Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 1/4/2016 5:09:16 AM EDT
So I hear a lot about the public land out west.  They can practically pull off the highway and setup a shooting range.  

So can I, for example, drive up a forest service road and find a spot to target practice and be legal?

Specifically looking around the New Castle, Catawba, Paint Bank, Rt. 311 corridor.  I know there is a public range around New Castle....but I have had very bad experiences with unsafe noobs up there

I do plan on joining a local range this year, but I would like an alternate place to go as well for other reasons.
Link Posted: 1/4/2016 9:06:31 AM EDT
[#1]
I use to shoot in remote powerline strips in the NF West of Blacksburg years ago.  Never an issue, but I had very large offsets from anything of potential concern and never   went shooting during the big game hunting season.  Unless someone can point to a specific state law that has come about I believe it's all about safety, being considerate and not junking up a place.

We encourage you to use designated shooting areas or ranges.  However, if you choose to shoot in an undesignated area,  please ensure that your shooting does not damage any facilities or natural resources, disrupt other uses, or endanger public safety, and ensure you remove any targets, wads, shells, brass and other refuse with you when you leave.  Be sure your shooting target area is free of rocks, as wildfires have resulting from sparks from ricochets.  Be responsible for your action and follow outdoor ethics, in other words always, Leave No Trace  and Tread Lightly! on federal lands.
View Quote

National Forests

ETA:  I don't think state law has any say in the NF lands but the fed does say check with the state, so perhaps a legal guru can clarify if there is anything more to check on.
Link Posted: 1/4/2016 4:29:11 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
So I hear a lot about the public land out west.  They can practically pull off the highway and setup a shooting range.  

So can I, for example, drive up a forest service road and find a spot to target practice and be legal?

Specifically looking around the New Castle, Catawba, Paint Bank, Rt. 311 corridor.  I know there is a public range around New Castle....but I have had very bad experiences with unsafe noobs up there

I do plan on joining a local range this year, but I would like an alternate place to go as well for other reasons.
View Quote

Short answer is No.

The only shooting that can take place in the National Forests in Virginia is if you are hunting (during hunting season) or if you are at one of the public shooting ranges that are located in the forests.

Here is a link: http://law.lis.virginia.gov/admincode/title4/agency15/chapter40/section60/

An argument might be made that target shooting would be OK as long as you had a hunting license during hunting season but I have never heard of anyone doing this.
Link Posted: 1/4/2016 4:31:23 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I use to shoot in remote powerline strips in the NF West of Blacksburg years ago.  Never an issue, but I had very large offsets from anything of potential concern and never   went shooting during the big game hunting season.  Unless someone can point to a specific state law that has come about I believe it's all about safety, being considerate and not junking up a place.

National Forests

ETA:  I don't think state law has any say in the NF lands but the fed does say check with the state, so perhaps a legal guru can clarify if there is anything more to check on.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

We encourage you to use designated shooting areas or ranges.  However, if you choose to shoot in an undesignated area,  please ensure that your shooting does not damage any facilities or natural resources, disrupt other uses, or endanger public safety, and ensure you remove any targets, wads, shells, brass and other refuse with you when you leave.  Be sure your shooting target area is free of rocks, as wildfires have resulting from sparks from ricochets.  Be responsible for your action and follow outdoor ethics, in other words always, Leave No Trace  and Tread Lightly! on federal lands.

National Forests

In the case of Virginia, we do have state laws covering this. See the link in my post above.
Link Posted: 1/4/2016 4:46:43 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

In the case of Virginia, we do have state laws covering this. See the link in my post above.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

National Forests

Thanks.  Not sure if it was illegal or not then, but 15yrs ago, nobody cared....I remember talking to a warden after a shooting session.  So outside of the hunting season a person cannot carry in the NF?  I know that is still largely ignored.
Link Posted: 1/4/2016 5:08:44 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

Thanks.  Not sure if it was illegal or not then, but 15yrs ago, nobody cared....I remember talking to a warden after a shooting session.  So outside of the hunting season a person cannot carry in the NF?  I know that is still largely ignored.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

National Forests

Wrong - since 2011 or so federal national forests are legal carry zones. The no guns signs you see in SNF for example are BS. You can never hunt in SNF though, for example.
Link Posted: 1/4/2016 5:42:24 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

