BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 3
Link Posted: 9/23/2009 4:09:21 AM EDT
[#1]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Did you read the one about different types of current rifles available which could be used in a Hungerford scenario?

Andy.

No. Not really the same though is it ?

Well they were the posts on that thread which have been deleted & the ones I have an issue with.

Andy.
Link Posted: 9/23/2009 4:18:04 AM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Did you read the one about different types of current rifles available which could be used in a Hungerford scenario?

Andy.

Well they were the posts on that thread which have been deleted & the ones I have an issue with.

Andy.

I am sure nothing that has / was posted about Hungerford, has not been studied and planned for by the UK Police and Security Services. Nothing new there.

However, a thread on the 'Unicorn' and questions about it's acceptance by ACPO / Home Office is relevant as people need to be sure that they won't be without a firearm or out of pocket if it gets 'pulled'

I hope it doesn't as I want to try one, and if I like it, perhaps purchase one.  

Link Posted: 9/23/2009 4:30:32 AM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Andy.

Andy.

I am sure nothing that has / was posted about Hungerford, has not been studied and planned for by the UK Police and Security Services. Nothing new there.

However, a thread on the 'Unicorn' and questions about it's acceptance by ACPO / Home Office is relevant as people need to be sure that they won't be without a firearm or out of pocket if it gets 'pulled'

I hope it doesn't as I want to try one, and if I like it, perhaps purchase one.  

I'm not disputing any of that, it just bugs me that some shooters post on open forums to make themselves look clever without thinking who may be reading.

Andy.
Link Posted: 9/23/2009 4:33:02 AM EDT
[#4]
I don't want one. I had one of his Lever Action 9mm, it sat in the safet for two years before I moved it on having never fired it. Just not my thing.
Link Posted: 9/23/2009 4:52:12 AM EDT
[#5]
This talk of whether or not a particular firearm or particular firearm "action" being more or less suitable for crime is pointless.

Its got nothing to do with firearms. Homicidal intent has been around a lot longer than firearms. Even if firearms were not available, an unhinged individual with homicidal intent could kill just as effectively by driving his car at speed down a city centre pavement at rush hour. Or running amok through a crowd with a machette.

As to whether anything said in debate on this forum or another will influence the legislators - I dont think so.

There is only one section one firearm freely available which is causing concern at the moment to many in the anti-firearm world - thats the high capacity shotgun.

Mark my words, the section one shotgun has more chance of being declared "especially dangerous" than the Unicorn.
Link Posted: 9/23/2009 5:43:56 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
This talk of whether or not a particular firearm or particular firearm "action" being more or less suitable for crime is pointless.

Correct

Its got nothing to do with firearms. Homicidal intent has been around a lot longer than firearms. Even if firearms were not available, an unhinged individual with homicidal intent could kill just as effectively by driving his car at speed down a city centre pavement at rush hour. Or running amok through a crowd with a machette.

Correct

As to whether anything said in debate on this forum or another will influence the legislators - I dont think so.

Correct

There is only one section one firearm freely available which is causing concern at the moment to many in the anti-firearm world - thats the high capacity shotgun.

Mark my words, the section one shotgun has more chance of being declared "especially dangerous" than the Unicorn.

Really

The Especially dangerous section of the act is not the point of concern.....
Link Posted: 9/23/2009 5:56:19 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

And what concern would that be........that UKPSA are going to take over the world............

Link Posted: 9/23/2009 5:57:04 AM EDT
[#8]
Which leads back to the whole UKPSA/black rifle debate - which lead to the majority of the posters on this board being banned from airgun bullshit bingo dot com. The UKPSA has worked very hard to destroy the link between timed, high cap shotgun target shooting with anything tactical/military. Which is their prerogative. Personally, I don't see what difference wearing trainers and a t-shirt will make in preventing section 1 shotguns being banned.

