This is crucial.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Need to push for the legislature to ammend the onerous transfer provisions of this thing.

won't happen without NRA support.

amending within 2 years requires 2/3 majority in both houses. after 2 years its simple majority.

Don't give up, keep it a constant part of the conversation.
If the resistance dies down they will assume capitulation and acceptance of the new status quo.

This is crucial.

I agree they have won a battle but not the war. The  Secretary of State website has some interesting information. Also the voter turnout in No 594 Counties was decent Voter Turnout Personally I am going to try to get the word out better to people I know who are pro-gun next time. I found out a few people voted Yes but didn’t read the initiative.
Link Posted: 11/5/2014 3:33:36 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:

amending within 2 years requires 2/3 majority in both houstes. after 2 years its simple majority.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Need to push for the legislature to ammend the onerous transfer provisions of this thing.

amending within 2 years requires 2/3 majority in both houstes. after 2 years its simple majority.

How big of a role did the NRA play in the SBR and supressor changes?
(Serious question. Not trying to be a sarcastic.)

Also, we should start thinking about tactics if they ram a mag ban through next.  (Besides moving)

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 11/5/2014 3:40:23 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
So, if I'm flying out to Texas for a hog hunt, how do I transfer my firearms to the TSA without running afoul of 594?
That transfer happens on the non-sterile State controlled side of the airport.
And upon my return, how do I transfer the firearms back to my custody?
View Quote

I'd be down for a test run

In all seriousness someone might have to take one for the team to point out how blatantly ridiculous this law is
Link Posted: 11/5/2014 4:10:47 PM EDT
[#4]
You can still buy a crossbow and some mean broadheads on amazon prime though

IT'S A LOOPHOLE
Link Posted: 11/5/2014 4:22:23 PM EDT
[#5]
Forgive my ignorance but doesn't this still need to be signed by the governor? What's the likelihood he doesn't sign it into law?
Link Posted: 11/5/2014 4:28:07 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
Forgive my ignorance but doesn't this still need to be signed by the governor? What's the likelihood he doesn't sign it into law?
View Quote

No, it already went through the legislative process for initiatives so it's a done deal.

Link Posted: 11/5/2014 4:43:39 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
How big of a role did the NRA play in the SBR and supressor changes?
(Serious question. Not trying to be a sarcastic.)
View Quote

None. Zip. Nada.

In fact we didn't want them involved because of the negative attention they would have brought.
Link Posted: 11/5/2014 4:57:09 PM EDT
[#8]
If you guys are curious how some "pro-2A" feel about 594 and happen to be on reddit, just check out some of the responses in the WA_guns subreddit:

http://www.reddit.com/r/WA_guns/comments/2lbdtc/i591_i594_elections_results_thread/

Fucking pathetic. People voting no on 591 and actually defending 594. Bitching about the NRA and how they don't support them, yet they better help with the lawsuit.

WA is a lost cause.

Link Posted: 11/5/2014 5:03:51 PM EDT
[#9]
So wouldn't it be possible to get an initiative on the ballot that addresses the more Nazi provisions of this bill? Something more intelligently worded than 591 was?
Link Posted: 11/5/2014 5:08:56 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:

If you guys are curious how some "pro-2A" feel about 594 and happen to be on reddit, just check out some of the responses in the WA_guns subreddit:

http://www.reddit.com/r/WA_guns/comments/2lbdtc/i591_i594_elections_results_thread/

Fucking pathetic. People voting no on 591 and actually defending 594. Bitching about the NRA and how they don't support them, yet they better help with the lawsuit.

WA is a lost cause.

View Quote
It's pretty similar to Amateur (Ham) radio. While gun ownership is pretty high,  I think the shooting sports in general are dying a slow death. You'll always have the Fudds and the once a year hunt. There are a lot of people who buy a gun because they think a zombie apocalypse is coming but never really get into it. You know these people. The ones with a Mossberg 500 Persuader with the pistol grip and a box of slugs. I don't know how we fix it.