Wrong - since 2011 or so federal national forests are legal carry zones. The no guns signs you see in SNF for example are BS. You can never hunt in SNF though, for example.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

National Forests

Ok, help me here.....the Fed says we can target shoot pretty much anywhere in their NF, but Virginia says this:   Department-owned lands west of the Blue Ridge Mountains and national forest lands statewide. It shall be unlawful to have in possession a bow, crossbow, or any firearm that is not unloaded and cased or dismantled on all national forest lands statewide and on department-owned lands and on other lands managed by the department under cooperative agreement located in counties west of the Blue Ridge Mountains except during the period when it is lawful to take bear, deer, grouse, pheasant, quail, rabbit, raccoon, squirrel, turkey, or waterfowl on these lands.
which seems pretty clear they don't want carry outside of the hunting season.  Is this not the State saying you can't do something that the Fed says you can do on federal land?  I recall one of GWB's last notable deeds was authorizing carry on Federal forests, but I don't recall that including state lands and until now didn't know the State has some form of carry/shooting restriction on federal forests.  It's confusing and doesn't really seem enforced.  Does SNF = Shenandoah National Park?
Link Posted: 1/4/2016 5:43:13 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

National Forests

Not exactly. Read the link above, which is state law not federal law. The only way you can carry in a national forest (outside of one of the ranges) is with a concealed handgun permit or during hunting season with a hunting license.

Also what is SNF? If you mean Shenandoah National Forest then that is not a place. Shenandoah is a National Park and is under the Department of Interior. The National Forests are under the Department of Agriculture. The state law I linked above has absolutely nothing to do with Shenandoah it only applies to State owned lands and the National Forests.
Link Posted: 1/4/2016 5:52:30 PM EDT
[#8]

Ok, help me here.....the Fed says we can target shoot pretty much anywhere in their NF, but Virginia says this:   Department-owned lands west of the Blue Ridge Mountains and national forest lands statewide. It shall be unlawful to have in possession a bow, crossbow, or any firearm that is not unloaded and cased or dismantled on all national forest lands statewide and on department-owned lands and on other lands managed by the department under cooperative agreement located in counties west of the Blue Ridge Mountains except during the period when it is lawful to take bear, deer, grouse, pheasant, quail, rabbit, raccoon, squirrel, turkey, or waterfowl on these lands.
which seems pretty clear they don't want carry outside of the hunting season.  Is this not the State saying you can't do something that the Fed says you can do on federal land?  I recall one of GWB's last notable deeds was authorizing carry on Federal forests, but I don't recall that including state lands and until now didn't know the State has some form of carry/shooting restriction on federal forests.  It's confusing and doesn't really seem enforced.  Does SNF = Shenandoah National Park?
View Quote

There is a concealed carry exemption in a paragraph at that link. I would quote it but I am on an awful phone at the moment. In VA with a chp you can carry in National Parks and National Forests - but please note that those are completely seperate entities and have seperate laws and rules governing them - I have noticed that many people think they are the same.

ETA: The law you guys are talking about that repealed the (Federal) carry prohibition on federal lands only applied to National Park Lands and National Wildlife Refuge lands. The National Forests are neither. Carry in Forests AFAIK has never been prohibited federally. The text of that law btw is section 512 of the Credit Card Accountability, Responsibility, and Disclosure act of 2009.
Link Posted: 1/4/2016 6:38:33 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

Short answer is No.

The only shooting that can take place in the National Forests in Virginia is if you are hunting (during hunting season) or if you are at one of the public shooting ranges that are located in the forests.

Here is a link: http://law.lis.virginia.gov/admincode/title4/agency15/chapter40/section60/

An argument might be made that target shooting would be OK as long as you had a hunting license during hunting season but I have never heard of anyone doing this.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Short answer is No.

Well shit

Thanks

Reading through that, I do think it's possible to go shooting during hunting season.  I would not go during big game however...
I need to find a game warden and see if he can find a law against it....
Link Posted: 1/4/2016 7:09:21 PM EDT
[#10]
IIRC hunting season for "non-game species" is pretty much year-round in VA.

Starlings, crows, etc.

