Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 4/18/2016 2:30:17 PM EDT
I think we're overdue.  The last one I'm aware of was pizza and shooting at the Range in Stafford, and that was quite awhile ago.

I think a campout would be awesome, especially if we can find a place we can shoot and camp.  Just need to find a location.

Thoughts?
Link Posted: 4/18/2016 3:32:17 PM EDT
[#1]
No suggestions as I don't have any land to offer but consider this a tag.

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 4/18/2016 3:45:30 PM EDT
[#2]
Camping and shooting sounds like The Cove.
Link Posted: 4/18/2016 4:28:23 PM EDT
[#3]
I'd be interested
Link Posted: 4/18/2016 6:32:58 PM EDT
[#4]
I'm interested...does the cove allow night shoots?

Edit...nope, shooting hours are 9-5

Link Posted: 4/19/2016 1:21:43 AM EDT
[#5]
Would it be possible to not have it in NoVa? I can't really offer up suggestions but somewhere central to the state would be nice. Odds are I'll be on the boat anyway.
Link Posted: 4/19/2016 8:12:29 AM EDT
[#6]
OK you community organizers need to get to work...
my current schedule has me getting off work @ 0530 hrs Saturday and returning @ 2000 hrs Monday.
night shooting sounds fun.. especially if it involves wild pigs
Link Posted: 4/19/2016 11:25:46 PM EDT
[#7]
I can't do Sat.I work. If it was a Sunday.I'd be in
Link Posted: 4/20/2016 5:03:39 PM EDT
[#8]
I'm in!

ETA: the Cove is a great spot.
Link Posted: 4/20/2016 6:45:03 PM EDT
[#9]
Cola compound?

Link Posted: 4/20/2016 8:55:35 PM EDT
[#10]
Tag
Link Posted: 4/21/2016 9:36:33 AM EDT
[#11]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Cola compound?

View Quote

QUE?
Link Posted: 4/21/2016 11:11:22 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

QUE?
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Cola compound?

QUE?

This. I'm listening...
Link Posted: 4/21/2016 7:07:38 PM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:

QUE?
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Cola compound?

QUE?

Ugh too damn far and it's turkey season so the hunt club may have it booked anyways.

But regardless, I'm in depending on date.  I can fire up the crab cooker too if people wanna split the cost with me.
Link Posted: 4/23/2016 12:46:53 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

Ugh too damn far and it's turkey season so the hunt club may have it booked anyways.

But regardless, I'm in depending on date.  I can fire up the crab cooker too if people wanna split the cost with me.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Cola compound?

QUE?

The cove is far unless your nova. Catch 22...

Turkey hunters....

Link Posted: 4/26/2016 4:29:33 PM EDT
[#15]
Heh, for some reason this thread isn't showing up on my subscriptions.

Cola compound could be a maybe, there might be more info on that in coming weeks, but I'm not holding my breath on it.

I've heard of the Cove, but no clue about it, I'll do some research.  I'll keep an eye out on this thread for any more suggestions, and when we get enough viable ones I'll throw up a poll.

Might have to consider just doing a range day, then heading to a campground, keep the shooting and camping sorta separate...I think that will open up our options a bit.
Link Posted: 4/27/2016 8:01:48 AM EDT
[#16]
My Tranquillo shipped from Texas to my FFL today...
breaking in a new toy would be cool.. but it's gonna be about 4 months before the Form 4 clears...
Link Posted: 4/27/2016 11:52:33 AM EDT
[#17]
I'm game for a day of shooting at the Cove or wherever.  
Link Posted: 4/27/2016 12:00:07 PM EDT
[#18]
I moved here from Colorado. If there were rules about shooting in the national forest, I never knew what they were. Just go into the forest where there is a good backstop, and shoot away. The forest is there to accommodate a broad range of recreation.

Here in VA, I gather that there are designated areas in George Washington National Forest, and that they are short range. Why can't we shoot anywhere out there? Are the rules made by USFS, or the state of VA?
Link Posted: 4/27/2016 12:07:44 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
I moved here from Colorado. If there were rules about shooting in the national forest, I never knew what they were. Just go into the forest where there is a good backstop, and shoot away. The forest is there to accommodate a broad range of recreation.

