Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 10
Link Posted: 7/4/2013 11:53:29 AM EDT
[#1]
Quoted:
How the hell can these fucktards charge us to register legally purchased items? This fucking state is beginning to feel like Nazi Germany.

Where is the state charging you (edit to add: outside the cost of a postage stamp) to register assault weapons or large capacity magazines?

post reworded
Link Posted: 7/4/2013 12:51:43 PM EDT
[#2]
Perhaps due the affidavit route and it being notarized.  (I'm guessing it will have to be notarized )
One for each AW and one for all mags = expensive, unless you have receipts for everything you have
Link Posted: 7/4/2013 1:08:55 PM EDT
[#3]
Why would notary be expensive? Usually a person's bank or business if its big enough will have a notary. I get them done for free at my bank.
Link Posted: 7/4/2013 1:30:20 PM EDT
[#4]
i know Marie at delta arsenal is a notary, not sure what she charges though

good excuse to go to a gun store though
Link Posted: 7/4/2013 1:36:46 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
Why would notary be expensive? Usually a person's bank or business if its big enough will have a notary. I get them done for free at my bank.

Was just thinking if have 10-15 AW's to register, it could. Seems you need one for each form. Not for mags though.
Good tip on bank. Thanks. I will try mine and see if it's free.
Link Posted: 7/4/2013 1:41:54 PM EDT
[#6]
Also check your local library, sometimes they have a notary on hand or available on certain days for those of limited financial means (and who belong to the library).  

I figure that if worst comes to worst and my bank charges for doing more than a couple of forms that I'll just make several visits over the course of a month and get a few done at a time.

I'm just not all that wild about the notary seeing all the firearms/magazines one would register as they mark the forms though.
Link Posted: 7/4/2013 2:53:12 PM EDT
[#7]
Most town halls have a notary too.. Ledyard does.
Link Posted: 7/4/2013 4:58:20 PM EDT
[#8]
Stafford's town clerk's office has a notary. It is free but they like if you drop a couple bucks into the jar on the counter for some charity.
Link Posted: 7/4/2013 5:46:23 PM EDT
[#9]
So WTF is a sworn affidavit?  A written note that I type up that is notarized?
Link Posted: 7/4/2013 5:53:08 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Stafford's town clerk's office has a notary. It is free but they like if you drop a couple bucks into the jar on the counter for some charity.

Nice to know. Thanks
Link Posted: 7/4/2013 6:38:46 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Most town halls have a notary too.. Ledyard does.

yes I think all town clerks are notaries

I wonder how many people are going to have a new hobby registering fake forms, well worth the small cost in stamps IMHO!
Link Posted: 7/5/2013 3:39:32 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Fuck them! DO NOT COMPLY!!

This is something each person will have to decide for themselves. Its easy to thump one's chest and say "don't comply" from behind a keyboard on the Internet. Much harder to say when your family, job, possible jail time, and loss of your firearms/accessories and 2A rights are on the line. There will be civil disobedience. There will be people who don't know about the new law who won't register.

Like it or not, one is gambling if they choose not to comply. They are gambling that they will never have the police stop them on the way to or from the range. That the police won't stalk the ranges looking for people with registered items. That their wife, girlfriend, significant other, won't rat them out in a fit of anger, jealousy, or during a divorce. That the police won't enter their home at some point for some other reason and find the unregistered items.

Drive like grandma
I've never seen a police officer at a private range uses they were there to shoot
Ratting on an ex makes them an accessory

Keep your stuff in multiple locations

Link Posted: 7/5/2013 3:49:17 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Found this to be interesting reading regarding SSN's and the state's obligations if they are asking for them:

The Privacy Act of 1974 requires all government agencies — federal, state and local — that request SSNs to provide a "disclosure" statement on the form. The statement explains whether you are required to provide your SSN or if it’s optional, how the SSN will be used, and under what statutory or other authority the number is requested (5 USC 552a, note). The U.S. Office of Management and Budget, Office of Information and Regulatory Affairs (OIRA) provides guidance and oversight regarding the Privacy Act of 1974. The text of the Privacy Act can be found at the Web site http://www.justice.gov/opcl/privstat.htm.