No hunting of any sort on Sunday.
Link Posted: 1/4/2016 7:55:24 PM EDT
[#11]

http://www.dgif.virginia.gov/hunting/shootingranges.asp

In the National Forest you can only target shoot at the ranges.The only time you can shoot in other areas while in the NF are while hunting.
Link Posted: 1/4/2016 8:04:35 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
IIRC hunting season for "non-game species" is pretty much year-round in VA.

Starlings, crows, etc.

No hunting of any sort on Sunday.
View Quote

In my above link they list the animals that can be hunted by name. All are game animals.

Sunday hunting has been generally allowed since 2014 on private lands with the owner's permission (no dogs though).
Link Posted: 1/5/2016 12:17:20 AM EDT
[#13]
Yes, but "non-game species" are not protected whatsoever.

Unless something has changed, you can legally hunt English sparrows and starlings with UNLIMITED bag limits year round in Virginia.

I think there are a few months in there where you can't hunt crows. IIRC its roughly a 2-month period.

You have to look for the DGIF regs for "non-game species."
These are essentially varmints/pests. Try to kill them all. You'll never make even a dent.
Link Posted: 1/5/2016 12:22:41 AM EDT
[#14]
In this world of PC everything, it is refreshing to see that DGIF has simply called a spade a spade.

The pests that used to be called "non-game species," they now simply call "nuisance species."

http://www.dgif.virginia.gov/hunting/regulations/definitions.asp

Nuisance Species
The following animals: house mouse, Norway rat, black rat, coyote, groundhog, nutria, feral hog, European starling, English sparrow, mute swan, and pigeon (rock dove) are designated as nuisance species and may be taken at any time by use of a firearm or other weapon (unless prohibited by local ordinances) and on some public lands during certain time periods (see National Forest-Game Department Regulations).
View Quote
Link Posted: 1/5/2016 12:28:34 AM EDT
[#15]
Near as I can tell, the only extra element imposed by the "see National Forest regulations" is the requirement that you buy the "National Forest Stamp" (price is $4) if you want to hunt rats, sparrows, grounhogs, feral hogs, etc. year-round in the National Forest.

http://www.dgif.virginia.gov/hunting/regulations/licenses.asp#what-license
Link Posted: 1/5/2016 10:05:06 AM EDT
[#16]
OP, as you can see everything is so convoluted.  Simply shooting in a forest has so many different conditions, understandings and enforcement or lack thereof.  I recommend having the $4 dollar stamp and contacting a state game warden local to your shooting area.  It's a little weird that a federal warden wouldn't prohibit your shooting session in  the national forests, but the VDGIF might. My NF shooting experiences may no longer be the case.  Whatever you do, I would recommend against target shooting in the NF during the big game season, even though it seems like that may be a loophole in this scenario.
Link Posted: 1/5/2016 10:45:23 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
Near as I can tell, the only extra element imposed by the "see National Forest regulations" is the requirement that you buy the "National Forest Stamp" (price is $4) if you want to hunt rats, sparrows, grounhogs, feral hogs, etc. year-round in the National Forest.

http://www.dgif.virginia.gov/hunting/regulations/licenses.asp#what-license
View Quote

Below is the actual state law regarding firearms use in the national forests:

4VAC15-40-60. Hunting with Dogs or Possession of Weapons in Certain Locations During Closed Season.

A. Department-owned lands west of the Blue Ridge Mountains and national forest lands statewide. It shall be unlawful to have in possession a bow, crossbow, or any firearm that is not unloaded and cased or dismantled on all national forest lands statewide and on department-owned lands and on other lands managed by the department under cooperative agreement located in counties west of the Blue Ridge Mountains except during the period when it is lawful to take bear, deer, grouse, pheasant, quail, rabbit, raccoon, squirrel, turkey, or waterfowl on these lands.

B. Department-owned lands east of the Blue Ridge Mountains. It shall be unlawful to have in possession a bow, crossbow, or any firearm that is not unloaded and cased or dismantled on department-owned lands and on other lands managed by the department under cooperative agreement located in the counties east of the Blue Ridge Mountains except during the period when it is lawful to take bear, deer, grouse, pheasant, quail, rabbit, raccoon, squirrel, turkey, waterfowl or migratory gamebirds on these lands.