Link Posted: 11/5/2014 5:45:33 PM EDT
[#11]
My Dad always said to "Vote" with my money.  Anyone who backed the "Yes on I-594" with money that has a business will not see a Dime from me ever or use there products/software/aps etc.  
Did Apple support I-594?   Or Google?
Link Posted: 11/5/2014 6:07:20 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
My Dad always said to "Vote" with my money.  Anyone who backed the "Yes on I-594" with money that has a business will not see a Dime from me ever or use there products/software/aps etc.  
Did Apple support I-594?   Or Google?
View Quote

"Microsoft" for sure
Link Posted: 11/5/2014 6:16:45 PM EDT
[#13]
Are there any of these valid for a law suit against 594:
1. Single subject "restriction" on initiatives, since 594 deals with sales and transfers, for example
2. Any equal protection issues?
3. Any ambiguous/vague/overly broad things that make enforcement/prosecution of the law open for abuse/selective enforcement?

I will support the public disobedience of the law ala the CO folks who handed mags in a circle near the CO gov't buildings.
I think openly demonstrating how stupid this law is with regards to transfers is the only way the media will cover this correctly.  Is it legally possible (well, save for 594) to hand a bolt action or break action firearm in a circle anywhere in Olympia or Seattle?
Link Posted: 11/5/2014 6:33:04 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
1. Single subject "restriction" on initiatives, since 594 deals with sales and transfers, for example
3. Any ambiguous/vague/overly broad things that make enforcement/prosecution of the law open for abuse/selective enforcement?

I will support the public disobedience of the law ala the CO folks who handed mags in a circle near the CO gov't buildings.
I think openly demonstrating how stupid this law is with regards to transfers is the only way the media will cover this correctly.  Is it legally possible (well, save for 594) to hand a bolt action or break action firearm in a circle anywhere in Olympia or Seattle?
View Quote

3 could very well apply here, but does someone need to actually be charged in a test case?

Link Posted: 11/5/2014 6:34:43 PM EDT
[#15]
So lets say someone attacks me a pulls a gun.
I wrestle with them and take the gun away.
Am I now in violation of 594 for transferring the gun without a background check?
Link Posted: 11/5/2014 6:36:16 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
You can still buy a crossbow and some mean broadheads on amazon prime though

IT'S A LOOPHOLE
View Quote

And I can mail order a muzzle loader right to my house!
Link Posted: 11/5/2014 6:42:19 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
Am I now in violation of 594 for transferring the gun without a background check?
View Quote

Oddly, that may fall under the exception for imminent self defense, although the attacker is the one transferring it to you it doesn't say he has to do so willingly

(c) A temporary transfer of possession of a firearm if such
transfer is necessary to prevent imminent death or great bodily harm
to the person to whom the firearm is transferred if:
(i) The temporary transfer only lasts as long as immediately
necessary to prevent such imminent death or great bodily harm; and
(ii) The person to whom the firearm is transferred is not
prohibited from possessing firearms under state or federal law;

I think they've screwed themselves with the complexity of the exceptions.  For example I think anyone could fall under the following exception with nearly zero effort.  We are all members of the arfcom performance group that re-enacts being free americans with their bill of rights in tact.  We are constantly re-enacting, and never stop.  We have an organized membership on this forum and practice religiously:

(iii) if the temporary transfer occurs and the
transferee's possession of the firearm is exclusively at a lawful
organized competition involving the use of a firearm, or while
participating in or practicing for a performance by an organized group
that uses firearms as a part of the performance;
Link Posted: 11/5/2014 6:51:19 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

Oddly, that may fall under the exception for imminent self defense, although the attacker is the one transferring it to you it doesn't say he has to do so willingly

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Oh, then never mind.
I'm good with it...

Link Posted: 11/5/2014 7:04:05 PM EDT
[#19]
Random question...

So, if a student 18 or younger on public school property (including, but not limited to, buildings, sporting arenas, buses and others), posses a firearm regardless of purpose.

If a school employee manages to get them to hand it over, is the employee now in violation of 594?

The provision for passing a gun to a youth (under 18) only applies to transferring it *to* the youth, and only for hunting/sporting/education type stuff under supervision.  

Link Posted: 11/5/2014 7:15:27 PM EDT
[#20]
Keep coming up with scenarios.

These thought experiments help put the worst provisions of this law into plain language context for the general population and are good examples to use when corresponding with legislators.