With the invention of the Unicorn; there was always going to be debate about the legality of a rifle that was essentially designed to get around firearms legislation brought in following a lunatic going on the rampage. I personally hope that it is successful; as I am sure the vast majority of shooters are. However; it is going to take a little time for all of the constabularies and the HO to see it and make a decision. Somewhere down the line, someone with no knowledge, experience or interest in guns is probably going to question the legality of it.

In my opinion, a debate about the suitability of a firearm for crime is about as pointless as a debate on the benefits of a black sky at night. Criminals have and will continue to acquire firearms outside of any legislation that the government can dream up; regardless of the penalty. Since these people cannot be controlled, the liberal (media included) will look to attack law abiding shooters - as in their book, we are all potential Michael Ryans, all it will take is a bad day at the office for us to go postal. It's pointless trying to avoid debate on this - as you can bet that liberals like the GCN aren't - they won't stop until you have to have a license for a potato gun. What's more, I think that it is highly unlikely that any debate held on a shooting forum is going to make any difference. We are all well aware what is deemed "acceptable conduct" by the powers that be and so if people want to make comments that could land them in trouble; then that it up to them; as long as nothing libelous is said that could land the site owner in trouble.

What appears to have happened here (and I can only go on what has been said on here - as I am one of the "banned of brothers") is that someone has again flexed his e-muscles once a forum has strayed away from it's usual circle jerk conversations about shooting a polar bear at 500 yds with a .17 hmr into some healthy debate.

Link Posted: 9/23/2009 6:11:52 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Which leads back to the whole UKPSA/black rifle debate - which lead to the majority of the posters on this board being banned from airgun bullshit bingo dot com. The UKPSA has worked very hard to destroy the link between timed, high cap shotgun target shooting with anything tactical/military. Which is their prerogative. Personally, I don't see what difference wearing trainers and a t-shirt will make in preventing section 1 shotguns being banned.

With the invention of the Unicorn; there was always going to be debate about the legality of a rifle that was essentially designed to get around firearms legislation brought in following a lunatic going on the rampage. I personally hope that it is successful; as I am sure the vast majority of shooters are. However; it is going to take a little time for all of the constabularies and the HO to see it and make a decision. Somewhere down the line, someone with no knowledge, experience or interest in guns is probably going to question the legality of it.

In my opinion, a debate about the suitability of a firearm for crime is about as pointless as a debate on the benefits of a black sky at night. Criminals have and will continue to acquire firearms outside of any legislation that the government can dream up; regardless of the penalty. Since these people cannot be controlled, the liberal (media included) will look to attack law abiding shooters - as in their book, we are all potential Michael Ryans, all it will take is a bad day at the office for us to go postal. It's pointless trying to avoid debate on this - as you can bet that liberals like the GCN aren't - they won't stop until you have to have a license for a potato gun. What's more, I think that it is highly unlikely that any debate held on a shooting forum is going to make any difference. We are all well aware what is deemed "acceptable conduct" by the powers that be and so if people want to make comments that could land them in trouble; then that it up to them; as long as nothing libelous is said that could land the site owner in trouble.

What appears to have happened here (and I can only go on what has been said on here - as I am one of the "banned of brothers") is that someone has again flexed his e-muscles once a forum has strayed away from it's usual circle jerk conversations about shooting a polar bear at 500 yds with a .17 hmr into some healthy debate.

Link Posted: 9/23/2009 6:16:16 AM EDT
[#10]
It's so true
Link Posted: 9/23/2009 6:32:00 AM EDT
[#11]
Oi, I regularly take part in those debates, thank you very much.

Andy.
Link Posted: 9/23/2009 7:04:30 AM EDT
[#12]
Is it usually a mass-debate...

E.T.A. .....after reading SF's warning at the top of the very first post.........

Any further reports on the 9mm Mr Mousegunner..?.....

Link Posted: 9/23/2009 7:30:51 AM EDT
[#13]

He's not the only who frequents here that has one.
Link Posted: 9/23/2009 7:34:13 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

E.T.A. .....after reading SF's warning at the top of the very first post.........

Not been back up the range yet.