C. Certain counties. Except as otherwise provided in 4VAC15-40-70, it shall be unlawful to have either a shotgun or a rifle in one's possession when accompanied by a dog in the daytime in the fields, forests or waters of the counties of Augusta, Clarke, Frederick, Page, Shenandoah and Warren, and in the counties east of the Blue Ridge Mountains, except Patrick, at any time except the periods prescribed by law to hunt game birds and animals.

D. Shooting ranges and authorized activities. The provisions of this section shall not prohibit the conduct of any activities authorized by the board or the establishment and operation of archery and shooting ranges on the lands described in subsections A, B and C of this section. The use of firearms, crossbows, and bows in such ranges during the closed season period will be restricted to the area within the established range boundaries. Such weapons shall be required to be unloaded and cased or dismantled in all areas other than the range boundaries. The use of firearms, crossbows, or bows during the closed hunting period in such ranges shall be restricted to target shooting only and no birds or animals shall be molested.

E. It shall be unlawful to chase with a dog or train dogs on national forest lands or department-owned lands except during authorized hunting, chase, or training seasons that specifically permit these activities on these lands or during raccoon hound field trials on these lands between September 1 and March 31, both dates inclusive, that are sanctioned by bona fide national kennel clubs and authorized by permits required and issued by the department and the U.S. Forest Service.

F. It shall be unlawful to possess or transport any loaded firearm, or loaded crossbow in or on any vehicle at any time on national forest lands or department-owned lands.

G. The provisions of this section shall not prohibit the possession, transport and use of loaded firearms by employees of the Department of Game and Inland Fisheries while engaged in the performance of their authorized and official duties, nor shall it prohibit possession and transport of loaded concealed handguns where the individual possesses a concealed handgun permit as defined in § 18.2-308 of the Code of Virginia.

H. Meaning of "possession" of bow, crossbow, or firearm and definition of "loaded crossbow" and "loaded firearm." For the purpose of this section, the word "possession" shall include, but not be limited to, having any bow, crossbow, or firearm in or on one's person, vehicle or conveyance. For the purpose of this section, a "loaded firearm" shall be defined as a firearm in which ammunition is chambered or loaded in the magazine or clip when such magazine or clip is engaged or partially engaged in a firearm. The definition of a loaded muzzleloading firearm will include a muzzleloading firearm that is capped, or has a charged pan, or has a primer or battery installed in the firearm. The definition of a "loaded crossbow" is a crossbow that is cocked and has either a bolt or arrow engaged or partially engaged on the shooting rail or track of the crossbow, or with a "trackless crossbow" when the crossbow is cocked and a bolt or arrow is nocked.

There is no mention of nuisance species at all.

However the dgif website does mention hunting crows and groundhogs in the National Forests: http://www.dgif.virginia.gov/hunting/regulations/smallgame.asp

So the whole thing is truly convoluted.
Link Posted: 1/5/2016 2:31:01 PM EDT
[#18]
Think it through logically.

Q; Is it against the law to possess a firearm in the NF?
A: No.

Q: Is it against the law to discharge a firearm in the NF?
A: No... at least so long as you are not doing it in a manner that violates statutory law (i.e. too close to road, across road, too close to certain structures, reckless manner, etc)

Q: Might a game warden accuse you of "hunting" soley on the basis of you possessing a firearm (exception for CHP holders noted) in the NF?
A: Yes.

Q: Will possession of a hunting license and NF stamp protect you from being charged with illegal hunting?
A: Yes.

So, there you have it.
Otherwise, show me a statute or regulation that prohibits discharge of a firearm in the NF, so long as SOMETHING is in season, and it is not Sunday.
Link Posted: 1/5/2016 9:47:47 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

http://www.dgif.virginia.gov/hunting/shootingranges.asp

In the National Forest you can only target shoot at the ranges.The only time you can shoot in other areas while in the NF are while hunting.
View Quote

This link is the correct one. It clearly reads at the bottom, discharging a firearm for target practice at a range only.
Link Posted: 1/5/2016 10:39:20 PM EDT
[#20]
I got to tell you, I've no desire to see our National Forests looking like BLM land.