Link Posted: 11/5/2014 7:15:30 PM EDT
[#21]
So, if I'm flying out to Texas for a hog hunt, how do I transfer my firearms to the TSA without running afoul of 594?
That transfer happens on the non-sterile State controlled side of the airport.
And upon my return, how do I transfer the firearms back to my custody?
View Quote

There is an exemption about Federal Officials being exempt from the transfer requirements, part 4 section B, so the TSA having custody is fine, but I don't see how claiming your own firearm at the baggage check can be covered by this exemption, since the TSA doesn't have custody of it at that point. Or the airlines getting the bags when the TSA is done with them.
Link Posted: 11/5/2014 8:05:01 PM EDT
[#22]
What of hospitals? I was recently treated for an arm injury (I got in a fight with a table saw. Final score was Table Saw: 1, Me: 0); I normally carry a pocket knife and that night was no exception. With my arm VISIBLY deformed from swelling (I suspected it was fractured) they would not let me past the front door until I struggled to remove the knife despite being in pain and barely able to move my arm. The knife was placed in a locker by a generic security officer - not a WSP, local PD or Sheriff.

Now, if we change knife to gun, and move forward in time to when 594 is in effect, won't I be faced with the decision of either committing a misdemeanor (or felony) AND causing the security officer to do the same, or going without treatment? What happens when I'm on a gurney and unconscious because I was in a car accident and armed when I arrive in the ambulance at the hospital? Won't all of these constitute transfers?
Link Posted: 11/5/2014 8:05:45 PM EDT
[#23]
And so it begins:

http://blogs.seattletimes.com/politicsnorthwest/2014/11/05/i-594-supporters-to-push-for-more-gun-laws-in-olympia/
Link Posted: 11/5/2014 8:14:26 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
And so it begins:

http://blogs.seattletimes.com/politicsnorthwest/2014/11/05/i-594-supporters-to-push-for-more-gun-laws-in-olympia/
View Quote

I'm on a phone.  Would someone hotlink this?

Link Posted: 11/5/2014 8:27:11 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
And so it begins:

made it hot
Link Posted: 11/5/2014 8:41:50 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
What of hospitals? I was recently treated for an arm injury (I got in a fight with a table saw. Final score was Table Saw: 1, Me: 0); I normally carry a pocket knife and that night was no exception. With my arm VISIBLY deformed from swelling (I suspected it was fractured) they would not let me past the front door until I struggled to remove the knife despite being in pain and barely able to move my arm. The knife was placed in a locker by a generic security officer - not a WSP, local PD or Sheriff.

Now, if we change knife to gun, and move forward in time to when 594 is in effect, won't I be faced with the decision of either committing a misdemeanor (or felony) AND causing the security officer to do the same, or going without treatment? What happens when I'm on a gurney and unconscious because I was in a car accident and armed when I arrive in the ambulance at the hospital? Won't all of these constitute transfers?
View Quote

Along these lines, what happens if an officer decides to hang onto your firearm during a stop for "officer safety". Was that an illegal transfer? How about when he gives it back?
Link Posted: 11/5/2014 8:56:16 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

I'm also thinking a big "transfer party" to slam the DOL with pistol forms.  
1.)  I'll get a cheap handgun from one of my suppliers
2.)  I'll have a bound book dedicated to just this one pistol
3.) Get a bunch of us together, and we all start filling out the Pistol Transfer form and 4473.  Maybe have it change hands 5 to 10 times a day, but not often enough to the same person to trigger the Multi handgun form.
4.) Every week, send in 35 to 70 pistol transfer forms for this one pistol to the DOL
5.) Keep it going as long as possible.

In other words, let's bury them in paperwork!  Shit, I think they are already one year behind on entering forms (based on one that round tripped to me because I missed a field.....)
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Time for a little civil disobedience.

I say we go down to Olympia just like we did for the rallies, then continuously "transfer" guns amongst ourselves.  This is yours, that's mine, here take this, can I borrow that...