But I did ascertain from FB that should I get the 7am knock and the rifle pulled that he would give me back my money in the event that its declared as being in contravention of the Firearms Act as amended.

Personally I believe that it falls within the current act as a section 1 firearm. The lock back system has been well engineered and the construction seems to be very robust.  Its not a semi and IMHO would take a certain amount of tinkering to become one. Lets face it it would be quicker and easier to saw the barrel /wrist brace of a Taurus LBR. But who the fuck would want to do that.

But having shot it all I can say is that it does not need tinkering with; other than to get the bolt to go forward  when it locks back occasionally
Link Posted: 9/23/2009 8:03:40 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Not been back up the range yet.

But I did ascertain from FB that should I get the 7am knock and the rifle pulled that he would give me back my money in the event that its declared as being in contravention of the Firearms Act as amended.

Personally I believe that it falls within the current act as a section 1 firearm. The lock back system has been well engineered and the construction seems to be very robust.  Its not a semi and IMHO would take a certain amount of tinkering to become one. Lets face it it would be quicker and easier to saw the barrel /wrist brace of a Taurus LBR. But who the fuck would want to do that.

But having shot it all I can say is that it does not need tinkering with; other than to get the bolt to go forward  when it locks back occasionally

Not ACPO
I'll wait a bit longer
Link Posted: 9/23/2009 8:09:38 AM EDT
[#16]
Link Posted: 9/23/2009 8:30:39 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

Not ACPO
I'll wait a bit longer

Paid for it by credit card so should have some protection from them as well

Link Posted: 9/23/2009 8:50:44 AM EDT
[#18]
What other forum, I feel some Baz baiting coming on.
Link Posted: 9/23/2009 9:04:53 AM EDT
[#19]
Link Posted: 9/23/2009 9:44:33 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
Indeed Mr Baz has been flexing his e-muscles over there and has taken a thread that was somewhat in the same vain as this one and censored it to buggery.

I have taken issue with him via IM on another forum on the fact that once again he is not allowing open debate on the merits and legality of this rifle and has instead stated that I am only smarting from being banned from there.

Personally, I thought it was a healthy exchange between some of the posters but Mr B is concerned that someone from the fuzz might read it.
I informed him that they already are
and he has now asked the mod on the other forum to ask me to stop contacting him

...has Baz not heard of the internet?

Link Posted: 9/23/2009 9:50:59 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Indeed Mr Baz has been flexing his e-muscles over there and has taken a thread that was somewhat in the same vain as this one and censored it to buggery.

I have taken issue with him via IM on another forum on the fact that once again he is not allowing open debate on the merits and legality of this rifle and has instead stated that I am only smarting from being banned from there.

Personally, I thought it was a healthy exchange between some of the posters but Mr B is concerned that someone from the fuzz might read it.
and he has now asked the mod on the other forum to ask me to stop contacting him

...has Baz not heard of the internet?

And SB cannot read obviously
Link Posted: 9/23/2009 9:52:41 AM EDT
[#22]
Aha - that explains why there is no mention of the lever release rifle on the SGC magazine adverts. In case any plod read those magazines.

Link Posted: 9/23/2009 11:29:24 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

That's precisely why I stear clear of that forum.  That idiot Baz is off his rocker and he's part of the problem, not the solution.......  So what if the Police read it?  Perhaps they should be welcomed into healthy and open debate, cos that's how issues get resolved......... lock out the regulator from our discussions and all you do is breed mistrust, become some sort of bullshit schoolboy secret society incapable of engaging and working with the regulator and as a result lose out because they think you are hiding something.

I was talking to an FLO the other week about it and he said (unprompted) that the utter bloody nonsense talked on Airgun BS was quite startling.  It's clear that half the people posting haven't got a clue and those that do have half an Idea like that Neil chappie lead the other plebs on a merry dance to the bullshit song.

As for the value of the site, there really isn't any.  If you can't have open dabate without the Baztapo getting bent out of shape and going full retard with the ban hammer then what's the point???