The Privacy Act states that you cannot be denied a government benefit or service if you refuse to disclose your SSN unless the disclosure is required by federal law, or the disclosure is to an agency that has been using SSNs before January 1975, when the Privacy Act went into effect. There are other exceptions as well. Read the Code of Federal Regulations section here: http://edocket.access.gpo.gov/cfr_2008/julqtr/28cfr16.53.htm.

I'm sending copies of this info with my forms missing SSN's.

So no ss# is required for a special illegal alien drivers license, nor to vote, but to own a rifle, a constitutionally protected civil right you have to submit your ss#?

How do you police feel about enforcing one set of laws on your neighbors families and friends, while giving special privileges to people who came here and broke the law?

Link Posted: 7/5/2013 4:06:17 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Honestly why is anyone stressing about receipts or DPS forms. Just write up an affidavit that says you purchased
your magazines and firearms on or before 4-4-13 and be done with it.

Lying on a sworn affidavit is pretty much perjury.....

Tread lightly.

You may need to substantiate your million mag collection one day.

Registering my guns is in violation of my civil rights. Shall not be infringed.They're still doing it. They're still breaking the law.
Link Posted: 7/5/2013 4:13:23 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Honestly why is anyone stressing about receipts or DPS forms. Just write up an affidavit that says you purchased

Tread lightly.

Registering my guns is in violation of my civil rights. Shall not be infringed.They're still doing it. They're still breaking the law.

Hey Alaska, if you are not in CT, then butt out.  This is for us to figure out.
Link Posted: 7/5/2013 4:20:32 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Tread lightly.

Hey Alaska, if you are not in CT, then butt out.  This is for us to figure out.

Why don't you butt out? who are you?The Daniel Malloy of AR.15.com? I'm free to post where I like. It was a valid statement that I made.

Link Posted: 7/5/2013 6:12:23 AM EDT
[#17]
To get back on topic do we know where we are regarding the lawsuit?

Also has anyone contacted the state regarding the issue about requiring ss#? If not I can contact them next week.
Link Posted: 7/5/2013 6:17:21 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

Also has anyone contacted the state regarding the issue about requiring ss#? If not I can contact them next week.

I'm tempted to write in "ON FILE" because I put it on my permit app & my renewal letter states "SSN ON FILE"

I'm also curious as to whether or not you could use your pistol permit # on that form where it says "operator license number" -- We are all "Tier 1 Operators" right?
Link Posted: 7/5/2013 6:33:58 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
Quoted:

I'm tempted to write in "ON FILE" because I put it on my permit app & my renewal letter states "SSN ON FILE"

I'm also curious as to whether or not you could use your pistol permit # on that form where it says "operator license number" -- We are all "Tier 1 Operators" right?

I have so many questions
A). Do my pre-ban lowers need to be registered.I heard the pre-94 firearms do not need to be?
B).The SSN# thing does not sit right with me,I am tempted to put my permit # on this instead of my SSN#.
C).Can firearms deemed "Assault Weapons" now be re-configured with all the goody features now?
D).Should I declare the magazines that I have outside of the state as well?I am leaning towards yes on this
Link Posted: 7/5/2013 6:45:51 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Most likely, the clerks they hire to mindlessly transcribe the information into the database will just mindlessly enter in whatever number you put in that field.  Before it even happens I can see right away people are going to mistakenly put their permit number in that field rather than their motor vehice license number anyway.

Seriously, just when you think this whole thing couldn't get any more idiotic.  It's like that story of Kind Midas, except in this case everything the state touches becomes retarded.
Link Posted: 7/5/2013 7:00:41 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I have so many questions
A). Do my pre-ban lowers need to be registered.I heard the pre-94 firearms do not need to be?
B).The SSN# thing does not sit right with me,I am tempted to put my permit # on this instead of my SSN#.
C).Can firearms deemed "Assault Weapons" now be re-configured with all the goody features now?
D).Should I declare the magazines that I have outside of the state as well?I am leaning towards yes on this

a) Personally, I would register it.  Otherwise you will be prohibited from adding any AW accessories, which is pretty mandatory for an AR-15 lower
b) the state already has all your personal information from your address, the type of gun you have, as well as your thumb print.  That doesn't even include how much you earn and all your personal medical records.  I think it's a little late to be concerned about giving out your SSN.
c) yes, the DESPP told me personally that once it's registered as an AW it doesn't make it any more of an AW by adding additionalo features.
d) Personal, I would say yes.  I myself am declaring every magazine that is considered my property, including the magazines that were stolen a few years back and which are still missing.  By law they are still my legal property and they were lawfully purchased before the ban, and if by some miracle they turn up I want to make sure I can get them back.  It's yet another loophole gun control proponents created by their cluelessness.
Link Posted: 7/5/2013 7:18:56 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I have so many questions