I'm also thinking a big "transfer party" to slam the DOL with pistol forms.  
1.)  I'll get a cheap handgun from one of my suppliers
2.)  I'll have a bound book dedicated to just this one pistol
3.) Get a bunch of us together, and we all start filling out the Pistol Transfer form and 4473.  Maybe have it change hands 5 to 10 times a day, but not often enough to the same person to trigger the Multi handgun form.
4.) Every week, send in 35 to 70 pistol transfer forms for this one pistol to the DOL
5.) Keep it going as long as possible.

In other words, let's bury them in paperwork!  Shit, I think they are already one year behind on entering forms (based on one that round tripped to me because I missed a field.....)

Update:

I'm calling it Operation Paper Chase.
Davidson's has a cheap 22LR revolver available, it's on my next order ($125 for some Chiappa something or other)
I need to get more PTF's from the state first though.

I'm that is has to come to this, but I look forward to making a mockery of it!
Link Posted: 11/5/2014 9:03:04 PM EDT
[#28]
I don't see the deluge of transfer forms as very visible. The passing of guns back and forth on the Capitol lawn sounds more appealing if the media shows up.

Link Posted: 11/5/2014 9:08:09 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
I don't see the deluge of transfer forms as very visible. The passing of guns back and forth on the Capitol lawn sounds more appealing if the media shows up.

View Quote

Well then, we better Get Jesse too!  

I think we can certainly do both though, and more.

I agree, not terribly visible.  Maybe we video it and post it on YouTube.
Buyer 1: "Hey, let me that revolver?"
FFL: "Wait, let's do the paperwork first"
FFL: "Done, here you go"
Buyer 2: "Ohhh, let me see it!"
FFL: "Wait, let's do the paperwork first"
FFL: "Done, here you go"
Rinse and Repeat

Maybe we can use it with the Legislature to get them motivated to "unfuck" it faster?
Link Posted: 11/5/2014 9:16:17 PM EDT
[#30]
Link Posted: 11/5/2014 9:23:57 PM EDT
[#31]
Don't register shit.
Link Posted: 11/5/2014 9:47:40 PM EDT
[#32]
Sorry to hear this guys.

I read the OP's post and it just kills me how they falsely lead people to believe that online sales don't require a background check.
Link Posted: 11/5/2014 10:32:14 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
Sorry to hear this guys.

I read the OP's post and it just kills me how they falsely lead people to believe that online sales don't require a background check.
View Quote

Or Gunshows - FFLs have to NICS no matter where they sell (gunshow, shop, kitchen table), and WAC requires it for membership and requires WAC membership to buy or sell.

The word transfer was never uttered in the ads, yet is makes up the bulk of the legislation.
Sheep can be manipulated by emotional pleas very easily.

My wife just ran in to one this evening (a Millennial girl of course)
Link Posted: 11/5/2014 10:33:59 PM EDT
[#34]
Link Posted: 11/5/2014 10:58:04 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
I heard something on KOMO radio this morning about Alan Gottlieb possibly filing legislative action against I-594.  I can't specifically remember what the news report said, but it sounded liked at least a slim chance...?  Does this sound familiar to anyone else?
View Quote

Called my representatives today..  They share our concern, frustration, and anger.  They are waiting for legislative action to start.  However, leadership and immediate action is needed by more senior legislators.  Please call your representatives.  The fact that Washington state liberty and freedom was just manipulated and bought with socialist money and lies from the other side of the continent, should not be tolerated.

We need to follow Colorado's lead if we want to stop this, and fix the situation.  Colorado has shown the way out with a grass-roots effort.

Link Posted: 11/6/2014 12:54:17 AM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:

Called my representatives today..  They share our concern, frustration, and anger.  They are waiting for legislative action to start.  However, leadership and immediate action is needed by more senior legislators.  Please call your representatives.  The fact that Washington state liberty and freedom was just manipulated and bought with socialist money and lies from the other side of the continent, should not be tolerated.

We need to follow Colorado's lead if we want to stop this, and fix the situation.  Colorado has shown the way out with a grass-roots effort.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
I heard something on KOMO radio this morning about Alan Gottlieb possibly filing legislative action against I-594.  I can't specifically remember what the news report said, but it sounded liked at least a slim chance...?  Does this sound familiar to anyone else?

Mine will hear from me.
Link Posted: 11/6/2014 12:57:59 AM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Legislative?  I thought that could not happen for two years.  I thought that legal action would be best since it's now shown that they can bypass the legislature.