Here in VA, I gather that there are designated areas in George Washington National Forest, and that they are short range. Why can't we shoot anywhere out there? Are the rules made by USFS, or the state of VA?
View Quote

Been a while since I looked into it but from what I remember it is a "hunting regulation" issue. Carrying a firearm within the national forest in hunting season you have to have a hunting permit and outside of season I am not sure it is allowed.
Link Posted: 4/27/2016 12:14:37 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

Been a while since I looked into it but from what I remember it is a "hunting regulation" issue. Carrying a firearm within the national forest in hunting season you have to have a hunting permit and outside of season I am not sure it is allowed.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I guess that depends on what you are hunting...
Link Posted: 4/27/2016 12:25:32 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I may call the USFS and figure it out. Shooting is also a recreational activity, and again based on my experience in Colorado, is a welcome (may be a stretch) activity in the national forest. I've done recreational shooting there during hunting season too, with no problems.
Link Posted: 4/27/2016 12:34:56 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

I may call the USFS and figure it out. Shooting is also a recreational activity, and again based on my experience in Colorado, is a welcome (may be a stretch) activity in the national forest. I've done recreational shooting there during hunting season too, with no problems.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

USFS allows it but leaves the standards up to each state:
http://www.fs.fed.us/recreation/programs/trails/welcome.shtml

Previous thread here:
http://www.ar15.com/forums/t_8_24/593682_Can_I_go_shooting_in_the_National_Forest_.html

I would say call them or email and see what they say:

North River Ranger District
401 Oakwood Drive
Harrisonburg, VA 22801
Toll Free:  1-866-904-0240
Local:  540-432-0187
Counties:  Augusta, Highland, Pendleton (WV), and Rockingham
Link Posted: 4/27/2016 12:38:27 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

Previous thread here:
http://www.ar15.com/forums/t_8_24/593682_Can_I_go_shooting_in_the_National_Forest_.html

401 Oakwood Drive
Harrisonburg, VA 22801
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Previous thread here:

401 Oakwood Drive
Harrisonburg, VA 22801

Cool. Thanks for the info.
Link Posted: 4/27/2016 12:41:45 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Previous thread here:

401 Oakwood Drive
Harrisonburg, VA 22801

Let us know what they say, I have been wanting to hike out and shoot a .22 with the boys while camping.
Link Posted: 4/27/2016 12:54:24 PM EDT
[#25]
I'll be in Harrisonburg late next week. I'll try to make time to walk into the office.
Link Posted: 4/27/2016 10:36:53 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
I'll be in Harrisonburg late next week. I'll try to make time to walk into the office.
View Quote

That's awesome, hope you walk out with some good info, and share it here.  If we can figure out a good solution for location, I'd love to start an annual event.
Link Posted: 4/28/2016 2:16:10 AM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
My Tranquillo shipped from Texas to my FFL today...
breaking in a new toy would be cool.. but it's gonna be about 4 months before the Form 4 clears...
View Quote

My .22 can made it to Superior Pawn and Gun today.

The wait continues however.

I have a SBR and a 30 cal can in the pipeline too.
Link Posted: 4/28/2016 11:13:40 PM EDT
[#28]
Tag for info.

I remember like the two meetups in Central Va years ago but we didn't go shooting sadly.
Link Posted: 4/29/2016 12:39:33 AM EDT
[#29]
For anyone who doesn't know there are free shooting ranges in all districts of the GWNF. Limited to 100yds rifle and about 20yds pistol but there are no range masters so there are no restrictions on how you use that space.

I'd be down for a greet n shoot in the range West of Harrisonburg, it is a 40 minute drive from town.
Link Posted: 4/29/2016 9:11:27 AM EDT
[#30]
GWNF website specifically says shooting at designated ranges only. Unfortunately we don't live out west. Hite Hollow is a great little range but you won't find much for camping areas close by.
Link Posted: 4/29/2016 10:25:20 AM EDT
[#31]

Quoted:

For anyone who doesn't know there are free shooting ranges in all districts of the GWNF. Limited to 100yds rifle and about 20yds pistol but there are no range masters so there are no restrictions on how you use that space.

I'd be down for a greet n shoot in the range West of Harrisonburg, it is a 40 minute drive from town.
View Quote

That is probably West Side which is in West Virginia.  Anyone with NFA toys can't bring them unless they ask ATF for permission in advance.  

Link Posted: 4/29/2016 1:48:08 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
GWNF website specifically says shooting at designated ranges only. Unfortunately we don't live out west. Hite Hollow is a great little range but you won't find much for camping areas close by.
View Quote

Haven't been there in years (well since I moved to Chesapeake, actually), but I remember that being a pretty good range.
Link Posted: 4/29/2016 2:33:29 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

That is probably West Side which is in West Virginia.  Anyone with NFA toys can't bring them unless they ask ATF for permission in advance.  

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Why is that? No NFA stuff on govt forest?
Link Posted: 4/29/2016 2:50:40 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

An ATF form 5320.20 has to be sent in and approved to transporting many NFA items across state lines. It is not required for AOW's and Suppressors but would be required for SBR's, SBS's, DD's, and MG's.
Link Posted: 4/29/2016 4:01:20 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
View Quote

Yup, I hit Hite Hollow during my researching last, and at first glance it would be perfect...but the closest camping area is 40+ miles and about an hour drive.  