a) Personally, I would register it.  Otherwise you will be prohibited from adding any AW accessories, which is pretty mandatory for an AR-15 lower
b) the state already has all your personal information from your address, the type of gun you have, as well as your thumb print.  That doesn't even include how much you earn and all your personal medical records.  I think it's a little late to be concerned about giving out your SSN.
c) yes, the DESPP told me personally that once it's registered as an AW it doesn't make it any more of an AW by adding additionalo features.
d) Personal, I would say yes.  I myself am declaring every magazine that is considered my property, including the magazines that were stolen a few years back and which are still missing.  By law they are still my legal property and they were lawfully purchased before the ban, and if by some miracle they turn up I want to make sure I can get them back.  It's yet another loophole gun control proponents created by their cluelessness.

This

The magazine form doesnt require a notary (unless I missed the boat completely)
Plus quite frankly as others have said, I have too much to lose fiddlefucking around with deciding what info I put where and on what paperwork. Im not trying to end up tossing someones salad because of some bs law. For me it seems best to just register what I has.
FWIW the bank where you belong to can notarize as previously mentioned. I went that route for my permit app.

Link Posted: 7/5/2013 8:23:39 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
Nauseating yes.

Everything in life is a choice.  Choose to comply with tyrannical nonsense or don't.

+1

Remember, fellas, dozens of legislators have gone on record saying they intend to revisit the law to remove grandfathering.

Remember that.
Link Posted: 7/5/2013 8:34:37 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Nauseating yes.

Everything in life is a choice.  Choose to comply with tyrannical nonsense or don't.

+1

Remember, fellas, dozens of legislators have gone on record saying they intend to revisit the law to remove grandfathering.

Remember that.

So,if you don't register them, you can never take them out of your house without looking over your shoulder, or wondering who will rat you out.

If you register them, then they know who has what, and will come after them later.  In the meantime, you can still shoot them without worries.

If you register them, and then next year see that a bill has got out of committee to do away with grandfathering and requires confiscation, move the weapons out of state.  Then you probably can't shoot them anymore, until you move out of state.

On the other hand, if they never get to confiscation, or not until 10 years from now, and you don't register them - see above.
Link Posted: 7/5/2013 8:35:53 AM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Can someone do a sample sworn affidavit that some of us could use?

To the cock sucker  it may concern:

I  , Mr. Go fuck yourself, declare the said standard capacity magazines listed below  were purchased prior to and in my possession legally before Ol' Dannel Boys stupid fucking laws took effect!

List of items in possession:

AR15/223 30 round magazines
Total of none of your fucking business

AR15/223 20 round magazines
Total of go fuck yourself

AK 74 30 round Magazines
Total of what difference does it fucking make?

Ruger 10/22 25 round magazines
Total of 3 trillion...

Glock 20 17 round magazines:
Total of see 1-4 you communist fucks!

Signed

Notary?

Don't give me any ideas. Now I'm going to seriously consider something like this. That's all they're going to get from me. It's time to fucking take a stand, gentlemen.
Link Posted: 7/5/2013 8:42:18 AM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Someone mentioned spraying the forms with perfume. I prefer to do it with skunk, deer piss or liquid ass.

Stink palm

I hope no one goes the odor route, they will call in hazmat and send a couple people to the hospital for good measure.
The news will be wall to wall "Terrorist gun owners" try to poison someone.
As far a trying to be a d*ck with multiple forms ,maybe they will enjoy the O.T. but I wouldn't wait until the last minute cause they can reject the forms for some BS (bad fingerprint or such)and leave you in a world of hurt trying to get guns and mags certified after Jan 1st.
Then again these are my thoughts and in no way meant to suggest you can't have a differing view.

Whatever you do, don't wipe your sweaty ass with the forms before you send them. That would be bad.
Link Posted: 7/5/2013 8:49:18 AM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Nauseating yes.

+1

Remember that.