One of the few free outdoor pleasures left to those where urban sprawl has overtaken them is to go to the GWNF and a sure as God made little green apples this is what it would look like in short order. Just think of a junk pile like it at every place Cletus has access to in the NF.  

I got tired of having to kiss ass to shoot/hunt so went out and bought my own range/hunting/fishing property.

The extra payment sorta hurt at the time but it's long paid off now. I suggest you do the same, join a range, or lobby for a NF public range near you.

Flame on.
Link Posted: 1/6/2016 2:56:40 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
I got to tell you, I've no desire to see our National Forests looking like BLM land.

One of the few free outdoor pleasures left to those where urban sprawl has overtaken them is to go to the GWNF and a sure as God made little green apples this is what it would look like in short order. Just think of a junk pile like it at every place Cletus has access to in the NF.  

http://main.abqjournal.netdna-cdn.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/01/a01_jd_27jan_up1.jpg

I got tired of having to kiss ass to shoot/hunt so went out and bought my own range/hunting/fishing property.

The extra payment sorta hurt at the time but it's long paid off now. I suggest you do the same, join a range, or lobby for a NF public range near you.

Flame on.
View Quote

No flame necessary - everything you said is correct.  And that's what The Cove used to look like.  

I just want to shoot some nuisance animals, and trying to figure out when/where is giving me a headache.  I'd buy my own land, but spending $50k a year on my PhD isn't exactly keeping my coffers full.
Link Posted: 1/6/2016 5:02:07 PM EDT
[#22]
I keep looking for some land up near Amherst/Nelson/Albemarle I love it up that way and go camping up there in the GW forest several times a year but I dont think I would like the cold and snow of winter.

10+ acres would be lovely.
Link Posted: 1/6/2016 8:17:11 PM EDT
[#23]
I suppose they could  cite you for "damaging a natural feature."
http://www.ecfr.gov/cgi-bin/text-idx?SID=1bb00122af2b713b3eab2dfec442614f&mc=true&node=se36.2.261_19&rgn=div8

Probably a stretch to prove damage if you are careful about selecting a backstop.
Link Posted: 1/6/2016 8:18:54 PM EDT
[#24]
Link Posted: 1/6/2016 8:21:23 PM EDT
[#25]
Having noted that, I can remember shooting in the NF time and time again in non-designated range areas.
Maybe I just never "got caught."
Link Posted: 1/6/2016 8:47:20 PM EDT
[#26]

Quoted:

I keep looking for some land up near Amherst/Nelson/Albemarle I love it up that way and go camping up there in the GW forest several times a year but I dont think I would like the cold and snow of winter.

10+ acres would be lovely.
View Quote
I found 19 acres w/ a cabin in Amherst.Took me a few years to find it.keep checking Land watch,craigslist.I worked w/ Monty at Century 21 in Amherst.Pretty area and a lot to do in the surrounding area.I don't plan on going down when there is a lot of snow on the ground,don't think I can make it up the mountain.

Link Posted: 1/7/2016 8:56:40 AM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

No flame necessary - everything you said is correct.  And that's what The Cove used to look like.  

I just want to shoot some nuisance animals, and trying to figure out when/where is giving me a headache.  I'd buy my own land, but spending $50k a year on my PhD isn't exactly keeping my coffers full.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

http://main.abqjournal.netdna-cdn.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/01/a01_jd_27jan_up1.jpg

Flame on.

I was well into my 40s before I could sorta afford it. I got lucky and a guy I knew that was going through a bad divorce contacted me about it.

Dad's side of the family owned some land (51 acres) that bordered the GWNF. They wanted to cash-out after their parents passed so they had the timber cut off of it then instead of selling it on the open market they sold it to the NF and they did much better money wise.

Boy, the guy that owned a farm that also bordered it was pissed. He only offered 2/3 of what the NF paid and balked when he was offered it for the same price.  

Sadly I could not afford it at the time or I would have bought it.

I understand that the NF will still by adjoining land for a bit better than market value.
Link Posted: 1/19/2016 4:55:52 AM EDT
[#28]
Thanks for the replies and help.  Looks like it's a no go any way I look at it.
Link Posted: 1/19/2016 5:01:12 AM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

Flame on.
View Quote

I agree with you.  However I am not one of those people who leaves their trash behind.  I HATE those people!
Top Top