is 71 days.  The 245 hour lamp would run for 35 days at 7hrs. Since I consider realistic SHTF events to be short term 35 days would likely be more than enough and the extra lumens it provides over the 500hr model would make it far more useful. If not I have more batteries. YMMV but that is the way I see it. I will be picking up more of the 245hr lamps and skipping the 500hr model.. The test will continue for those that are interested though.
Link Posted: 10/5/2009 7:11:45 AM EDT
[#3]
AndrewS,

Thanks for doing this review for us.

MtnWalker
Link Posted: 10/14/2009 6:11:39 PM EDT
[#4]
500hr model is still going. Just about to cross the 300hr mark.

I bought another one to use for a camp I just got back from. I ran the 245hr model as my main lantern and it was awesome. It lit up our sitting area nicely at night and was great for walking around. The 500hr model was setup on the other side of our camp on the truck since I got tired of using the flashlight over there every time I needed something. It also became the tent light when it was time to turn in. It excelled for this and actually provided a fair amount of light for walking around. I thought it would be mostly useless out in the open but I was wrong. It isn't enough that I would choose it if I had the 245hr model to walk with but I could manage with one if I had to.

Now that I have 2 I will have a frame of reference to compare brightness. When I unpack tomorrow I will try to remember to make a comparison.

Link Posted: 10/15/2009 8:35:34 AM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:

500hr model is still going. Just about to cross the 300hr mark.

I bought another one to use for a camp I just got back from. I ran the 245hr model as my main lantern and it was awesome. It lit up our sitting area nicely at night and was great for walking around. The 500hr model was setup on the other side of our camp on the truck since I got tired of using the flashlight over there every time I needed something. It also became the tent light when it was time to turn in. It excelled for this and actually provided a fair amount of light for walking around. I thought it would be mostly useless out in the open but I was wrong. It isn't enough that I would choose it if I had the 245hr model to walk with but I could manage with one if I had to.

Now that I have 2 I will have a frame of reference to compare brightness. When I unpack tomorrow I will try to remember to make a comparison.

Thanks !!

Link Posted: 10/18/2009 3:01:11 PM EDT
[#6]
How goes the test ???
5sub
Link Posted: 10/18/2009 3:22:35 PM EDT
[#7]
Still running but I haven't compared it to the one with fresh batteries yet. I don't have plans for the night so I should be able to check it out when it gets dark.
Link Posted: 10/19/2009 6:29:15 AM EDT
[#8]
17 days/408 hours: still running

Last night I compared the brightness to the one with fresh batteries and at this point light output is less than half of where it started. I almost forgot that when opening the new one that I noticed the packaging states 500 hours on the 3 LED setting and not the night light setting like that website stated. It looks like its going to make it too.
Link Posted: 10/23/2009 6:35:02 AM EDT
[#9]
21 days/504 Hours.

It made it. Light output is probably 1/3 or 1/4 if where it started out.
Link Posted: 10/23/2009 7:18:34 AM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:

21 days/504 Hours.

It made it. Light output is probably 1/3 or 1/4 if where it started out.

Another winner.
5sub
Link Posted: 10/26/2009 11:36:11 AM EDT
[#11]
Dang guys, I had to go out and get myself one of these after reading your posts....
Link Posted: 10/27/2009 7:24:25 AM EDT
[#12]
Still running this morning which puts it over the 600 hour mark. Light output is just about negligible at this point though. Last night I went into the small bathroom I have it in with the lights off and I couldn't see more than an a foot or two around it. I had been in a room with the lights on before that so I imagine if my eyes had been focused in the dark a bit it would have been a little more useful but you get the idea of how low it is. This will be the conclusion of my test with this light.
Link Posted: 12/23/2009 8:28:05 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Dang guys, I had to go out and get myself one of these after reading your posts....

I'm getting the hubby one for Christmas.
Page / 3
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top