Quoted:

Where did these qualifiers come from anyway?
Link Posted: 11/6/2014 1:35:30 AM EDT
[#38]
The non compliance rally went from about 20 people saying yes to going to over 3k in just this evening/ night with 30K+ invited.....
If even just 10% turn out that would still be a sizable group...  and I imagine it'll just get larger.
Link Posted: 11/6/2014 1:41:37 AM EDT
[#39]
PM a bro?
Link Posted: 11/6/2014 1:42:56 AM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
The non compliance rally went from about 20 people saying yes to going to over 3k in just this evening/ night with 30K+ invited.....

If even just 10% turn out that would still be a sizable group...  and I imagine it'll just get larger.
View Quote

Details?
Link Posted: 11/6/2014 1:55:52 AM EDT
[#42]
For those of us without Facebook

I Will Not Comply
Saturday, 13 December at 1100 at the Capitol in Olympia

Link Posted: 11/6/2014 2:14:05 AM EDT
[#43]
T shirt design

Front
I Will Not Comply
WA 594 (logo)

Back
“I am free, no matter what rules surround me.
If I find them tolerable, I tolerate them;
if I find them too obnoxious, I break them.
I am free because I know that
I alone am morally responsible for everything I do.”
- Robert A. Heinlein
Link Posted: 11/6/2014 6:34:55 AM EDT
[#44]
Hmmm..

Thinking about it, if we are forced to go through an FFL, then what about the Use Tax?

Do we have to pay Use Tax since WA FFL's are required to collect taxes, whether we have a receipt showing taxes were paid by the original owner of the gun?

Ugh...
Link Posted: 11/6/2014 7:13:27 AM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:

Legislative?  I thought that could not happen for two years.  I thought that legal action would be best since it's now shown that they can bypass the legislature.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

legislative can happen with a 2/3 majority in both houses. would be difficult but possible with NRA support pressuring our representatives.

Quoted:
Quoted:

Where did these qualifiers come from anyway?

you need a WA AG published opinion stating that those are transfers under 594. otherwise, you're going to hand guns around in a circle and LEO will do absolutely nothing. you'll simply hand a PR victory to MDA/WAGR who have been saying all along that "marely handing a gun to someone is not a transfer". and you'll look foolish.

get the WA AG opinion that handing a gun is a transfer. THEN do your civil disobedience. otherwise, your plan with backfire. you'll play right into their hands.
Link Posted: 11/6/2014 10:40:42 AM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:
Hmmm..

Thinking about it, if we are forced to go through an FFL, then what about the Use Tax?

Do we have to pay Use Tax since WA FFL's are required to collect taxes, whether we have a receipt showing taxes were paid by the original owner of the gun?

Ugh...
View Quote

And FFLs can simply refuse to do checks for transfers.  This law does not establish a mechanism to facilitate the checks.
Link Posted: 11/6/2014 10:42:55 AM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:
Hmmm..

Ugh...
View Quote

594 said FFL dealers not to collect SALES tax on private-party transfers, however no mention of Use tax. That is part that scares me. Now they have registry, how many pies will state try putting their fingers in for unpaid use tax on all these new firearm transfers?
Link Posted: 11/6/2014 11:42:39 AM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:
you need a WA AG published opinion stating that those are transfers under 594. otherwise, you're going to hand guns around in a circle and LEO will do absolutely nothing. you'll simply hand a PR victory to MDA/WAGR who have been saying all along that "marely handing a gun to someone is not a transfer". and you'll look foolish.

get the WA AG opinion that handing a gun is a transfer. THEN do your civil disobedience. otherwise, your plan with backfire. you'll play right into their hands.
View Quote

So, how do we go about getting that?  Write a letter to the AG?
Link Posted: 11/6/2014 11:45:28 AM EDT
[#49]

Quoted:
And FFLs can simply refuse to do checks for transfers.  This law does not establish a mechanism to facilitate the checks.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Hmmm..

Ugh...

Too bad Many FF:'s are going use this as a windfall if they can.
Norpoints post pissed me off.

Link Posted: 11/6/2014 12:12:39 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Hmmm..

Ugh...

Link?
Page / 15
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top