I'm quite happy with ARFCOM and it's cynical, ironic sense of humour, and favour the Moderator Lite version of free speech.

As for the Unicorn - it's new, it's a variation on a theme and all the paranoid icrap s getting a bit old.  I wondered if it would ever come to fruition and it has. As far as I'm concerned it's an innovative design and good luck to FB and his customers.
Link Posted: 9/23/2009 12:04:07 PM EDT
[#24]
o , I just heard the word  "Baz" and have to tag this for more fun

the utter bloody nonsense talked on Airgun BS was quite startling

a winner I think we have

it is funny that all of the members on this site never try to hide what we think and know that if it was looked at by the plod none of it would be looked at in a bad light , but with all the edits over on the bs site you could not say the same .

funny old world

john

edit to say somthing about the gun. .

urmm , looks nice

Link Posted: 9/23/2009 12:32:35 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
Quoted:

That's precisely why I stear clear of that forum.  That idiot Baz is off his rocker and he's part of the problem, not the solution.......  So what if the Police read it?  Perhaps they should be welcomed into healthy and open debate, cos that's how issues get resolved......... lock out the regulator from our discussions and all you do is breed mistrust, become some sort of bullshit schoolboy secret society incapable of engaging and working with the regulator and as a result lose out because they think you are hiding something. So true and I accept it cuts both ways. Granted I am a shooter so on these matters does it make me bias or open-minded? I leave others to judge that. Following the bans the police largely disengaged from the shooting community at large, partly because shooters wrongly blamed mainstream Police officers for their losses, so individuals got fed up with being whined at and left their clubs or only shot in 'police circles' and the Police organisation in a bid to appease government and media hype frowned upon it's members being shooters. Thus the bonds were broken. As an aside did you know that up until the pistol ban the Met ran clubs where non-police members were welcome and officers were encouraged to participate as it supplemented their inadequate training? Yet the Police today are happy to connect and 'network' with drug users, sex offenders and other criminals, but still largely shy away from a healthy relationship and exchange with people that they have licensed as trustworthy to possess firearms. I find it quite bizarre.I was talking to an FLO the other week about it and he said (unprompted) that the utter bloody nonsense talked on Airgun BS was quite startling.  It's clear that half the people posting haven't got a clue and those that do have half an Idea like that Neil chappie lead the other plebs on a merry dance to the bullshit song.

As for the value of the site, there really isn't any.  If you can't have open dabate without the Baztapo getting bent out of shape and going full retard with the ban hammer then what's the point???

I'm quite happy with ARFCOM and it's cynical, ironic sense of humour, and favour the Moderator Lite version of free speech.

As for the Unicorn - it's new, it's a variation on a theme and all the paranoid icrap s getting a bit old.  I wondered if it would ever come to fruition and it has. As far as I'm concerned it's an innovative design and good luck to FB and his customers.
The paranoia is a result of speculation due to the lack of information. A rod for one's own back springs to mind.....

ps: I think it's a nice idea too
Link Posted: 9/23/2009 12:45:35 PM EDT
[#26]
At my last renewal I invited the officer that conducted my interview to come clay shooting. As it will mean that he gets to know some of the people he licenses better and will greatly increase his gun knowledge. The fact that the vast majority of licensing officers have no interest in shooting is so bizarre it's frightening. They wouldn't let you loose in a motorway patrol car if you didn't know how to drive it properly; so why have officers who know nothing about guns in licensing? It ridiculous policies like that which lead to CCTV operators getting shot.
Link Posted: 9/23/2009 12:54:18 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