Everything I read backed up "shooting at designated ranges only."  No loaded guns, other than CCW, outside of hunting season.

At this point, I'm thinking we should abandon the idea of camping and shooting, and go with one or the other.  As much as I'd love an opportunity to get some shooting in, I think camping is a much more social experience, and gives people more of an opportunity to get to know each other.

Thoughts?
Link Posted: 4/29/2016 6:39:35 PM EDT
[#36]
Sorry to be snobbish, but my rifles are barely stretching their legs at anything less than 300 yards, and longer is preferred. A 100 yard range is not interesting at all.
Link Posted: 4/29/2016 6:45:49 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:

Yup, I hit Hite Hollow during my researching last, and at first glance it would be perfect...but the closest camping area is 40+ miles and about an hour drive.  

Everything I read backed up "shooting at designated ranges only."  No loaded guns, other than CCW, outside of hunting season.

At this point, I'm thinking we should abandon the idea of camping and shooting, and go with one or the other.  As much as I'd love an opportunity to get some shooting in, I think camping is a much more social experience, and gives people more of an opportunity to get to know each other.

Thoughts?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Thoughts?

You can primitive camp anywhere in the GWNF.....no campground needed.

Link Posted: 4/29/2016 8:41:59 PM EDT
[#38]
Sooooo, what's wrong with the Cove?

They have a range and camping.
I've heard the range is just a clear area (110 yards long) in front of a hill with some steel hangers. I hear you need to bring target stands, but that's just some 2x4s and pvc.
They also have a beach acceding to their website.

They don't allow night shooting but it could still be fun in the day.

I'm not a shill, I've never been there. I really wish we were out west with tons of BlM land
Link Posted: 4/30/2016 9:07:02 AM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
Sorry to be snobbish, but my rifles are barely stretching their legs at anything less than 300 yards, and longer is preferred. A 100 yard range is not interesting at all.
View Quote

A buddy of mine has a Barrett.50 I would love to shoot....but just finding a place to stretch its legs is near impossible...
Link Posted: 4/30/2016 1:21:02 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:

I've heard the range is just a clear area (110 yards long) in front of a hill with some steel hangers. I hear you need to bring target stands, but that's just some 2x4s and pvc.

I'm not a shill, I've never been there. I really wish we were out west with tons of BlM land
View Quote

I was there about a month ago, yes there is a 100+ cleared range that's clean and organized.  Steel is therr and yes bring target stands or piece together wood from others.  We did tanerrite, ok in reasonable quantities.  There on a Friday and had range to ourselves.

Camping is down by the lake and need vehicle with high ground clearance to get to the range.

Ive been to Hite Hollow, pretty fair drive to get to it.  Maybe it makes sense to have two or three shoots, cove, hite and somewhere in tidewater?

Note:  Peacemaker (just over the WV line on 81N ) has 300 yard public range and 1000 if your a member and qualify at 100 yards  (1 moa)
Link Posted: 4/30/2016 4:36:22 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Yes, that range is about 1/2 mile north of the Brandywine campground and just over the mountain in almost heaven West VA.
Link Posted: 4/30/2016 5:26:01 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:

You can primitive camp anywhere in the GWNF.....no campground needed.

View Quote

That's good to know, and could play a big part in this...thanks for pointing it out.
Link Posted: 4/30/2016 5:29:00 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:

View Quote

We're looking for something a bit more central to the state.  A lot of the folk further south don't want to drive that far.
Link Posted: 4/30/2016 11:15:33 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:

An ATF form 5320.20 has to be sent in and approved to transporting many NFA items across state lines. It is not required for AOW's and Suppressors but would be required for SBR's, SBS's, DD's, and MG's.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I didn't even notice the "West" before Virginia. Never mind.
Link Posted: 5/1/2016 9:24:57 AM EDT
[#45]
My sparrow is sitting in jail at bobs in Norfolk  
Link Posted: 5/1/2016 8:52:59 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:
View Quote

My .22 can is at superior on little creek Rd.
Link Posted: 5/1/2016 9:15:03 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Make sure to take a gun with u there
Link Posted: 5/2/2016 1:01:37 AM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:
View Quote

I have a spectre 2 just waiting on a victory threaded barrel version to show up for it(its old host is apart right now).

Link Posted: 5/3/2016 7:22:49 PM EDT
[#49]
There is camping and a range just off of i77in Wythe county.

http://www.fs.usda.gov/recarea/gwj/null/recarea/?recid=74049&actid=106

Camping
Link Posted: 5/3/2016 11:12:00 PM EDT
[#50]
Sounds to me like we might have to meet up when we all get these silencer thingies
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top