I always shudder at the thought that sooner or later some innocent person is going to get killed over this gun control bullsh*t.  It'll either be an otherwise law abiding gun owner who'll be shot and killed during a government gun roundup because he dared to say "no", or an otherwise honorable police officer who was shot and killed by someone screaming MOLON LABE because he was only following orders.  Both of them will equally be the victims of those utterly clueless legislators who can't understand what their actions might lead to.  It's like those government agents who were killed while hunting down bootleggers during prohibition, only to have prohibition repealed ten years later.  What did they die for in the end other than to satify some douchebag politician's personal agenda while he was in office?????

I think it goes without saying we need to do all we can do peacefully to make sure it never comes to that.  We need to get more pro-2A people elected to vote those utterly clueless legislators down, or beter yet, work to get the utterly clueless legislators out.  Simply electing a pro gun governor would stop most of it right there.  There's no other way around it.

Link Posted: 7/5/2013 9:15:14 AM EDT
[#28]
I went down to the Webster Bank in Scitico plaza.  They have two notaries there.  One hates guns.  If anybody wants to piss off a liberal, you know where to go.

I had one AR15 lower test form notarized.  I told them I might have over 100 depending on how the state looks at the mag forum.
Link Posted: 7/5/2013 9:42:28 AM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
I went down to the Webster Bank in Scitico plaza.  They have two notaries there.  One hates guns.  If anybody wants to piss off a liberal, you know where to go.

I had one AR15 lower test form notarized.  I told them I might have over 100 depending on how the state looks at the mag forum.

Remind the Notary her job is to attest to the signature. By law they are not supposed to read the document. They are swearing that the person signing the document is who they say they are.

Link Posted: 7/5/2013 10:10:22 AM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

Check out my latest post on the lawsuit thread.  The plaintiffs filed an amended complaint (adding allegations regarding the recent amendment) and they are awaitiing the defendant's (i.e. the state's) answer, which will most likely come as a motion to dismiss the lawsuit as a matter of law.
Link Posted: 7/5/2013 11:50:28 AM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Check out my latest post on the lawsuit thread.  The plaintiffs filed an amended complaint (adding allegations regarding the recent amendment) and they are awaitiing the defendant's (i.e. the state's) answer, which will most likely come as a motion to dismiss the lawsuit as a matter of law.

Link to the lawsuit thread???
Link Posted: 7/5/2013 12:47:24 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

So do they put  you "under oath", or do you simply say in the affidavit that "I attest and affirm" or some such, and that is considered being "under oath"?

Or is all a notary do is confirm that you are who you say you are?

Link Posted: 7/5/2013 1:03:08 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
Quoted:

So do they put  you "under oath", or do you simply say in the affidavit that "I attest and affirm" or some such, and that is considered being "under oath"?

All a notary does is certify it was you who signed the statement.  You show them your ID, they watch you sign it, and they stamp it with one of those press stamps and sign it themselves certifying it was you who signed it.  That's all.  You could create a document declaring you were Sauron of Mordor and they wouldn't care.  

When I created the trust for my silencer the woman who notarized it didn't bother reading the trust papers to see what it even said.
Link Posted: 7/5/2013 1:24:29 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

All a notary does is certify it was you who signed the statement.  You show them your ID, they watch you sign it, and they stamp it with one of those press stamps and sign it themselves certifying it was you who signed it.  That's all.  You could create a document declaring you were Sauron of Mordor and they wouldn't care.  

When I created the trust for my silencer the woman who notarized it didn't bother reading the trust papers to see what it even said.

They are not supposed to read the documents.

Link Posted: 7/5/2013 2:03:26 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

But you can bet they do. Its damn near impossible for them not to read some of the page simply by the fact they have to look at it to figure out where to put their embossed stamp on it along with their signature (if needed).

Edit to add: Also going on four plus days now with no long gun eligibility certificate nor ammunition certificate application posted.
Link Posted: 7/5/2013 2:37:57 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
Quoted:

But you can bet they do. Its damn near impossible for them not to read some of the page simply by the fact they have to look at it to figure out where to put their embossed stamp on it along with their signature (if needed).

Edit to add: Also going on four plus days now with no long gun eligibility certificate nor ammunition certificate application posted.

Of course they read it.

Once I had a notary argue with me. My wife had a document she translated. She had to make an affidavit that says the translation is accurate and done by a person who speaks the language not a computer etc. The notary says to her " how do I know that is what the document says? I don't read that language.". Luckily I was there or my wife would have been turned away. I had to explain that she did not have to understand it nor should she be reading it. Her job was to notarize the signature.
Link Posted: 7/5/2013 3:40:04 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

So we have to go to a Justice of the Peace or some such and be put under oath?  That would cost $, right?