That's precisely why I stear clear of that forum.  That idiot Baz is off his rocker and he's part of the problem, not the solution.......  So what if the Police read it?  Perhaps they should be welcomed into healthy and open debate, cos that's how issues get resolved......... lock out the regulator from our discussions and all you do is breed mistrust, become some sort of bullshit schoolboy secret society incapable of engaging and working with the regulator and as a result lose out because they think you are hiding something. So true and I accept it cuts both ways. Granted I am a shooter so on these matters does it make me bias or open-minded? I leave others to judge that. Following the bans the police largely disengaged from the shooting community at large, partly because shooters wrongly blamed mainstream Police officers for their losses, so individuals got fed up with being whined at and left their clubs or only shot in 'police circles' and the Police organisation in a bid to appease government and media hype frowned upon it's members being shooters. Thus the bonds were broken. As an aside did you know that up until the pistol ban the Met ran clubs where non-police members were welcome and officers were encouraged to participate as it supplemented their inadequate training? Yet the Police today are happy to connect and 'network' with drug users, sex offenders and other criminals, but still largely shy away from a healthy relationship and exchange with people that they have licensed as trustworthy to possess firearms. I find it quite bizarre.I was talking to an FLO the other week about it and he said (unprompted) that the utter bloody nonsense talked on Airgun BS was quite startling.  It's clear that half the people posting haven't got a clue and those that do have half an Idea like that Neil chappie lead the other plebs on a merry dance to the bullshit song.

The paranoia is a result of speculation due to the lack of information. A rod for one's own back springs to mind.....

ps: I think it's a nice idea too

You are right about the rod for his own back........but then again, does he owe ARFCOM or any other forum an explanation?..probably not.  And even if he did, the nature of forums is that they will always find something to niggle at.

I think it's great when the FLO's come down to our club but they don't half get it in the neck from some of the guys who lost their pistols - I find it a bit awkward because all the FLO's are doing is their job.

It's the nameless, faceless  shitheads at the home orrifice that deserve the grief.  They are the ones that have implemented crap legislation, using a crap framework and even worse guidance in a kneejerk reaction to a non existent threat in order to pander to brainwashed hysterical sheeple who will flock in their millions to watch a film where there are criminals engaged in gratuitous violence with the use of fireams in public streets, but wanted to see all guns banned from licensed law abiding people on authorised ranges.

Share the love - hug an FLO.

Link Posted: 9/23/2009 12:54:21 PM EDT
[#28]
Dammit......... double tap again
Link Posted: 9/24/2009 4:41:32 AM EDT
[#29]
I agree, Bob doesn't owe anyone on Arfcom or anywhere else an explanation, but I would have thought keeping interested parties fully informed about technical and legal aspects would not be much to ask...
Link Posted: 9/24/2009 4:50:22 AM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
I agree, Bob doesn't owe anyone on Arfcom or anywhere else an explanation, but I would have thought keeping interested parties fully informed about technical and legal aspects would not be much to ask...

Yes, strange that, given that the front page of a certain website is sooo informative about lower receivers from other sources

Link Posted: 9/24/2009 2:56:04 PM EDT
[#31]
Well have just returned from the range, as accurate as the unicorn is, unfortunately the lack of reliability to release the bolt is starting to become very annoying and somewhat tiresome .

I spent about 10 minutes at the beginning of the shooting session trying to get the bolt to release and a further 15 or so at the end of the night trying to establish what the problem is.

It appears that the lever release when pressed is not allowing the locking mechanism (fitted inside the lower receiver) to clear the engagement face on the underside of the bolt, on closer inspection of the bolt engagement face it would appear that the locking sear on the lower receiver is not making contact across the entire  bolt engagement face as indicated by a build up of GSR in approx 25% of the LHS of the face.

Apart from this, the rifle when functioning correctly it  is excellent; we shot an EPP match tonight and I dropped 7 points total 6 of these were during a left (weak) shoulder/hand string.

I will talk to FB tomorrow to see if he has any idea how this issue may be rectified

The rifle has now had 350 rounds through it and has been cleaned twice

Link Posted: 9/24/2009 11:45:09 PM EDT
[#32]
Barrel is 16"?...our old AUG's in 9mm had 19" barrels and were really good out to 100m...

Link Posted: 9/24/2009 11:50:03 PM EDT
[#33]
Link Posted: 9/25/2009 8:18:47 AM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Barrel is 16"?...our old AUG's in 9mm had 19" barrels and were really good out to 100m...

Eh?

Ok so it's 13.25 "........the point is 9mm goes ok out of a long barrel..

Link Posted: 9/26/2009 10:59:48 AM EDT
[#35]
Well I spoke to FB and he has asked me to return the rifle to him so that he can make the required mod to ensure the problem goes away.

Watch this space

Link Posted: 9/26/2009 11:23:28 AM EDT
[#36]
that'll be another 7 years then
Link Posted: 9/27/2009 7:00:33 AM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
Well I spoke to FB and he has asked me to return the rifle to him so that he can make the required mod to ensure the problem goes away.

Watch this space

Good luck with that!!!!
Link Posted: 11/23/2009 7:28:55 AM EDT
[#38]
I see a couple of pics on here in the pic thread (like Mousegunners below) with Unicorn's without the circular freefloat Hogue style handguards, now Bob is not keen to interrupt his production line to do this so is it a simple matter of barrel nut removal and replacing with new handguards & nut ? then slipping an A frame foresight onto the barrel ?

Link Posted: 11/23/2009 10:41:52 AM EDT
[#39]
Link Posted: 11/23/2009 11:04:20 AM EDT
[#40]

Quoted:

Yes, but bear in mind that he may have used a quart of Loctite 648 on the barrel nut

I really should have words with him about that, but he'll probably just tell me to f%&k off

yer but do it anyway

Link Posted: 12/16/2009 10:06:55 AM EDT
[#41]
May have to get in touch with the resident plumber regarding a replacment fore-end, don't want it ending up with a scaffold pole covering the barrel.

Is this a good reason to get a drum mag, has anyone else in the UK used one on 9mm ?
http://dynamicarmament.com/items/c-mag/colt-9mm-beta-c-mag-clear-plate-detail.htm
Link Posted: 12/16/2009 10:57:25 AM EDT
[#42]
Already using one. The colt 9mm tower fits the magwell perfectly. Having used one for several weeks with no stoppages i'd say it works !

Link Posted: 12/17/2009 1:03:19 PM EDT
[#43]
Just to get this straight - the Colt 100 rd mag fits and functions perfectly in an SGC Unicorn? Any photos of it all together please?? I've been promised delivery of mine next week (Merry Xmas) by SGC, fingers crossed. The only thing that has been bugging me is that the 9mm mag looks all wrong in an AR magwell, I was going to try and fab up a cover using a straight 20 round mag but looking at that drum mag its problem solved!!

Please try to post a pic.
Link Posted: 12/17/2009 1:13:08 PM EDT
[#44]
Link Posted: 12/22/2009 12:40:30 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:
Are all you Unicorners getting a chubby on now?

Please streetfighterclause, I have been a good boy all year, can I have a mid length rail for my Unicorn, and maybe some BUIS so I can ditch the crap ebay optics and scaffold pole fore end.

Looks crap, ace fun to shoot though !!
Link Posted: 12/22/2009 12:45:02 PM EDT
[#46]
Link Posted: 12/22/2009 1:03:45 PM EDT
[#47]
Thats all he's got now, forged machined lowers or something like that, see why I need a nice fore end to draw your eye from the ugly bits.
Link Posted: 12/22/2009 1:40:04 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:
What's that stupid fucking looking lower receiver?

+1
Link Posted: 12/22/2009 2:33:41 PM EDT
[#49]
I thought it was me for a minute, but the original pics show a normal lower. Doesn't that rather screw up a magwell hold? Looks kak too. Are they the same lowers he's currently uisng for .223's?
Link Posted: 12/22/2009 10:13:31 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Are all you Unicorners getting a chubby on now?

Please streetfighterclause, I have been a good boy all year, can I have a mid length rail for my Unicorn, and maybe some BUIS so I can ditch the crap ebay optics and scaffold pole fore end.

http://i253.photobucket.com/albums/hh66/sundancekid_02/unicorn.jpg

Looks crap, ace fun to shoot though !!

How long is that barrell ?
Well done on getting one , enjoy
Page / 3
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top