Link Posted: 7/5/2013 4:34:41 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
So we have to go to a Justice of the Peace or some such and be put under oath?  That would cost $, right?

Generally a sworn affidavit is a statement/document that is witnessed and signed by someone who is legally authorized to administer oaths. Such as a notary. The notary is usually required to put a notary seal on the document that you signed in front of them.

You can usually find a notary at your bank, business if your business is large enough, or at your town hall. It's very possible your bank notary will perform the service for free. I've had several documents (pistol permit and renewals) notarized for free by my bank notary over the years.

Post edited
Link Posted: 7/5/2013 4:55:55 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:

What does she look like? I will be sure to go there with all my class III stuff and make her do all of them and talk about how awesome they are ... The notary in Hartford Webster wouldn't do it but the girl at BOA did them no problem for my trust.
Link Posted: 7/5/2013 5:14:32 PM EDT
[#40]
It was the ugly blonde.  Best way to describe her.

Quoted:
Quoted:

What does she look like? I will be sure to go there with all my class III stuff and make her do all of them and talk about how awesome they are ... The notary in Hartford Webster wouldn't do it but the girl at BOA did them no problem for my trust.

Link Posted: 7/6/2013 4:42:53 AM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
It was the ugly blonde.  Best way to describe her.

Quoted:
Quoted:

Link Posted: 7/6/2013 4:50:58 AM EDT
[#42]
Most won't care about this form but DESPP has put up the FFL Large Capacity Magazine Monthly Report form. FFL's now have to submit monthly reports on large capacity magazine transfers to them even if no transfers are made.

http://www.ct.gov/despp/lib/despp/slfu/firearms/despp-416-c_lcm_declaration.pdf
Link Posted: 7/6/2013 5:32:07 AM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:
Most won't care about this form but DESPP has put up the FFL Large Capacity Magazine Monthly Report form. FFL's now have to submit monthly reports on large capacity magazine transfers to them even if no transfers are made.

http://www.ct.gov/despp/lib/despp/slfu/firearms/despp-416-c_lcm_declaration.pdf

What a joke!.
Link Posted: 7/6/2013 5:58:09 AM EDT
[#44]
Guys, notaries are a dime a dozen.  If one wants to be unprofessional call them a cunt and move on to the next one.

See you next Tuesday you seahag!
Link Posted: 7/6/2013 6:51:13 AM EDT
[#45]
The sworn affidavit for the "magazines purchased before 4/4" have to be notarized?
Link Posted: 7/6/2013 8:28:52 AM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:
Guys, notaries are a dime a dozen.  If one wants to be unprofessional call them a cunt and move on to the next one.

See you next Tuesday you seahag!

This…  

I really think notaries are the least of our problems.
Link Posted: 7/6/2013 8:45:45 AM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:
The sworn affidavit for the "magazines purchased before 4/4" have to be notarized?

Generally, yes a sworn affidavit is one you have witnessed, signed and notarized.
Link Posted: 7/6/2013 8:54:30 AM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

That depends on what YOU ask the notary to do which should be consistent with the type of notarial certificate that is written in to the document to be notarized. If the notarial certificate on your docuemnt is an acknowledgement, then in fact the notary is only certifying that you are the signer of the document. If the notarial certificate that is used is a jurat (typically indicated by the use of the wording subscribed and sworn before me) YOU are attesting to the accuracy of the document, YOU will be administered an oath, and the NOTARY is signing as to indicate that YOU (the signer) swore/attested, under penalty of law, that the contents of the document are true.

The notary should have some idea of the nature of the document that they are signing so that they can correctly record it in their journal. Additionally, it is prudent for the notary to look at the document to avoid assisting in an unlawful transaction or doing something else that would improper/unethical for a notary to do, or which could expose the notary to liability down the road.
Link Posted: 7/6/2013 8:56:50 AM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Using the correct notarial certificate and being administered the oath during the ceremony will be sufficient. You don't need to go find somebody else.
Link Posted: 7/6/2013 8:59:00 AM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Some, particularly bank employees, don't do wills or trusts  because of concerns about potential liability issues.
Page / 10
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top